• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

plexxrock

Banned
Feb 19, 2019

that's just off-head, all of them easily belong on any list of the best battles the last 15 years. dumbfounded vs tantrum cemented the written era, how the fuck is that not on the list?

the 2on2 tournament from grizzle2 should probably also be on the list, due to the fact it's the highest quality (in terms of performances) we've seen since jumpoff jumped off a fucking roof and sabotaged their own business with the stolen tapes. (kotd's 2on2 tournament was fucking terrible aside from greg and pete and fresco and real deal)

Last edited:

plexxrock

Banned
Feb 19, 2019

'' IN THE KITCHEN, ONCE MORE, YOU IN THE CORNER? WHAT FOR? CHOOSE YOUR WEAPON, I'VE WON WARS, CUZ AWWW LAAAHD MY STYLE GOT A LIL BIT OF EVERYTHING HA HAAA LIKE A JUNK DRAWER''

that's the type of pen you rating. ward is terrible. walked on water/hops on waves was the perfect summaration of ward's approach to everything.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
So Cal/Mook vs. Brizz and Top just isn't going down AT ALL!? How have they not just done the battle by now?

OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
the ''list'' is 98% you blowing smack, as for not liking rapbattles? based on everything you've posted i'm gonna guess i'm probably 10 plus years your elder.

which puts your entry point in the written era, and mine all the way back to rap olympics and scribble jam.

not a single botb battle on that list? no saurus, no fresco, no soul, no bender or 24/7? no ness lee? (i can put 10-15 other names here aswell)

your example of a onesided shit kicking pales in comparasin to something like say caustic vs jefferson price or soul khan vs deacon frost or say sonny bamboo vs villun.
Ima just be real dude, you're peacocking and gatekeeping for no reason here, especially when you could be positively contribute to discussion and explaining why those battles are good entry points instead of just telling everyone how much better your list would be and the battles/styles that you think are better.

You come out the gate, assuming you're older than everyone else here and that no one here ever liked rap olympics/scribble jam because you misread that the OP focuses on modern battle rap. Ain't anything wrong with battles that came before, but I didn't want to mislead people into putting one thing in OP and modern rap battles being another way, hence the lack of GrindTime-era stuff there too. Soul Khan vs. Deacon Frost was on URL too, and I absolutely LOVE that performance from Soul Khan but you're tripping if you think the entry point to battle rap is as one-sided of a battle as that; Lux vs. Miles is an exception because it's basically something everyone has to watch and Miles' rounds are short.

There's also UK 2-on-2s, several KOTD battles on there, but that list was made years ago. URL was dominant then and is even more dominant now, it is what it is. I even admitted when I made the list that it was biased towards SMACK because I very much am, but there weren't many suggestions for good entry points then either so I just went with what there was to go with.

FWIW I think Brizz vs. Young X is one of the best entry points there is. The Saurus vs. Fresco is a good one too, so next time I get around to editing OP, I will throw that in.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Ima just be real dude, you're peacocking and gatekeeping for no reason here, especially when you could be positively contribute to discussion and explaining why those battles are good entry points instead of just telling everyone how much better your list would be and the battles/styles that you think are better.

You come out the gate, assuming you're older than everyone else here and that no one here ever liked rap olympics/scribble jam because you misread that the OP focuses on modern battle rap. Ain't anything wrong with battles that came before, but I didn't want to mislead people into putting one thing in OP and modern rap battles being another way, hence the lack of GrindTime-era stuff there too. Soul Khan vs. Deacon Frost was on URL too, and I absolutely LOVE that performance from Soul Khan but you're tripping if you think the entry point to battle rap is as one-sided of a battle as that; Lux vs. Miles is an exception because it's basically something everyone has to watch and Miles' rounds are short.

There's also UK 2-on-2s, several KOTD battles on there, but that list was made years ago. URL was dominant then and is even more dominant now, it is what it is. I even admitted when I made the list that it was biased towards SMACK because I very much am, but there weren't many suggestions for good entry points then either so I just went with what there was to go with.

FWIW I think Brizz vs. Young X is one of the best entry points there is. The Saurus vs. Fresco is a good one too, so next time I get around to editing OP, I will throw that in.
100. For someone claiming to be so much older you sure entered the thread in the most petulant way possible, not a good way to get people to take you seriously. Posting battles we've seen, acting like you're teaching us something.

uhnomoli

Oct 29, 2017
Fresco vs. Thesaurus would probably be the battle I'd show someone if I could only pick one. Pat vs Danny, Iron vs Rum, a Bill Collector battle (maybe Qleen?) would be some others. Should probably link to the Watch playlist on RYD too.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Fresco vs. Thesaurus would probably be the battle I'd show someone if I could only pick one. Pat vs Danny, Iron vs Rum, a Bill Collector battle (maybe Qleen?) would be some others. Should probably link to the Watch playlist on RYD too.
This is a good idea. They do some of the best breakdowns of battles you can find.

plexxrock

Banned
Feb 19, 2019
Ima just be real dude

i'm not peacocking or gatekeeping anything, i'm questioning why in a thread about battlerap as a whole has a list that reads like a a&b guide to smack battles? when one could argue that if it wasn't for something like dumbfounded vs tantrum you wouldn't have had the ''modern era'' of rapbattles period.

smack built his house on the foundation laid by the west, by being a much better business man than say someone like lush one and seeing the potential of breaking through to a whole new demographic.

as for the age thing, that's not an assumption really, i'd put money on it. based on phrasing and tone in this thread alone.

i'd also argue that ryd belongs in the op, since it's the biggest innovation this niche culture has seen in recent years, and for what avo is trying to create with the platform he is building.

uhnomoli

Oct 29, 2017
You're being stupid aggro for no reason. Instead of suggesting some battles get added to the OP, you're acting as if you did and people shit on it. The majority of OG stuff doesn't hold up without some factor of nostalgia and makes for a terrible intro. As much as you're trying to get on the thread for being a SMACK advert, you equally sound like a GT/KotD stan.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
yeah, makes sense. because lux vs miles for instance has aged brilliantly right? j.c being one of the most influential battlerappers ever? i almost pissed myself reading that statement.

this ougtha be good, please do tell.
You're such a haughty asshole I'm not sure why you feel you deserve any discourse at all. Your intro to the thread was a double post of straight shitting on people's opinions, not starting a discussion.

You aren't entitled to have any one gives a fuck what you think about what they think about battle rap. If you are the eldar you claim do be, I fear for the youth coming up under you. Your modus operandi is disgusting.

And if you wanna get on some rap shit we can take it there too. I'll find my mic.

plexxrock

Banned
Feb 19, 2019

questioning blatant ignorance you mean? these 13 pages read like the ''main stage'' part of otbva, which funny enough was also populated by a bunch of 20 somethings who got off to smack battles.

suburbia youth and gun lines, probably the biggest cliche ever.

''get on some rap shit'' ?

nigel plz, behave yourself son.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
questioning blatant ignorance you mean? these 13 pages read like ''main stage'' part of otbva, which funny enough was also populated by a bunch of 20 somethings who got off to smack battles.

suburbia youth and gun lines, probably the biggest cliche ever.

''get on some rap shit'' ?

nigel plz, behave yourself son.
You have social issues, there is no point in talking to you. You don't know how t start r mantain a cnversation.

Let me help. How to start a conversation on a forum:

Hey enzo_gt I disagree with your choices for the "where do I start?" section of the OP. May I suggest a few additions? *provide examples, reasoning, and feedback* You know, like a mature adult.

But nah you come in with "the op suggestions of ''where to start'' are so fucking awful i find it hard to believe they are even sincere" even though the person who made the thing had posted two dang posts above, yet you couldn't even nut up and address him directly like a man.

I'm way beyond my 20s or even 30s so we aren't going back and forth on any wiser god bullshit either. There's no discussion to be had because of your poor perspective on things, so we're done.

As a wise man once said: You want it one way, but it's the other way.

plexxrock

Banned
Feb 19, 2019
nut up and address him directly like a man.

would this be the part of the saga where you venture off to ''find your mic'' ? you attempting to ''high road'' it when you led off with ''get on some rap shit'' and ''find my mic'' ? and for your finale you quote a fictional character from the wire?

to call you a cornball would be a massive understatement.

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I know this place doesn't get a ton of attention, but seriously guys. Pointing out how low quality his posts are isn't going to suddenly make them not low quality.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
So been watching battle rap since early 2000's with Scribble Jam vids and Smack DVDs. What really got me into it was the WRCs and Nocando. Then was super excited when Grindtime started along with KotD. Hollow easily became my favourite with Nocan being 2nd after his battle with Philly Swain and I used watch his battles all the time. I would skip his opponents verses and just watch his verses even in battles he lost. I sorta lost interest in battle rap around 2012-13 when battles were getting super long and I wasn't getting a lot of the references anymore. I'm originally from a 'rougher' area Toronto so I thought it was lame to see all these Canadian kids with gun bars. I eventually just tuned in to watch Hollow battles once a year. I think the last one I saw was him vs Lux.

Just wanted to say that watching the Watch Ruin commentary on classic and new battles is getting me back into battle rap.

My fondest memories were the hay day of the rapmusic.com forums which OTBVA is a spinoff of. It was full of trolls but a lot of the battle rappers themselves would post in the forums. They had accounts there since the scribble jam days. Then the newer GT and KotD rappers made accounts as well. The best part was the ability to anonymously leave tags in each topic and boy did people get creative with them. They would be downright hilarious.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Oh and BotB5 is still the greatest event of all time. Surprisingly none of those battles are recommended in the OP

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017

Massacre 5 this weekend yall! Predictions?

Geechi 2-1 over Bigg K: I think K is going to have one really good round, but Geechi's consistency and evolution has been pretty dope to watch. He's almost doing a bit of everything at this point. Expecting quite a few haymakers every round.

Rum Nitty 3-0 over Charron: This has to be Charron's toughest match, pen and rapping ability wise. I'm going against the grain on this one.

Illmac 2-1 over IllWill: Illmac hasn't lost since Rone. IllWill has the personality and the jokes....but Illmac's pen is simply on a different level.

Pass 3-0 over E Ness: E Ness is going to rap and dance....and be entertaining...Pass is going to smoke him.

XCel 3-0 over Quest: I just don't think Quest's aggression is going to enough to match Xcel's pen.

Chilla 2-1 over Real Deal: Chilla's first defense, I expect him to snap. Don't think Real Deal's angles are going to be enough.

So many battles dropping on the app, I forget about YT sometimes.

Mike P/Serius Jones dropped on the app. Debatable body. Mike P is on fire! Rapping and writing all 3 rounds were on point. The guy has refined his style a lot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I've been busy, but man, this thread was the most poppin' its been when I get trolled. Troll me more often y'all, I can take it.

Few really good battles recently I caught:

Krack Liberty Battle League: Charron vs. Twork. Great battle, although I think it's clear to Charron. The Smack killer continues his tear.

iBattle TV: Bangz vs. Chef Trez. Must watch IMO. Two freestyle kings going at it. Not the most consistent battle (honestly one-sided), but seeing this sort of thing is great for the culture. Great atmosphere (as iBattleTV always has).

KOTD: Illmaculate vs. B Magic. Magic showing shades of his classic self in this battle, which is super exciting to see, until you remember that also includes him being one of the biggest choke artists in battle rap. Ima be honest, Illmac was fire but I like Magic's style and how dynamic it is so much that I kinda enjoyed the parts where Magic's rapping more than the rest of the battle TBH.

Also, this is really discussion worthy: Organik talks about how KOTD's 2018 events resulted in him losing $74k and going into debt. Explains a lot about KOTD being quiet this past year, I really hope they get back in the black. Tay Roc and other battle rappers pulling out of Shotty Horroh's UK event left Shotty broke too. I'm honestly convinced URL only perseveres because they have their money game together even though they get a lot of shit for it. ARP seems to have his stuff together too. KOTD just had bad luck TBH.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
It's really fucked up what happened with Shotty's event, I was really looking forward to it. I'm pretty sure i've said this numerous times, but the culture will NEVER evolve with this level of fuckery and bad business with it's artists.

I had Illmac 30'ing Magic. There were some shades of the old Magic though, which was nice to see. I hope Illmac is on Traffic 4, long overdue.

Also, Danny Myers VS. Chess, Cassidy VS. Arsonal......URL is just nonstop with these events yo!

OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
It's really fucked up what happened with Shotty's event, I was really looking forward to it. I'm pretty sure i've said this numerous times, but the culture will NEVER evolve with this level of fuckery and bad business with it's artists.

I had Illmac 30'ing Magic. There were some shades of the old Magic though, which was nice to see. I hope Illmac is on Traffic 4, long overdue.

Also, Danny Myers VS. Chess, Cassidy VS. Arsonal......URL is just nonstop with these events yo!
I agree. The economics of battle rap haven't progressed much over the past decade, they only really started making moves when YouTube money was/is in danger. People like Math helped keep it that way too TBH. There needs to be some sort of consortium of leagues that bans/fines/suspends battle rappers for stealing deposits across the board. It's crazy how much battle rappers get away with and still complain.

Illmac and Thesaurus being left off of Summer Impact was a crime TBH. If they're not on the next 2-on-2 card, someone is fucking up. Illmac def deserves his shot since the whole Duel in the Desert thing happened.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Mook swung on Brizz, ended the battle early. This culture is just stuck in the dumps for all eternity. SMH.

Jakkboy choked his ass off and got 30'd by Franchise.

Ace and Snake seemed pretty debatable.

Need to catch up on the NWX/Monstars, but I heard NWX did their thing.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
SMH. Just saw the footage.

Fuck Mook. They probably fucked up URL's access to a good venue in NY JUST as they got it back. Jesus christ.
Brizz was definitely bugging though. He was all over the stage while Mook and Cal were rapping. Also can we PLEASE stop with these damn entourages, having a ton of people on stage that have nothing to do with the battle.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
URL LockDown Full Card
Cassidy/Arsonal
JC/Shotgun Suge
DNA/Bill Collector
Twork/Calicoe
Geechi/Tay Roc
K Shine/Reed Dollaz

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Excited for Twork/Calicoe and Geechi/Tay Roc especially. Others are not terrible battles either. Cassidy is going to get destroyed like Mistah Fab did.
I think Cassidy will do better, I mean he has to right? Arsonal isn't bar heavy, so he'll have a possible advantage. But Ars has other strengths (like the disrespect, and invasion of personal space) that is definitely going to test him again.

Also, really curious to see how Calicoe matches up against Twork.

OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
So uh....Soul Khan's back....
This is a huge get for KOTD, I have no idea how they convinced him to come back. He was more anti-coming back than most vets. Guess no one ever really retires when they need some money again. TBH, I'm not even that mad at the match-up.

Would love to see him work his way back to battle Surf (IIRC?) who ran from him back in the day. It's been so long I don't even remember if it was Surf or someone else. Was it Conceited? It's going to be really hard for Soul Khan to adjust, I think, but if he can, I think he'll do a lot better than most vets when they come back.

Real Deal vs. Chilla, again, though, as the next KOTD title match is so wack. I think Chilla got it too but it's kind of boring and disrespectful to run it back so soon.

OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Twork vs. Calicoe is probably the biggest let down of a big match-up since T-Rex vs. Cortez. Last 4 rounds of the battle all ended early, SMFH.

Anyways, reply to this post for a stream link.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
EDIT: I've never seen some shit as biased as them booing Arsonal that hard as he walks out and cheering for Cassidy that much. Philly crowd has been trash all night.

EDIT: Cassidy vs. Arsonal is exhausting to watch, Cassidy moreso than Arsonal. Cass' first started out nice and went downhill from there, just like the Goodz battle. Arsonal at least had some moments peppered through the rest of his rounds. Cass ain't even spit yet and I edge every round to Ars.

Last edited:

FoxJenkins

Dec 12, 2017
That shit was awful. Terrible. Roc and Geechi may have been the best battle but then I'm only going off geechis first. Disappointing event thru and thru

OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017

Both Suge and Top were terrible TBH, outside of the EBT Awards line. Really don't know how to play to the crowd. Not the best look, but DNA's first round makes it worthwhile. Geechi wasn't bad other, but he got the going second curse.

sbdesignworks

Nov 2, 2018
I bought the Lockdown PPV, pretty dissapointing card tbh! Gonna rewatch later as I missed JC/suge bet everything else was trash.

OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
KOTD: Charron vs. Rum Nitty. Good battle, I think it's the closest of all the Charron vs. Smack gunner battles. Gonna need to give it a rewatch but I think I edge Charron for his higher highs, especially in the 2nd IIRC.

GO-RILLA WARFARE: Goodz vs. Gauge. Fire, Gauge is really dope and has a unique style. I think I actually edge him, Goodz was definitely big boying him the whole time though.

"You ain't met the plug until you hit the range and he rides up on a horse"

"I was lucky to get 50 cents a pound from the metal man"

GODDAMN.

Town Bidness 2 is crazy....CRAZY!
The core card is crazy.

EDIT: RX vs. Myverse now too! WHEW

EDIT2: URL PGs: JMORR vs. Diezel. JMORR is kinda nice. Nothing too novel but still dope.

EDIT3: URL: Nunn Nunn vs. Burke Bucs. Clear bodybag for Nunn Nunn IMO, even if Bucs hadn't have been such a choke artist. He had some INSANE name flips in this battle that did not get the reaction they deserved.

URL: Geechi Gotti vs. John John Da Don. They both came at like 60% TBH. Debatable but nothing exceptional enough for me to call it one way or another.

Last edited:

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
John John was trying to kill that man, but I slightly edged it to Geechi. Nunn caught a body, good on him being back from "retirement" and all, his punches and buck flips were nasty.

So slightly off-topic but not really.....have any of you guys seen this DNA's Tooth mess....lmao. This culture is truly special.