• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
From the Battlefield 1 Easter Egg Discord:

rsDIXYa.png

Leads to a page on the official EA website: https://www.ea.com/neverbethesame

uYFna8L.png

Easter egg in question:

(if it isn't working: https://streamable.com/92ph2)

Looks like about as official a trailer teaser as we're going to get. Slogan seems to be "Battlefield will never be the same."

Let the speculation begin.

Last edited:

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Why not wait until E3 :/ ? I don't understand companies announcing games right before E3!

TheLionsDen

Oct 27, 2017
QC/NYC
'Never Be The Same'

I wonder if that means we'll be getting something different than what the rumours have been saying, WW2 or Bad Company 3.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
So not Bad Company 3?

Oh for fucks sake. To me, ' Battlefield will never be the same ' reads as ' We're going to introduce Battle Royale to Battlefield, and it's here to stay. ' I hope I'm wrong though.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both Battlefield and Call Of Duty going for a marketing theme that wants to subvert our expectations. Interesting.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah "Never be the same" smells like Battly Royale. As long as they deliver the normal Battlefield experience (Conquest, Rush etc) as well I'm fine with it.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Find it funny that both Call of Duty and Battfield are going with the reinvention theme at the same time.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Somebody has to properly explain to me how Battle Royale, in any way, fits into the Battlefield template? Especially if a WW2 battlefield?

Are you going to play as Japanese soldiers stranded on an island after the war, not realising its finished and its a case of survival by shooting and eating the other 99?

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Somebody has to properly explain to me how Battle Royale, in any way, fits into the Battlefield template? Especially if a WW2 battlefield?

Are you going to play as Japanese soldiers stranded on an island after the war, not realising its finished and its a case of survival by shooting and eating the other 99?

It doesn't need to have a story reason for a free for all mode. The previous free for all modes never had a story behind them.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It doesn't need to have a story reason for a free for all mode. The previous free for all modes never had a story behind them.

I know it doesn't. But its going to feel hella out of place. Given battlefield is primarily large team combat....which ultimately is congruous to large scale conflicts. Having 100 players drop in and slug it out, doesn't seem like a fit narratively, or even gameplay wise.

To me its almost like they need a separate BR experience utilising the engine but changing the gameplay considerably to fit that mode. Look at PUBG/Fortnite and those games are fully designed around a BR style. I can't imagine just dumping the BF mechanics into a BR mode will be fun, but even more so I can't imagine it is something that will capture the BF community at all, given that isn't why people play the game.

And if you're playing Fortnite/PUBG 24-7 why would you spend ÂŁ55 on a BF game that has a BR mode less curated than the game you're playing?

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield with a realistic mode and a fantasy mode. Flying cars, tanks, and unicorns.

A man can dream!

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's just a multiplayer mode, you don't need a story lol

But again its more than just a story. It would be weird parachuting in as a Japanese soldier and killing other Japanese soldiers. It would be weird in many ways.

Beyond that though the core gameplay of a BF game is so remote from BR that I find it a huge stretch to see how they would do it as anything other than a token novelty mode that is barely played. The BF community want a proper large scale battle game. They don't want that diluted by some tacked on, ill-fitting BR game.

Especially when you see that the best thing in BF1 was operations. Large scale battles with some narrative placing the real conflicts in context and recreating the feeling of WW1 to a small extent. BF has always been about recreating the feels.

BR still to me seems way out of place.

Compsiox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What new stuff will be introduced if its WW2 (gameplay-wise)? It wasn't even long after WW1.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will make their battle royale mode free to play and an attempt to up-sell people to the full product.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
What new stuff will be introduced if its WW2 (gameplay-wise)? It wasn't even long after WW1.

I imagine behemoths are going to be back in the game, but they'll probably have to find a way to make them more important.

As it is in BF1, you're losing and get a behemoth, which promptly removes about 5 people from your team who would be better served trying to cap flags.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Why not wait until E3 :/ ? I don't understand companies announcing games right before E3!

Because we're talking about this game on it's own. Right now. Get your game out first and give it a head start in terms of mindshare and discussion. Also, leaks in the week or so before E3 tend to undermine carefully planned messaging. So get out first, on your terms.

Compsiox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
I imagine behemoths are going to be back in the game, but they'll probably have to find a way to make them more important.

As it is in BF1, you're losing and get a behemoth, which promptly removes about 5 people from your team who would be better served trying to cap flags.

That's them working as intended. A mechanic that routinely swapped the winning and losing team would be pretty awful. Behemoths clearly aren't intended for that, they are quite obviously made to be too little, too late.

What they do well though is help prevent a stagnant base massacre snooze fest. Something BF1 has vastly improved on over its predecessors.

TaurezAG

Oct 29, 2017
There were some elements of BR in BF3's Scavenger gamemode. I can see DICE building upon this and making a BR mode.

OP
OP

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017

I mean, there's a reason that BF1 had to dredge up a bunch of barely-functional prototypes and such. The only reason anybody knows the Hellriegel exists is because of two photos. Nobody knew the Selbstlater 1906 until like 2007. The Char C2 wasn't even built until well after the war ended.

WWI and WWII had very different levels of technology.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
If they do BR.. BF goes TPS? People love BR for the TPS casualness and peaking around corners. FPS PUBG is the tryhard stressful version nobody likes.
Guess my friends and I are nobody, feels bad. We don't find 3rd person battleroyale enjoyable at all and have been dying for a AAA dev like Dice to do the PUBG-FPP style experience.

Compsiox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there's a reason that BF1 had to dredge up a bunch of barely-functional prototypes and such. The only reason anybody knows the Hellriegel exists is because of two photos. Nobody knew the Selbstlater 1906 until like 2007. The Char C2 wasn't even built until well after the war ended.

WWI and WWII had very different levels of technology.
I guess I'm just hoping there will be a big difference from past WW2 games. I dont know. Idk if WW2 on a modern Battlefield scale will be enough of a draw for me. Heres hoping the Battle Royale is real.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Guess my friends and I are nobody, feels bad. We don't find 3rd person battleroyale enjoyable at all and have been dying for a AAA dev like Dice to do the PUBG-FPP style experience.
Nah I'm with you on FP. Actually at this point, anything that gives it a further distinction from Fortnite would probably be best.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Can't fucking wait.

PUBG is fun, but you know, E S P O R T S - R E A D Y. Also, gunplay feels bad.
Fortnite is just boring to me, and the map is rather empty and small.

But damn, Battlefield with BR? I'm in.

Yeah it's an exciting prospect to get a BR game that is actually fun to play mechanically, like Battlefield. While the plot and dynamic of PUBG is exhilarating, I am not convinced the yankiness is necessary. If they can figure out the health and items balance for Battlefield engine, it'll be killer.