• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
And all without a single piece of seasonal content.
bf7qjhf.png

UmbranUndying

Feb 20, 2022
For reference, Halo Infinite's playing right now (2900) is higher than 2042's 24 hour peak on Steam. Neither game has a healthy player base on the platform, but 2042's numbers are really dire.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
I think it's just a matter of time before they try to gain some active players by putting the game on EA Play/GamePass/PS Plus

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved. Some how Battlefield has gone from EA's Premier FPS Franchise to an embarrassment its really sad..

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It's such a garbage game. There are at least 20 random free to plays I could install on Steam that I would have more fun with than this.

How many players are playing the older games, like BFV? I still have V installed on PS5.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Expected, this game was/is a disaster and might kill off the brand entirely. Makes it all the more amusing how the defenders would relentlessly attack anyone who talked about it's problems in the OT back around release.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
If someone had tried to sabotage DICE, they couldn't have done this much damage. I've never seen a developer screw himself up this much before.

But hey, we learned our lesson!

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
It's such a garbage game. There are at least 20 random free to plays I could install on Steam that I would have more fun with than this.

How many players are playing the older games, like BFV? I still have V installed on PS5.

bfvsejqb.png

This is just on Steam.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
The moment hackers/cheaters ANNOUNCED they were no longer supporting this game - that was the death knell.

Let the hype cycle for BF6 start! /s

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
That's the best thing that could happen honestly. They've killed the franchise.
They haven't. Yes this game is an absolute joke but people are still craving Battlefield, hence why they're looking for alternatives or just playing V/1/4 etc. I don't think EA (or DICE, really) are in a good position to fill that gap atm though but we'll see

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
bfvsejqb.png

This is just on Steam.

Yeah I guess a lot of the BF players just went back, or never moved forward then.

They should drop a next gen update for Battlefield V, give everyone that bought 2042 a free copy and just forget it exists, work on something else.

I don't think there's any saving it since many of the things I hate about it are very fundamental to the design.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
100% called this one during the Beta. It's insane to me how utterly out of touch EA and DICE have become around Battlefield.

OP
OP
Stacey

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Problem with "moving on" is they owe paying players a years worth of content, four seasons to be exact

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I guess a lot of the BF players just went back, or never moved forward then.

They should drop a next gen update for Battlefield V, give everyone that bought 2042 a free copy and just forget it exists, work on something else.

I don't think there's any saving it since many of the things I hate about it are very fundamental to the design.

Going back to BFV (and maybe even Battlefront II) and continuing their content like the planned eastern front expansion would be a great start to a redemption arc for DICE. Killing off support for those two games right as they were hitting their stride so that we could end up with BF2042 is one of the worst trades ever.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I would say I hope they fix it but lol

Man you just had to make BF4 but nicer looking. You could have even sold skins and shit if the game was good.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why companies keep doing this to themselves, but EA gonna EA.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I can't believe they didn't even take a serious stab at fixing bugs. It's hard to even comment and give feedback on the core mechanics when bugs are so prevalent and unfixed. It's shocking where they started with the franchise and where they are today.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Battlefront died for this shit
I agree, such a shame! Especially after they made the game so much more enjoyable, it's a blast to play now. I'd rather these resources had been used to add content to that instead or just "remaster" BF4 with 2042 graphics.

2042 proved to be a massive waste of everyone's time, but most important they wasted a lot of talented people on this just because leadership couldn't decide on what they wanted.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
it's not even worth saving. waste of time and resources. just go for BF 6
I kind of agree. It's a fundamentally flawed game in many respects. I understand what they were going for but it clearly didn't work… so back to the drawing board.

Used to be a huge BF fan but I haven't played this behind the 10 hour trial. BFV was left to die too soon… the bones of that game were good and they got it into a pretty solid spot by the time support was dropped.

Avik-G

alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2021
Just abandon it. It is not even worth saving TBH.

I am however, happy to see BF V still has a userbase. It is a very, very decent game that got an insane amount of hate at launch for all the wrong reasons. And the DLC maps have been really great too.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
It's such a shame. I loved the idea of the game before the beta and I felt it would be a return to form and the first BF for me since 4... Boy was I wrong.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
What also kills them is the starting weapon kits are awful. I tried playing with two people who haven't played yet. What little players are left have such insane vehicles that can hover and fly around a million miles per hour, and the starting kits new players have can't do jack shit to stop them.

After two games of getting decimated by overpowered vehicles and not being able to do anything about it, we all just hopped in Battlefield 4 instead. Trash game design. It is such a wall for any new player who might be curious to give the game a shot.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
EA seems to still be stuck on the 2-3 year cycle when it comes to BF. It makes sense as their biggest competitor COD is annual (except this year or next?) but when you have a fumble as bad as 2042, some bean counter at EA goes "we don't have enough resources to fix this, it wouldn't pay off".

I feel real bad for the people who paid for it, and for the people willing to look past its faults, but the game lives or dies by having a playerbase, and this is quite bad (even if it is only 1 storefront).

Tulike

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, tried logging in PS5 on friday night on a highlighted section of Friday with Battlefield or something like that thinking I would find some players on Portal but it was me versus another poor soul fighting with helis while two bot armies were battling over the flags... Thank god I did not spend a penny on it (EA Play Trial).