• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
*The Beta.
IGN being IGN haha

The source they put in the image and not even link..

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
You would think with MS dropping gold for F2P titles that this would also apply to alpha's and beta's.

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the end, the game will require psplus and livegold. So, not big deal at all.

Oct 25, 2017
This happens because Sony's store lists betas and pre-release demos as "free games" which get an exemption from the Plus requirement. This does not seem to happen on Xbox or Switch.

This has happened before with the Dark Souls Remastered network test which did not require Plus on PS4 but required Switch Online on Nintendo Switch.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I genuinely wonder how many people own an Xbox, don't have gold, and are interested in trying out a beta for a game that would require both gold and a purchase of the game itself to play after release.

I mean it's kinda weak … but it's for a four-day beta. Not really a big deal.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Sounds like a leftover snag from Xbox's recent change of policy? Keep making noise land I'm sure they'll change this for future betas

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
It will be sad if IGN getting away with this.
Misleading title, posting news without quoting original tweets, twisting what original tweet said.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly tho....how many people really don't have Xbox Live? I feel like 99% of XB players have it compared to PS+ so....this is kind of not an issue?

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
This happens because Sony's store lists betas and pre-release demos as "free games" which get an exemption from the Plus requirement. This does not seem to happen on Xbox or Switch.

This has happened before with the Dark Souls Remastered network test which did not require Plus on PS4 but required Switch Online on Nintendo Switch.
Well, COD Vanguard open beta didn't require XBL Gold.
news.xbox.com

Everything You Need to Know About the Multiplayer Beta for Call of Duty: Vanguard - Xbox Wire

From unparalleled map and mode offerings at launch, to new tactical gameplay and a global cast of operators, Call of Duty: Vanguard is ready to rise on every front when it launches on November 5. But you don’t have to wait that long to get your first taste of the action that’s in store. Starting […]
"As a note to Xbox Players: an Xbox Live Gold membership will be required to play in the early access period, but will not be required to play in the open beta period for most regions."

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
So, people looking for BF2042, a multiplayer game only that will need a mandatory Gold (or Plus) subscription to be used when it launches, are not already subscribed to Gold ? Who is really believing that ?

EDIT : wait. Where is the info that PS+ isn't needed for the open beta ? Because if you read the Open Beta disclaimer :

REGISTRATION DOES NOT GUARANTEE ACCESS TO BATTLEFIELD 2042 OPEN BETA. REQUIRES PERSISTENT INTERNET CONNECTION, EA ACCOUNT, ACCEPTANCE OF (I) PRE-RELEASE FEEDBACK AGREEMENT (OPEN), (II) PRIVACY & COOKIE POLICY, AND (III) ORIGIN END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT (FOR PC USERS), INSTALLATION OF THE ORIGIN CLIENT SOFTWARE (WWW.ORIGIN.COM/ABOUT) (FOR PC USERS), AND, FOR CONSOLE USERS, A XBOX LIVE GOLD OR PLAYSTATION PLUS SUBSCRIPTION (BOTH SOLD SEPARATELY).

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly tho....how many people really don't have Xbox Live? I feel like 99% of XB players have it compared to PS+ so....this is kind of not an issue?

To extrapolate that further, how many people who are interested enough in playing an online only multiplayer game like Battlefield 2042 to download and play the beta don't have Xbox Live Gold/PS+?

Daimon

Chief Editor at ZWAME
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT : wait. Where is the info that PS+ isn't needed for the open beta ? Because if you read the Open Beta disclaimer :

It's in the oficial FAQ.

The Battlefield 2042 Open Beta is available to play on PC (via Origin, EA app, Steam, and Epic) and console (PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5, Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S). Please note, PlayStation Plus is not needed to participate in the Open Beta, however, if you're playing on Xbox you will need to be an Xbox Live Gold subscriber.

www.ea.com

Battlefield 2042 Frequently Asked Questions – Electronic Arts

Battlefield 2042 Frequently Asked Questions – Learn about modes, maps, weapons, and more

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
So which one is the correct one ? The disclaimer (which I think is legally biding) or the FAQ (which is not).

Anyway, it doesn't change the fact that I don't see anyone interested remotely by BF2042 not already subscribed to Gold or PS+.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
So which one is the correct one ? The disclaimer (which I think is legally biding) or the FAQ (which is not).

Anyway, it doesn't change the fact that I don't see anyone interested remotely by BF2042 not already subscribed to Gold or PS+.
I agree that it's not a massive deal but it wouldn't hurt to have this changed 🤷‍♂️

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
Requiring XBL Gold is still a thing? I'm sure I read that they lifted this restriction some time back, so why is it still a thing in some cases like pre-release betas etc? They need to do better and go all the way in releasing this restriction.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
Requiring XBL Gold is still a thing? I'm sure I read that they lifted this restriction some time back, so why is it still a thing in some cases like pre-release betas etc? They need to do better and go all the way in releasing this restriction.

they removed it for all F2P games, but beta tied to a paid game seems to be in some sort of grey area...

Yzec

Dec 11, 2019
Belgium
It's a non-issue imo. What bothers me way more is IGN posting this blatantly false info (without the source they missquoted) and it's still up after 12 hours lol.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I don't really think Xbox can afford to have this disparity, where Sony don't. I fail to see the need for GWG either, but it's there as the only (barely) passable driver for XBL fees.

Oct 25, 2017
To extrapolate that further, how many people who are interested enough in playing an online only multiplayer game like Battlefield 2042 to download and play the beta don't have Xbox Live Gold/PS+?

Exactly. The "announcement" is so unnecessary and honestly bait to rile people up for no reason. This is a literal non issue