• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
IGN Brazil just tweeted and deleted soon after:

ZETo4JI.jpg

EA reveals new Battlefield for smartphones and even more news about Battlefield 6, with even more players.

br.ign.com

Novo Battlefield para celulares e Battlefield 6 com ainda mais jogadores

EA confirma duas novas experiências Battlefield em desenvolvimento - uma para consoles e PCs e outra para celulares

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I mean wont it happen at EA Play like every single year? They just seem to be skipping the teasing this year.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Rumors have been about teaser type reveal for late April / early May with full gameplay reveal bit later (EA Play most likely).

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, an announcement in the middle of April would be cool. I've been excited to hear something about BF6, honestly.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Most likely yes. From memory, both Battlefield 1 and V were formally revealed in May, and Battlefield 4 in April, with trailers that showcased the aesthetic and tonal presentation along with an assortment of features presented in cinematic format. They were both followed by formal gameplay reveals and proper details/interviews in June at EA Play.

I assume Battlefield 6 will follow a similar format. I'm pretty sure Battlefield 3 was also technically announced/revealed prior to E3. DICE/EA's format with the series for about a decade now has been to announce and reveal the setting/tone/title before E3, and then follow up with media and gameplay during June events.

Boogolo

Nov 1, 2020
My guess is a CGI video in May which highlights the platforms, the features and some flashy look at the modern vehicles and weapons. Then in June/July we get a look at actual gameplay with a release in November

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
My guess is a CGI video in May which highlights the platforms, the features and some flashy look at the modern vehicles and weapons. Then in June/July we get a look at actual gameplay with a release in November

DICE hasn't done CGI reveal trailers since they started to use Frostbite engine. All those have been in-engine with maximum hero assets so they do look better than actual gameplay ends up looking.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The "in engine"(CGI) trailer will be May. Actual footage in June.

DICE hasn't done CGI reveal trailers since they started to use Frostbite engine. All those have been in-engine with maximum hero assets so they do look better than actual gameplay ends up looking.

What is the actual real world difference between CGI and in engine footage rendered offline?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's this about BF for mobile?

I really miss the commander mode. There was something fun about heavily influencing a 64 player game of BF4 while sitting on the toilet!

Jan 10, 2018
The "in engine"(CGI) trailer will be May. Actual footage in June.

What is the actual real world difference between CGI and in engine footage rendered offline?

In-engine means that the video is rendered using the actual game engine, in this case Frostbite. When it comes to Battlefield the trailers operate much like fan movies where the creator directs the action using tools already found within the game and its engine.

CGI however is achieved with powerful rendering software such as Adobe After Effects, which is not exclusive to video games. It takes a lot more horsepower to create these effects as they are more complex in geometry, destruction etc. The movie 2012 for instance had a very expensive scene where the ground caved in as a car was driving through a city. You would think that the animator was behind the look of the destruction but it was all the work of the powerful CGI software and its capability to create random destruction that looked very life-like.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
This sounds so good and hopefully Dice delivers the ultimate BF experience. Seems like Next gen exclusive confirmed 👌
It has everything we love about Battlefield – and takes all of it to the next level. Epic scale. All-out military warfare. Crazy, unexpected moments. Game-changing destruction. Massive battles, packed with more players and mayhem than ever before. All brought to life with the power of next-gen consoles and PCs.
www.ea.com

The Battlefield is Expanding

An update on the next Battlefield for PC and console – and the franchise going mobile from DICE General Manager Oskar Gabrielson.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
What is the actual real world difference between CGI and in engine footage rendered offline
The difference as I understand it is in engine uses assets from the game and is captured using the engine. GCI has assets specifically build for it and nothing to do with the game technically.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The battlefield trailer isn't that far off.
It sure is.

The difference as I understand it is in engine uses assets from the game and is captured using the engine. GCI has assets specifically build for it and nothing to do with the game technically.

Except BF in engine trailers are full of assets/lighting/animation/destruction/reflections that dont exist in the actual game. The only difference today between "in engine" and CGI is the engine used. Given that todays game engines can produce CGI level visuals when the realtime requirement is thrown out the window its a meaningless difference.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Except BF in engine trailers are full of assets/lighting/animation/destruction/reflections that dont exist in the actual game. The only difference today between "in engine" and CGI is the engine used. Given that todays game engines can produce CGI level visuals when the realtime requirement is thrown out the window its a meaningless difference.

We don't make trailer-specific assets or levels. :) That would be a waste of valuable time, people, and resources that would better go into the actual game itself.

Technically, any trailer we show is playable, but the content they show has been tailored and scripted to create some drama, hype and to hook players to the game. With some smart camera placements and timing of events.

If you see a location in a trailer that may differ from the same one in the actual game, that is due to dev iteration between the trailer work and the release, and due to optimisations to bring things into performance.

HolyFridge

Aug 11, 2018
The trailer has probably been shot entirely from in-game shots. And it will probably say so in the beginning of the trailer. No BS this time around, no need for that.. ;)

xem

Oct 31, 2017
We don't make trailer-specific assets or levels. :) That would be a waste of valuable time, people, and resources that would better go into the actual game itself.

Technically, any trailer we show is playable, but the content they show has been tailored and scripted to create some drama, hype and to hook players to the game. With some smart camera placements and timing of events.

If you see a location in a trailer that may differ from the same one in the actual game, that is due to dev iteration between the trailer work and the release, and due to optimisations to bring things into performance.
giphy.gif

It works!

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

You can get into technicalities of developer intention but the end result is still a reveal trailer that looks like it was made for an entirely different generation of hardware.

Reveal trailer compared to the retail map.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
You can get into technicalities of developer intention but the end result is still a reveal trailer that looks like it was made for an entirely different generation of hardware.

That reveal trailer looks like a moving bullshot to me. It's not as far off from the final product as a CGI trailer is.

You can look at aspects of it - effects, foliage, geometry - and glean visual information about the actual game. It's 'representative' - the assets shown in a really polished and orchestrated way.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
That reveal trailer looks like a moving bullshot to me. It's not as far off from the final product as a CGI trailer is.

You can look at aspects of it - effects, foliage, geometry - and glean visual information about the actual game. It's 'representative' - the assets shown in a really polished and orchestrated way.
Couldnt that all be said for this as well?

Hawkeye 131

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My only complaint about Battlefield reveals is I'd much prefer actual gameplay rather than the overly scripted Michael Bay explosion-fests that we typically see.

Oct 30, 2017

Honestly I thought it was a dope reveal trailer. I wouldn't have had any expectation that the actual game would look 100% like that. Overlaying the UI on top of very apparent bespoke animation is cheap, I'll admit, but if you think that sort of lighting, bokeh, and smooth animation is indicative of actual gameplay on PS4/XB1 then I don't know what to tell you.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Honestly I thought it was a dope reveal trailer. I wouldn't have had any expectation that the actual game would look 100% like that. Overlaying the UI on top of very apparent bespoke animation is cheap, I'll admit, but if you think that sort of lighting, bokeh, and smooth animation is indicative of actual gameplay on PS4/XB1 then I don't know what to tell you.
I knew it was for all intents and purposes CGI the second I saw it. Its awesome to watch dont get me wrong. Here is an in engine trailer I find representative with some "hero asset polishing."

Now that is decently representative of the experience we got with the pacific expansion.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Couldnt that all be said for this as well?

I wouldn't say so. It translates nothing about geometry detail, effects (like fire and smoke), or foliage shading & density from the actual game.

But as I said the BFV reveal trailer looked like a moving bullshot to me. You can read what a game would actually look like underneath the manipulation of a bullshot, but you can't do that with a CGI trailer.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I wouldn't say so. It translates nothing about geometry detail, effects (like fire and smoke), or foliage shading & density from the actual game.

But as I said the BFV reveal trailer looked like a moving bullshot to me. You can read what a game would actually look like underneath the manipulation of a bullshot, but you can't do that with a CGI trailer.
It translates all of those to the same degree the BFV trailer does. it just shows quick few second glimpses of various levels as opposed to a long sequence of 1 particular level.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The only difference today between "in engine" and CGI is the engine used. Given that todays game engines can produce CGI level visuals when the realtime requirement is thrown out the window its a meaningless difference.
The difference is clearly the usage of in-game assets as developers said when discussing these topics before. Those perhaps are all LOD0 assets, but the fact that they are in-game assets mean for me that you can get a feel for the game. That's why I prefer them over GCI, which does nothing for me.

I recently played BF5 and I am not saying this is how the game looks on consoles. But playing it recently means it's in my mind and watching this trailer lets me say with confidence those are in-game assets. You can see it best when the soldier is on the ground and you see his face for example. The trailer overall looks better, but it's not a generational leap as you suggested.

In-engine trailers remind me a bit of racing game photo modes really. Just games using LOD0 and more post processing to make the imagine look better. But nothing impossible or several generations ahead. In fact the hair in the BF5 trailer looks worse than the new models hair in FIFA 21 and it's easily noticable.

I agree with your comment here.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The difference is clearly the usage of in-game assets as developers said when discussing these topics before. Those perhaps are all LOD0 assets, but the fact that they are in-game assets mean for me that you can get a feel for the game. That's why I prefer them over GCI, which does nothing for me.

I recently played BF5 and I am not saying this is how the game looks on consoles. But playing it recently means it's in my mind and watching this trailer lets me say with confidence those are in-game assets. You can see it best when the soldier is on the ground and you see his face for example. The trailer overall looks better, but it's not a generational leap as you suggested.

In-engine trailers remind me a bit of racing game photo modes really. Just games using LOD0 and more post processing to make the imagine look better. But nothing impossible or several generations ahead. In fact the hair in the BF5 trailer looks worse than the new models hair in FIFA 21 and it's easily noticable.
I agree with your comment here.
Ok, plz point me to the house in the actual game that has that high fidelity lighting and GI. Show me realtime bullet holes dynamically affecting the lighting of these buildings as well. Show me those high poly tank and character models with superb micro detail. Show me those high poly tree models, individual pieces of the bridge being blown off and interacting with the terrain in such a complex fashion, planes crashing and leaving complex deformation trails in the terrain etc etc etc. This is the twisted steel map btw just to save you some time.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Ok, plz point me to the house in the actual game that has that high fidelity lighting and GI. Show me realtime bullet holes dynamically affecting the lighting of these buildings as well. Show me those high poly tank and character models with superb micro detail. Show me those high poly tree models, individual pieces of the bridge being blown off and interacting with the terrain in such a complex fashion, planes crashing and leaving complex deformation trails in the terrain etc etc etc. This is the twisted steel map btw just to save you some time.
Why aren't you trying to proof it, considering a developer has already confirmed those are game assets? If you think differently that's fine, but if you want me to proof something you should proof, because you claim it's false, then that's on you to investigate.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Why aren't you trying to proof it, considering a developer has already confirmed those are game assets. If you think differently that's fine, but if you want me to proof something you should proof, because it's already confirmed by a dev, then I have to say you should proof him wrong then.
Ive already provided video evidence showing the stark difference between assets in the trailer and the retail game. You are still disagreeing so show me those assets in the actual gameplay.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
tenor.gif

Me when I see someone arguing with an actual Dev of the game