• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PaypayTR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
aid190264-v4-728px-Play-Battlefield-2-Effectively-Step-5.jpg

Battlefield 1942-2-1943 and Bad Company 2 are pretty fun games in MP. I played 2 too many hours on PC i cant even count. Everything was revolutionary at that time. Big maps with all kinds of vehicles. And maps that werent clusterfucks. It was simple, just pick up and play. Maps were clear with good art design. There were not tons of effects fogged your vision. There were not 100 of weapon unlocks.

Game was mostly balanced. People really tried to play team work.

44USom6.gif

Bad Company 2 was last entry in series before this so called "realistic movement style" adapted in series. It was another simple game compared to what we have these days. All classes had distinct art style / weapon style and all made difference in game. You could turn around a game if you had great engineer/medic etc. Destruction was amazing and maps are series best. Rush also was introduced and it was good mode in this game. Not half baked but precisely designed to be fun. While newer battlefield games can pride with our maps are biggest ever , "you can combine all our old games and it wouldnt cover 1 map in this blah blah ". In reality this game felt you like it had bigger maps. Because in Rush you were going a really long way vertically.And no those aren't empty areas you had to run or hope to spawn some guy in near location. Those were interesting buildings/roads etc.

Nowadays BF1-BF3-BF4 all feels boring, empty, unbalanced and bad to be honest. There are many reasons for this.

1- Bad Map design.
These games have really forgettable and terribly designed maps. To be a good map in multiplayer game it needs to have clear exists/ins, good artstyle and memorable design. In newer games all maps have 100x of corners/windows etc feels you ill and want to puke. While graphics are getting better art style is significantly going worse. Adding particles and effects for sake of it making maps visual sore.Also most of maps are empty areas this big problem

2-Unbalanced game design
nowadays classes does not have unique differences back in the day they had. In last few games some classes have incredible advantage to others due map design and weapon balance. It makes no sense to play lets say medic when you can play recon and get free kills with incredible powerful weapons.

3-Too many weapon/challenges/ribbons makes game complex and boring.

this feels like overwhelming after a point.Every minute you unlock something weapon,cameo,tank skin,ribbon etc. Those are literally useless shit should not be in the game.
One of things made older battlefield games better this things were not in.

4- Movement and Destruction

Movement took a huge took with BF3 and forward in my opinion. Those new animation system copied from Mirror's Edge wasn't the thing series needed. Prone was and is still bad shit shouldn't be in multiplayer games. Also it doesn't help visual design of series gone really bad so with these new movement systems sometimes its impossible to spot enemies.

Destruction is literally kicked from battlefield series with 3. I don't know why they did this considering BFBC2 had best destruction system in the gaming.I guess they wanted to design artsy buildings instead of plastic shelters (were easily destructible) , i hope they bring real destruction like Bad Company 2 one day.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
BF3 was the peak for me. I thought the maps were great, even when I was stuck on playing on 360. When I played it on PC, it was a revelation.

I thought every game since then has been pretty poor though. I admittedly don't have a ton of experience with pre-BF3 titles.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Bad Company 2 back in the day. I never could get into the new ones as much. I remember reading an article that said even the Devs didn't know why BC2 was so good lol

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the price we pay for the medium trying to reach a broader audience. Dumbing down of games in order to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I always try to get back into BF1, but just end up back playing BF2/Special Forces and BC2 Vietnam.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed Battlefield 3 a lot. The series definitely fell apart with BF4 though. The maps were terrible and the game was bloated with unnecessary content. I hope the rumors about Bad Company 3 turn out to be true and that DICE can recapture what made BC2 so fantastic.

GinoFelino

Oct 27, 2017
BF3 and BF4 still had that chaotic, riotous vibe

BF1 and the Battlefront games feel sterile in comparison

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
I always liked Battlefield Vietnam. Bad Company was pretty cool, too, but I didn't play the sequel. I think I went through a 2142 phase as well but it didn't last long.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Never did play much Bad Company 2(except the campaign), but I played the holy hell out of 1942 and BF2. Kind of peaked with BF2, my fondest memories of the franchise stem from that game. Although I did find it more difficult to find a proper server with players that gave a shit(active commander doing their job, squads not going rogue or full of lone-wolf players), but those moments when you stumble on a gem server was pure magic.

Only played BF3 on 360, but among friends and the public. Despite the drawbacks from PC, it was still a grand time.

BF4 became overly dense and complex. Just an absurd amount of tools, gadgets, weaponry. You felt lost and equipment prep concerns overrode combat thrills, at least for us.

BF1 I have greatly enjoyed, moreso than expected. Just got the season pass over the holidays and am looking to spend time with the new maps.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The new Battlefield games just lack the visual charisma that Bad Company had. When I say that, I'm suggesting that the games are overwhelming just to overwhelm, instead of it just being apart of how the game is. In games like BF1, they pretty much added events that would happen in the game to make it 'feel' more epic. With the Bad Company games, it was the presentation of the game itself that made it as eventful as it was.

There were much more authentic situations that you could get into in Bad Company, which is why it had the feeling that it had.

Look at this old Battlefield Moments video.

JBucc

Oct 25, 2017
I got back into BF1 some over the holidays, grabbed premium when it was on sale. The way DICE has handles weapon unlocks in the expansion is horrible. "Get 50 kills with this gun you hate and blow up 5 boats with a toaster." Between this and Battlefront 2's progression being horrible I have no confidence in DICE going forward to design a fun and not stupidly overdone progression system. DICE can't even do conquest right anymore.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Bad Company 2 was the best purely because it was built around 24-player Rush maps. It was fast and focused, and the customization options hadn't gotten out of hand yet.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
Bad Company 2 is my favorite of all time. I had so much fun playing that game with friends.

The original Desert combat mod for Battlefield was fun too. I never got super into it like some people I knew (my pc sucked back then). But I remember being pretty blown away as a kid.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
That's the price we pay for the medium trying to reach a broader audience. Dumbing down of games in order to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I love this terrible, unsubstantiated, lazy, and classist argument every time it comes up with no explanation. The OP literally mentioned all the new features and complexity added since the early Battlefields.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
BC2 and BF3 are my faves but BF4's and 1's improved mechanics and netcode make playing the previous ones difficult :/

Namdrater

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin / Cape Town
I was a big fan of BF3. I had been playing COD for years and hadn't played BF since BF1942. It was a great game, even though I could understand the many reasons why people didn't like it. I got so much joy going in there.

The hype for BF4 died pretty fast after the catastrophic launch and I found the maps to be garbage overall. Maybe it was just my experience, but I felt like my squad worked together a lot better in BF3.
BF1 is super average - gunplay is a bit unique, but that game got old so fast.

They've released these games too fast perhaps. BF4 is pretty much 3.5 and BF1 has no depth (unless I'm missing an awesome component of this game). They've turned into massive COD levels rather than a battlefield which feels like my playground.

DoublePayje

Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed Battlefield 3 a lot. The series definitely fell apart with BF4 though. The maps were terrible and the game was bloated with unnecessary content.

Game was bloated, true, but the maps were a step up after Battlefield 3. Locker was objectively the better Metro. Zavod was incredible and loved by many, turned into a night map and popular in e-sport circles aswell as with casuals. Hainan was a lot of fun.

The heck are you talking. The most "dumbed down" Battlefield was Bad Company 2 and you will find very few people here who disliked that game.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably more a result of the chosen time period. Missing things like helicopters and jets. I also miss seeing the vehicles on the ground. There's something cool about just being in a group of jets as they take off. I really love that they went for the WWI time period but I dunno, modern time is just so ripe because of the variety it affords. I do miss the commander role too.

Oct 27, 2017
1942 was the peak.

BF2 is the game that introduced weapon unlocks and ruined all FPS games going forward /hyperbole

seriously though, that title screen music in BF1942 was epic

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
Battlefield 1 is imo is the first great BF game since Refractor (really I'd say since BF2, but that's probably more controversial). Big maps, automatics aren't everywhere, vehicles are intimidating again, classes aren't hyper-generalized (compared to the previous Frostbite BFs at least), etc. Admittedly being better than the other Frostbite BFs is a low bar, the Bad Company games were lame and BF3 and BF4 carried over BC's awful infantry-clusterfuck level design.

I think my biggest gripes with it is 1) Unlimited sprint, and 2) You can spawn on anybody in your squad instead of just squad leaders. These two things are usually overlooked for some reason even though they massively change the pacing of the game.

Digital

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
BF3 was better than BC2. BF4 actually had some really fantastic maps, looking back on it. You're selling them short.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
IMO Battlefield games were never fun.

Every single one I tried to play become boring... that is why I always preferred CoD over it.

PS. I never played the spin-off games so I already heard Bad Company is different from the main games and probably fun.

JBucc

Oct 25, 2017
They should give BF2 the 1943 treatment. $15, a few maps, simple and pure.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
The Bad Company series is still the best. Destructible environments with Rush makes a damn fun experience. The maps is well designed with Rush in mind.

Imo Conquest shouldn't have been in Bad Company.

Did I say Destructible environments? Destructible environments.

And there are various ways to damage the Mcoms instead of arming it. Shoot, Rocket it.etc

Destructible environments

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Man, you're like me OP ;)

Loved BF2, BC2 and 1943 to bits, after that I either didn't touch MP at all or just for a bunch of hours. All these Upgrades, Ribbons and Garbage is just exhausting. Or maybe I'm just too old.

All them Mods I played on BF2 back in the days, sooo good,

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, i really disliked the previous battlefield games. You run for what seems like hours then get blown up by a guy hogging a tank, helicopter or sniper. It was stupid. It was barely even a shooter since most of the time was spent running and capturing flags.

Bf1 changed that with the operations mode. There wasn't much running thanks to sectors. The action was always infront of you. No choppers doing strafing runs. There were problems with tanks at launch but two assault players can easily take it out.
It was brilliant, focused action with some poorly designed sectors here and there.

Then dice removed 40 players operations in favor of clusterfuck 64 player ones and now its exactly what you say it is. The grenade spam that took months to fix is back because well there are 32 players on each side. Those clusterfuck sectors are even worse now that there are 64 players fighting over one point. You now have to deal with over a dozen snipers instead of 4-5 on 20 player teams.

It's terrible. Fuck this game. Never should've bought premium. To think it was almost my goty last year.

RedRooster

Oct 27, 2017
Saskatoon, SK
I really liked BF3 on 360, and then BF4 on PS4 with 64 players blew me away. The entire BF franchise peaked at BF3ish and BF4, there essentially hasn't been a good Dice game since the start of this generation IMO. They're simplifying the series too much for some reason.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Battlefield 2 will always be one of my favourite games. I have enjoyed the series since, but back then I had much less responsibilities and could play all day and the novelty of big epic battles hadn't worn thin. So not sure if those are the reasons I don't find them as compelling now.

One thing is for sure though, if you remove prone I won't buy the game.

ComputerBlue

Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield 1 is the best game in the series since Bad Company 2. Not as good, but still really good.

I think 3 is decent...and even though I put a lot of time into it, 4 is kind of a chore to play but still pretty amazing because of it's scale.

The thing is though, I'm bored of Rush and Conquest. Now all I play is Operations mode in BF1 so if the next game doesn't have it. I dunno how long the games will hold my interest.

Oct 29, 2017
I have noticed that the movement keeps inching closer and closer to COD like movement. I highly prefer the slower, weightier movement of the older games.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Battlefield 3 multiplayer was amazing for me. Singleplayer was good, but most time of my Xbox 360 is playing BF3 in that Metro map.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
The focus on Rush in BC2 is what made the game so good. For a lot of people BF is Conquest though and Conquest in BC2 was not great. I think the Operations in BF1 are the closest to the goodness of Rush in BC2 Dice was able to get in their last few entries.

BF1 is really good but I kinda miss modern weapons. Also the classes in BC2 were the best.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
BC2 is a solid game but I don't understand the "it's battlefield perfected" type love it gets. It doesn't do large scale battles anywhere as good as really any mainline battlefield games and the amount of explosives all the classes get is at times absurd. Rush was excellent but large ticket conquest games (which a lot of servers had) were slogs.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
I guess I'll list some things that I consider a must for a Great Battlefield Game(TM):

Vehicle counters. BF3/BF4 had an emphasis on all-kit infantry gadgets to counter vehicles. In BF2 and BF1 (to a lesser extent) you have only one or two classes that can counter tanks. In BF2 especially, running Anti Tank meant your ability to fight effectively in infantry battles was limited. It wasn't impossible, but many times you weren't going to win an infantry fight against an Assault/Support unless you were in very close ranges. Engineers could do it too, but they had to expose themselves to get close enough. BF1 Assaults are more generally applicable but are still fairly limited on the big vehicle maps, and Support has the same downsides the Engineer did. By contrast, in BF3/4 everybody can do everything. It's not uncommon to see a Scout leading a charge against a tank, and running the more specialized AT classes didn't really carry downsides.

Class balance. Related to the above. In BF2 classes all had pros and cons, BF1 classes are more generalized (because DICE has decided four classes is the magic number) but are still fairly limited. In BF3/BF4 everybody can do everything.

Big maps. BF2 had a pretty medium pace, it wasn't slow but wasn't fast either and had an emphasis on transport vehicles. BC, BF3, and BF4 threw this away and focused on throwing everybody into the action ASAP, designing maps around funneling everybody into chokes and having them spawn five feet away when they die. BF1 has plenty of these maps too, but then you also have plenty of big ones like Monte Grappa.

Good spawns. Holy shit BF4 has the worst spawning of any game ever. Sniper spawns are incredibly overpowered and unwarranted allowing Scouts to camp in areas for long periods and make counter sniping close to useless. Many times I've spawned next to enemies taking a base and shot them in the head. Then you have squad spawning where if one player gets behind you, you have a squad spawn on him in a few seconds, or you take out an entire squad except for one person and they all spawn back a few seconds later. BF1 has this issue too.

Little destruction. Don't get me wrong, I understand why its cool. But the more limited destruction in BF3-1 (and non-existent destruction in BF2) allowed players to utilize their surrounds and buildings to actually play smart. It allowed them to counter tanks, flank objectives, sneak up on snipers, and actually utilize cover. The Bad Company games went way overboard.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I played the Wake Island demo of 1942 until the wheels fell off, and played the full game a bit as well. Ignored pretty much every release after that...

...until Battlefield 3. Somehow, that game got its hooks in me in a way that rarely happens. Waking up early every morning to play a few rounds with my squad, actually buying a mic/headphone combo, etc. I wasn't huge on the unlock system, but (even on 360) the scale of the maps and madness was just a great combination.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I love that your video showing that everyone used teamwork are 3 snipers camping on a hill doing absolutely nothing to help the actual objective. Those 3 idiots thinking they are some sneaky clever badasses when in reality they are just sitting on a hill doing nothing when the equivalent 3 people on the other side are out actually capturing objectives and helping the team.

Snipers are the absolute worse. I have never before or since trolled anyone in an online game, but after losing 3 games in a row because dipshits would sit on a hill in a bush instead of actually playing the game I lost it. I'd walk up to them and shoot a flare into their face that would stick to it and make it so they couldn't see.

OP
OP
PaypayTR

PaypayTR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love that your video showing that everyone used teamwork are 3 snipers camping on a hill doing absolutely nothing to help the actual objective. Those 3 idiots thinking they are some sneaky clever badasses when in reality they are just sitting on a hill doing nothing when the equivalent 3 people on the other side are out actually capturing objectives and helping the team.

Snipers are the absolute worse. I have never before or since trolled anyone in an online game, but after losing 3 games in a row because dipshits would sit on a hill in a bush instead of actually playing the game I lost it. I'd walk up to them and shoot a flare into their face that would stick to it and make it so they couldn't see.
maxresdefault.jpg

I bursted out laughing lol

Mathezar

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I like to think I had more fun with the earlier Battlefield titles, I can't say goodbye to Battlefield. There's nothing else quite like it and the games still are able to provide those unique moments. I just wish they'd go back to a more simplified game without hundreds of game modes and millions of weapon attachments (ok I'm exaggerating). I started out with the 1942 MP Wake Island demo and still fondly look back at the time leading up to and including BF2. Damn I also miss mod support, Desert Combat!

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Agreed. Battlefield 1 is a visual showcase, but not nearly as fun as Bad Company 2 or older BF games.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
every DICE mp map is the same in the recent BF games. Chokepoint the game. So boring.

GNTsquid

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
Nowadays BF1-BF3-BF4 all feels boring, empty, unbalanced and bad to be honest. There are many reasons for this.

1- Bad Map design.
These games have really forgettable and terribly designed maps. To be a good map in multiplayer game it needs to have clear exists/ins, good artstyle and memorable design. In newer games all maps have 100x of corners/windows etc feels you ill and want to puke. While graphics are getting better art style is significantly going worse. Adding particles and effects for sake of it making maps visual sore.Also most of maps are empty areas this big problem
I'm not sure what you mean about boring map or art design. I skipped BC and BF3 but BF4 and BF1 while both arent perfect games have some really good and really bad maps like all Battlefields. All have clear exits or whatever else. The only gripe is with BF1 and how open some of their maps are and how it likes to spawn you in the open so a sniper can pop your head just as you come to life.

2-Unbalanced game design
nowadays classes does not have unique differences back in the day they had. In last few games some classes have incredible advantage to others due map design and weapon balance. It makes no sense to play lets say medic when you can play recon and get free kills with incredible powerful weapons.
Have you played a BF game lately? Especially in BF1 but the classes could not be more different from one another.

3-Too many weapon/challenges/ribbons makes game complex and boring.

this feels like overwhelming after a point.Every minute you unlock something weapon,cameo,tank skin,ribbon etc. Those are literally useless shit should not be in the game.
One of things made older battlefield games better this things were not in.
I dont under stand how ribbons and camo skins are a problem especially if you consider them useless? They don't take anything away from how the game plays, they're things you earn passively through playing normally. Weapon unlocks are fine too and i'm of the belief the more the merrier. The game isnt and never was very complex, its pretty straight forward and casual. This isnt an e-sport game, never was and nor should it ever be.

4- Movement and Destruction
Prone was and is still bad shit shouldn't be in multiplayer games. Also it doesn't help visual design of series gone really bad so with these new movement systems sometimes its impossible to spot enemies.
Whaaaa? It sounds like you'd prefer a game that takes place in a giant empty room with one wall on either side to hide behind. That way the only skill that matters is who can aim better and pull the trigger faster. And who cares if someone goes prone? Half the time it makes them an easier target and i'm not going to complain about that.

I LOVE the Battlefield series. I've been playing since BF1942 and still consider Battlefield 2 to be the series best. I never bothered with Bad Company 2 though since it looked like it became very focused on console players and sped the game up into CoD territory which is not what the series is supposed to be. Skipped BF3 because of life but started up again with BF4 and while it took some getting used to compared to BF2 I ended up seeing that the game had some merits. I think destruction adds a good dynamic to matches because it forces you to think more on your feet and not rely heavily on that one wall that's always going to be there. If a building you're in is destroyed you have to change your strategy and prevents players from becoming too formulaic.

It is true that as the series has become more popular on consoles its become more console focused and over all thats hurt the series. The game itself seems easier than Vietnam, BF2 and 1942. Unlocks require almost no effort because god for bid someone on playstation has to work for a new weapons. Battlefield 2 had really hard unlocks to obtain that required a lot of time and points.

Battlefield 1 I like but i'm not in love with like some of the older games. It has some issues with spawn locations, vehicles and some unbalanced maps and while the Behemoths are fun they usually end up not helping much.

The series as a whole is still fun and while some things arent as good as they used to be they dont do enough damage to keep me away.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bad Company 2, Vietnam expansion, and BF3 were the perfect combo for me. BF4 didn't hold my attention.