• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
It is and always will remain my favorite MP shooter ever made. The hours I dedicated to 1942 and BF2 are easily the most I have ever put towards a game.
Also loved Bad Company 2. Easily view it as some of the best moments I have as far as having fun playing with friends.
As far as 3 and on I cannot really give a true assessment of any of them as I maybe have like 40 hours played on each game. Just getting older and less time means I have spent little to no time playing them compared to earlier entries. My own personal gaming tastes have changed quite a bit as well and where I only played MP games I now almost only play SP games.

With that said I may need to finally pick up PUBG since I saw the comment it is somewhat like 1942. Based on what I have seen of it I am just not seeing how that could be the case, but perhaps I need to play it and experience it for myself.

Ohto

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow I actually didn't know Classic Mode existed (perhaps there aren't many servers for it?) but honestly it sounds like the exact same thing as Hardcore mode except you have health/bullet UI and a minimap. Otherwise Hardcore mode has all of the same features (no health regen, no magic reload clips, squad leader spawn, no 3D spotting, etc).

Classic mode has normal amount of health too, I think. Isn't it like 60% of normal in HC?

Biggest gripe I have with HC is the amount of health, Classic helps with that, alongside some QOL stuff.

It is so damn good. I used to have bookmarked a few German servers, they had a nice rotation of Classic games.

EDIT. I have to say that BF1 is going back to greatness, judging by the amount of people who just loved BC2 jumping away from it. What I've played BF1, it is more like earlier Battlefields. Maybe the next one will be better again...

Really hope that they make WW2 game again. It could be about Northern front, or something else than the basic US... There was some pretty epic battlefields.

Last edited:

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
I got battlefield 4 for xbox one at launch and i also got last years battlefield 1 for ps4 pro.

Battlefield 4 for me felt a little boring. I felt that you'd spend quite a bit of time trying to find an enemy and then once u did, i usually died oretty quickly.

Battlefield 1 for me was better. It felt simpler and less things to worry about. However, the unlock system in these games iv always had issues with. Battlefield 1 felt like i was playing loads of matches and not really progressing.

In saying all this im a big COD fan. I think its the unlock system, the fast 60fps gameplay and the immediacy of cod that i like. The reason i prefer cod is when i was younger i loved quake 3 arena, perfect dark, goldeneye etc. So think i like getting to the action quickly.

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
Bad Company 2 was my prime time with series, playing day and night with my roomate. It was simple and pure fun. Single player campaign was amazing.

Then BF3 came and they introduced upgrades, progress bars and prone. Maps were meh most of the time.

With BF4 I stopped playing after few hours. Not felt it at all. It was like playing some generic shooter with BF name.

Then BF1, well, a lot better, but still you need constant upgrades and customizations. I just want to play and have fun, not to look into every single stat to make weapon perfect. Played it longer then BF4 but then went with Titanfall 2. After playing Overwatch never again started any of those. Just play and all of us in match are equal without upgrades and bullshit.

Last edited:

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Battlefield 4 isnt practically a MilSim what are you on about? Its a grounded shooter nothing milsim about it at all, unless you are talking about hardcore mode?

Post Refractor gave us the following:

Classes were dumbed down, all kit weapons were a thing, vehicles had unlimited ammo, vehicles regenerate health, jets no longer needed a run way to heal, helis no longer needed a helipad to heal, killcam was added, Squad leader was made pretty much redundant, Unlimited sprint, regenerating health, ans 3D spotting(Sort of introduced in 2142 but was no where near as broken).

Adding a fuck load of weapons where 90% of them are useless in comparison and a lot of spammable gadgets doesnt mean the game has depth.
BF is the only non mil sim game that I'm aware of with a proper suppression or laser spotting mechanic. And you can't hand wave all the weapons and gadgets away as useless just because you personally don't find them useful. Even the little Wall-E bot is incredibly useful in the right hands.

Everything else has to be justified, because those changes don't automatically make for a dumber game, IMO. Just a more player friendly game. In addition, the gunplay is pretty archaic in the pre Frostbite games because of the tick rate limitations.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
BC2 was a superb team-based shooter. Had a ton of stressful-but-exciting matches with my friends.

I laughed a lot more with 1943 though. I'm still salty that it never got any additional maps, despite its surprise popularity. I liked 1943 because it was much more about clever thinking and good aim than about spamming weapons fire.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
BF is the only non mil sim game that I'm aware of with a proper suppression or laser spotting mechanic. And you can't hand wave all the weapons and gadgets away as useless just because you personally don't find them useful. Even the little Wall-E bot is incredibly useful in the right hands.

Everything else has to be justified, because those changes don't automatically make for a dumber game, IMO. Just a more player friendly game. In addition, the gunplay is pretty archaic in the pre Frostbite games because of the tick rate limitations.

It does to an extent.

Spawning on everybody is the biggest one. In BF2 there was actually a reason to protect squad leaders, flags were more important, dying was a bigger problem, etc. Expanding squad spawns to everybody is the single biggest reason modern Conquest is a backcap fest where you just dash between points putting out fires instead of having an actual front.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017

I can hand wave a bunch of weapons away because in practical use less than a quater of them have fill the roles of all other guns better, this is both statistically and generally. I happen to know this because I needed to know this for what I used to do. And yes a lot of these changers dumbed the game down engineers are non existant now because of it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just played some BC2, just 4 versus 4 at the time but it was ace, conquest game but we were rolling like a pack of wolves trying to control all 4 points while the other team got a leg up every so often and had some amazing snipers. It was like a hunting pack when one of us got sniped, everyone just closes in and gets them. Fun time.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Bad company 2 was the pinnacle for me. Nothing else after really held my attention for more than a month, though I have bought them all.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I miss the bot modes, I kind of miss being able to mess around in the game without the tension, getting together and just play as a group. I feel that teamwork has been completely thrown out of the window in the later games due to the games not giving enough tools and the way faster paced combat.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Had the most fun with Hardline this gen. Best Battlefield since BC2 IMO. Hotwire mode is amazing. I wish the game had been more popular.

MasterVampire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like BF4 the most and have heaps of fun with it.

I like messing around with the riot shield since nobody uses it.

Nowise10

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield 3 was magical for me. Absolutely joy of a game, spent entire summers playing it in high school.

I've only ever played BF3, BF4, Hardline, And BF1, but the games are one of my favorite franchises. BF1 is incredible too.

Shapes

Nov 6, 2017
Battlefield 1942 was extremely enjoyable. Battlefield 2 was funny as hell, when Dice managed to use their software packaging tools well enough to actually supply patches that did not break the game, and when their flash server browser allowed showing more than 20 servers at a time.

The gameplay was awesome.