• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

NikkiNailZ

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, the great battle of 1940 between Britain and Germany in Rotterdam.

That never happened, wtf Dice

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
So wait, this Tides of War service is a gradual ramp up of the war? Countries getting involved and all that?

That sounds pretty cool actually.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tides of War is probably going to be their season/events that roll out over time, complete with new cosmetics to keep the cash flow rolling

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
So there are maps in Norway but no Norwegian soldiers? Oo

It's no a huge deal for me, but definitely weird. Also this:

xlUQaierXFmN2eY2ZDWscL6LYtWE6MiO6rluuiM5_6w.jpg

Is great. I find it quite silly in CoD that there are basically two teams of mercenaries. You can have Soviet uniform while playing in the Axis team. Just this "At launch" is worrying...

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So wait, this Tides of War service is a gradual ramp up of the war? Countries getting involved and all that?

That sounds pretty cool actually.

Well, that's the plan.

DICE plans always sound cool in the beginning, until it rolls out and it's always less than you expected.

Oh
So that's why DLCs are "free"
They just gonna sell us unfinished game again

That's the point of live service games. They never have to end, they can always be expanded because they have no feature end point.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, "factions" are a bit of a redundant thing in modern Battlefield now anyway. They all get to use the same weapons and vehicles in BF1, regardless of whether you're playing for Britain or the Germans or the Turks.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, "factions" are a bit of a redundant thing in modern Battlefield now anyway. They all get to use the same weapons and vehicles in BF1, regardless of whether you're playing for Britain or the Germans or the Turks.

They will not be using the same exact vehicles in BFV. They will use faction appropriate counterparts.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Fine by me. At the end they are just some different outfits with the same weapons.
And extra factions are gonna be added later when Tides of War goes on.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never seen a game that switch to free DLC that ever put out a worthwhile amount of content compared to previous entries.

Many also seem to have gutted releases and the free content just brings it up to par with what previous game launched with, like Uncharted 4 free content just adding back what UC3 had (and not even all of it).

Definitely giving BFV a wide berth too see how gutted and supported it really is.

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, the great battle of 1940 between Britain and Germany in Rotterdam.

That never happened, wtf Dice

UK engaged Germans during the invasion of France. UK, and the Commonwealth, were the main opposing force of Axis in Africa.

It makes the most sense to start with those two factions if chronological order is concerned. However, it is disappointing for the variety/content sake. If you want to have custom characters and costumes, you cannot do the BF1 clone-army anymore, so they have to compromise the number of factions. The insane amount of different vehicles and planes also burdens the artists unlike BF1.

But we shouldn't focus on the historical things too much, we all know that Tigers and Panthers will be there instead of the early PII-IV variants.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It would be cool if they chronologically added in the factions as they entered the war. I'd love that.

I wonder if that means though that the story missions all focus on the Western/Northern European fronts?

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
Hmmm, can't find the original tweet or even the person mentioned in the tweet. Fake?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So there are maps in Norway but no Norwegian soldiers? Oo

It's no a huge deal for me, but definitely weird. Also this:

xlUQaierXFmN2eY2ZDWscL6LYtWE6MiO6rluuiM5_6w.jpg

Is great. I find it quite silly in CoD that there are basically two teams of mercenaries. You can have Soviet uniform while playing in the Axis team. Just this "At launch" is worrying...

Uh.. that CoD remark is just straight up false. The Axis in WWII can only wear Axis uniforms.

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Ok, this is likely not true, but I also won't be surprised if it happens. Two starting factions only? Does this foreshadow EA creating as much content as a standard launch BF game, but pushing it out across all their free expansions? I simply have zero faith EA will make a full BF game and include full expansions content for free without them figuring out a way to keep their profits up. Yes, they will have paid skins and such, but that can't be enough to offset what they will lose from selling paid expansions and more aggressive monetization of progression. So where does the lost profit come back from... less game content?

Oct 25, 2017
No it didn't.

Axis has limited customization,
Allies have US, UK, Canada, Soviet, Netherlands customization.
haven't played since the end of February but this was the furthest Axis customization went when it was added mid February.
ej9my8eesub01.jpg

t08QHAY.jpg

Last edited:

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Well that's disappointing. Mainly because no Pacific, no naval combat.
Heligoland Bight in BF1 felt hugely different from the other maps. Closest thing to BF1942 since BF1942. Would be nice if BFV had one or more maps like that.
"But that might be coming at some point!" is not terribly compelling.

Tides of War seems to be a fancy term for "DLC release schedule"?

Last edited:

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
You have to scroll up for ages but i found it

I don't buy it simply because EA has a very real monetary incentive to make the launch pool of 'skinnable' items as deep as possible. Given that the player can apparently grind out skins, it would make sense for EA to have plenty ready right out of the gate. The goal being to have the majority of players never comfortable enough that they forgo buying skins rather than grinding for them.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't buy it simply because EA has a very real monetary incentive to make the launch pool of 'skinnable' items as deep as possible. Given that the player can apparently grind out skins, it would make sense for EA to have plenty ready right out of the gate. The goal being to have the majority of players never comfortable enough that they forgo buying skins rather than grinding for them.
Thats the official instragram of Battlefield. Its real.

BFV looking worse and worse for me. I'm probably going to pass on this one. I would rather pay for the Premium then served scraps piece meal style disguised as Tides of War.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no Pacific or no Russian Front is really disappointing. Its the same theaters of war and sides we see in every WW2 game. With an early Oct release date for BF5 and COD I am probably just going to wait for the inevitable 50% black friday discounts and pick it up then, so far nothing has me excited to pre order this game.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Thats the official instragram of Battlefield. Its real.

I'm sure it is. I just think it's possible they got mixed up somehow, or that the tides of war will have a more rapid rollout than traditional DLC. Even though the UK fought Germany in many interesting locations, they'd really be stretching to get enough maps for the base game with just 2 factions.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Based on the reveal stuff and everything they showed, did anyone seriously expect the Eastern Front or Pacific Theater to be present at launch? Those are basically free DLC themes for them to use down the line. I'll be moderately surprised if they include even one of the North African maps from 1942 at this point.