• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait for Firestorm. Apex Legends, Fortnite, Blackout etc..can kiss my a**;)

Squad Conquest needs some more maps Dice please!

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
I am getting very bored of these maps... Am I the only one?

If they don't release some new maps or something soon, I guess I will move completely off this onto The Division 2.

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all seen this Final Stand mode in Grand Operations? Was playing Fjell, last day of GO, Conquest. Match ends in a stalemate with 37-50 tickets left. The game then goes into an extra "Overtime" round that operates like a Battle Royale game, with a shrinking play area and no respawns. Was kinda wild, never saw that happen before.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I am getting very bored of these maps... Am I the only one?

If they don't release some new maps or something soon, I guess I will move completely off this onto The Division 2.

I basically quit playing entirely. The small trickle of fixes and cosmetics do nothing to keep the game fresh. The game desperately needs new maps. Instead of this likely meh BR mode, they should have put a team on additional maps.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I mean breakthrough on two maps only works so well. We need at most 4 more maps that can be scaled per mode.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
I finally started the SP campaign last night!
giphy.gif

Seriously though, I pretty much only play Devastation, Arras, and sometimes Fjell, the other maps bore me to death.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Breakthrough, the current system of tank spawns promotes a cautious style of play that renders it nearly impossible for a defending team to defend itself against tanks. By removing tank spawns at certain points of the map, you encourage tankers to basically stay in the back.
It is not fun as a defender to fight against tanks in breakthrough. It frankly makes defending a chore.

One, add tank spawns to the rest of the map. Two, add more AT guns and make them 360 degrees movable. Make them along the lines of BF1 field guns.

I like BFV, but I'm rapidly reaching the point where I can't stand how the balance is done in the game.

Also the decision to prevent people from switching from our level upgrades before lvl.4 is a severe handicap and frankly I need to ask, why? What's the point of this?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Also the decision to prevent people from switching from our level upgrades before lvl.4 is a severe handicap and frankly I need to ask, why? What's the point of this?
It doesn't take long to reach level 4, but I agree it's a baffling and unnecessary restriction. Also I wonder how many players don't even realize you can upgrade the guns like that. It's kind of buried in the menus and the player gets no notifications.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
bf3 had the best maps of the modern battlefields by far. strike at karkland, sharqi peninsula, caspian border, damavand peak, seine crossing and plenty more

Lol no. All of BF3's launch maps were bad and several are easy candidates for worst map in the series. The only good BF3 maps are the Return to Karkand ones, and those are still worse than their original incarnations.

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got to play with tanks a little more, reached level 5 with the Flakpanzer.

What should I get as the final upgrade? I have a choice between flame rounds and smoke airburst. I camp infantry in most cases, but I feel like smoke in flak shells could seriously mess with other tanks because they will be 100% in smoke as long as I attack.

hobdal

Mar 1, 2018
I bought Battlefield 1 end of last year in a PSN sale and I only just got round to trying it today. Man it's great. Feels so much more polished than BFV. I think I prefer the core gameplay in 5 but everything else is so much better in 1, feels way more polished. I realise it's been out for a lot longer but it surely it should have been the base to start 5 from?

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Lol no. All of BF3's launch maps were bad and several are easy candidates for worst map in the series. The only good BF3 maps are the Return to Karkand ones, and those are still worse than their original incarnations.

ive never heard anyone say caspian border, seine crossing, damavand peak, grand bazaar and norshare canals are terrible. you are for sure in the minority here

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
ive never heard anyone say caspian border, seine crossing, damavand peak, grand bazaar and norshare canals are terrible. you are for sure in the minority here

Caspian Border is a "big" map, but it's just 90% empty space where nothing goes on and all the flags are a stone's throw from each other. Grand Bazaar is literally a square with a corridor up the middle. Seine was like three corridors that devolved into a spawn camp fest after five minutes. Etc.

BF3 having narrow clusterfuck map design that breaks above 24 players is hardly an unpopular opinion. Just some people like that.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played this since RE2 came out, and I don't think I'll get the ToW outfit this week. But what's the consensus on Firestorm now that Respawn launched its own squad-based BR? Is BF BR dead even before it launches?

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need new maps, even if it's just BF1 maps ported to BFV, I play less and less because of the lack of new maps.

I'll check next week with the coop content, and Rush later, but I only play Conquest (loved Rush in the Bad Company games though).

I'm really not into battle royale games, so it sadden me that they spend so much time on a BR mode I'll never play (or maybe just try once) and we only get a single map every quarter or so.

With Anthem coming I'll play BFV even less, it will really need maps to make me come back (a bunch, not a single one).

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
I bought Battlefield 1 end of last year in a PSN sale and I only just got round to trying it today. Man it's great. Feels so much more polished than BFV. I think I prefer the core gameplay in 5 but everything else is so much better in 1, feels way more polished. I realise it's been out for a lot longer but it surely it should have been the base to start 5 from?

This is what you get when you play a game that's been constantly tweaked and expanded upon for the last 2+ yrs. If it wasn't more polished I would be pretty surprised! I also remember all the bitching and moaning about lack of content and no incentive to continue, people "dropping the game after 2mths"...sounds oddly familiar.

Edit: Also, I can't believe they are launching two new modes in the next two months...who asked for co-op? Everyone is asking for new maps or balance/bug fixes.

Last edited:

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Finally got to play with tanks a little more, reached level 5 with the Flakpanzer.

What should I get as the final upgrade? I have a choice between flame rounds and smoke airburst. I camp infantry in most cases, but I feel like smoke in flak shells could seriously mess with other tanks because they will be 100% in smoke as long as I attack.

Flame rounds. Also the Flakpanzer is broken op atm. They messed up some of the values this patch. So, it's doing more damage than it should.

hobdal

Mar 1, 2018
This is what you get when you play a game that's been constantly tweaked and expanded upon for the last 2+ yrs. If it wasn't more polished I would be pretty surprised! I also remember all the bitching and moaning about lack of content and no incentive to continue, people "dropping the game after 2mths"...sounds oddly familiar.

Yeah yeah I understand it's obviously going to be a lot more polished. I was just surprised at the difference between the two.

I wasn't around when BF1 first launched but what you are describing there, it sounds like history repeating itself with 5.

For what it's worth, I am really enjoying 5 too, having a lot of fun with it, even with a its flaws.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
EA's earnings report just came out. They cited FIFA strength, and also lowered the fiscal year revenue projection by $275M, so their fiscal year revenue guidance is now $625M less than it was back in July. Much of that is BFV related, first with the delay causing lowered sales projections, then it appeared to sell even less than those. There may be more info in the call soon.

"The video game industry continues to grow through a year of intense competition and transformational change," said CEO Andrew Wilson. "Q3 was a difficult quarter for Electronic Arts and we did not perform to our expectations. We are now applying the strengths of our company to sharpen our execution and focus on delivering great new games and long-term live services for our players. We're very excited about Apex Legends, the upcoming launch of Anthem, and a deep line-up of new experiences that we'll bring to our global communities next fiscal year."

FIFA stands out as a robust franchise through a tumultuous year in the video game industry," said COO and CFO Blake Jorgensen. "Elsewhere in the business, we're making adjustments to improve execution and we're refocusing R&D. Looking forward, we're delighted to launch Anthem, our new IP, to grow Apex Legends and related Titanfall experiences, to deliver new Plants vs. Zombies and Need for Speed titles, and to add Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order to our sports titles in the fall."

https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2019/q3/FY19-Q3-Earnings-Release-Final.pdf

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
EA earnings have come out. While we wait for market analysts to comb through this and their earnings call in an hour, we have initial outlooks to look at.

The videogame maker cut its projections for full-year adjusted revenue to about $4.75 billion from $5.20 billion and said it had faced a challenging third quarter.

"The video game industry continues to grow through a year of intense competition and transformational change," Chief Executive Andrew Wilson said in a statement. "Q3 was a difficult quarter for Electronic Arts and we did not perform to our expectations."

For the third quarter that ended in December, EA reported revenue of $1.61 billion, well below Wall Street analysts' average estimate of $1.75 billion, according to IBES data from Refinitiv.

Edit: dunno what I'm going on about, EA readily admits they failed their expectations. What a disappointing result this was, especially considering EA's previous warning and revised earnings estimate, that they missed that revision is bad news.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I like the Battlefield V maps.

But I was looking at Battlefield 4 maps the other day, and it's interesting how regressive DICE has gotten with topography and pathways. Maps were more inclined to experiment with verticality and wider topography before Battlefield 1. Greater emphasis on various terrain heights, and capture zones broken up with rivers, bridges, mountains, and larger buildings.

Battlefield 1 and V follow kinda formulaic design, much more consistently flatter topography with mild height variances, with templated buildings scattered around. I still enjoy playing them, but there's a lot of map design style in Battlefield 3 and 4 (and earlier) that is really nowhere to be found in both Battlefield 1 and V. While still fun, topography has gotten simpler, less varied in heightmaps, and I'd also argue diminished play space. Panzerstorm is flat, but the play spacing is a lot more like older Battlefield titles.

I think that's why I liked St Quentin Scar, Monte Grapp and Empire's Edge so much as they're the ones most reminiscent of older Battlefield. But even so, the topography between capture points is still largely open without much in the ways of design breaking up the flow.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#Battlefield V has sold 7.3 million copies since release.

Its not that bad imo...

Its pretty bad when you compare it to BF1 or even BF4.

I think 7m is about half of what BF1 did in the same time period. You also have to take into account that many of those 7.3m units were sold at big discounts.

SWBFII sold around 7-8m too and EA was also disappointed with that because it was a lot less than what Battlefront 2015 did. And we all saw how EA had no problem sending that game out to die with a skeleton crew releasing minimal content even if it did sell 7-8m.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017

It looks so much better (on the Pro), too. Almost no LOD pop-in, better AA, more realistic looking lighting, and consistent visuals in general. Meanwhile on Twisted Steel everything further than an arm length away is a cardboard cutout. So distracting.

Also, does BFV even have dynamic weather? Never witnessed it.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe

The third paragraph is interesting. So BFV had the highest concurrent player count in the entire franchise when S2 released? Or am I reading this wrong?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
They are supporting the game through 2020, so that's good to hear. Maybe we will get the Pacific and other things.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
So far I'm more on board with BFV than with 1 and 4. It's probably due, in no small part, because I've been able to devote more hours to it than I was able to in 4 and 1. I'm closer to the player I was in BF3, which is to say a pretty good one. It's amazing how many hours it takes me. After about 20-40hrs I'm good but everything beyond 90hrs gets me into that excellent range. Wish I'd been able to devote more time to 4 especially. It just felt closest to BF3 which is my favorite of the series to date

Even with my continued enjoyment of BFV I'm starting to really ache for new maps. I'm pretty tired of doing devastation and fjell and am ready for more panzerstorm arras type maps. More vehicles, more topography variety. Glad to see they're planning on supporting it for at least the foreseeable future

Also I couldn't be less interested in firestorm. I'll give it a shot but no BR game has connected with me yet. And coop? Fucking lol

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Finally finished up this weeks ToW.

Finally got a squad that knew what the fuck it was doing and we won a few games of Breakthrough.

It's an entirely different mode when you are on a winning team. It sucks getting steamrolled though.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

But I was looking at Battlefield 4 maps the other day, and it's interesting how regressive DICE has gotten with topography and pathways. Maps were more inclined to experiment with verticality and wider topography before Battlefield 1. Greater emphasis on various terrain heights, and capture zones broken up with rivers, bridges, mountains, and larger buildings.

Battlefield 1 and V follow kinda formulaic design, much more consistently flatter topography with mild height variances, with templated buildings scattered around. I still enjoy playing them, but there's a lot of map design style in Battlefield 3 and 4 (and earlier) that is really nowhere to be found in both Battlefield 1 and V. While still fun, topography has gotten simpler, less varied in heightmaps, and I'd also argue diminished play space. Panzerstorm is flat, but the play spacing is a lot more like older Battlefield titles.

I think that's why I liked St Quentin Scar, Monte Grapp and Empire's Edge so much as they're the ones most reminiscent of older Battlefield. But even so, the topography between capture points is still largely open without much in the ways of design breaking up the flow.

This is true and i wonder if its due to their tessellated terrain. Could also be the increased overall fidelity already taxing consoles too heavily

Dec 4, 2017
London
It looks so much better (on the Pro), too. Almost no LOD pop-in, better AA, more realistic looking lighting, and consistent visuals in general. Meanwhile on Twisted Steel everything further than an arm length away is a cardboard cutout. So distracting.

Also, does BFV even have dynamic weather? Never witnessed it.

I thought it didn't until I encounter a sandstorm on Hamada. I've noticed subtle lighting changes on Rotterdam and Arras but it seems to be very dialled back compared to BF1 which is a real shame.

Not sure I can agree about BF5 looking worse than BF1 on pro though - Arras in particular looks glorious and apart from some pop in when the camera swoops in at the start of a match, I'm not sure the LOD is any worse? I'll look next time I'm on Twisted Metal for cardboard cutouts but if they're there they haven't registered with me.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I have to vent about the team of idiots I just had on Hamada Breakthrough, playing as Attack. I went the whole game as Recon, 3rd highest scorer from both teams, with a 1.0 K/D, because I was PTFO with spotting flares and spawn beacons. With two flags in the sector, I helped take A something like 9 maybe 10 times and each time the enemy would swarm in, and despite me firing flares like they were going out of style, the defenders would retake it quickly. Over and over again. I look around, and there's a ton of Recons on the neighboring hills never moving forward, and something like 4 tanks were hanging back as well, never going in. Useless fucks. It's not rocket science. You take a flag, you spawn on the flag so the other team doesn't take it back. Ugh.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017

I think BF4's map design was still just a somewhat expanded version of Bad Company's choke-heavy maps, and focused on funneling players into specific areas. That's why the BF4 Commander was so stupid compared to the BF2 version - you don't need a guy telling your squad where the fight's going to be when the fight is always going to be in one of two areas, so they had to like quadruple the Commander's explosives to make them worth playing.

BFV and (especially) BF1 still have this issue, but it feels like more of the maps are being utilized instead of just everyone cramming into a parking lot the entire match.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
#Battlefield V has sold 7.3 million copies since release.

Its not that bad imo...

At first glance it seems ok, but this game is reliant on cosmetic sales to pay for the post launch content.
So in that regard half the sales of the previous entry (that had a season pass) seems pretty bad. And by the sound of it, people aren't invested in BFV as much as they were in BF1 or even BF4, so apparently they have a problem with player retention as well.

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
It's to vague imo. Largest as in monthly players?
"Largest Battlefield game ever"... like wtf does this even mean?! Size on hard drive? lol
I also bet "doubling down" means mostly Firestorm and cosmetics. I think the earliest we will see "real new MP content" (if ever except for the map in march) will be Q3/Q4. Maybe one map in between that but forget new factions and stuff before that.

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm totally unconvinced by Fortifications, too often it seems like something the guys at the bottom of the scoreboard are doing just for points before they give away the flag.

Yeah for the most part fortifications don't make enough of a difference because it takes a long time to fully fortify a flag for usefulness. Then a plane/tank comes in and destroys it all. I think it needs streamlining somewhat. Your comment is spot on though :)

BF doesn't compete. With Fortnite and Apex free, and the more popular CoD and PUBG already with large BR audiences, the odds of BFV selling more units thanks to BR, or in general really, is slim to none. I am lowering my already low expectations for how many maps we might get.

I have a feeling BR is going to also address the map issue somewhat. BR as a mode needs at least one very, very sizeable map with clearly defined zones and areas. Those areas can be broken down and used for other modes - including CQ. Wishful thinking, and obviously tricky to get right - but it would be the sensible thing to try and do.

I need new maps, even if it's just BF1 maps ported to BFV, I play less and less because of the lack of new maps.

I'd also like to see BF1 maps brought in too - you'd think it would be a quick win for what some see as a big weakness in the current content levels, but how they get included and integrated would be interesting.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
If I recall correctly BF1 was the largest launch. It was like almost 700k concurrent players at launch. However, they did a lot of things right. A new era most games haven't touched and some great marketing. BFV was the complete opposite. A horrible reveal and marketing, plus an era we've seen too many times before. Also there was an era fatigue. WW1 and WW2 feel similar in a lot of ways. They should have done a modern/BC3 (Vietnam to present) or future BF then saved WW2 for later, not coming off the heels of WW1. That's why EA is disappointed with the numbers. BF1 did like 15 million compared to the 7.3 million.

Last edited:

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Ugh, cheaters are doing the same thing they do in BF1, which made me jump ship

I'm wondering, just as a thought that when cheaters are banned anyone they killed should get a "death refund". It might not work, but it nullifies the reason why lots of cheaters cheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.