• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Stats are tracked differently, I think, and currently there are 3 weeks of ToW progression tied with it (which also allow for optional non Firestorm game modes to players that are not interested in it). Chapter 3 will start next Thursday.
Nice video! Excited to play firestorm and the new content!

first time i read that the max player count on consoles is 30. Hype deflated. oh well................
FPS?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Stats are tracked differently, I think, and currently there are 3 weeks of ToW progression tied with it (which also allow for optional non Firestorm game modes to players that are not interested in it). Chapter 3 will start next Thursday.

Sounds good.

first time i read that the max player count on consoles is 30. Hype deflated. oh well................

They were talking about the tick rate being 30 on console.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
So in Firestorm they made a lot of the static vehicles you see on regular maps in BF5 driveable, I wonder if they will make those useable in regular maps? In the vehicle lineup of the video @1:06 there are some vehicles shown not really sure what they are though - Green truck, Mercedes-Benz(?), Something with Blackout headlight covers, and the tractor.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Levelcap's new video just said that Hamada is being changed to standard Conquest with this update.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Probably for the the best. Assault Conquest didn't do much for that map. Hopefully, we get some better Assault Conquest later.

Yeah, I'm still into the mode and hope it comes up again. I actually didn't mind it much for Hamada at all. It looks like the new gimme will be C flag, so a lot of fighting will happen around D, but the team that holds down E/F/G will have a great advantage.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Probably for the the best. Assault Conquest didn't do much for that map. Hopefully, we get some better Assault Conquest later.

Well, Hamada was the only map that i could enjoy in Conquest because at least, in this, we had some sort of logical frontline for a moment. So... Well...

I'll stay in Grand Ops.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Planes errr, seem harder to fly now, like you turn and it just wants to do a nose dive into the ground.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Console CPUs cannot handle 60 updates a second being propagated to 64 players. Or well, they can, but not when we're targeting 60 fps. Maybe next gen. :)
Does it make much difference in areas like player enjoyment etc.? BLOPS4 servers were 20fps at launch, I don't know if they've changed since then, and Apex Legends is 20fps too.

Oct 27, 2017
Planes errr, seem harder to fly now, like you turn and it just wants to do a nose dive into the ground.

It was in the patch notes, they added a Boeing pilot assistant to the planes.

They really need to release all shown cosmetics with Firestorm, and it better not cost a week's worth of gametime to buy a single face-paint or pants. I don't what to expect for the Roadmap, the teaser image had either a Middleterranian or Western-Europe street shop/cafe, so I expect Urban Italy or Paris... Ideally:
• Detailed Fire Chapter
• Detailed Italy/Paris/Turkey Chapter
• Eastern Front next, but without all the details

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Apparently, Firestorm will have a new weapon. Prototype Gustloff. So, I imagine it'll probably be one of the rewards in ToW. They have it listed as an assault rifle, but all the videos I find it's a semi auto. However, we got a bunch of semis already, so it's probably an AR.

Edit: Ah, this probably explains it being an AR in game:

The rifle is semiautomatic only (although it sounds like some select-fire models were also made) and feeds from MG-13 box magazines - cut down from 25 rounds to 10 rounds capacity on this example.

Last edited:

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Played a few matches because I wanted to see the balance changes. Semi-autos still wreck everything. Adding the recoil didn't do anything. Maybe it helped on console, but when you're playing with kb/m it doesn't really matter.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Does it make much difference in areas like player enjoyment etc.? BLOPS4 servers were 20fps at launch, I don't know if they've changed since then, and Apex Legends is 20fps too.

Massive effort was made to improve the server tick rate starting with BF4. We technically can have our servers running with 120+ tick rate while having 64 players on them, but unfortunately that hammers lower spec machines, as higher tick rate requires more CPU power.

Player facing wise, everything from how time to kill and time to death feel, how responsive animations are, how smooth vehicles appear to move, how much you die behind corners, how often you hit or just barely miss an enemy, all of that is improved by higher server tick rate.

In a nutshell, everything that is executed and validated on the server is done faster with higher tick rate, which makes the game feel much more accurate (since networked games are all based on predictions and corrections). :)

Higher tick rate servers cost more money to run as they use more system resources, and need to have assets (especially animations) tuned properly so they behave consistently across variable tick rates, so perhaps that's why others are avoiding them, can't really say why they don't have higher tick rate servers.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Im really hyped for BR. But Im really feeling like DICE needs to add in a respawn mechanic.

Yeah, sue me, Apex and Fortnite are now adding it, but it's a great feature for parties and even better for newbies. I feel like people are going to thirst HARD after downed players. People are going to get tunnel vision just trying to get a kill off you, especially if you have a pistol.

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Im really hyped for BR. But Im really feeling like DICE needs to add in a respawn mechanic.

Yeah, sue me, Apex and Fortnite are now adding it, but it's a great feature for parties and even better for newbies. I feel like people are going to thirst HARD after downed players. People are going to get tunnel vision just trying to get a kill off you, especially if you have a pistol.

Eh, as long as this one has a freaking reconnect feature, I'll be happy. Still can't believe Apex doesn't have it yet.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, as long as this one has a freaking reconnect feature, I'll be happy. Still can't believe Apex doesn't have it yet.

I just feel really sad dying or losing a friend early and then forcing them to watch the whole game. The respawn mechanic adds that glimmer of hope and doesnt feel too OP in Apex.

But the game seems insistent on permanent death in the videos they've released. I wonder what DICE intends to do with BR after it launches. It seems weird that they'd take control of it, when they seem like they have so much on their plates. Are they thinly spread or what?

And realistically, can we expect new BR map (Unlikely), map updates like in Blackout (probably?), Limited time events (one with respawn, one with class abilities, etc), new weapons/vehicles/reinforcements, Player Count upgrade/whole map integration, etc?

For a BR game, new maps or heroes in Apex's case, are always the biggest draws and indication of dedicated support.

I dont see DICE doing that when they have MP (and Combined Arms if they intend to still make that a proper mode). The roadmap will go a long way in letting us know what EA has decided with its future I guess, but people just want maps, maps, maps. Instead we've been getting misfires with modes like co-op, and a plethora of MP modes people dont care about (while Grand Operations still stands as a neutered experience from BF1).

I still hope this game gets a proper 2 years of support in it, because I really think it can grow an audience like BF4 did. But at the same time, the industry sure has changed a lot since then.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Massive effort was made to improve the server tick rate starting with BF4. We technically can have our servers running with 120+ tick rate while having 64 players on them, but unfortunately that hammers lower spec machines, as higher tick rate requires more CPU power.

Player facing wise, everything from how time to kill and time to death feel, how responsive animations are, how smooth vehicles appear to move, how much you die behind corners, how often you hit or just barely miss an enemy, all of that is improved by higher server tick rate.

In a nutshell, everything that is executed and validated on the server is done faster with higher tick rate, which makes the game feel much more accurate (since networked games are all based on predictions and corrections). :)

Higher tick rate servers cost more money to run as they use more system resources, and need to have assets (especially animations) tuned properly so they behave consistently across variable tick rates, so perhaps that's why others are avoiding them, can't really say why they don't have higher tick rate servers.
I think in Apex's case the main issue is large amounts of data with so many players at the start of a match. I understand the arguments that server rates should be better, what I was really alluding to is that maybe players enjoyment doesn't scale with the increased server tick rate, which is why other MP games don't prioritize it. What I mean is, if the players had no clue what the server tick rate was, it could be 20, 30 or 60, they might feel everything plays good enough, and specific instances of dying behind corners etc. might be attributed by players to the ping of that specific player, not the server rate. So devs could prioritize it more and spend more money running higher data, but it may not lead to increased player metrics or sales. Case in point, you said server rates have improved a lot since BF4. I enjoyed BF4 enormously, I'm sure many did. Also BF3, BF1943, etc.

Last edited:

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I think in Apex's case the main issue is large amounts of data with so many players at the start of a match. I understand the arguments that server rates should be better, what I was really alluding to is that maybe players enjoyment doesn't scale with the increased server tick rate, which is why other MP games don't prioritize it. What I mean is, if the players had no clue what the server tick rate was, it could be 20, 30 or 60, they might feel everything plays good enough, and specific instances of dying behind corners etc. might be attributed by players to the ping of that specific player, not the server rate. So devs could prioritize it more and spend more money running higher data, but it may not lead to increased player metrics or sales. Case in point, you said server rates have improved a lot since BF4. I enjoyed BF4 enormously, I'm sure many did. Also BF3, BF1943, etc.

Yea for sure, if you don't know why things are happening the way that they are happening, you may not really care much to dig too deep into this. :)

OP
OP

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
elenarie BTW just wondering if there is a time or if you are even allow to mention it, when the roadmap will be release tomorrow? Kinda assuming 9 am EDT since thats when both of the firestorm trailers have been released at.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Nope, 6 months in or so, still LOATHE the Specialization/Upgrade crud.

Got the new German airplane.

Try to fly the new German airplane.

Can't fly the German airplane cause there are between 2-5 cocking Mosquitos with AT cannons on the front flying around that two-three shot me down out of the sky and all mine got is some piddly machineguns and 2 250 kg bombs until the moment I get to fly my bloody plane for some time and actually get something decent for it.

Still the one of the dumbest design decisions DICE have yet made for Battlefield.

If they are gonna sell that "Oh, these airplanes they have AT cannons on the front for a anti-tank snipe in the sky!" then a good idea is not to lock that behind a couple of really boring who-knows-longs until it actually comes into that role and until then is just a below average hybrid plane with nothing to it! The same goes for every bloody vehicle, plane and gun ever for this game!

Last edited:

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Soaked up all the Firestorm impressions and I gotta say, it got me really excited. I love BR and having one with Battlefield visuals and gunplay is a dream come true.
A bit worried about the end game balance though. I'm not looking forward being in a tiny circle with a opposing tank 😨

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Soaked up all the Firestorm impressions and I gotta say, it got me really excited. I love BR and having one with Battlefield visuals and gunplay is a dream come true.
A bit worried about the end game balance though. I'm not looking forward being in a tiny circle with a opposing tank 😨
I think that they should make the gas scarce or have very high consumption for tanks.

I can also say that I am excited, but cautious. I love Battlefield V's gameplay, but the gunplay seems to contain a lot more spam than other Battlefield or other semi-realistic shooters.

The TTK, to me, goes out of the window, and the gunfights often turn into a lottery of who can send the most bullets down range.

Rarely do I feel Superior to an enemy due to higher ground because they can run, vault and reach my position faster than I can reload.

I hope that Criterion and DICE can slow down some of the mechanics to make the instance of gunfight survivability more plausible instead of the inevitable win due to throwing bodies at someone, only to go back and revive them with no repercussions.

Last edited:

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
Played a few matches because I wanted to see the balance changes. Semi-autos still wreck everything. Adding the recoil didn't do anything. Maybe it helped on console, but when you're playing with kb/m it doesn't really matter.

Playing on Xbox, and indeed i didn't feel any different recoil when using semi-auto with ADS at mid/long range ; But i did feel a bigger recoil when hip firing (seems to go on the top right) making it harder to win duels in CQC.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Just keep running, use up their fuel!

I am very excited for Firestorm next week, the previews really did their job in providing both information and hype! Also excited to see the roadmap; given Firestorm was a different dev I would expect the new theatre to drop relatively quickly...we just need more maps!!

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
They added a yellow filter to the game when you're healing. I don't like it

By the way, music is still bugged. Sometimes the pre-end of round music doesn't sound at all

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Firestorm looks really cool. I've been grinding Dark Matter and max prestige in CoD but I wanna get back into Battlefield. Are there ways to earn the weapons that I missed?

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't know that...this is the first patch where I haven't read the notes. Hopefully that means we have lots more Panzerstorm - style engagements and less running between snipers!
Yeah, Hamada seems like a better map now.

On a side note, anyone know of any decent vehicle guides that talk about specializations, etc? It's annoying having to purchase specializations and having very little idea what they will actually do.

Oct 27, 2017
Picture of the community waiting for the roadmap:
HelmsDeepUrukhai.gif

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know how credible this is but:

Dice is rolling out Trial by Fire today. This third chapter for the game is the most ambitious and largest chapter to date.

Along with a huge number of performance and balancing tweaks, new map locations are coming to the game, such as 'Invade Greece,' a map that focuses on asymmetrical warfare, is set in Crete.

Further down the road, Trial by Fire will bring a new mode called Outpost. Newly created for Tides of War, in which players will fight to control territories and collect resources.

In June, Chapter 4 will roll out. Called Defying the Odds it will shift the experience to a smaller tactical and more strategic style of gameplay. It is said to move away from wide open spaces to "up close and personal" type of experiences. Players can expect to journey further into Greece with a new map codenamed Calamas, which is located on the Albanian border.

There will be a second map in chapter 4 which is said to be one that will bring "new experiences to excite BF veterans." Details are short so far but we were told to expect "a new imagining of an old friend."

In the fall, Chapter 5 will launch. Apparently, it is the biggest chapter of any yet in the game. We weren't told a great deal, except that while the focus is on content, it is very much about shifting the meta of the game. Dice will reveal more in the coming months, including a new theatre, new ways to play, and a completely different feel from conventional Battlefield altogether.

https://twinfinite.net/2019/03/dice...pters-new-modes-weekly-experiences-maps-more/

Status
Not open for further replies.