• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Just played my first match of firestorm, hopped into solo. Intentionally dropped away from others so I could figure out the controls / inventory. Kept myself on the far side of the ring to get the drop on people. Aside from a brief encounter with a helicopter Didn't see anyone else until I was in the top 3. Went full predator on the last 2 guys, stalked one from under the docks waiting for him to get in front of me and then I shotgunned him in the back. Last guy I waited for in a house, he refused to enter then started blowing shit up so I stepped outside, he missed a ton of shots from a roof, and I responded by rocketing his house forcing him down and headshotting him with my shotgun.

So I got 2 kills, took no damage and got 1st in the very first game. I am okay with this mode.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I can't really see myself getting into this BR until they improve squad communication, character voice commands are a necessity

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
5+ minute queue on a mode released yesterday zzzzz

Oh never mind it just straight up failed after 5 minutes. "No games found". Fun times. Guess I'll try solo to see if that's better

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Would be nice if the game would recognize when you hit the x button on Xbox to pick up a weapon when you land got killed three times in a row because my guy could not pick up his weapon in time

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
Any EU players interested in teaming up on PC? Having some trouble finding squad matches when queuing by myself (probably because of the lower player count in my region). At least the "Start now" button functions as some sort of 'quickplay' option - so it just matchmakes you into the nearest region/match that's about to start (at least that's how it seems to work).

Last edited:

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Early impressions: Long queues and... No, that's about it. Queues are way too long. Now I suppose it's because of regional servers and it's only midday here in Australia, but for a big new content release I don't expect to spend 30 minutes every hour in queue. That's ridiculous.

As for the mode itself. Squads wouldn't fill up after multiple attempts of trying but solos seems to suffer from the whole pubg-walk-around-for-10-minutes-just-to-die-in-10-seconds-randomly thing. I'm sure as people start to gravitate towards certain parts of the map it'll alleviate this issue somewhat but there's not a lot happening as is. Also the gameplay itself (armour and expanded healthpools) feels so clunky; it's jarring to play a game of conquest then go into BR where suddenly everyone is a T-1000 - but I do understand it's probably necessary for the mode. I'm just not a fan.

I'm probably a little annoyed by the queue issues so going in I didn't have the best mindset, but eh. I'll give it another shot tonight but I don't see myself playing it too much.

wherearemyconquestmaps/10

Oct 25, 2017
Any EU players interested in teaming up on PC? Having some trouble finding squad matches when queuing by myself (probably because of the lower player count in my region). At least the "Start now" button functions as some sort of 'quickplay' option - so it just matchmakes you into the nearest region/match that's about to start.

Yeah what's your Origin ID? I'll add you

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Played the BR for a bit and yeah, just not a fan of BR games. I'll just be here waiting on maps...

Also, been watching a few streamers play and the victory screen is f'n hilarious. "You came first" is the phrase that greets you on winning, not "you came IN first." It seems my sense of humor hasn't matured past middle school yet.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Does the "Make it to the Final 16" for the assignment only count if it's in Solos?

EDIT: It unlocked the 2nd time during Squads. Not sure why it was delayed.

Last edited:

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Shroud: "This looting is so bad."

lol
it is though, ammo should have been color coordinated, for SMG blue, for Bolt action sniper yellow, and if not color coordinated, weapon specific, if you got an SMG, SMG ammo glows, would make things easier than having to read SM/Shotgun/Etc ammo, 1 of my kills was a dude looting he was reading lol, DICE gotta improve looting..

Oct 27, 2017
USA
For the love of all that is holy let me specify to only join Firestorm servers on this side of the Atlantic.

If not that, at least let me see my ping so I can judge if it's even worth staying around.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
it is though, ammo should have been color coordinated, for SMG blue, for Bolt action sniper yellow, and if not color coordinated, weapon specific, if you got an SMG, SMG ammo glows, would make things easier than having to read SM/Shotgun/Etc ammo, 1 of my kills was a dude looting he was reading lol, DICE gotta improve looting..

I know it's bad. I was agreeing with him. I find it strange that FS got delayed and they still put out a loot system like this. There are tons of other BRs they could have looked at for examples how to do it right and they fucked it up still.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Played it for a few hours last night, won 1 out of the 5-7 played. Not terrible, but def needs some improvement on things. Sadly, Apex had spoiled me. I like the idea of tanks needing gas and ammo resupply, but needs a better ping system, a better ammo system and a better ping system. Improve that and it will be a fine game to play with a group of friends screwing around.

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Won my first firestorm match the first time playing :lol
Same. Got 10 kills and won my first match lol.

I'm still iffy on the TTK, more specifically with full armor. We do need some survivability in order to promote player movement but the gunplay can be super unsatisfying when you come across people that are fully armored up. Doesn't really feel like Battlefield at times.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
After putting in a few more matches I can safely say this is not for me. I have never played a battle royale before because I could tell I would not enjoy the gameplay loop. Thought a battlefield twist might get me into it but no, its just too frustrating getting outgunned because your opponent got lucky and found better loot. And having to wait for it to quit, go back into matchmaking and then a pregame lobby just feels like I am wasting my time.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
I really like it. I feel like there could be some improvements to the UI though. I've only played around a handful of solo matches so far so my opinion could change in squads.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
The looting and inventory system is insane. No idea on how to navigate and good luck trying to swap to an item during a firefight. I honestly can't believe at some point they didn't just opt for a death box of some sort.

If those two items were fixed it has potential to be decent. There is also a ton of adjustments they could make to simplify this and more user friendly. I can barely tell items apart. Apex makes it so easy to see what you are looting. At some point this group had to hear about Apex prior to it launching. Couldn't they have went and got some pointers?

The graphics and atmosphere is great. Map seems decent as well but I've only explored a fraction of it. Not really sure I like the limited area on the jump though. Everyone seems to just jump to the edges. I'd agree just up the player count and let everyone jump wherever.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
After putting in a few more matches I can safely say this is not for me. I have never played a battle royale before because I could tell I would not enjoy the gameplay loop. Thought a battlefield twist might get me into it but no, its just too frustrating getting outgunned because your opponent got lucky and found better loot. And having to wait for it to quit, go back into matchmaking and then a pregame lobby just feels like I am wasting my time.

This sums up my own thoughts perfectly.

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
Can't find a BR match on Xbox in East Asia. Just kicks us out of matchmaking after 5 mins or so both squads and solo. Really wish it would go FTP to help populate the mode. It also split the small community here so far, so we can't even get a full regular server now. Guess I'm hanging up my dog tags.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at how much fun Firestorm is so far. The other BR games aren't my thing, so this is the first one I've played. It's so disorienting at first after being used to the objective-based game modes. I'm still getting the hang of it, but it's awesome.

My first few rounds were either solo or random squads without mics, and as with all the other modes the matches completely improved once I found some people on voice chat.

Dec 17, 2017
So, I haven't played a BR game before and coming off the back of 12-15 games of this last night I have to ask "is this supposed to be fun?"
2 games in a row I was dead before I got a weapon. Whether solo, in a squad with randoms and in a squad with friends with mics it was the same gameplay pattern - wonder around for 5-10mins aimlessly, get into a firefight and die. In about 2 1/2hours play I managed 1 kill and 1 down. Great. None of the engagements felt particularly thrilling, the flow wasn't there and all the weapons I found to be very unsatisfactory to use like they were completely different weapons to the main game. There was bullshit like shooting someone in the back with an MP40 from about 5 meters for at least 2 seconds and just depleting their armour and then myself having 100 armour and full health and dying in 1 second to his squadmate.
It is said that first impressions last - this was an extremely poor first impression. It just wasn't fun.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
That is pretty much Battle Royale in a nutshell. You either live for it, or you find the loop boring. This one is technically polished and functioning, so considering how broken most BR games launch, if you don't like this one, you'd be hard pressed to find another you like. Your last chance is probably Apex, but don't expect much different in regards to surviving. I've lost count of how many 2 minute matches I've had.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
So, I haven't played a BR game before and coming off the back of 12-15 games of this last night I have to ask "is this supposed to be fun?"
2 games in a row I was dead before I got a weapon. Whether solo, in a squad with randoms and in a squad with friends with mics it was the same gameplay pattern - wonder around for 5-10mins aimlessly, get into a firefight and die. In about 2 1/2hours play I managed 1 kill and 1 down. Great. None of the engagements felt particularly thrilling, the flow wasn't there and all the weapons I found to be very unsatisfactory to use like they were completely different weapons to the main game. There was bullshit like shooting someone in the back with an MP40 from about 5 meters for at least 2 seconds and just depleting their armour and then myself having 100 armour and full health and dying in 1 second to his squadmate.
It is said that first impressions last - this was an extremely poor first impression. It just wasn't fun.

Same.

The fact that this type of game mode is SO popular nowadays just baffles me.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
That's battle royale, in a nutshell. People like it for the same reason they like any hard, gauntlet style game that reduces crutches in favour of attentive, skill driven gameplay; high risk, but high reward for success. The satisfaction of getting kills is supposed to be thrilling, as it brings you one step closer to victory, and you know you wiped someone out of the game.

PUBG is still the only game of them all to truly capture this intensity, in my opinion. It's a buggy, poor performing mess, but the damage ratios of ballistic variables are just right. PUBG has a ton of down time accentuating the sense of survivalism and scavenging, while the very high damage variables make encounters super intense. It's a game where constant attention to your surroundings, audio, and motion are essential to even cross the shortest stretches of terrain.

Of course dying is excruciating, but that's part of the challenge. Nothing beats a win in PUBG, because it feels truly earned. Shame the game is ruined by hackers.

I really like what Battlefield V is doing, but the damage ratios are the only factor I'm not sure will keep players coming back. The military-sim like damage variables of PUBG meant if you got the drop on someone you almost always came out on top. This is completely different. Which is fine. But because I inherently don't trust BFV's gun balance at all the actual encounters sometimes feel a bit wonky. Unlike PUBG I've "got the drop" on someone with a mounted LMG at close range, but I guess because they had three tiers of armour and only had one, they've been able to casually spin around and shoot me dead in a split second regardless of my hits.

That shit is lame and very unsatisfying. But BFV core gunplay has this problem too.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Alright, to be fair I had fun playing it last night. But I do feel this isn't for me. Will keep playing it though, I can see why people like it and it has great potential.

I didn't have much problem with loot. It feels like the loot from Borderlands or stuff like that, which I'm used to, so it's fine by me. Better than a menu. But it does need tweaking, specially when switching weapons.

It's by far the best addition to the game, but when you pair it against Combined Arms, Practice Range and most of the SP, that's a given and doesn't say much lol

I'm gonna keep waiting for new maps and please, GRAND OPERATIONS. Perfect that mode please, it's the best example of narrative-driven MP.

This is my problem with the development of this game so far. Instead of focusing on being really good in one area, it's trying to do everything, and it's average at best.

An average BR experience

Terrible coop (Combined Arms)

Mediocre single player

Mediocre practice range

Instead of messing with all this stuff, why not just focus on what makes BF the series that players have loved.

Yep, that's what I said a couple of pages back. Too many eggs in one basket. Should've been SP complete at launch, MP and Firestorm, and nothing else. And SP is a biased opinion because Tiralleur and The Last Tiger were good.

Oct 27, 2017
So wait, the reward for completing the first Firestorm assignment was a new Firestorm assignment? Nothing else?

a88.jpg

How do you fail at coordinating both the chapter and the premier mode releasing AT THE SAME TIME?

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
You would think they would have added it here, considering this is when the most people are going to be playing... EA gonna EA.

I am liking Firestorm but there really is little incentive to actually play it. You get an insanely small amount of CC per win.

I got 100 for my squad win and 50 for getting a top 5.

Coulda got 3 times as much in regular MP.
And I have to say I found it rather dull. Maybe my br time has passed. I loved blackout when it came out, but this just seems meh. I'd rather play conquest.

Oct 27, 2017
By the way, if I'm correct I saw yesterday when I got 10th I got 2000CC.

When I got like 22th I only recieved about 25CC

I don't know if those 2000CC is always of it was something else

I have just finished 2nd and got 650 coins. The Coin payout in BFV is like a black box... And then the question is are you actually getting those coins, or is it just UI coded by DICE.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Day 1 Firestorm twitch numbers had in top 5 for most of the day, now it's 16th, if it was F2P it would have given Apex/Fortnite competition..

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm waiting to see the rewards for ToW. If they aren't good, I'll probably just wait until May to play the new map.

Status
Not open for further replies.