• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgrem

Dec 13, 2017
I am pretty new to modern Battlefield games (last one I played was Vietnam), so I am really not that good of a player. Still I prefer the 'hardcore' playlist, it just feels more thrilling to be able to kill with just a few shots. My survivability does not seem much better on the 'regular' playlist too, so I really don't see why they put this change into the game.

How about expanding the tutorial a bit more to ease new players in? Like how the hell does suppressing fire work? Never seen that explained ingame.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish you'd specify what game mode you're playing when you shit on the maps in BFV. Rotterdam is a really good Conquest map, but jesus christ it's a horrid map for Breakthrough because you have 32 players camping a single point in the parking hall and you have no other points to capture to divide the defenders. I only really play Conquest outside of daily challenges, and most of the maps in BFV are on par with, if not better than, anything BF1 had to offer. Conquest is easily the most popular game mode in BF games, so when people talk about maps it's logical to assume they talk about Conquest versions.
Sorry, cq. Yes, Rotterdam is ok for cq. I'll admit that.

Jaws

Oct 29, 2017
I picked this game up yesterday as it was on sale. I've never played the battlefield series before. Anyone have any good tips for a complete beginner?

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I want to play the core playlist but I'd also rather play Breakthrough than Conquest
QlSTkOL.gif

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
I wish you'd specify what game mode you're playing when you shit on the maps in BFV. Rotterdam is a really good Conquest map, but jesus christ it's a horrid map for Breakthrough because you have 32 players camping a single point in the parking hall and you have no other points to capture to divide the defenders. I only really play Conquest outside of daily challenges, and most of the maps in BFV are on par with, if not better than, anything BF1 had to offer. Conquest is easily the most popular game mode in BF games, so when people talk about maps it's logical to assume they talk about Conquest versions.

Ehhhh.

BFV has some fantastic maps, don't get me wrong, but Amiens, Sinai, and Hegioland are something special. Hegioland especially is basically Wake Island: The Sequel.

Panzerstorm is great though, one of my faves in the series. The tanks in this game are actually really great when you open the maps up.

DoubleD

Nov 2, 2017
EST
I don't think I'll be playing on the new TTK servers. I've given a couple hours of playtime toward the new TTK and I hate it. It just doesn't feel good or right and the increased amount of BTK combined with the smaller mags on some weapons just seals the deal for me. It just feels muddy. The old TTK felt SO good and clean and crisp.
Edit: and please don't start adding assignments for specific game types now that there are two distinct core game designs running at the same time but one of them is limited to conquest.

DoubleD

Nov 2, 2017
EST
I'm going to boycott the new TTK. Hardcore conquest for me until other gamemodes join the hardcore family.
I feel like DICE is misrepresenting what a hardcore server is by implying that the old TTK will be become the hardcore mode. The original TTK is not hardcore and it sounds like to me that DICE is trying to force the conversation in that direction.
Edit: in fact, all servers look like hardcore even in the new TTK because of the busted net code. It's a perception of being killed with one bullet, when in reality you were not.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
What is still broken in the game?
  • TTD is extremely inconsistent, from taking 10 hits to normal to 1 hit kill from full HP
  • Audio still gets desynced / delayed a lot / not played at all at random
  • Audio cutting out fully, requiring game restart
  • Squad members shouting SL commands
  • Unable to revive anyone in the match at random
  • Squad callins involved binocs turning half or whole screen black
  • Unable to swap weapon talents in the match
  • Unable to swap or active assignments in the match
  • Quitting from game to menu or even to desktop still takes ages
  • Assignments either being broken, randomly breaking mid-match requiring game reboot or having absolutely wrong descriptions
  • Company Coin gains past-50 still absolutely borked
  • Bipod being extremely fiddly and unreliable as it can be very angle and pixel specific, deploys into the walls
  • Characters getting stuck on smallest of pebbles at random
  • Vaulting over or through objects at random not working at all, RIP
  • Vehicle balancing is still questionable, tanks like Valentine are superior to anything else on ground for e.g.
  • Weapon balance still somewhat off, why STG 1-5 is far, far superior to STG 44?
  • Footstep audio still super quiet, some times not playing at all
  • Character visibility is still issue. Just stand against gray, brown and/or general dark materials and you just disappear into thin air. Lay on snow and no one will see you, your weapon wont even make puffs of snow etc.

What needed to be "fixed" immediately, even when no one really asked for it?
  • Soldier on Solder TTK so it takes longer time to kill anyone with any weapon, because change is blanket one it just nerfs some weapon(s) (classes) more than others where elevates already powerful meta weapons like STG 1-5.

WTF DICE?

Last edited:

Moai

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chile
Can they really revert this ttk change or is it too late? They are going to piss off people that liked the change. This is a no win situation.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
New bug that I kind of love... completing an assignment even when you haven't fulfilled all the requisites, lol.
The game must've taken pity on me after I've spent nearly 6 hours trying to get 20 objective headshots with the Kar98k. Finished a match with 16 and boom, done.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
What is still broken in the game?
  • TTD is extremely inconsistent, from taking 10 hits to normal to 1 hit kill from full HP
  • Audio still gets desynced / delayed a lot / not played at all at random
  • Audio cutting out fully, requiring game restart
  • Squad members shouting SL commands
  • Unable to revive anyone in the match at random
  • Squad callins involved binocs turning half or whole screen black
  • Unable to swap weapon talents in the match
  • Unable to swap or active assignments in the match
  • Quitting from game to menu or even to desktop still takes ages
  • Assignments either being broken, randomly breaking mid-match requiring game reboot or having absolutely wrong descriptions
  • Company Coin gains past-50 still absolutely borked
  • Bipod being extremely fiddly and unreliable as it can be very angle and pixel specific, deploys into the walls
  • Characters getting stuck on smallest of pebbles at random
  • Vaulting over or through objects at random not working at all, RIP
  • Vehicle balancing is still questionable, tanks like Valentine are superior to anything else on ground for e.g.
  • Weapon balance still somewhat off, why STG 1-5 is far, far superior to STG 44?
  • Footstep audio still super quiet, some times not playing at all
  • Character visibility is still issue. Just stand against gray, brown and/or general dark materials and you just disappear into thin air. Lay on snow and no one will see you, your weapon wont even make puffs of snow etc.

What needed to be "fixed" immediately, even when no one really asked for it?
  • Soldier on Solder TTK so it takes longer time to kill anyone with any weapon, because change is blanket one it just nerfs some weapon(s) (classes) more than others where elevates already powerful meta weapons like STG 1-5.

WTF DICE?

I would add the assignments being limited to 4 and not just all tracking at once.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Can they really revert this ttk change or is it too late? They are going to piss off people that liked the change. This is a no win situation.

I don't for a second believe they will revert this. They make "core playlists" all call it a day for good, I bet.

I would add the assignments being limited to 4 and not just all tracking at once.

Also at random you can spawn on squadmate in combat, spawnpoints stop working because... reasons, but then again work later. Also now for some reason you randomly see 3D Doritos through player put smoke.

Last edited:

Meccs

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's done. There will be normal and hardcore (old TTK) playlists. The Christmas gift people won't care and the Battle Royale people won't even touch multiplayer. It's ok though, you can play what you want, normal, hardcore or battle royale.
If they add a Zombie mode it's totally like Black Ops /s

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got time for 1 game, guess what, it had cheater in enemy team...
He was hipfiring with MG all game, doing insta headshots only.
At least I learned how you can report people ingame.

ctcatsby

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Getting sniped out of the air from across the map by Flakpanzers hanging out in spawn when I haven't leveled up planes enough to deal with them is very fun and makes me glad to play.

edit: ditto for flying level 0 fighters against experienced pilots with radar packages and maneuverability upgrades.

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Getting sniped out of the air from across the map by Flakpanzers hanging out in spawn when I haven't leveled up planes enough to deal with them is very fun and makes me glad to play.

edit: ditto for flying level 0 fighters against experienced pilots with radar packages and maneuverability upgrades.
Experienced pilots are already near enough impossible to take down if you're a beginner, that's why I've never bothered to get good flying in any game. Giving them upgrade advantages is really not needed lol. Bit of overkill.

ctcatsby

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I picked this game up yesterday as it was on sale. I've never played the battlefield series before. Anyone have any good tips for a complete beginner?

For one, ignore the incessant bitching from players about DICE's TTK tweaks. That's all anyone is talking about on forums and social media, but in the grand scheme of things it's not worth the mass hysteria it's causing.

As for practical advice:
  • Every class starts with one fully upgraded weapon (meaning it has all 4 specialization levels unlocked), and each of these weapons is very good, so you're never really at a disadvantage against higher leveled infantry players. There are some good Youtube guides if you want more information about which weapons are good.
  • Play the objective. You get more points that way. Your squad gets more points that way. You get fun stuff like calling in rockets that way. You win that way. Play the objective.
  • Play your class. If you're a Medic, go bananas with smoke grenades to block enemy sight lines so you can revive or your team can push up on objectives. Assault should remember to knock out tanks or buildings with sniper nests, Recon needs to spot with scope or flare and put a spawn beacon in a helpful location, and Supply should keep everyone topped off with ammo.
  • If your team is beating its head against an objective with no luck, flank. If you're playing Conquest, pick the farthest objective and take that one. You'll get a point and peel off enemies from whatever they're focusing on.
The difference between winning and losing can often be one squad (or even one player) bothering to push an objective when everyone else is sitting back and trying to rack up kills.

If I had one last piece of advice, it's to stay out of planes until you're fairly confident with basic flight and firing controls in the practice range.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Pick 1:
A. New TTK requires more aim skill
B. New TTK is for Christmas noobs

ctcatsby

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Experienced pilots are already near enough impossible to take down if you're a beginner, that's why I've never bothered to get good flying in any game. Giving them upgrade advantages is really not needed lol. Bit of overkill.

Yeah, it's a puzzling design decision. There's an extreme barrier to entry with flight that's not there with anything else in the game. And I'm not a total stranger to planes! I've been playing Ace Combat since AC4 in 2001, typically on the highest difficulty. That's just doesn't seem to translate at all to Battlefield.

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, it's a puzzling design decision. There's an extreme barrier to entry with flight that's not there with anything else in the game. And I'm not a total stranger to planes! I've been playing Ace Combat since AC4 in 2001, typically on the highest difficulty. That's just doesn't seem to translate at all to Battlefield.
The skill floor for flying is sky high.

I'll see myself out.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't like the new TTK. It's easier to survive in 1v1 but MUCH harder in 1v+. And i'm always in 1v+ situations. So it sucks...

I understand why people would like that but i'm not one of them. Sadly.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand why they did not keep the TTK as it was and make a softcore mode with the changes.

TheAquaticApe

Oct 25, 2017
Finished up the Grand Ops ToW Assingment.

One change I'd like to see in that mode, is if one team is up 2/3, then that should end the operation.It feels like a chore to play out the last 1/3 if it's already going to be a loss.

Oct 25, 2017
I played a few hours on the new TTK yesterday and the other night. Took some time to get used to and felt frustrated after a while. I then played an hour on the core server today, and man the gunplay just felt better. Maybe that's just because I'm more used to it, but there's just something satisfying about getting the jump on a bunch of people and actually getting multiple kills without having to reload right away.

Both modes still had issues with 1 frame deaths though. TTK is not going to fix that.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Anyone else having an issue with Squad commands and voice actions not showing on the screen anymore or being vocalize?

about a week ago all voice actions which previously were in the text box at the top left corner of the screen stopped appearing all of my requests or thank-yous excetera or orders we're not showing anymore.

Xbox

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Pick 1:
A. New TTK requires more aim skill
B. New TTK is for Christmas noobs

Basically. The new TTK is fine, albeit it does introduce issues with ammo and such. I liked the TTK at launch, but the zero visibility, prone, 3x scoped meta is grating as shit sometimes.

Guys, there's nothing "tactical" about standing in front of the shelves just outside of C on Devastation and being literally invisible until you fire your gun. Dice need to fix their broken lighting, player visibility, and like 30 other things before the old TTK isn't filled with frustrating nonsense.

Meccs

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

It's just a lot of assumptions and some stuff where he is downright wrong, like the multiple TTKs in games... freaking BF had it since Bad Company 2, they even added it to BF1 , CoD has it as well since forever. Just two of the most popular first person shooters! Suddenly calling this madness and absurd is nothing but the usual hysteria. It's just crazy talk.
And he wants the developers make custom animations that can be bought with micro transactions... custom reload animations.... right lol, how about some dances too?

Last edited:

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's just a lot of assumptions and some downright facts he gets wrong, like the multiple TTKs in games... freaking BF had it since Bad Company 2, they even added it to BF1 , CoD has it as well since forever. Just two of the most popular first person shooters! Suddenly calling this madness and absurd is nothing but the usual hysteria. It's just crazy talk.
Yeah thought that was a weird complaint too. Tons of games have had modes with different TTKs. "Hardcore" isn't a new thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've noticed stealth being way more effective now over flanking. Sneaking up behind and melee killing works, whereas flanking just lets you half kill one person while the others turn and unload on you.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still any solutions so shadowplay records BFV in resolution want instead of always 720p?
I think its because when you launch game it always opens in that small window and then goes full screen, but somehow shadowplay thinks its 720p all the time?

meepfx

Dec 20, 2017
Still any solutions so shadowplay records BFV in resolution want instead of always 720p?
I think its because when you launch game it always opens in that small window and then goes full screen, but somehow shadowplay thinks its 720p all the time?
I created a user.cfg in the main directory of the game with:
Window.Width 1920
Window.Height 1080

Shadowplay records with a weird 1920x1060 resolution after this, but I figured it's close enough. Obviously you should replace those values with whatever you use in-game.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Why the hell are they not discussing or addressing enemy visibility?

and I don't just mean the buried rubble campers.

in general it's very hard to tell which of the body's on-screen are the enemy especially up close. it's actually easier to see them far away but in close-quarter battles sometimes they Shadow themselves into a terrain and cannot be seen barely at all or differentiate between them and your teammates.

HotHamWater

Oct 25, 2017
Dorset, UK
And he wants the developers make custom animations that can be bought with micro transactions... custom reload animations.... right lol, how about some dances too?

I mean, we already know real money stuff is coming, you really think this isn't the path they're going to take anyway - given the popularity of animation stuff in other games? A custom revive animation is one of the few things they could do that wouldn't piss people off, imo. They have to make their premium pass money somewhere. You're also omitting his lead-in to the animation stuff which is to say that the current weapon skins (which will be for sale with the currency) are bland at best.

I'd much rather have what he suggests than some of the more garish weapon/player skin stuff that other games do. The best squad music is a good idea they could take from CSGO that I expect players would be cool with. He's basically just playing the odds here of listing all the micro-transaction stuff other games have done and what might be a good fit for BF.

Last edited:

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Why the hell are they not discussing or addressing enemy visibility?

and I don't just mean the buried rubble campers.

in general it's very hard to tell which of the body's on-screen are the enemy especially up close. it's actually easier to see them far away but in close-quarter battles sometimes they Shadow themselves into a terrain and cannot be seen barely at all or differentiate between them and your teammates.

Dice's approach to the issue:

1599e06bd7b11b9d1e3d414c4cfb97bd3ad4ed044ac06d4ec5625cf4d0d224ec.jpg

I don't think they're going to do anything with it, as insane as that is.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I have to say I'm enjoying this more than any other Battlefield since BC2. I hope they keep the mechanical changes going forward.

Also, this game really exposes how bad the average person is at paying attention. I constantly see teammates running past enemies.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I don't for a second believe they will revert this. They make "core playlists" all call it a day for good, I bet.

Also at random you can spawn on squadmate in combat, spawnpoints stop working because... reasons, but then again work later. Also now for some reason you randomly see 3D Doritos through player put smoke.

Yeah had that happen to me during TDM the random spawn wasn't working because the spawn point was in combat. WTF?

Meccs

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My biggest problem with this game is that for me it's just not as fun as previous BF games (except Hardline which I never played). Old or new TTK. I can not play more than one or two rounds before getting bored. Maybe I am over the whole Battlefield series. I wish I could get back to the old BF 1942 days... the only thing that could save this game for me would be adding all the cool BF 1942 maps. But since we don't get map packs anymore, we will probably just get one or two maps, and even that is questionable now with the poor sales. So no servers that just run the BF1942 map pack for me either...
Second biggest issue is visibility which is probably related to the first problem (fun). Going prone in most places means you basically disappear.

Last edited:

ctcatsby

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Finished up the Grand Ops ToW Assingment.

One change I'd like to see in that mode, is if one team is up 2/3, then that should end the operation.It feels like a chore to play out the last 1/3 if it's already going to be a loss.

The "win 3 different campaigns" assignment? Good gracious, you are a saint. I like GO, but I had that assignment slotted for one gruelling loss and noped right on out.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
The game is nothing but people cheesing the terrible visibility. That's 100% of the "tactics and strategy" people use now. Just dudes laying prone in the middle of potholes in the street or standing perfectly still in front of shelves in shadows.

World war 2, but as a shitty magic eye puzzle.

BlankCanvas23

Jan 24, 2018
The game is nothing but people cheesing the terrible visibility. That's 100% of the "tactics and strategy" people use now. Just dudes laying prone in the middle of potholes in the street or standing perfectly still in front of shelves in shadows.

I agree. This is the biggest problem in my opinion with the game. Visibility flat out sucks.

Oct 25, 2017

God, I had a game where a dude just laid down on his back on aerodrome, completely still out in the open not shooting at anybody. Several of my teammates just ran by him, and I'm like, wait, this dude is alive. I killed him, but his teammate was hiding behind a box nearby and stabbed me in the back.

Meccs

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I read some stuff about Hardline and noticed that we had this TTK discussion back then also. So I did watch some Youtube videos from Jackfrags and Westie, two of Youtubers complaining about the increased TTK in BFV.
Back in the day Jackfrags thought the TTK in Hardline should be increased, same for Westie and here is the video that is really interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYge6jxC6Rc

Quote: "Due to the high damage model that Visceral adopted in an attempt to make the game skillful and maybe give the game it's own unique identity set apart from other Battlefield games, they created that environment that's even more brutal than any game that has come before and really put the emphasis on whoever lands that first bullet is going to win. This leads to players dying very quickly in gunfights which if you're constantly on the receiving end of is not very fun.... meaning if you end up in a server full of high-ranking skillful players, you're going to get crushed."
"The issues with Battlefields netcode has always been present, imagine adding those issues into an environment where some guns like the battle-rifles could kill in 3 bullets."
"Why was this system not implemented sooner? Surely, by satisfying players with a fair, consistent gameplay experience, you could have limited the decline in players."
"This change should have been done between the release and the first DLC."

I just thought that was funny. Could have been right out of the DICE explanation why they felt TTK should be increased.

Last edited:

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
God, I had a game where a dude just laid down on his back on aerodrome, completely still out in the open not shooting at anybody. Several of my teammates just ran by him, and I'm like, wait, this dude is alive. I killed him, but his teammate was hiding behind a box nearby and stabbed me in the back.

The most Battlefield moment possible

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I created a user.cfg in the main directory of the game with:

Shadowplay records with a weird 1920x1060 resolution after this, but I figured it's close enough. Obviously you should replace those values with whatever you use in-game.

Thx, that sure helped, but also missing few lines of pixels, does it fix if I add a bit more to those numbers in file? Gonna test anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.