• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleD

Nov 2, 2017
EST
. I'm totally unconvinced by Fortifications, too often it seems like something the guys at the bottom of the scoreboard are doing just for points before they give away the flag.

I literally experienced this last night, thought of this post, and laughed hysterically. Poor fella.
IMO fortifications suit their purpose fairly well when my team actually defends a position. I've also had some good times building them with randos as we are seemingly racing to build them before the enemy returns. Other than that, I see them as a small point boost here and there and I don't mind a few extra points.

DoubleD

Nov 2, 2017
EST
If I recall correctly BF1 was the largest launch. It was like almost 700k concurrent players at launch. However, they did a lot of things right. A new era most games haven't touched and some great marketing. BFV was the complete opposite. A horrible reveal and marketing, plus an era we've seen too many times before. Also there was an era fatigue. WW1 and WW2 feel similar in a lot of ways. They should have done a modern/BC3 (Vietnam to present) or future BF then saved WW2 for later, not coming off the heels of WW1. That's why EA is disappointed with the numbers. BF1 did like 15 million compared to the 7.3 million.
Oh man. I would absolutely love a new Vietnam focused game. I think you're correct about era fatigue. Good point.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
DICE needs to fix the glitch where you spawn into darkness when you join a match and thr only way to fix to it is to die or redeploy. I experience this a few times every time I play

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah for the most part fortifications don't make enough of a difference because it takes a long time to fully fortify a flag for usefulness. Then a plane/tank comes in and destroys it all. I think it needs streamlining somewhat. Your comment is spot on though :)

For some game modes, fortifications don't make much of a difference. In Conquest, for example, they're pretty pointless, because flags change hands often. But for Breakthrough, they can be pretty important for the defenders. Like on Aerodrome for example, if you don't lock down the airplane hanger with fortifications, you can get quickly swamped.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
For some game modes, fortifications don't make much of a difference. In Conquest, for example, they're pretty pointless, because flags change hands often. But for Breakthrough, they can be pretty important for the defenders. Like on Aerodrome for example, if you don't lock down the airplane hanger with fortifications, you can get quickly swamped.
Fortifications are also good in Devastation in Breakthrough, locking down B and C inside the cathedral with fortifications can seriously slow down the attackers. On maps like Hamada, waste of time.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
This round just started. How is that possible? Isn't Frontlines 16v16? lol
zum7JhG.jpg

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
I finally finished this week's Tides of War. It took a lot longer than I thought just to win some games. My team winning percentage has been in the gutter with BFV compared to BF1.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Ugh, cheaters are doing the same thing they do in BF1, which made me jump ship

I'm wondering, just as a thought that when cheaters are banned anyone they killed should get a "death refund". It might not work, but it nullifies the reason why lots of cheaters cheat.

*insert random, crappy scrubs in any given server*

"no ones cheating dude"

VE3TRO

Oct 25, 2017
ESSEX, UK
I thought the 8× .303 Machine was supposed to be a good piece to have? It feels no different to me than not having it equipped. They nerfed it that much now?

Oct 27, 2017
I have to vent about the team of idiots I just had on Hamada Breakthrough, playing as Attack.

I just leave the game if Hamada is picked as a next map, for any mode (CQ, Breakthrough)... The map is horrible. I don't blame people for camping (any side), it is just no fun attacking any point, because the bullets will come from the front, right, left and sometimes even from the back due to how players can hide behind rocks or cliffs.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
I just leave the game if Hamada is picked as a next map, for any mode (CQ, Breakthrough)... The map is horrible. I don't blame people for camping (any side), it is just no fun attacking any point, because the bullets will come from the front, right, left and sometimes even from the back due to how players can hide behind rocks or cliffs.
Yup, this map can fuck off!

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
One thing I am surprised very few people do is crouch run. You don't lose any speed and your profile is harder to see in ditches and behind rocks, but players still run with their heads in the air and their cocks in the wind.

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
One thing I am surprised very few people do is crouch run. You don't lose any speed and your profile is harder to see in ditches and behind rocks, but players still run with their heads in the air and their cocks in the wind.
It's situational really. A lot of the time I'd rather run standing up because I can see around me better. I mostly just crouch run when I don't want to be heard, like flanking around buildings and such.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
It's situational really. A lot of the time I'd rather run standing up because I can see around me better. I mostly just crouch run when I don't want to be heard, like flanking around buildings and such.

See that's good. Situation based to hide your profile is good, but I see dudes on open plains or roads sticking out by standing up.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You do lose speed, not much but still, you can easily see it as you can catch up someone crouch running.

But yep that's a great addition to the series, I like doing it when approaching a capture point.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
You do lose speed, not much but still, you can easily see it as you can catch up someone crouch running.

But yep that's a great addition to the series, I like doing it when approaching a capture point.

Huh weird, I guess I never really tested the speed difference, but I was told you don't lose it from a device interview. Would rather be wrong than think I'm right, so in that case there is a trade off.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh weird, I guess I never really tested the speed difference, but I was told you don't lose it from a device interview. Would rather be wrong than think I'm right, so in that case there is a trade off.
Unless that changed, I often told my friend he was still crouching as I was going faster than him.
There's a speed difference, not huge, but there is, otherwise there would be almost no use in running standing up.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Only two assignments left to get the new Tides of War unlock. Played a couple of rounds of Frontlines and it was all pretty easy to progress.

Two notes:

1) Much like a lot of Battlefield's alternate modes, this is my first time playing Frontlines. Unsurprisingly; I don't like it haha. Seems like even more of a slog than Breakthrough. Played two matches, and the second went on foooooorrrreeeeeeeevveeeeeer due to a dumb back and forth between capture point A and B on Twisted Steel, us on the offence, that went on literally like 20 minutes alone. Then we failed to blow up one of the three bombs, so it was back to the A/B dance. I don't like modes that stall and have no appreciation for time. At least with Conquest there's always a sense of progression and/or loss.

2) First time playing with a squad of assholes. Joined some randoms and the squad leader was a total fuckwit. Very rude and condescending to not just me, but the entire team. It was obviously him and two of his buddies. Demanding, insulting, and generally just an awful person. Him and his two mates were killing it in scores, placing first, second, and third on the board and having absurd 30+ / 4 KDRs. Booted me from the squad for "not holding my weight" (and making it very clear), despite sitting in the fifth slot and doing well enough. After winning the first match he went on a tirade about how the rest of the team needs to get off his dick, how brilliant he is, carrying the team, etc etc. Proceeded to shut up mostly but still dominate the next game (until we won that one, after which he abused the losing team). A lot of the opposition were accusing him of walling. Bad experience.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not even going to log in this week for the assignments. I have more than enough CC now just to buy everything I miss from now on. My interest in the game has been wavering and Apex was the final nail in the coffin for me. I don't even care about getting to 40 in ToW, all you get is some copy paste dog tag and some skins that the whole server is going to be wearing. I definitely want to check out Rush and the new map(s) in March. However, the co-op and new vehicles this month aren't interesting enough to keep me playing.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
Absolutely insane effort to go to. Doesn't seem that likely to be common thankfully, but it has got me wondering about all those people that never spawn. It's rife on Squad Conquest.

Oct 26, 2017
You guys just jelly of dat KD have you considered gitting gud? /s

Finishing Tides of War this week was a slog. I'm kind of sick of challenges of things I've already done, like win as an attacker, or the X objective kills. Just let em be earned simultaneously, you can still require a path to get to the end reward. Or just X many completed. It's really hard to make locked missions not feel like you're getting screwed. And Dice, you have not pulled it off.

Looking ahead a couple of weeks I see all these vehicle challenges. Like... for real? Fighting over tank spawns is a pain in the ass on a good day. This is going to be a fucking disaster. I hope to god you are spinning up Panzerstorm 24/7 with 2x tank spawns.

Sales numbers tanked EA's stock and Firestorm got Pearl Harbored by Respawn. I guess no rush releasing now, may as well wait till March 31 and hope people start getting bored of Apex Legends by then.

Rough Battlefield week all around.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Someone else posted this a while back, but I wanted to re-emphasise it: GaaS is a continual loop; if the game sells poorly at release but you're planning a true GaaS then this should not affect your road map. if you react and start dropping content planned then you will only be telling people never to buy your games again, as you don't support them.

Personally I'd rather they doubled down on BFV, pumped out more content and released a new BF title not before holiday 2021.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Someone else posted this a while back, but I wanted to re-emphasise it: GaaS is a continual loop; if the game sells poorly at release but you're planning a true GaaS then this should not affect your road map. if you react and start dropping content planned then you will only be telling people never to buy your games again, as you don't support them.

Personally I'd rather they doubled down on BFV, pumped out more content and released a new BF title not before holiday 2021.
I hope so. The "best" way is to send out a meaty package update later this year, at the 40 dollar all in or 20 dollars as an upgrade. Similar to what destiny does. It's not great, but if you're geared up for an annual 60 dollar funding cycle it's the least worst compromise...

DoubleD

Nov 2, 2017
EST
If anyone wants to squad up for a frontline session tonight on PS4, I'll be on after 8p EST.
Are people using Discord to squad up? I don't see too many posts here trying to get squads or teams together. I remember getting some good groups together in earlier BF's on the old site.

DoubleD

Nov 2, 2017
EST
I forgot to ask this in my last post and think it deserves its own anyway.
What is your opinion on removing k/d from the end of the round game report? Do you think it would promote more team play?

I am in the removal camp, of which, I hope is large enough to maybe make a change, because as much as I may want to not care about my k/d, it's still broadcasted after each match and I can't help but want to increase it, which makes me play for kills rather than helping my team at times. It's like the old " if you can't beat em, join em" mentality. I do believe that removing that data from the game report, could start making some of those k/d players think differently about how they play this game and give a little more enjoyment to those of us who want to work the objectives. I'm sure there are some like minds here and I'm sure I've missed some points, but I wanted to get my thoughts out there and see what you all think.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I forgot to ask this in my last post and think it deserves its own anyway.
What is your opinion on removing k/d from the end of the round game report? Do you think it would promote more team play?

I am in the removal camp, of which, I hope is large enough to maybe make a change, because as much as I may want to not care about my k/d, it's still broadcasted after each match and I can't help but want to increase it, which makes me play for kills rather than helping my team at times. It's like the old " if you can't beat em, join em" mentality. I do believe that removing that data from the game report, could start making some of those k/d players think differently about how they play this game and give a little more enjoyment to those of us who want to work the objectives. I'm sure there are some like minds here and I'm sure I've missed some points, but I wanted to get my thoughts out there and see what you all think.
How about just showing kills? That could encourage players to PTFO more, since being closer to the action will likely lead to more kills. Tracker sites would still track K/D, though I don't know how widely used they are.

Score and end of round ranking do say a lot about how useful a player was to the team, but OTOH a high K/D with a low score may also be an indication that the player helped the team a lot. Or it might mean vehicle whoring without helping to take objectives, or cheating, or camping with a sniper, or it might be skill. It's hard to say, and if you hide that K/D statistic then it could lead to people not looking to increase their skill. I guess I'm not sure if removing K/D or only showing K would result in more people PTFO and less camping. Maybe it would help a little, but not as much as you hope it would.

Dec 17, 2017

Precisely. I bought BAttlefront 2 at launch under the proviso that I was going to get a GAAS title and that change will be constant. Instead, I got vague roadmaps, content coming "soon", piss-poor "content" spread thinly over too much timespan. It genuinely felt like "oh you wouldn't swallow the microtransaction bullshit and it didn't meet sales targets? Well fuck that title and everyone that plays it" - it was clear that it was kept alive by contractual obligations to Disney, not the players/buyers.

The result to me? I wont touch any inevitable Battlefront 3 with a barge pole and I'm incredibly wary that I've been fooled twice by EA with BFV as I can easily see it go the same way as BAttlefront 2. If that happens, Battlefield is regretfully dead to me.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if removing K/D being displayed would lessen the motivation for cheaters? I did also notice that playing Battlefront 2, people were more willing to push because they didn't have to worry about K/D, it is not recorded.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Precisely. I bought BAttlefront 2 at launch under the proviso that I was going to get a GAAS title and that change will be constant. Instead, I got vague roadmaps, content coming "soon", piss-poor "content" spread thinly over too much timespan. It genuinely felt like "oh you wouldn't swallow the microtransaction bullshit and it didn't meet sales targets? Well fuck that title and everyone that plays it" - it was clear that it was kept alive by contractual obligations to Disney, not the players/buyers.

The result to me? I wont touch any inevitable Battlefront 3 with a barge pole and I'm incredibly wary that I've been fooled twice by EA with BFV as I can easily see it go the same way as BAttlefront 2. If that happens, Battlefield is regretfully dead to me.
Post-launch content distributed freely to everyone tends to be funded by post-launch revenue. No such thing as a free lunch. I haven't been fooled by BFV. The game is decent value, they are bringing a coop mode and battle royale soon, new weapons almost weekly, and anything more than that is a bonus imo. I'd love a ton of free content too, but we have to be realistic.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Battlefront was strange. Honestly, I don't think they should have made a BF2. The original was fine, they just needed to keep adding to it. Like every time some thing new came out. Rogue One, Solo, TLJ, Resistance, and etc. They should have release an expansion for like $30 and just kept adding to the game. Instead they release a new game and fucked everything up.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Battlefront was strange. Honestly, I don't think they should have made a BF2. The original was fine, they just needed to keep adding to it. Like every time some thing new came out. Rogue One, Solo, TLJ, Resistance, and etc. They should have release an expansion for like $30 and just kept adding to the game. Instead they release a new game and fucked everything up.
Expansions are only bought by a fraction of the original owners. They did the right thing with a major release. They chose very very badly with the P2W.

Status
Not open for further replies.