• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't think so. Once experienced the movement and gunplay of BFV, it's hard to go back to BF1 and BF4 for me.
Movement and gunplay is clearly superior, it's not even a matter of opinions.
I prefer the TTK of BFV much more too and the emphasis on squads.
The gunplay is more intuitive but less skilled. Lack of spread increase per shot on the semi autos leads to skilless mag dumping, hurting the overall gunplay in the game.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
You get a tank in Squad CQ.

Honestly, I think there are too many modes. Does anyone even play all of these? I just go into the different modes for assignments. They need to keep it simple.

Conquest
Rush or Breakthrough
TDM and or Dom

Less modes and more maps. This would lead to better map balance and quality.

Nah, drop regular Conquest and put Squad Conquest instead. The reduced scale is the only thing that makes this mode work.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
There probably are too many modes yet again, but it's something they need to take on board for the next game, not start cutting stuff out now. I've got to say as well that Squad Conquest is the best addition to the game, it's only let down by a lack of maps.

I'm finding it weird how popular the idea is that the gun play is great in this. It's definitely easy to get kills, but I think that contributes to so many of the other problems. It's the reason so many players don't move unless they absolutely have to. It seems unlikely DICE will be able to add recoil to guns now because it's so popular.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

In my world where i hate regular Conquest in BFV because there is too much capture points for the players not to wander in all directions and thus we get an unfocused mess of a "battle".

It worked better in the modern eras battlefield because it was easier to move faster from a point to another (more vehicules, choppers, etc). Here, it's not the case. So once a point is captured, you get half the team rushing to recapture said point while the enemy is already capturing something else. It turns very quickly in a game of "catch me if you can" until we reach a point where there is no unified frontline and thus, everyone is attacking in all directions at once. There is no focus, ergo, it's crap to me.

Squad Conquest, with it's smaller player count and only 3 capture points is much less chaotic and keeps the players from running around like idiots.

That's my opinion but i feel strongly about it.

OP
OP

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So let's talk Live Service.
What are everybody's hopes and expectations?
It's safe to assume that we're not getting the same amount of content as we did with the season pass, at least not in the same time frame.
But what is the sweet spot content wise? And I'm talking maps/weapons/vehicles, not new assignments 'n shit.
If we are following the war according to the timeframe, I would expect operation barbarossa in the summer so Russians. Then the US and Japanese in the winter. But thats extremely hopeful wishing on my part haha.

Regardless I do hope Americans are added in within a year..

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
In my world where i hate regular Conquest in BFV because there is too much capture points for the players not to wander in all directions and thus we get an unfocused mess of a "battle".

It worked better in the modern eras battlefield because it was easier to move faster from a point to another (more vehicules, choppers, etc). Here, it's not the case. So once a point is captured, you get half the team rushing to recapture said point while the enemy is already capturing something else. It turns very quickly in a game of "catch me if you can" until we reach a point where there is no unified frontline and thus, everyone is attacking in all directions at once. There is no focus, ergo, it's crap to me.

Squad Conquest, with it's smaller player count and only 3 capture points is much less chaotic and keeps the players from running around like idiots.

I agree completely. In addition, because of the round robin map sprinting in CQ, the planes and tanks are far less important. In modes like Breakthrough and Squad CQ, you have to deal with the tanks. In CQ, just head to another flag. In Breakthrough, the planes are trying to attack the ground focal points, and those on the ground have reason to shoot them down. In CQ, the planes are in their own little world with each other.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Let me clue you into DICE's brilliant game design.

You call in your tank and then you either kill yourself in game, respawn from the menu or hope an enemy kills you before either a squad mate takes it or it vanishes like a fart into the wind.
yes it's kind of stupid that you just can't point to a spot and have the Churchill spawned when you call it for you and your squad to use

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Maps i like, but hate in Frontlines.
Arras too much camping and hiding spots can't snipe here, gotta pick a spray and pray class, Twisted Steel the map is all about the bridge and Frontlines ignores the bridge ..

Maps i hate but like in Frontlines
Hamada, maybe it's less players, no aerial combat, or less tanks, but the map is much easier to navigate in Frontlines, Rotterdam shitty ass map all round but i feel like this map is suited for 32 players, not 64...

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
In my world where i hate regular Conquest in BFV because there is too much capture points for the players not to wander in all directions and thus we get an unfocused mess of a "battle"...

I think you hit on some good points. Imo, they need to increase the time taken to capture flags...it seems too easy to take CPs and the minute you run onto the next one they're gone...it's not totally down to each side chasing each other round the map like Benny Hill.

Quick capture means there's no time to react and put up resistance, hence why I capture a lot of points with zero shots fired, which isn't very interesting.

I also enjoyed SC because it forced people to play as a squad and people played the objective! Neither has really been shown when people play Frontlines or Breakthrough, unfortunately.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I loved Conquest in BF1 and it was the only mode I played, but somehow I've grown to dislike it in BFV and I'm not really sure why. Now I'm enjoying the smaller modes like TDM and Domination way more. So if they are going to add more modes (something I don't necessarily want, I'd rather have them focusing on more maps), I hope it's going to be smaller scale modes.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
I loved Conquest in BF1 and it was the only mode I played, but somehow I've grown to dislike it in BFV and I'm not really sure why. Now I'm enjoying the smaller modes like TDM and Domination way more. So if they are going to add more modes (something I don't necessarily want, I'd rather have them focusing on more maps), I hope it's going to be smaller scale modes.

I like how Grand operations mixes it up but within the overall match, everyone knows for the most part what needs to be done.

We just need more maps :/

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017
Frontlines on Hamada is boring af, honestly. almost 200m per flag and most of the matchs the team stay at the same flag and game turns a TDM for 40min.

and other weapons to support would be nice.. 90% is for prone members.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Game is damn buggy at times, reach level 16 with Recon unlock RSC, can't use it have to leave game to use it, and when it does work and allow you to use the weapon you get the class bug where it won't let you use the class..

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017

I don't really agree with this take. I've been playing BF1942 again and even with basically the same vehicle set (and much much much slower run speed, no sprinting at all) as BFV the flag churn rate is vastly slower than BF3 and 4. This is simply a problem the Frostbite games have that the Refractor ones didn't.

The problem is that it's too easy to move between flags and they cap really fast. In BF2 getting to a flag on most maps required either a transport or a very long time waiting for your sprint meter to fill back up. In Frostbite BFs, you can spawn pretty much wherever you want and you run like you're wearing an exoskeleton, and maps are generally smaller outside of some stand-outs like Hegioland and Panzerstorm. Then on top of that capture times are so fast that by the time anybody realizes you're standing on their flag it's already capped.

On top of that most maps were Conquest Assault, so capturing a flag actually further limited a team's ability to flank around and recap.

Last edited:

Pluna

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Haven't played in the last week. I hope the TTK/TTD/Netcode fixes tomorrow are really noticeable. That would be a game changer for me but I don't really expect that much

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Frontlines is a game mode I feel like I could enjoy somewhat if players had a brain. Spending 30 minutes on a single flag, usually the first one, because both team are too stupid to move to the next one when they need to is far too frustrating.
Also far too many explosives spam in mods like that, lead me to also abuse the shit out of it out of frustration/revenge :
1549880729-explosives.png

Frag Grenade Rifle is just too good.
Please nerf, even if it's something as simple as a ammo nerf, something must be done. ( maybe already part of next patch ? but I don't remember seeing it in the pdf )

Also the only obvious cheater I ever played with and reported after spectating him ( allowing me to see him auto target players behind walls etc.. ) is still playing 8-9 days later. Really does not bring confidence.. :/

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I really do not enjoy playing when the maps rotate to either Panzerstorm, Aerodome or Hamada. Panzerstorm and Aerodome feel like the worst due to the lack of cover, lack of any interesting levels designs players can take advantage of as it's mostly flat fields so there's far less variation in the guns that people use and tactics. I barely see anyone play as medics when these maps come into play as well. The game works well when it's heavily density with buildings and various different levels people can take advantage of. Multiple entry points to Cap rather than a giant open field. Requires players to be aware of different entry points which makes it more exciting to play hearing enemies close by.

As for medics, I think they need to rethink the crates themselves because in it's current state is absolutely pointless. Should have really been a small AOE like it used to be in the previous games rather than requiring players to actually take the pouch and it's the similar situation with support class.
Please nerf, even if it's something as simple as a ammo nerf, something must be done. ( maybe already part of next patch ? but I don't remember seeing it in the pdf )
My biggest problem with the Frag Grenade Rifle just that it's good. It's that it belongs in the Assault Class so they have even more explosives than before and is a mistake that shouldn't have happened. It's not really much of a choice as there both explosives with Frags geared more towards Infantry which the game seems more orientated around that you don't really need to change or adapt with assaults. Medics have to choose between two different gadgets with either Smoke or AP Mines with completely different purposes so you constantly change depending on the situation.

2) Team balancing is absolutely non-existent and frustratingly so.
This one is a huge problem from what I've played. There are times when the other team just completely decimates the others, I was in a match where we had 15 less people than the other teams.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure they're nerfing it, something about it bouncing and maybe less damage?
Nice, anything would be good to take.
As for medics, I think they need to rethink the crates themselves because in it's current state is absolutely pointless. Should have really been a small AOE like it used to be in the previous games rather than requiring players to actually take the pouch and it's the similar situation with support class.
Agreed.
My biggest problem with the Frag Grenade Rifle just that it's good. It's that it belongs in the Assault Class so they have even more explosives than before and is a mistake that shouldn't have happened.
Don't know if the weapon would be better of on another class, but with it's current efficiency I do think it's too good to be on any class, heck it would be even stronger on support with ammo crate ( which is already true for AP & AT mines ).

Oct 27, 2017
A bit off-topic, but am I the only one that doesn't have a desire to play when I could rather wait for a new patch that is imminent?

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
That's totally valid, but I was more like "this game is totally fine as it is now but I would rather wait for the new and shinier version thats right around the corner and play something else in the meantime".

Ah right, so a fuller more complete release. Got you. So something more substantial like the Firestorm or large map pack release along with the fixes and additions that come with it rather than the smaller weekly fixes.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Frontlines embodied the worst of the Battlefield community I've experienced, so far. Maybe just a collective frustration of people being forced to play the mode to acquire the unlock. But it's the only mode where I saw (myself included) people get kicked from squads on a regular basis, and also rampant accusations of hacking. I mean, I got accused of cheating in like...three different matches. And I'm nowhere NEAR good enough to be a cheater. Like, strictly. If I'm sitting halfway on my team's scoreboard, with a modest score, and a KDR of maybe 1.5 and I'm being accused of cheating, you know that community is overly sensitive to losing.

Happened all the time to other players too. It's like so many people just couldn't fathom the idea of being spotted in the grass.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I wouldnt mind them making assault players choose between either an anti tank rpg or the frag nade rifle. Having both is too spammy

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like cheating is one of those things where perception quickly becomes much worse than reality, especially when reality is bad.

IMHO weird glitchy stuff happens in online multiplayer quite often, and if the game is considered generally cheat free, everyone writes it off to lag. But once cheating starts to be documented (in youtube videos, scoreboards, player cams) then suddenly people feel anything and everything is cheating, and there are too many reports to sort out.

Added to this, I'm sure a lot of people still don't know about the spotting flares, so they will feel they were wall hacked. I've killed a few people based purely on shooting just below their spotting symbol, blindly into trees and bushes etc. If they don't know about flares they will think I am cheating.

I've played quite a few frontlines matches on Aerodrome now....it's the only map I find frustrating. The capture point outside in the compound leads to a ridiculous amount of sniper camping on both sides. I've seen 10ish people on both sides hundreds of meters back from the point sniping and counter-sniping each other. Makes total sense for the defenders but is frustrating by the attackers.

Medics could fire in a barrage of smoke allowing assaults to run in and do their bunny-hopping thing.

A couple of good squads can sneak down the central valley and take the snipers from behind, also cutting off the spawn supply chain of new defenders running back to the defense point. I'm a terrible player and even I managed a useful couple of flanks on that map. As I was solo, and not very good, I always got wiped out by freshly spawned assaults jogging their way back to the defense compound.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I like frontlines, though they tend to last too long and without balancing it can become a frustrating mode. However, I don't think I have played the mode before in BFV, since there were never a server in the region. And if there were, it was one and always full. Now there are only Frontlines servers and like three conquest servers lol

OP
OP

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think the rifle grenades are getting nerf so it will bounce if it's shot too close. Or it has to bounce once. I don't remember the exact details..

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
They need to shorten the timer in Frontlines, and fix the broken design which decides the game is a draw even if one team was clearly more successful. In rare games that run really long you get that late push which turns it, although that's probably because people got bored and quit and new blood came in. Most of the time when games get near the time limit they're just boring going back and forth between two flags, with most players not even bothering to run forwards any more. Like the other day in Hamada, our team was pushing forwards then it was something like 225m to the next flag, with a lot of open ground between. Even if you can dodge the sniper and prone lmg fire, just the time it takes to get that far gives the other team a huge advantage in capping that flag. When this back and forth happened a couple of times I thought to myself, I'm not doing this for another 30+ minutes, and I quit.

Oct 27, 2017
Frontlines sounds nice on paper but it has the inherent flaw that a team needs to win so many consecutive encounters in a row to win the match that the teams need to be unbalanced for the mode to be won at all. Its just a 40 minute stall with equal teams, especially with maps with a ridiculously high number of flags like Hamada. And if a team somehow manages to destroy just one bomb it's basically an auto-win since it's unlikely the other team pushes back all the way to the enemy bombs.

It only really somewhat works with 1 flag like in Grand Operations where one lucky push can bring you into the rush phase to actually make a dent at the targets.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm real interested in this patch. TTK/TTD and vehicle balance have me excited. Probably won't even touch the co-op stuff.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
That's where I stand too. The gameplay in the mode is fine, the time it takes to finish isn't.
Same here. It almost begs for a behemoth at some point. Or some larger advancing/defensing tool of sorts.

That said I think there are a couple of points in particular maps or timing of turnover that lend themselves to a long game time. Particularly E-F on Hamada. Too much sideways distance that makes the defenders be able to capture too quickly and push attackers back is an example.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Slightly reduced the splash damage of the PIAT against infantry, especially at close ranges.
Increased the armor value of heavy tanks by 25% against tank cannons. The Tiger and Churchill were outmatched by upgraded medium tanks, and generally were not survivable enough against threats to justify their lower speed and maneuverability.
AP shells should now be a better choice than HE shells when fighting tanks and making good shots, but a worse choice if the angle of attack is poor.
Increased the damage of all tank shells versus infantry by 12%. This should make the tank shells properly lethal against infantry who are crouched, prone, or sprinting.

yay, sounds like a good patch.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Some neat stuff in the change notes. Looking forward to it.

I still haven't figured this out, but once a Tides week is done, is there any way to go back and get the rewards? Perform the tasks late?

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Frontlines is a game mode I feel like I could enjoy somewhat if players had a brain. Spending 30 minutes on a single flag, usually the first one, because both team are too stupid to move to the next one when they need to is far too frustrating.
Also far too many explosives spam in mods like that, lead me to also abuse the shit out of it out of frustration/revenge :
1549880729-explosives.png

Also the only obvious cheater I ever played with and reported after spectating him ( allowing me to see him auto target players behind walls etc.. ) is still playing 8-9 days later. Really does not bring confidence.. :/
My goodness, 41 kills with that bad boy in one match? Equally as impressive is that you got 41 kills with only 90 shots, that's a 45% kill rate per shot. That's incredible lol. They are getting nerfed though. They are so OP yet I've only been killed by them maybe 5 times somehow. Guess not everyone knows about them.

Harpua

Oct 25, 2017
That said I think there are a couple of points in particular maps or timing of turnover that lend themselves to a long game time. Particularly E-F on Hamada. Too much sideways distance that makes the defenders be able to capture too quickly and push attackers back is an example.

This is my problem with Frontlines. Defenders have a clear advantage when pushed back. I'm not sure if it's a distance issue on some maps, the timer starting too quickly not allowing the attackers enough time to advance, or a gameplay mechanic missing from BF1.

Leads to a very boring back and forth. I've been on a ton of teams where they just setup on the flag they just caught since they know it's coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.