• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
Can we have like 1/3 of that Firestorm map and create a new Conquest Extra Large mode with 50v50 players.

Oct 27, 2017
Can we have like 1/3 of that Firestorm map and create a new Conquest Extra Large mode with 50v50 players.

But why?
If you want a meatgrinder, go Breakthrough.
If you want a walking simulator, go Hamada/Twisted Steel.

We need maps which specialize in something as opposed to being just a different layout of the same shit. Maps specializing:
• Urban
• Trenches
• Open fields
• Fortress
• Urban vehicles
• Countryside vehicles
• Forest
• Jungle
• Mountains
• Seaside
• Winter (Fucking 2013 strategy game Coh2 had separate vehicle traction for ice, mud, snow. You would see pathfinding drifting, avoiding destroyed patches of ice and vehicle sinking if the ice is destroyed below them.
• Naval
• Air
• Islands

Then combine those factors with map layout:
• Long and narrow
• Wide open diamond-like
• Square
• Custom shapes, like the Wake Island

Further, combine with the weather, night-time, size or gamemode.

Tl;dr: we don't need bigger game modes because there is an unlimited amount of WW2 content unexplored.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Update from Reddit:

This Week's Highlights
  • BLOGS
    • Battlefield V Quality of Life Tracker - Every week we check the status of top trending/impacting issues and update our list.
    • BLOG: Firestorm Overview
    • Firestorm BLOG: Objectives and Reinforcements
    • Firestorm BLOG: Weapons, Gadgets, and Armor
    • Firestorm BLOG Combat Vehicles, Transport Vehicles, and Towables
  • RELEASE
    • (TBD PENDING CERT ) Battlefield V Chapter 3: Trial By Fire Update #1
  • DISCUSSIONS
    • DISCUSSION: Battlefield V: Firestorm Gameplay Trailer - Let's talk about that gameplay trailer.
    • (TBD PENDING CERT ) DISCUSSION: Battlefield V Chapter 3: Trial By Fire Update #1
    • DISCUSSION: Classes in Battlefield V - While there may be some overlap with our Classes discussion and our previous Gadgets discussion, let's focus specifically on Classes and Combat Roles.
  • TRAILERS/VIDEOS
    • Battlefield V: Firestorm Gameplay Trailer

Please note: Items could shift or be moved out.

• Monday, 3/18/2019
    • This Week in Battlefield V - What you're reading right now! An overview of this week's news, blogs, content, and more.
  • Tuesday, 3/19/2019
    • Weekly Community Highlight – Best Only in Battlefield Moment of the Week-Hot new OIB moment coming in with a new weekly winner! Think you've got a winner? Send it our way on any of the Battlefield channels. Each weekly featured clip will be awarded a Best Community in the World emblem!
    • Last Chance for Weekly Mission Reward - Give the ToW Mission a final push if you haven't completed it yet.
  • Wednesday, 3/20/2019
    • (TBD PENDING CERT) Battlefield V Chapter 3: Trial By Fire Update #1 Notes
    • (TBD PENDING CERT) Battlefield V Chapter 3: Trial By Fire Update Deploy Timing
    • DISCUSSION: Classes in Battlefield V - While there may be some overlap with our Classes discussion and our previous Gadgets discussion, let's focus specifically on Classes and Combat Roles.
  • Thursday, 3/21/2019
    • (TBD PENDING CERT) Battlefield V Chapter 3: Trial By Fire Update #1 Releases
    • Battlefield V: Firestorm Gameplay Trailer Releases - Our gameplay trailer for Battlefield V: Firestorm goes live.
    • DISCUSSION: Battlefield V: Firestorm Trailer - Let's talk about that gameplay trailer.
    • (TBD PENDING CERT) DISCUSSION: Battlefield V Chapter 3: Trial By Fire Update #1
    • Battlefield V Quality of Life Tracker Update
    • FIRESTORM BLOG: Firestorm Overview
    • FIRESTORM BLOG: Objectives and Reinforcements
    • FIRESTORM BLOG: Weapons, Gadgets, and Armor
    • FIRESTORM BLOG Combat Vehicles, Transport Vehicles, and Towables
  • Friday, 3/22/2019
    • DEV TALK - Dev Talks have returned!
    • BLOG: Chapter 3 FAQ
    • Weekly Debrief - Your one-stop destination for all the blogs, videos, and major news that happened in the week.

Notes & Addendums
  • RE: The Roadmap - We're working very diligently with various teams to roll out the next roadmap this week, potentially dropping this Friday. Once we have been signed off with our various partners, we'll update this calendar with the Roadmap release date.
  • There is no ToW Weekly Challenge this week.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
DICE need an entire team working on some kind of algorithm based on bomber/jet location relative to spawn points because if I spawn right on top of a bomber's bombing run one more fucking time I'm going to throw my computer off the balcony.

They can easily fucking fix these spawn deaths by adding some short spawn protection/invulnerability. Make it so the player can't shoot either so they wouldn't have an advantage.

Oct 27, 2017

Most modes give the attackers an extra tank, which is supposed to balance the map. You play breakthrough: AA tanks make a short work of snipers/MGs, while Heavier tanks demolish fortifications.

The problem starts with a map like Devastation Breakthrough, where attackers are just fucked: no vehicles, no cover, no high ground. Defenders have the buildings, elevation, ammo, fortifications etc.

And then there are maps like Aerodrome, where attackers have 4 tanks, trenches and the entire cliff to attack from, there aren't even good fortification position for defenders (AT guns, tank traps, barricades).

This roadmap... I bet the conflict is DICE trying to allocate enough resources for what they planned to do with ToW, while EA "legal and finance divisions" are like:
DLyF4IjXUAUX9ht.jpg

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Most modes give the attackers an extra tank, which is supposed to balance the map. You play breakthrough: AA tanks make a short work of snipers/MGs, while Heavier tanks demolish fortifications.

The problem starts with a map like Devastation Breakthrough, where attackers are just fucked: no vehicles, no cover, no high ground. Defenders have the buildings, elevation, ammo, fortifications etc.

And then there are maps like Aerodrome, where attackers have 4 tanks, trenches and the entire cliff to attack from, there aren't even good fortification position for defenders (AT guns, tank traps, barricades).

This roadmap... I bet the conflict is DICE trying to allocate enough resources for what they planned to do with ToW, while EA "legal and finance divisions" are like:
DLyF4IjXUAUX9ht.jpg

I like Attrition, but I feel like Battlefield players are some of the suckiest bunch of players ever

In any other team game— OW, Siege, etc., I can consistently rely on teammates giving me what I need

BF, for being such a team based game and for all dice's experienc, never gets this shit right. The commorose is still crap.

Medics do help, but they are fewer in between thanks to how crazy versatile Assault is. I just feel as if Medics and support are too infrequent and support never tosses ammo

Dying because i need to camp because i dont have any meds left really sucks. Begging teammates for health packs also sucks. I still think they should allow us to pick off items from teammates if they dont give u shit, or at least make crates tossed out last a longer time in the game world (maybe allow 2 at a time?)

Alternatively, buff the supply drop reinforcement so it has like 20 uses instead of like 1

And why does this series still have such awful team structure. Where is the communication between squad leaders or ways to organize strategies. MAG had this

Oct 27, 2017
I like Attrition, but I feel like Battlefield players are some of the suckiest bunch of players ever

I rarely run out of ammo, but it is because I play smaller modes and support... I like attrition as a concept and mechanic, but I don't see it working in BFV:

• The brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt spam class is not affected by the ammo at all.
• Sniper class is also not really affected: low RoF, and you can always walk to the ammo cache in the complete safety.

Attrition punishes players who dive-into the action: limiting their ammo capacity and heath-regen. Same for the tanks: the campy shitters who stay behind are rewarded with better ammo and repair options than the tanks who dive into the objectives.

Don't know how to fix it, kind of DICE screwed up by pushing the half-baked game, while at the same time applying massive changes to attrition between Open-Beta and Release.

Oct 26, 2017
^That's all spot on. Hardline let you run up and hump a support for ammo if I recall. It helped. The BF playerbase is a huge problem. Not just that they suck... it's just a franchise that draws in a lot of players with a casual mindset. They'll kick back and snipe while watching the 32v32 chaos unfold for ambiance. It's also kind of hard to care about playing hard when you're in a lobby where you know your team is going to lose. Or even when you know they're going to win.

Every once in a while I can get some kind of 'strategy' going with text chat... god help console players in that regard. All the squad/class mechanics could probably use a complete reboot not just for BFV but for the whole franchise in my opinion. I'm sure that could be improved. I don't know if a 32v32 game can really ever be done in a way where it will feel competitive in the way the Siege and Overwatch do though.

They can improve the number of games where you feel like you have the opportunity to make a difference in the outcome though. Team balancing could at least... exist. I know it's an uphill battle with the rates that people quit out of games. But I think everyone agrees they could do better.

And class abilities, and 'teamwork' bonuses (e.g. my potato aim buddy is happy to be full time repair guy on the back of my Tiger soooo I guess I win every tank battle with my infinite health) need to be reworked in a way where being organized doesn't give you that huge of an advantage. Being able to grab health/ammo from your teammates is a start. Squad spawning needs to be redone/done away with. Maybe the spawn beacon should be the only way to spawn outside control points, and it becomes a gadget given to the squad leader only rather than scouts. And squad leader automatically goes to the player with the highest career score/experience unless he relinquishes it.

I bought Squad a while back but never played it. I know that game has the benefit of attracting a different kind of player. I wonder if they made the large scale combat game actually work and I'm just stupidly spitballing half-assed solutions to problems that they've already solved. I need to give that game an 8 hour chunk of my time one of these days.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
But why?
If you want a meatgrinder, go Breakthrough.
If you want a walking simulator, go Hamada/Twisted Steel.

We need maps which specialize in something as opposed to being just a different layout of the same shit. Maps specializing:
• Urban
• Trenches
• Open fields
• Fortress
• Urban vehicles
• Countryside vehicles
• Forest
• Jungle
• Mountains
• Seaside
• Winter (Fucking 2013 strategy game Coh2 had separate vehicle traction for ice, mud, snow. You would see pathfinding drifting, avoiding destroyed patches of ice and vehicle sinking if the ice is destroyed below them.
• Naval
• Air
• Islands

Then combine those factors with map layout:
• Long and narrow
• Wide open diamond-like
• Square
• Custom shapes, like the Wake Island

Further, combine with the weather, night-time, size or gamemode.

Tl;dr: we don't need bigger game modes because there is an unlimited amount of WW2 content unexplored.
Eh, it could be fun or it could be disastrous. They should at least try it out through a CTE.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I like attrition as it pertains to vehicles, however, when it comes to infantry it's bad. It's the reason why class balance is so fucked up. Overall, all it does is reinforce the passive meta this game has been since launch.

Oct 26, 2017
So after playing for a couple of hours just grinding ToW XP I decided to try Combined Arms. I know. It's not good. Just wanted to see for myself. It filled up the Kill 3 Vehicles in a round bar which I was just going to do in 10 minutes of flying a plane once I got back to Conquest but anyway.... so it filled up and completed the Assignment, then the Summary screen said something about Couldn't Fetch Report using ID 0 or some such shit... my ToW Assignment has completely disappeared...

AND I DIDN'T GET THE FUCKING 30,000XP FROM IT. Restarted the game, didn't help.

Complete and utter trash. Just. Why?

Edit: Also... my last multiplayer game... I earned 26k XP or so. 17.6k applied to Tides of War. What the fuck are the rules?

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
A guy on Reddit posted all the archetypes the game was going to launch with:

The following list and details were taken straight from the game files and show what DICE had in mind for the class system in Battlefield V till mid 2018. You would start with a base version of your class and then unlock additional archetypes by progressing your class rank (similar to the unlocking process of combat roles we have today - the replacement for of this system).

Assault

BASE: One weapon (unclear what they meant here)

Gadgets: none

LIGHT INFANTRY: Assault Rifles & Semi-Auto Rifles

"Assault the objective and don't abort when you run into resistance, thanks to your superior physique and the uncanny ability to find more ammo on dead enemies."

Gadgets: Grenade Rifle & Sticky Dynamite

ANTI TANK: No Primary Weapons, only Carbines, Machine Pistols

"Anti Tank does not have any primary weapons. Instead it have rocket launchers, find a tank and blow it up."

Gadgets: Panzerfaust, Panzerschreck, PIAT or Fliegerfaust, AT Shaped Charge or Sticky Dynamite

RIFLEMAN: Semi Auto Rifles, Pistols

"Rifleman have access to Semi Autos. It is specialized for mid range combat"

Gadgets: Adrenaline Syrette, Flamethrower Pistol

Medic

BASE: Semi Auto Rifles, Bandages

COMBAT MEDIC: SMGs, Pistols

"Offensive medic, Have access to SMGs, Fire grenade, health buff syrette and bandages"

Gadgets: Adrenaline Syrette, Bandages

FIELD MEDIC: SMGs

"A crucial squad member, the Field Medic can engage enemies with confidence, but thrives on healing and reviving teammates to keep them in the fight."

Gadgets: Bandages & Grenade Rifle

Support

BASE: LMGs

Gadgets: Ammo Pouch

MACHINE GUNNER: MMGs

"Make it rain with this heavy support. Lay down suppressive fire to lead your squad behind enemy lines."

Gadgets: Ammo Crate & Flare Gun

ENGINEER: LMGs & Shotguns

"An excellent defender, the Support Engineer can lay down heavy fire as well as repair vehicles and quickly build Fortifications and heavy weapons."

Gadgets: Ammo Pouch & Anti-Tank Mines

Recon

BASE: Sniper Rifle (not really clear)

Gadgets: none

PARATROOPER: Suppressed SMGs

"This archetype is stealthy. It's using suppressed weapons and can throw knifes."

Gadgets: Garotte, Flare Gun

RECON: Self-Loading Rifles

"Mid Range recon. Great at spotting enemies and gather intelligence for it's teammates."

Gadgets: Spyglass, Tripwire Mine, Sniper Decoy or Flare Gun

SNIPER: Bolt Action Rifles & Self-Loading Rifles

"The Sniper is trained to engage with high precision from a distance, and is well versed in tracking enemy targets and relaying intel to teammates."

Gadgets: Spotting Scope & Betty Bomb

As you can see the Archetype system was pretty restrictive. Carbines and Machine Pistols were supposed to be stronger "sidearms" but not as strong as primary weapons - no wonder they couldn't fit them in after ditching the Archetypes.

There are a few additional perks mentioned (e.g. "garotte spotting" which reveals the location of an enemy squad if you kill someone with your garotte) but most of them is just general stuff like "more dynamite".

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/b1rh4n/battlefield_v_history_all_10_archetypes_sub/

It's pretty interesting that they almost went back to the more clearly defined classes the Refractor games had, and then pulled back to the free-form loadouts we've had for the last few games. Shows just how much more "classic" the game was before the beta.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
Explosive spam was certainly a problem in previous games, but mot nearly as big a problem as players camping and ignoring the objectives. Attrition has definitely killed the explosive spam (unless you're on a flag and bombers is this weeks flying meta), but made the camping and ignoring the objective problem very much worse.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
I bought Squad a while back but never played it. I know that game has the benefit of attracting a different kind of player. I wonder if they made the large scale combat game actually work and I'm just stupidly spitballing half-assed solutions to problems that they've already solved. I need to give that game an 8 hour chunk of my time one of these days.

Squad is fun, but it's a bit too milsim-y for me. At the time I played it (which was a while ago mind) there really wasn't much vehicle play either, APCs were about as far as it went.

The old Battlefield games were great because they had a more deliberate pace than the typical shooter without being inaccessibly hardcore. Nowadays if you want a Battlefield game, your choices are basically super-fast infantry shootbangers like BF4 (every BF clone these days aims for BF4), an infantry milsim like Squad, or a game with all vehicles and no infantry like War Thunder. There's not any game that plays like BF2 anymore and it makes me sad.

Oct 27, 2017
I am 100% convinced that all Search and Destroy-type mission would be won if there was someone organizing the tactics. Even if there was a counterpart on the defending team, you cannot mobilize against the co-ordinated assault in time.

Panzerstorm Airborn is the crazy map where 25vs25 will fight for the A-B points, while C-D will be ghosttowns. If you channel 25 players into the objective which isn't filled with 25 red-dots, you simply brute-force the enemy.

The inability to coordinate anything regarding COMBINED ARMS gameplay approach is why BF is a laughing stock when it comes to the competitive side, which is exactly why so many players are interested in games like LoL, CSGO or even COD. I have long accepted that I am just a soldier in the battle where my actions don't matter, and nobody is interested in anything but fragging. The game has a lot of mechanics built around communication and teamplay, but they are impossible to utilize.

You have fighter planes, recon planes, bombers, smoke barrages, breakthrough tanks, tank destroyers, bridge-builders, mechanics, spotters, transport AND NOBODY WILL EVER TALK TO EACH OTHER.

Commander: everyone, SMOKE AND RUSH A, Takeshi castle
Everyone:
LoathsomeElaborateAcornbarnacle-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I use a lot the chat in the game. "This point is empty", "They're flaking though that point", "Use smoke and push", etc. Though most people use it to rant, troll or joke. I imagine this is a bigger problem in consoles since in practice there isn't a chat.

In regards to attrtition, I've always liked it more as it was in the Beta. Way less camping since you actually had to scavenge, but you had to complain too much about "limiting muh skill" huh?

I've said about having an "Attrition Conquest" mode with the beta settings, but I don't think we're read too much except for Elenarie here.

I haven't made a Reddit account so I think my idea is DOA

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The only time I ever used chat was just to say lol after I got killed by a hacker.

The chat is just dumpster fire garbage. I lose nothing of value by having it off.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
My chat usage is usually just letters. To try to warn of iminent arriving of enemies on a point. I'm not sure anybody gives a fuck.

Something cool wood be a ping system like Apex to people around you, but not just your squad. I mean, even the simple ping that we have currently should propagate to those around you. Limiting it to the squad is almost useless most of the time.

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
The only time I ever used chat was just to say lol after I got killed by a hacker.

The chat is just dumpster fire garbage. I lose nothing of value by having it off.

My chat usage is usually just letters. To try to warn of iminent arriving of enemies on a point. I'm not sure anybody gives a fuck.

Something cool wood be a ping system like Apex to people around you, but not just your squad. I mean, even the simple ping that we have currently should propagate to those around you. Limiting it to the squad is almost useless most of the time.

Absolutely disgusting.

Though I've noticed that in US servers at least people talk more, but less useful things.

In Latam we speak less, and also we have to try to understand between spanish and portuguese. In any case, I at least try to be useful, and I notice that people tend to follow these suggestions or try to give their own. I strongly suggest everyone to just give orders. Who gives a fuck if not everyone follows them, you lose nothing for trying

Oct 26, 2017
I like how whenever I am trying to type something into chat the game UI will furiously remove the chat box to show me some garbage. And half the time I'll still be able to invisibly finish typing, and the other half it just disappears everything I was trying to say. Hey DICE, you realize I can still see all the rest of the garbage behind the tiny transparent chat window right? Like, let me finish my thought... The chat should just stay in front of everything else until I dismiss it.

FRV

Oct 27, 2017

Please no more Norway.

I really hope they are not wasting resources on a new Norway map. If its a modified version of SP or BR map, then yeah sure.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I keep thinking about what this game would look/play like if there were Pacific Maps. A Battle Midway, Coral Sea, etc. with tons of planes and ships everywhere would be incredible. There are so many areas of WW2 this game will probably not see realized :\, like DICE said they wanted 'lesser known' stuff but didn't capitalize on the Finnish War either so yeah. That's more morning pessimism thoughts :).

I've been taking a short break from the game while I work on building my new personal office space and a new computer to boot (2700X+2080Ti). Excited to see this game on maximum graphics. Frostbyte scales surprisingly well to low-end hardware too as I had been using my older Intel i7 3820 + 1060 PC since this game released.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I want full playable ships, like in BF 1942. However, I doubt they'll ever come back. Probably have too many players just beaching them or ramming each other. lol

u9x4r5kg8vl11.png

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

Please no more Norway.

I really hope they are not wasting resources on a new Norway map. If its a modified version of SP or BR map, then yeah sure.

Gotta reuse those assets baby!
At this point I'll take anything they throw our way, map wise. Just as long it's something new.
And I hope they realize people play the smaller modes too and it would be nice to see some new maps for those as well.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Still no info regarding the promised Greece map...
Ok at least the Firestorm map is gonna be really huge:)

Oct 27, 2017

Chat is fun, especially if it manages to balance the fine line between memes, banter and toxicity. As far as tactics and strategy, the chat is useless.

Releases in 18 hours.

These embedded scheduled videos are bad. They look like an actual video, until you click on them and get the timer... I knew it wasn't today, but I still clicked based on the impulse...

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I thought there was gonna be some notes or something release today. Soon I bet...

Still no info regarding the promised Greece map...
Ok at least the Firestorm map is gonna be really huge:)

Patch is supposed to launch tomorrow, and the notes today, but when they announced it it was marked as "TBD: Pending Certification" so it's possible it's going to be delayed

Roadmap is in the same spot, scheduled to release this friday, but it need the greenlight from legal and financial teams.

It seems that releasing these things close to the end of Fiscal year isn't a good idea, they are all afraid that a mistake will tank shares

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So we aren't getting the new map this month. I had a feeling this was going to happen since they haven't said anything about it.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Mostly tweaks to vehicules apparently.

And modifications to semi-auto rifles recoils. Maybe this will make them less overwhelmingly superior ?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Mostly tweaks to vehicules apparently.

And modifications to semi-auto rifles recoils. Maybe this will make them less overwhelmingly superior ?

Recoil isn't going to do anything. It's the 3x scope that's the issue. CQC you can spec for hipfire and then you just destroy everything else at mid and long range because of the 3x scope.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm jumping back in for the first time since...December? i think, and trying to catch up on news/info. Have they said anything about what is coming up after the Firestorm stuff yet? The only road map of sorts I remember seeing stopped at March.

(sorry if this has been asked a bunch)

OP
OP

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm jumping back in for the first time since...December? i think, and trying to catch up on news/info. Have they said anything about what is coming up after the Firestorm stuff yet? The only road map of sorts I remember seeing stopped at March.

(sorry if this has been asked a bunch)
There should be a new roadmap and it should cover up to 6 months on Friday I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.