• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
USA
As soon as you lose momentum in grind it's all over.

Whoever keeps the center point for the first 3 minutes is going to win, almost every time.

I also think it's a bit too narrow. There should be at least 2 more flank options on each side.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
I don't mind Grind, but I doubt I'll be bothered when it goes. Flanking seems possible, but more as a way of getting kills than winning. It doesn't feel like many people are thinking of winning anyway . There's so little movement, I wouldn't even call it camping. There's even more lag than the normal game, I was either slaughtering people or or couldn't buy a kill.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
As soon as you lose momentum in grind it's all over.

Whoever keeps the center point for the first 3 minutes is going to win, almost every time.

I also think it's a bit too narrow. There should be at least 2 more flank options on each side.

Back in my TF2 days I loved this kind of mode - it was straight forward enough that people could follow but also made matches interesting when you could fight n turn it around

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of making a map like operation metro or operation locker dice just decided to cut up maps are weren't designed for this type of gameplay.

Oct 26, 2017
Cordoning off chunks of the map for garbage modes (e.g. TDM, Domination) is a longstanding tradition at this point with BF. COD players come play our game plz here is some spawn and die/kill within 3 seconds gameplay what's that you want to play Battlefield for Battlefield stuff? There's not enough of you find us some more COD players and have them check out "Grind".

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I like Grind. But i was one of those savages that liked Metro so t'was to be expected.

Devastation is not really adapted for the mode and Narvik is still Narvik, but there's loads of fun to be had on Rotterdam and Twisted. I've made 25-0 on Rotterdam by attacking with an MG-42 (almost never went prone). Felt good. I got downed a few but that's the mode where everyone is reviving and healing so i couldn't stay dead.

Weirdly enough, it seem to be the best mode for witnessing medics actually doing their jobs.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
It is SMG friendly and one of the assignments is five revives in a life. With all these modes, you can't really be sure how it will play until the assignments are over and the really uninterested players have gone.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
I have had a few genuinely good matches on grind so far but just as many dreadful ones. Devestation is the worst map in the rotation though. The choke points are just too narrow for a map that has almost no vertical. Twisted Steel and Narvik each having 3 levels means people can actually get behind the front line. Rotterdam has two levels and a wider mid section but it doesn't seem to work as well. The team that controlls the railway just has too much positional advantage.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
Played a few rounds of grind yesterday. Can't say I like it nor dislike it, this will be exactly like metro/locker for me : a few games here and there just to put my brain in OFF position. But the overall feeling is a bit different from Metro, yes you still have the crazyness of kill kill kill moments, but Metro could be really great when you have a team pushing coordinately and achieving a breakthrough to cap B after being hammered by defense. No such thing in grind (at least for the few matches I played) as there's no clearly established chokepoints and players can easily flank to cap A or C (except may be in Devastation if you want to take A). But even if you can flank, the first team to B will be the winning one. On the 8 (very short) matches I played, we won all of them by a huge margin as we were always a bunch of players running straight to B.

Re. the maps, Devastation is...Devastation, that's the closest one to it's normal CQ variant, nothing really special except if you want to push to A and the opposite team is just camping (but if you want A it means that you already have B and C so at this point the match isn't really moving anymore) .
Rotterdam is borring, all the action is almost exclusively on the tracks, not the ground, you can't see shit for almost 75% of the match as soon as medics start their smoke barrage because of the extremely narrow playground + the train wrecks blocking aim sight (I think i made half of my kills without seeing the target just firing through smoke...).
Narvik is OK, can be fun with many covers giving you the opportunity to move forward on the 2 levels with possible flanking on the ground level.
Twisted steel is... so awfull that it made me laugh really hard, this is medic and support heaven, if you need any "X revive/heal/give ammo/use grenade..." for your assignments this is where you need to go, it's completely crazy with both teams facing each other 10m away. I think I spend 45s not moving just throwing continuously ammo to my teammates, same with med packs and I'm pretty sure that if you need the "X revive in one life" this can be achieved extremely easily in this mode/map. The lower corridors made for flanking just don't work : 1 or 2 snipers can hold it too easily and it's clearly the best way to die almost instantly this makes flanking by this route almost impossible, I played twice on TS and each time 95% of the action was on the bridge, and anyway I didn't have the feeling that anyone was looking to try to flank but clearly going for the full front assault. MMG are king obviously, but medic can also have a lot of fun.

I'm pretty sure this mode is here to stay and will be one of the most played. This kind of meat grinder mode exists in BF since a long time and even if it will never be my prefered one, I think it's a key for player retention which in the end will benefit the whole community.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Well, without the Grind mode, we still have a kind of Meat-grinder experience with the Airborne rounds in Grand-Ops. Particularily defending/attacking B on Narvik Airborne. This area of the map is always complete and utter madness (and a medic heaven). And would the attacking team destroy 3 objectives, the 4th is almost always complete chaos (especially true on Hamada).

So there's always Airborne at least. Shame it's locked to Grand-Ops.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Grind being what I expected it to be, I gave something a try :
1555669447-battlefield-v-screenshot-2019-04-19-12-13-52-99.jpg

1555669447-battlefield-v-screenshot-2019-04-19-12-13-48-36.jpg
So 24 of those 25 kill are explosives kill ( as shown by the 2nd screenshot ) from PIAT and frag launcher as assault, of ennemies I didn't even see on my screen, just spaming the contested B flag; from the first flag by the ammo crate.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Grind being what I expected it to be, I gave something a try :
So 24 of those 25 kill are explosives kill ( as shown by the 2nd screenshot ) from PIAT and frag launcher as assault, of ennemies I didn't even see on my screen, just spaming the contested B flag; from the first flag by the ammo crate.

Yeah, did that too. I hate using the frag rifle and i had an achievement to do where i had to deal 950 dmg with it while attacking objectives. So Grind was just the perfect place to do that.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, did that too. I hate using the frag rifle and i had an achievement to do where i had to deal 950 dmg with it while attacking objectives. So Grind was just the perfect place to do that.
Too bad I couldn't record a few gif ( GeForce experience share/record has problem each time I make the mistake of going in spectator mode in bfV, no idea why ), but I honestly got 2 or 3 triple kills with the frag rifle doing random shot to the contested flag.

Now to be fair that was on Twisted Steel, Rotterdam is probably far less explosive spam friendly.

Next up is trying to get some of the top score never shooting, just spamming flare on Recon.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
The little metal houses on the bridge in Narvik are litteral explosive traps. There's always someone in them in Grind, just chuck grenades in them and you'll get kills. :p

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Grind is mostly awesome. I enjoyed playing the mode all day yesterday with all that beautiful chaos (and annoying insta deaths) between functioning medics reviving/healing, the gun fire everywhere, nades and rockets going off.
I think the map adaptation has largely worked for a meat grind game mode apart from Devestation which is meh.

Really hope DICE consider keeping it in.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Duo's is buggy, too many times my friend and I have been disconnected while the game was loading after waiting 2-3 mins for a match, when we disconnect and regroup we can't rejoin Firestorm, have to completely close the game and restart...

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Done with all of this weeks achievements. I think i like the Commando Carbine. It's clearly not ideal for Grind but it's a good little gun.

Oct 27, 2017
Duo's is buggy, too many times my friend and I have been disconnected while the game was loading after waiting 2-3 mins for a match, when we disconnect and regroup we can't rejoin Firestorm, have to completely close the game and restart...

This happened to me any time I alt-tabbed the game, and it was looking for more than a minute. You simply cannot have it in the background when matchmaking.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Finaly tried it with a friend, I was spamming explosives he was spamming flare, I lost :'( :

Medic weapon unlocked now I can go back to battlefield, I mean conquest.
This is awesome! I haven't played the new mode but you could rack up a LOT of points with the recon flare. Camp the resupply points near the wave and go to town. I'm a bit disappointed your friend got 1 kill...kind of spoiled their score sheet :)

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
This is awesome! I haven't played the new mode but you could rack up a LOT of points with the recon flare. Camp the resupply points near the wave and go to town. I'm a bit disappointed your friend got 1 kill...kind of spoiled their score sheet :)
Yeah I was disapointed too. :'( But to be fair it was in self defense when someone flanked us ( this is also why 1 of my kills wasn't done with explosives ).

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Grind, a pathetic attempt trying to recapture the craziness of Metro/Locker..
It's what happens when someone who doesn't understand the allure of those maps tries to recreate it.

Warm take: There should be no resupply stations. It would cut down on explosive spam and help churn. We've got two classes dedicated to replicating those stations. Let the team that best does that win.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Sticking 64 players in a small area is bad idea, i have had some of the most shitty games ever playing this mode since i am constantly getting network errors, last night it was really awful my network icon was constant red, and even when it's not in red i am seeing players rubberband...

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently, the anti cheat doesn't understand how can someone get 15k with no death or kills with the flare challenge. A bunch of people seem to have been banned because of that. So be carefull guys.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
Back to BFV after several weeks. Grind feels very good to me, I was a fan on Metro.

Is there still no way to get the old assignments ? And god damn, what happened to the recoil of the Selbstlader... Not playable IMO

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, the carbine is some kind of short range sniper. At long distance, it's like 4/5 shots to kill someone when at short it's a kill on any headshot. It's weird.

But on flank attacks, it can be very effective since people don't really react to your shots (and you don't have flash fire so you don't get detected as easily). That's just extremely different than anything we had yet. I kinda like it.

The only "problem" is that i don't think it's a gun that will help fighting the prone meta. On the contrary.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Why cant they get rid of the countdown timer when the match is full in firestorm

Really wish they could speed things up or give us respawn beacons.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Going from Grind to Firestorm is a clash of two worlds... in a good way.
I love what BFV is becoming honestly:)
The game feels right to me and i'm having a LOT of fun with it.
And Squad Conquest is coming too. Good times.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I've just been popping back in the subreddit / this thread every few days to see if they've added any content to Conquest that's worth reinstalling the game for.

Saw the post about Grind sticked in the subreddit and genuinely thought it was a late April Fools / Parody post haha

Community: We would like new large-scale maps / theaters of war for the conquest mode, new factions etc
DICE: HAVE A MODE WITH THE SAME MAPS BUT LESS OF THEM

They even named it "Grind" as in you can grind out those shitty assignments lmao. Yikes.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I've just been popping back in the subreddit / this thread every few days to see if they've added any content to Conquest that's worth reinstalling the game for.

Saw the post about Grind sticked in the subreddit and genuinely thought it was a late April Fools / Parody post haha

Community: We would like new large-scale maps / theaters of war for the conquest mode, new factions etc

They even named it "Grind" as in you can grind out those shitty assignments lmao. Yikes.
Because dice believes that new modes are new content.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
I bought every single BF day 1 since BF2

I really miss the experience, but I skipped this waiting for more content and a better experience. Reading you fills my heart with sadness

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because dice believes that new modes are new content.
Because those two things cost the same to make right?

Status
Not open for further replies.