• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
The progression was supposed to be seasonal with weekly/chapter progression being the main drive. It doesn't explain why you cap the account progression so low, but most speculated that they didn't want to give any extra rewards.

As if people would care about another way to earn rewards, we've already have three ways to earn stuff/coins. They literally could've kept everything in place and upped the levelcap with only the icons/medals as rewards. The decisions they make are baffling sometimes.....

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
I wonder if they originally wanted that sort of tiered system where you had to grind MP every week to stay gold on the scoreboard.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Probably a stupid question, but if player retention is so important, why not do a levelcap of 500 from the get go?

They thought ToW would be a sufficient substitute for it. It turns out it wasn't. They also said that they underestimated the time it would take players to get to level 50. So, they pretty much fucked up twice and now are finally fixing it.

BF 2 had the best system and it's fucking 14 years old.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
So not sure if anyone else has mentioned this yet, but Mercury gives me huge regular performance hits on my PS4 Pro. Unlike any other map. Also really doesn't seem to be any more taxing than other maps afaik?..

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I came back to this with the new Greece map, Christ almighty the game looks so muddy at 1440p, and they force the TAA...
Is there any way to clean this image up, make it look as it should?

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, what the hell, the characters with hair like in the promotional images are being sold now??
Why are the default characters still bald, why can't there be hair customization??

Thomas

Dec 11, 2017
Sweden
Well to be fair, I think that the map is unfinished. It has less flags than the trailer, it has placeholder music that doesn't suit the feel of it (it's Narvik music, made for a snowy map on a sunny beach day? LOL). The after round music is good though, etc.

Holy shit lol 500 levels

There seems to be some kind of surprise regarding the missing two flags.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Good.
Well I would prefer the map we waited 6 month for, not to be released as version 0.5 but I'll take anything which could make the map better. Still expect/hope that it mean the island will be a flag/access to sea, but that boat will sadly only come with the japan/usa release.
Please also take the opportunity to add more cover against sniper.

Now if they could do something about that :
1559404474-battlefield-v-screenshot-2019-06-01-14-44-50-47.png

Looking outside from a building shouldn't make you blind, crazy talk I know. I encourage people from Dice who deal with the lighting, to look through their window or something.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Good.
Well I would prefer the map we waited 6 month for, not to be released as version 0.5 but I'll take anything which could make the map better. Still expect/hope that it mean the island will be a flag/access to sea, but that boat will sadly only come with the japan/usa release.
Please also take the opportunity to add more cover against sniper.

Now if they could do something about that :
1559404474-battlefield-v-screenshot-2019-06-01-14-44-50-47.png

Looking outside from a building shouldn't make you blind, crazy talk I know. I encourage people from Dice who deal with the lighting, to look through their window or something.

giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. Even if it was realistic I don't think it makes for fun gameplay. I didn't like it in BF1 either personally, though it's even worse now in BFV. I wonder why they don't remove the effect entirely, are there many people that like it?

I like camera effects in the trailer, but the second I am controlling my avatar, get that sun exposure effect out of my monitor. Worst case scenario, there has to be a slider somewhere which disables it.

Advertising the game using cinematic effects, while removing them from the game for the benefit of the players, could be an interesting discussion in itself.

Oct 25, 2017
One of today's daily assignments is to play Frontlines, but they removed the Frontlines playlist.

Chef's kiss, DICE, c'est magnifique!

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I like camera effects in the trailer, but the second I am controlling my avatar, get that sun exposure effect out of my monitor. Worst case scenario, there has to be a slider somewhere which disables it.

Advertising the game using cinematic effects, while removing them from the game for the benefit of the players, could be an interesting discussion in itself.
A slider or on/off option would be amazing but I think it's been said that it's way more complicated than that? I totally have no clue hah. Also it'd be the first thing the more hardcore players would disable with the average player probably having no idea of its existence putting beginners at a big disadvantage so it's super tricky. Ugh lol.

Oct 27, 2017
A slider or on/off option would be amazing but I think it's been said that it's way more complicated than that? I totally have no clue hah. Also it'd be the first thing the more hardcore players would disable with the average player probably having no idea of its existence putting beginners at a big disadvantage so it's super tricky. Ugh lol.

Here is how I believe it works:
• The exposure (overall light levels on the screen) is a post-processing effect. It changes depending on the environment to compensate for what would be too dark or bright. Interior - exposure goes up, outside - exposure goes down.
• When you enter a building, exposure goes up, it is great, because the dark corners are lighter.
• When you are in the open, exposure goes down, because you don't want super bright sky and sun.

When it goes wrong:
• When you are inside a building, and looking at the sky, the exposure is still up because the game registers you in the building, so the sky is superbright.
• When you are outside, looking into the building, the exposure is down because you are standing outside the building, so the interior is dark.

It is supposed to simulate real eyes, which dilate allowing more or less light to enter the eye. It is true that depending how DICE implemented it, it might require significant work to fix it because the lightning was balanced for this effect, but it is a post-processing effect.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I'm pretty much over the new map. It isn't designed well in its current state. Sure, it's nice looking, but that is it. Well, I'm done for the next two weeks until the new smg comes out.

OP
OP

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
One of today's daily assignments is to play Frontlines, but they removed the Frontlines playlist.

Chef's kiss, DICE, c'est magnifique!
working as intended
I'm neutral on the map, because of the open lines of sight and therefore there are far too many snipers. It's very difficult to move out of cover. On the other hand, it's the prettiest map.
thats how I feel as well. Frankly disappointed in the size. The trailer gave off a much larger map. But in the end it's pretty small.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Wonder if the trophy/achievement you get for capturing 10 flags in Frontlines is still obtainable. I got all trophies ages ago, so personally I'm good, but I would be super salty if I just got the game.
It would be such a DICE thing to do......

giphy.gif

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

I assume this will be for Grand Operations or Breakthrough, not Conquest.

I'm okay with Mercury. It doesn't embody what I love about and want from the best of Battlefield, as it's too chaotic for that, but it's basically the Battlefield V equivalent of Achi Baba, a map I enjoyed enough in Battlefield 1. Mercury takes the Battlefield V approach of nullifying all infantry-only maps and fills it full of tanks and air, but only the latter seems to be sometimes intrusive (which can be said for air on any small map).

I'm always going to prefer maps that balance scale with pacing, with a sense of reward working towards and capturing points, with decent sense of spacing between points. Like Achi Baba, Mercury does flow well enough between capture points, it just doesn't have the spaced pacing of something like Panzerstorm. Which again is just like Achi Baba, where there's no downtime and the space between capture points is always heavily conflicted in of themselves.

I don't straight up hate it yet though so that's a good sign.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
So i guess you cant earn those eltie skins just by playing/challanges? If true im dissapointed...

Havent played for a while.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
Started up BFV again after a 4 month hiatus. Thought I would be rusty, but nope. Still got it. I see the quality in squadmates still hasnt changed. LOL

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to like Mercury, but from the moment of every spawn I am at constant unease that i'm about to be shot from some angle and distance I can't anticipate. I just.. can't.

I also can't believe defenders in Breakthrough have a clean line of sight on the attacker spawn in the airfield. It's absurd.

Last edited:

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to like Mercury, but from the moment of every spawn I am at constant unease that i'm about to be shot from some angle and distance I can't anticipate. I just.. can't.

I also can't believe defenders have a clean line of sight on the attacker spawn in the airfield. It's absurd.

I find advancing up the flank closest to the mountains gives you a good view of your playing a gun with a bit more range.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
yes the left path close to mountains is your best chance for A and push to B. The airfield is sniper alley and your chances to survive are close to 0. The right path on the beach is also easy to defend from B and as an attacker the need to climb to take the position makes it very difficult to take the flag.

I had 8 matches in a row (on the same server) on merkur, and the 4 breakthrough I had were ALL as attacker (seriously Dice ???) and we lost ALL of them.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
yes the left path close to mountains is your best chance for A and push to B. The airfield is sniper alley and your chances to survive are close to 0. The right path on the beach is also easy to defend from B and as an attacker the need to climb to take the position makes it very difficult to take the flag.

I had 8 matches in a row (on the same server) on merkur, and the 4 breakthrough I had were ALL as attacker (seriously Dice ???) and we lost ALL of them.
That's odd.

I think I've had more wins as Attacker in Breakthrough on this map than I've had losses. At least it feels that way. I could be completely wrong.

Also, the beach is ignored almost all the time so it's normally the go to route to take B, at least in the games I've played of it. Maybe we just had bad teams.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
The map is fine, but it needs tweaking. I've had a lot of fun playing on it. Although I haven't had that problem, having pre existing cover on C would be ideal

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017

The game just switches teams every other round, since its just Conquest and Breakthrough it means every other round you will always be on the same side.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Mercury has some MASSIVE choke points. Point C can be a bitch to take over. Being up on the hill gives it some outstanding sight lines. You can camp with a MG 42 and just mow people down.

00lsen

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I don't care about that level cap raise. I have 100k company coins and I don't spend them on anything but leveling guns. All the skins are so uninteresting.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
What are ya'll hoping for and expecting from E3's info drop?

until a sniper shoots you in the face 2 seconds after you open up

The Battlefield V problem. I said it ages ago but my two main issues with most of the maps is the flat topographical layouts, and the dense distribution of capture points. The former causes the issue of many areas of the map being prone to very long range gunfire from all directions, and the latter breaks a sense of flow and accomplishment between capture and the defence. Battlefield V doesn't do enough interesting with vertical terrain, larger cover, and complex layouts that help break up engagements and obscure capture points and player movement so you're not getting shot from miles away every side.

Funnily enough, I find the lower three flag run in Mercury is a good example of this mostly working. As open as the map is the north side feels nicely separated from the west high ground, with a lot of enemy there kept busy by fights over those flags. It's a chaotic map to be sure, but the north side feels like it offers adequate cover to keep moving. West side...not so much.

But yeah, Battlefield V's map design has a big issue with far reaching line of sight from early capture points transforming maps into a sniper riddled hellhole. Funnily enough Panzerstorm, despite being equally flat, manages to circumnavigate the issue by having large stretches of topography that make long range sniping between capture points fundamentally more difficult.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
Started up BFV again after a 4 month hiatus. Thought I would be rusty, but nope. Still got it. I see the quality in squadmates still hasnt changed. LOL
Some things will never change
What are ya'll hoping for and expecting from E3's info drop?
Well I hope for some things. Pacific Trailer, incl. new fractions. That 5vs5 mode, new map and an updated version of the roadmap. Hope DICE is planning few more maps for this year.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Just came across this:

What if we get a surprise "...and it's playable now..." Battle of Midway map during EA Play? Fits perfectly in the timeline and would be a nice appetizer for the pacific content later this year.

There's a one in a billion chance of it happening, but one can dream....

Status
Not open for further replies.