• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
The very fast TTD and the reduction in spotting seems to have dramatically raised the skill floor, lots of players just seem lost. A decent chunk of the community have always valued a static turkey shoot over actually winning, the assignments have surely made that worse too.

Reducing the ammo always seemed like a pretty obvious change, having resupply stations everywhere then makes it almost completely pointless. The buzz about their being more teamwork because of attrition just seems like empty hype to get a good reception on Reddit. I think the same can be said about the idea of this being more tactical than previous entries.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Was having a problem with the standard German tank (not tiger), and realised the issue; the third person crosshair is almost a foot higher than the first person actual crosshair. Hence why so many shots miss.

Reducing the ammo always seemed like a pretty obvious change, having resupply stations everywhere then makes it almost completely pointless. The buzz about their being more teamwork because of attrition just seems like empty hype to get a good reception on Reddit. I think the same can be said about the idea of this being more tactical than previous entries.

They back peddled on attrition though, which was part of the problem. Alpha build ammo was much, much less than beta and release builds. I gave the alpha a good workout and found myself frequently having to rely on support to restock, and pace myself with shooting to ensure I wasn't pissing away shots.

People moaned and groaned and DICE essentially made the whole attrition thing utterly redundant.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

The Alpha was pretty interesting. They just went back on most of it and turned it straight back into a MW2 sprint and spray fest though.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
The Alpha was pretty interesting. They just went back on most of it and turned it straight back into a MW2 sprint and spray fest though.
The fast TTK dramatically increases the importance of map knowledge, so people were probably playing cautiously in the alpha, but not yet at the completely static or killing the static players style that's developed. It's a different group of players as well.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Players are just afraid to move now because you can't see shit and they know they'll be instagib. That's why everyone is just hiding in the bushes with their MMGs. They honestly should get rid of deaths on the scoreboard. Just have score and kills. There is no reason to have your deaths on there. You can view it post game if you want, but having it in-match isn't helpful. Out of all the BF this is by far the most static. Even when the bush wookies were around it wasn't this bad.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I am BEGGING you Dice pls, have some sort of auto team balance for your game between rounds. How can a 2019 MP game not have this?
And after finally playing Marita its an ok infantry map but visibility of enemies between foliage, dirt, sunset light etc is hot garbage.

Fun for now but dunno if it'll hold as a map long term.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The fast TTK dramatically increases the importance of map knowledge, so people were probably playing cautiously in the alpha, but not yet at the completely static or killing the static players style that's developed. It's a different group of players as well.

If you can't run and gun, the logical answer is to just camp in cover, especially with no 3D spotting. You might get mowed down by a coordinated squad but you might get a few 'kills' in before you go down.

I don't even know why DICE counts deaths anymore. It seems counter to what Battlefield is going for. Reviving has always been about map position and momentum, not necessarily saving tickets.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Players are just afraid to move now because you can't see shit and they know they'll be instagib. That's why everyone is just hiding in the bushes with their MMGs. They honestly should get rid of deaths on the scoreboard. Just have score and kills. There is no reason to have your deaths on there. You can view it post game if you want, but having it in-match isn't helpful. Out of all the BF this is by far the most static. Even when the bush wookies were around it wasn't this bad.

Even without deaths on scoreboard people would still play like this as it wouldn't fix fundamental issue with visibility design. Game is extremely busy and noisy constantly hence visibility is very bad at all times. People want stay alive and get some kills so static play is best play for many.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Also being able to prone on your back has caused more issues than it helped. You can go prone is some weird ass angles and nobody is going to see. Also there is just the problem of bodies. It's still difficult to tell the difference between a prone player and a dead or down player. Just today on Marita I proned in a corner with a body on me. I got six kills in a row before they found me. It was ridiculous, they were looking around and couldn't see me.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Also being able to prone on your back has caused more issues than it helped. You can go prone is some weird ass angles and nobody is going to see. Also there is just the problem of bodies. It's still difficult to tell the difference between a prone player and a dead or down player. Just today on Marita I proned in a corner with a body on me. I got six kills in a row before they found me. It was ridiculous, they were looking around and couldn't see me.

They did add spotlight to every player to highlight them more, but weirdly enough spotlight doesn't have toggle. It stays on even on bodies so a lots of bodies look like alive players while pop out from environment like crazy at times.

Visibility and readability of environment and active situations is hot garbo in BFV. Clutter, noise, color gradient filters (e.g. devastation has blue filter on everything), metric shit ton of particle effect, constant screen shakes etc.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
They did add spotlight to every player to highlight them more, but weirdly enough spotlight doesn't have toggle. It stays on even on bodies so a lots of bodies look like alive players while pop out from environment like crazy at times.

Visibility and readability of environment and active situations is hot garbo in BFV. Clutter, noise, color gradient filters (e.g. devastation has blue filter on everything), metric shit ton of particle effect, constant screen shakes etc.

Yeah, it just sucks. This is the only BF I had this issue with. I'm not even talking about 3D spotting, you could easily still see people without that.

What drives me crazy, I'll go reddit and players will act like visibility is fine. Oh, you just need to play smarter or some other lame ass excuse. No, the visibility is just trash in this game.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think they should remove kills and deaths in the game..just show score.

Jackfrags seems like an awesome dude but even he will comment "ok that was a 41 and 10 game, not bad"

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Just caught up with all the CoD news and DICE really, really need to make the Pacific content something special, because CoD is really going to eat it's lunch if it isn't.
Never was a fan of CoD, but the changes they're implementing look really good.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
I still don't get why we don't have a scoreboard looking closer to something like this :
x8un8y38pyl11.png
I like this

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Partially because nobody seems to understand the concept of back capping.
To be fair, it's not like the map is designed in a way which makes it a remotely easy strategy, at best there is :
If the Germans hold C, they will randomly spawn just outside of E and F on the other side of the mountain from C. The reason given by the map designer on reddit was that this is so rounds don't get stale.
Having to depend on a random spawn which magicaly put you on the ennemies back so you can either flank them or backcap them, is such a huge admission that the map design is bad, it's mind blowing.
For the allies side there is also this option :
For all intents and purposes the middle of the map is probably worst than metro was when it comes to chokepoint. In a way I'm not surprised they used that spawn solution as a way to circumvent the problem, given the way the map is designed, I really see no easy way to add flanking space to the middle of the map withouth needing huge rework, except maybe some tunnel.
It's a problem which should have been found when the was map only at the grey box stage so we wouldn't have to depend on a band aid solution like that stupid ass spawn on C.
The community sometimes find/makes so really good suggestion, sadly it often fall on deaf ears.
Speaking of QoL I still find crazy that we still don't have any way to make the compass freaking usable by having bigger it at the top center of the screen or something, at least as a toggle option. Some of us have been asking this at least since the beta. Their inability to improve their ping system based on what Apex teached us makes it all the more important ( ffs EA, both game/studio are under your wings, competition shouldn't be learning & implementing those things faster than they do ) .

Last edited:

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
After seen the Jackfrags videos about Modern Warfare, DICE and EA's situation will be problematic. Activision tries the right thing with getting all those "lost" Battlefield players into the new Modern Warfare with more realism, tactic and wide open maps.
Yeah, next Battlefield needs to be something huge.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
Get rid of kills, too

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
People have asked for the K/D to be removed again for years, I think it would need too much of design change to happen now. The assignments are massively kill based as well. The whole game is built around getting players to grind away in return for meaningless cosmetics or ranks, I really think they've looked at the numbers and worked out that this keeps more people playing than having the game be balanced, objective focused and fun.

The COD hype seems huge this year, but I'm really wary of getting over excited about it. I'm sure it will sell well just on the graphics overhaul and the cross platform play, but BFV shows how difficult it is to get large modes to work now.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Good old reliable Saturday night Battlefield V with zero team balance. GG DICE NO RE

EDIT: Extra special big thumbs up to the tank player aimbotting and not even trying to hide it.

Is a year too late for a refund?

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Former DICE Global Brand Manager

Hopefully they do step it up. If the next BF turns out like BF V, the series is probably going to be hurting bad.

The hitscan netcode is the reason i haven't bought a CoD game in a long time, now they gonna be like BF, with bullets and realistic gun recoil, might be the next FPS i buy, need reviews first, how's the netcode? PC performance, etc.....

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
You can't get more than 8k ToW XP / match, can you?

Edit: DICE come the fuck on already, is it really that hard nerf airplane dropped thermonuclear warheads and make AA effective against something else than just infantry?

Last edited:

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
I'm real tempted to buy Call of Duty this year. I haven't bought a CoD title in years and I have been exclusively Dice for a long time. This might break my streak

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Do melee weapons not instakill people using a bipod from behind? Was a combat medic at the time too.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I stopped trying to melee players. There have been a number of instances I've been right behind someone and it doesn't OHK then they just turn around and own me. We were both moving, so I guess the game thinks I hit their side or something. Either way, the shit isn't worth it.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I stopped trying to melee players. There have been a number of instances I've been right behind someone and it doesn't OHK then they just turn around and own me. We were both moving, so I guess the game thinks I hit their side or something. Either way, the shit isn't worth it.

I think there is also some desync constantly between clients like show by those magic shots where your client has you dying to one shot to chest where enemy just mag dumped 20 rounds into you at their end. So it's possible that player you were trying to stab to back already had started to turn so server read that as e.g. stab to side.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when it was super satisfying and a big deal to melee someone and get their dog tags back in BFBC2.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Dog tags in this game aren't good. They might as well remove them. Uninspired, small, and showing no real significant accomplishment.

We went from this:

BF3_tags1.jpg

to this

rg41cg9n9n721.jpg

Just another problem with this game. I'm tired.

Last edited:

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
After seen the Jackfrags videos about Modern Warfare, DICE and EA's situation will be problematic. Activision tries the right thing with getting all those "lost" Battlefield players into the new Modern Warfare with more realism, tactic and wide open maps.
Yeah, next Battlefield needs to be something huge.

That's why BFV Is in this situation, people Just keep talking about "the next one", and DICE Is probably on it leaving BFV to die.

This game should have stayed true to it's original visión. The community complaints on attrition, EA's managment and DICE decisions took it where it Is now.

Ironchimp

Dec 16, 2017
Is battlefield 1 still popular on PC i tried playing BFV and i found the map design awful.. its like a different developer created the maps.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
That's why BFV Is in this situation, people Just keep talking about "the next one", and DICE Is probably on it leaving BFV to die.

This game should have stayed true to it's original visión. The community complaints on attrition, EA's managment and DICE decisions took it where it Is now.

Even if attrition was kept as it was in Alpha or with that minor tweak moving into Beta game still would have a lot fundamental design issues because of half-realized things. Those core issues did and to some extent still do play part in game having poor player retention and that was after attrition was neutered.

What else of original vision was scrapped or changed drastically? Cosmetic design? That change should have made BFV big success as large part of community was against original art direction.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Is battlefield 1 still popular on PC i tried playing BFV and i found the map design awful.. its like a different developer created the maps.

According BF1Stats game has atm ~5k players on PC with 8k peak. BF4 is more popular than that, ~8k currently.

PC community has stuck well with BF 3 and 4.

Edit: accidental double, ffs me

Ironchimp

Dec 16, 2017
According BF1Stats game has atm ~5k players on PC with 8k peak. BF4 is more popular than that, ~8k currently.

PC community has stuck well with BF 3 and 4.

Edit: accidental double, ffs me

Thanks glad to see BF1 still popular i enjoy it on my PS4 pro, I have new PC to build next week looking forward going back to gaming on the PC

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Im pretty done with this setting. Only a Single player game would do. Ready for a modern BF honestly, especially with all the improvements of BFV's gunplay and the improvements to the spotting.

This game feels like its really unrecoverable, even with the Pacific content coming. Feels like "it will recover like BF4" doesn't apply when BF4 seemed to have a lot to keep players reasonably happy but the way this game does everything is so bizarre and annoying to deal with.

Also, Im just really tired with BF's lack of team improvements. Games like Apex and Siege and OW all have mechanics that make their team abilities fun. I loathe BF players because they absolutely suck at healing, giving ammo, etc.

Also the UI elements, which make Firestorm a particular chore. So many longstanding franchise issues that I dont care to deal with. I feel like COD's new 20v20 and 100 player modes are going to scratch my BF itch just fine.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY

Tbh I would be happy if this game stays till 2021. They just need to focus more. There are still so many things missing. So much needs to be balanced.
I'd prefer a Battlefronz 3 by the end of next year / start of next gen

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Even if attrition was kept as it was in Alpha or with that minor tweak moving into Beta game still would have a lot fundamental design issues because of half-realized things. Those core issues did and to some extent still do play part in game having poor player retention and that was after attrition was neutered.

What else of original vision was scrapped or changed drastically? Cosmetic design? That change should have made BFV big success as large part of community was against original art direction.

Besides pulling the plug on the "unknown of WW2" once the pacific arrives, there were the combat specialization that was far deeper than what we have now. Lack of attrition has a lot to do with how the game shifted the rhythm without the rest of the elements like map design being changed. It's similar to that awful ttd change they did. It was a way to Carter to the run and gun crew. Remember that attrition also has to do with the ammo Crate placement and such mechanics impact also how frequent points have to be revisited, how camping works, etc.

Tbh I would be happy if this game stays till 2021. They just need to focus more. There are still so many things missing. So much needs to be balanced.
I'd prefer a Battlefronz 3 by the end of next year / start of next gen

Me too. We don't know if the game has the resources to pull a BF4, but I don't want another bf next year

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I'm having fun with it but it's starving for content. We're going to the Pacific but we still only have the British and German armies? We need more armies, more guns, more maps, more grand ops.

Skwuruhl

Aug 3, 2019
I'm having fun with it but it's starving for content. We're going to the Pacific but we still only have the British and German armies? We need more armies, more guns, more maps, more grand ops.
For real, previous games launched with 1 more map than bfv did and got way more added by now. Like less maps is expected since there's no premium but currently (~11 months after release) the game has 16 maps (8 vanilla), 2 of which are 5v5 only and 5 of which were just added in June. BF1 on the other hand launched with 9, added a 10th for free, then added 16 more in DLC for a total of 26 maps.

All this and the game is launch BF4 levels of buggy. The live service "content paid for with micro transactions" model is pretty awful content wise.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
You gotta think economically. On paper, DICE/EA going to free live service updates was possibly going to shift the resources otherwise spent on paid expansion packs away, or more precisely have the supporting manpower dependant on revenue of digital content like other live service games. Unfortunately Battlefield V fucked up on basically the three most important fronts to sustain this; 1. paid content available at or close to launch, 2. paid content integrated seamlessly and appealingly, and 3. game stability and popularity to support investing in said paid content.

Instead what we got was;
- None of the microtransaction content at launch, instead arriving months later
- Seriously bugging game at launch, diverting resources to resolve issues, many of which remain in the game, some of which patched in and made worse
- Arguably low player retention and clumsy, uninspired storefront, both of which disincentivising microtransactions

DICE has spent most of their time trying to fix a game that clearly needed at least 12 more months in the cooker. EA/DICE have pushed for a microtransaction storefront and content supply that doesn't break the game, but isn't appealing or interesting and at best still clumsy to navigate. And this is all wrapped around a game that has potentially failed at player retention versus its predecessors, continues to present technical and design issues further diverting development manpower and costs, and continues to cultivate a mixed-to-negative reception amongst its audiences (of note here being the major streamers).

The fuckups are irreversible, and the damage has been done. Battlefield V will never be remembered as fondly as predecessors precisely because of its maddeningly messy first 12 months of existence. What does matter is the future, and how much of the current situation can be salvaged, when, and perhaps more importantly and concerning just how much effort and money EA/DICE wish to put in.

Consider all of the above, and the problem now is how many people continue to work on Battlefield V, in what capacity, with what content, and for how much longer? All the while EA/DICE are certainly taking this experience to the board room and restrategising for what they do next time, and whether resources should be taken away from Battlefield V's post launch support to assist with whatever is coming next.

If I had to hazard a guess, I suspect there will be a decently sizable content drop via the Pacific update, if not immediately then over that month's Tides of War. And by that I mean less drip fed than what we've got, and instead a good bulk of content; American and Japanese factions, new gear and vehicles for both, and an assortment of maps across various fronts. It'll be the closest we'll get, even if it's stretched out over a month, to a traditional update.

We'll get one last update towards the tail end of Battlefield V's life, being the Eastern Front. It'll be theoretically less substantial than the Pacific Front, as only the Soviets and their associated weapons/gear/vehicles will be added, with a lot of German content recycled alongside smaller additions.

And that'll be it. God knows how stable the game will be by then, what bugs will have finally been squashed, which will be added, what areas of the design have been overhauled, etc etc.

Invisibility bug is still in the game, by the way. Nowhere near as frequent or frustrating, but it's absolutely still there.Was shooting at a guy that was nothing but heads and arms today. Still seems like an issue related directly to the level of detail scaling on player models, and backend engine optimisation on how it handles this data.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

DICE went on vacation all of July. If we don't see significant communication in the next few weeks, they've abandoned the game officially and are on other projects. They'll drop the promised Pacific content and that will be it.

There is a real opportunity to make this another BF1943 for the next console generation to hold people over until a likely 2021 Bad Company game. Could be stupid profitable too if they put enough cosmetics in the store.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
DICE went on vacation all of July. If we don't see significant communication in the next few weeks, they've abandoned the game officially and are on other projects. They'll drop the promised Pacific content and that will be it.

There is a real opportunity to make this another BF1943 for the next console generation to hold people over until a likely 2021 Bad Company game. Could be stupid profitable too if they put enough cosmetics in the store.
I'd rather go back to the $50 premium model tbh. at least we had a complete game (sooner or later)

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather go back to the $50 premium model tbh. at least we had a complete game (sooner or later)

They should offer a milder version that doesn't divide the community. A season pass of sorts. It could even just be an upgrade to Origin Access.

I really don't miss the incentive to release OP DLC guns.

If you had two BF games at the same time, each appealing to a certain crowd, you could sell things like queue priority, XP boosts, armory discounts, special assignments etc... rather than maps and weapons.

Quick question for my PC BFV gamers here, what is your performance like with a 1070 at 1440p? I've seen tons of benchmarks getting around 70 on Ultra, mind you currently I can't even hit a stable 60fps on medium settings. Every time I join a game, I instantly see the orange boxes indicating low fps. Not sure if I'm expecting too much out of my 1070 or if I'm actually being capped by some invisible factor.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question for my PC BFV gamers here, what is your performance like with a 1070 at 1440p? I've seen tons of benchmarks getting around 70 on Ultra, mind you currently I can't even hit a stable 60fps on medium settings. Every time I join a game, I instantly see the orange boxes indicating low fps. Not sure if I'm expecting too much out of my 1070 or if I'm actually being capped by some invisible factor.

What's your CPU? Might be the limiting factor. Future frame rendering also needs to be on if you want decent FPS in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.