• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach85

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I guess this is the best place for this. It's going to be a long one so feel free to skip. I touch on my history with the Battlefield franchise, my experience with BFV, and where we go from here. I would love to hear ERAs take on these thoughts.

I've been playing the BF series (PC only) since 1942. In fact, a friend and I even used to fuck around playing Codename Eagle way back. BF has always been a favorite series of mine. Even if a lot of the changes over the years I haven't always been a fan of. Usually, when DICE takes something away they give us another cool new system at least.

For instance, we lost the amazing co-ordinated artillery from 42 and Vietnam when we moved onto BF2. We gained the squad system though, which was a cool upgrade. Then it felt for a long time like we were just going through iterations of BF2. BFBC 2, BF3, BF4, all the same style of modern warfare stuff. Each game was awesome, but BF1 felt like a breath of fresh air. Returning to vintage guns made me really want a new WW2 BF with all the new technology available today.

Suppose I got my wish, but this BF has been handled in the most hamfisted way ever. Even as a die-hard, I'm finding it hard to justify picking up the next release in the series. The state of BFV, and its ever game-breaking patches, combined with the proliferation of cheaters is sad. Worse yet, DICE seems fine leaving these issues in when they arise for FAR too long. No hotfix for invisible players? I enjoy flying and often outfit my plane with the spycam. It broke after 4.2, and only was fixed with the latest patch. This wasn't touched on in the patch notes! (Maybe I missed it?) The only way I knew it was working was by testing it myself.

I agree with a lot of the takes on here saying the community doesn't care about pretty guns and dumb paid skins. I want maps and vehicles. I never had a problem paying for premium in the past, and for the most part, updates were delivered on time. Hotfixes actually existed. When I see someone with a paid skin online, it's actually depressing. It feels like the community is rewarding DICE for their completely lackluster support. They have time to draft up these models and animations with the art team, but can't shift budget to fix the bevy of broken things in a more timely matter? As a longtime fan, it's frustrating to see and shows how much they care about us after they got our money.

The largest problem with BF today is as stated earlier, pulling it way too many directions. I hope we see a back to basics BF that isn't rushed next release. I certainly won't be getting this title day one which is a first for me and will watch closely to see how the game is received. My biggest fear with BFV is EA will look at the problem being that it was not a modern battlefield and they no longer choose to ever revisit WWII.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I was far too optimistic when I said 5+ ppl queue. The advanced search find ~14 european conquest server, they all range from 7 to 10 ppl in queue, I never saw that since the game release, regardless of Tow making ppl play other game modes or anything like that.

Still took the queue, got a good squad of random which played the objectives, yay, an amazingly close match, yay, 151 ticket vs 153 ticket, a good back and forth, annnnnnd black screen connexion lost server died.

I also encountered my first invisble leg soldier since the previous body+leg fixe.
1567628322-half-predator.png

I want to like this new patch, but they are not making it easy for me.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I have no idea how that came out like that lol. I hope I didn't have a stroke.

"maybe they will actually move around and not just hide in bushes"

Typically TDM is an absolute campfest compared to other modes. Barely anyone moves around the map compared to other modes. Hopefully an influx of players from other modes fixes that temporarily.

My TDM experience is totally different lol
Sure, there are campers, but no more or less than other modes.
And on most of the maps, TDM is almost devoid of camping snipers, unlike Conquest.

BPK

Oct 27, 2017
The largest problem with BF today is as stated earlier, pulling it way too many directions. I hope we see a back to basics BF that isn't rushed next release. I certainly won't be getting this title day one which is a first for me and will watch closely to see how the game is received. My biggest fear with BFV is EA will look at the problem being that it was not a modern battlefield and they no longer choose to ever revisit WWII.

Good post, particularly the bolded point. Since Bad Company 2, I have bought every Battlefield on release. That's how much faith I had in the series. After V, I won't be doing so. Like you, I'll wait and see. This is the most disappointed I've ever been by a Battlefield game.

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My TDM experience is totally different lol
Sure, there are campers, but no more or less than other modes.
And on most of the maps, TDM is almost devoid of camping snipers, unlike Conquest.
Yeah quite the different experience it seems. Maybe this is specific to late night on USEast servers when I play, I dunno. Nearly everyone just finds the nearest hiding spot from wherever they spawn and camps. Bushes, corners, buildings, wherever. Whole lotta camping in really random places! It's a fun mode when people move around the map but it gets boring fast when I have to run from spawn to spawn with my friends just to find people.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The little animation on the ammo boxes is the type of touch I expect from a finished, polished product. It's clear BFV just came out a year too early. I sincerely hope they stick with it and give it the content it needs to stand up on its own. They should really relaunch it as Battlefield 1945 with some Eastern Front stuff for the new consoles. F2P and/or Origin Access.

This latest patch injected some new life into the game. A dozen more of them and you have something.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This might seem insignificant, but it bothers me. It has to do with ranks. For the majority of BF, the ranks have been based on the real thing. Generally, it's US military and they go from Private to Colonel. Sometimes they'll go pass Colonel depending on the rank cap. For instance:

Ranks-USMC.jpg

Bf4_ranks_fixed.png

BF V ranks don't exist. They aren't based off any military that I know of. It's weird to see random lines and chevrons as ranks. Like what are these?

BFVranks.jpg

Also the dog tags for them are just bad.

zFEK0NSEiuU4l1mW703PyO558cdHqlNXoVe3p3rhaRI.jpg

Compared to these:

v8Okh12.jpg

or this:

The dog tags for this game are just poor in general, but the rank ones are worse because the amount of time you have to put in to get them. It seems like there was no research at all with the emblems. How did we go from real ranks to some made up stuff that doesn't make any sense. I'm glad they increased the rank cap, but it seems like a rush job. I'm hoping they at least tie some type of cosmetics to the later ranks once players start to get closer. CC and some poor looking dog tags aren't good rewards for players that pour hundreds if not thousands of hours into the game.

Yeah, like I said before, this is probably a non-issue for most players. However, for me, it just shows a huge drop in quality compared to previous titles.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm tired of the command rose, they just need to come up with a better system. Trying to call in the arty strike, but it just won't work. There is no orange dot where it lands and I die. Squadmate revives me and I try again, somehow I call in a smoke barrage.

Just make it simple. Open up your map and call it in like that.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I'm tired of the command rose, they just need to come up with a better system. Trying to call in the arty strike, but it just won't work. There is no orange dot where it lands and I die. Squadmate revives me and I try again, somehow I call in a smoke barrage.

Do not get me started on the squad leader commo rose bullshit. It's so fucking inconsistent and fundamentally broken.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

The main problem i see with the command rose is that it doesn't tell you wich strikes are available. Like we all know there's a hard cap on how many artillery and JB-2 can happen at a moment in time but it never tells you if it's available or not nor how much time you should wait. And thus, you end up spamming until it's available and it's a problem.

As for using the map for it. I don't even know how to open the map on PC. I only see the map when i die and choose where to respawn. I don't have any use for it. The only time i tried to open it was when i tried Firestorm but never found how. And since i have no intention to ever play this mode again, there's no point.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Temporyal post, some good stuff coming.

Week 1

Reward:
Jungle Carbine / Lee Enfield No. 5 (Bolt-Action Carbine / Medic)

g7ekj82viqk31.jpg

"A shortened version of the ubiquitous Lee Enfield No. 4, this carbine was originally developed for use by paratroopers requiring a compact weapon. It was in wartime service for decades after World War II and variants of the design see civilian use to this day." (Ingame)

Week 2

Reward unknown.

Week 3

mhuh68ogmqk31.jpg

Reward: Dutch Madsen / Madsen Mini (LMG / Support)

"The Madsen machine gun saw service in both world wars, having been the first light machine gun in the world when introduced in 1902. A particularly compact variant of the weapon was used by Dutch colonial forces in the inter-war period." (Ingame)

Week 4

Reward:
Fliegerfaust (Gadget / probably Assault)

e9pvvhhimqk31.jpg

"A German prototype man-portable anti-aircraft launcher. Fires two salvos of unguided rockets." (Ingame)

Some frankenstein skin, lol.

lu60vd6zmqk31.jpg

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The main problem i see with the command rose is that it doesn't tell you wich strikes are available. Like we all know there's a hard cap on how many artillery and JB-2 can happen at a moment in time but it never tells you if it's available or not nor how much time you should wait. And thus, you end up spamming until it's available and it's a problem.

As for using the map for it. I don't even know how to open the map on PC. I only see the map when i die and choose where to respawn. I don't have any use for it. The only time i tried to open it was when i tried Firestorm but never found how. And since i have no intention to ever play this mode again, there's no point.

You literally just press M to open up the map, it's also transparent. I use it all the time when I fly to see where I need to bomb. I also use it as squad leader.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
You literally just press M to open up the map, it's also transparent. I use it all the time when I fly to see where I need to bomb. I also use it as squad leader.

We'll, if it's indeed M on french keyboards, that would explain why i never found it. It's like at the opposite side of the keyboard. :p

terrible

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The series has needed a tutorial like that for ages. Doesn't take very long to notice a large amount of players have no idea what they are doing lol. The tutorial should probably pop up the first time anyone tries playing CQ with the option to skip it of course. Burying it in the menus won't really help much I don't think.

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017
after months out of the game,back today but didn't even finish the match lol

i tried a lot to like this game but i can't, i'm done. 3x meta pisses me off, 1x shot kill still happens after all this months. the non immersion is a let down compared to Battlefield 1..

and idk if its just me but i don't like a single map of this game. and yet about maps, they didn't learn with the long dates of dlc releases from BF1. great.

going to stick with BF1 till the new edition. just hope they don't fucked up the next one and learn from the mess they did with this edition.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Good old cheaters. They were squaded up and just headshotting everyone. The next game I spectated it and it was blatantly obvious. High sensitivity and locking on to players. The cheating is so bad, they just bring along their cheating friends. lol

cheaters.png

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I really don't see the point of the Panzerbüchse 39. It's just like the Boys, but with very slight differences. It says it's 10 round mag, but it's a box mag. So you have to insert and chamber new round each time. So the 10 round mag doesn't mean anything. If you like the Boys, I guess you'll like this. I can't wait for this week to just be getting OHK all the time.

We finally get a new weapon and it's just a copy paste of an annoying weapon.

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't see the point of the Panzerbüchse 39. It's just like the Boys, but with very slight differences. It says it's 10 round mag, but it's a box mag. So you have to insert and chamber new round each time. So the 10 round mag doesn't mean anything. If you like the Boys, I guess you'll like this. I can't wait for this week to just be getting OHK all the time.

We finally get a new weapon and it's just a copy paste of an annoying weapon.

I liked the Boys. It's the only weapon that allows you to play like an actual sniper without the need to do perfect headshots everytime and you can damage vehicles on top. Too bad the maps are totally not suited for it for the most part.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's fine that players like the anti-materiel rifles, however, my point is there's little point in having another one. The Panzerbüchse 39 doesn't do anything noticeably different than the Boys. They could have done something to make them stand out from each other. Right now, it's pretty much just a skin change.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
It's fine that players like the anti-materiel rifles, however, my point is there's little point in having another one. The Panzerbüchse 39 doesn't do anything noticeably different than the Boys. They could have done something to make them stand out from each other. Right now, it's pretty much just a skin change.

I think the Panzerbusche is supposed to do a bit more damage to vehicles. Not than anyone will ever use it on them anyway.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I think the Panzerbusche is supposed to do a bit more damage to vehicles. Not than anyone will ever use it on them anyway.

The damage against light vehicles is ok. For heavier vehicles, it's good for interrupting repairs.

I still think these should be gadgets and increase the damage against vehicles. Maybe not increased damage, but make them have a higher chance of disabling vehicles than other AT options.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
The damage against light vehicles is ok. For heavier vehicles, it's good for interrupting repairs.

I still think these should be gadgets and increase the damage against vehicles. Maybe not increased damage, but make them have a higher chance of disabling vehicles than other AT options.
When we first heard about them I really expected a gadget for recon, very good at breaking/disabling vehicle part. Would have been far more interesting gameplay wise imho.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I kind of agree with what Jack said on that video. While the tutorial should have been on launch (as many, MANY, things), them taking time and resources to put a nice tutorial like that gives me a little hope that they are indeed planning for the long run, and won't drop the game dead after the pacific.

Instead of investing time and resources in increasing the TTK to cater new players, they put said time into making that.

I hope they make it more visible for new players though

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I kind of agree with what Jack said on that video. While the tutorial should have been on launch (as many, MANY, things), them taking time and resources to put a nice tutorial like that gives me a little hope that they are indeed planning for the long run, and won't drop the game dead after the pacific.

Instead of investing time and resources in increasing the TTK to cater new players, they put said time into making that.

I hope they make it more visible for new players though

It shows up for new players as soon as they click either Play or Multiplayer, can't remember which one.

OP
OP

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This might seem insignificant, but it bothers me. It has to do with ranks. For the majority of BF, the ranks have been based on the real thing. Generally, it's US military and they go from Private to Colonel. Sometimes they'll go pass Colonel depending on the rank cap. For instance:

Ranks-USMC.jpg

Bf4_ranks_fixed.png

BF V ranks don't exist. They aren't based off any military that I know of. It's weird to see random lines and chevrons as ranks. Like what are these?

BFVranks.jpg

Also the dog tags for them are just bad.

zFEK0NSEiuU4l1mW703PyO558cdHqlNXoVe3p3rhaRI.jpg

Compared to these:

v8Okh12.jpg

or this:

The dog tags for this game are just poor in general, but the rank ones are worse because the amount of time you have to put in to get them. It seems like there was no research at all with the emblems. How did we go from real ranks to some made up stuff that doesn't make any sense. I'm glad they increased the rank cap, but it seems like a rush job. I'm hoping they at least tie some type of cosmetics to the later ranks once players start to get closer. CC and some poor looking dog tags aren't good rewards for players that pour hundreds if not thousands of hours into the game.

Yeah, like I said before, this is probably a non-issue for most players. However, for me, it just shows a huge drop in quality compared to previous titles.
I havent played enough since the latest patch to notice this. But yeah I understand where you are coming from.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Just pushed an update for the round timer when playing Breakthrough: Fortress.

Nothing like doing changes directly in production on a Friday evening at 6pm. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.