• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
xrYUUUhhEbIsk3b8.jpg

Now this is some performance. I'm not bothered though, just want to see real time raytracing.
Why is medium more demanding than ultra haha

Obviously hardly any discrepancy in performance between the profiles anyway

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yes. I would also say that my fps halved with RTX on (2080 ti in 1440p ultra)
On some maps it has more impact than on others.

Here is my reflection on a car. There is also a tank rolling by on the left but hard to see.

raywni7g.png

edit: are there different quality settings for raytracing? I only had a switch for on/off

eh that does not look too good. i dont remember it looking like that at the nvidia event

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Yes. I would also say that my fps halved with RTX on (2080 ti in 1440p ultra)
On some maps it has more impact than on others.

Here is my reflection on a car. There is also a tank rolling by on the left but hard to see.

raywni7g.png

edit: are there different quality settings for raytracing? I only had a switch for on/off
Should be according to Techpowerup.
8VylbQkws3CIEKOv.jpg

How are your FPS at 1440p? These performance numbers seem to me as if there is a DXR "ceiling" which is the max performance you can hit with DXR on but with headroom for increasing the resolution as long as there are enough rasterisation performance available.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Should be according to Techpowerup.

How are your FPS at 1440p? These performance numbers seem to me as if there is a DXR "ceiling" which is the max performance you can hit with DXR on but with headroom for increasing the resolution as long as there are enough rasterisation performance available.

Just checked. Raytracing quality was ultra

I have no overlay to show fps in BFV so I have to guess: 30-45 in rotterdam. around 50 in the yellow open field map (very few reflections there)

That was in 64 player conquest. It might run a lot better in smaller games

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
How much better does it run if you have medium / low game settings and RTX on? All I've seen thus far are people running at ultra settings, which is quite demanding already.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
How much better does it run if you have medium / low game settings and RTX on? All I've seen thus far are people running at ultra settings, which is quite demanding already.

I suppose we need someone...perhaps someone working at some sort of foundry, some sort of digital foundry, to thoroughly test across a matrix of settings and resolutions, to answer that...

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game doesn't directly use any RTX exclusive APIs though, it uses DXR, which is not hardware vendor proprietary (It is Microsoft proprietary).
Nvidia RTX is Nvidias implementation of DXR, which is open. The game only interfaces with DXR. Although seeing as NVIDIA is the only one with DXR-compatible hardware available there are likely optimisations.
You are taking apart my post for the wrong reasons. What I meant is RTX is some of the worst performing tech being pushed by Nvidia compared to their past technologies such as Gameworks, Physx, etc.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would that even be a relevant and logical comparison? You would be making significant sacrifices to overall image quality just to have RTX on.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a bigger performance hit than the Source engine HDR upgrade in the early nougties and the end results are poor to say the least.

Jesus Nvidia.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
On my 2080 with RTX on, on the latest Nvidia drivers, no matter what RTX setting it crashes upon the zoom-in in conquest mode. (have tried 4 times, crashes at the same exact point on the zoom down to the ground every time regardless of map)

I can get to playable sections in single player.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
The guy who wrote the Hardwareluxx article said in the comments that temps and power draw did not increase with the use of RT which makes sense but some people were wondering if it did.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
The performance hit is enormous, but that was to be expected.

I said this back when the RTX line was announced, but this is the first time in a long time that PC GPUs and rendering tech is featuring demanding, emergent technology. A good decade or more ago it wasn't overly uncommon for PC games to, every now and then, have some rendering pipeline or feature that only the most cutting edge hardware would take advantage of and consoles wouldn't touch. That filtered out a bit as consoles and PC tech standardised, with only the odd bolted on tech feature added extra bells and whistles and not usually at too great of a performance cost. PhysX, VXAO, etc are similar examples.

Ray tracing is a big deal though. A huge deal. It's extremely advanced and emergent, and was always going to come at a huge performance cost. It doesn't really matter of Nvidia are leading the charge into this territory and the cards cost a small fortune. The huge performance hit was always going to be there even if the cards are tailored for this stuff. Buying an RTX for ray tracing is admitted to being an early adopter in expensive emergent tech. You literally banked on the most expensive, lowest performing variation of very new tech that'll only get more powerful as time goes by.

I just know the next couple of years are going to be a circus of foolish bewilderment from early RTX adopters who are confused and baffled that ray tracing, surprise surprise, smashes the card performance. What did people expect?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
This time I managed to load into Rotterdam, take a few shots, start up nvidia shadowplay recording, die, and upon trying to respawn... crash

That was with ultra on.

The funny thing about the performance, at 1080p 100% res with DXR Ultra it ran at 60fps sometimes and would just plummet other times. Super hitchy uneven frame delivery. Generally I see that kind of performance in the single player too.

Some scenes (vistas) really crush the RTX performance, on ultra dropping down to around 49 fps, but even when it's running fine and GPU is only 60% taxed it just runs so hitchy. I wonder if it's because of the changes to the BVH as I move around.

As an aside, the visuals really need spectacular occlusion. It's so distracting with RTX on and there's a character in front of you, but the ground is glowing as if the light is bouncing off of it because it's a specular RTX layer and not tracing that glossiness.

Sherlocked

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have an i5 4690. Would that run it well do you think? Also, it runs at ~60fps on Xbox and the cpu there is shit, so you'd think it'd be okay on pc.

The cpu is maybe shit but it has more threads than your 4690. 4 threads are more shitty in that regard. You probably won't be able to hold it above 60fps all the time. But the consoles can't do that either, so...

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have an i5 4690. Would that run it well do you think? Also, it runs at ~60fps on Xbox and the cpu there is shit, so you'd think it'd be okay on pc.

The K version of your cpu with a 970 allows 50-60fps on ultra.

Dropping settings to high should see a good improvement.

You'll definitely get a better looking and performing experience than on consoles. (excl x1x and pro)

Froz3n

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
The performance hit is enormous, but that was to be expected.

I said this back when the RTX line was announced, but this is the first time in a long time that PC GPUs and rendering tech is featuring demanding, emergent technology. A good decade or more ago it wasn't overly uncommon for PC games to, every now and then, have some rendering pipeline or feature that only the most cutting edge hardware would take advantage of and consoles wouldn't touch. That filtered out a bit as consoles and PC tech standardised, with only the odd bolted on tech feature added extra bells and whistles and not usually at too great of a performance cost. PhysX, VXAO, etc are similar examples.

Ray tracing is a big deal though. A huge deal. It's extremely advanced and emergent, and was always going to come at a huge performance cost. It doesn't really matter of Nvidia are leading the charge into this territory and the cards cost a small fortune. The huge performance hit was always going to be there even if the cards are tailored for this stuff. Buying an RTX for ray tracing is admitted to being an early adopter in expensive emergent tech. You literally banked on the most expensive, lowest performing variation of very new tech that'll only get more powerful as time goes by.

I just know the next couple of years are going to be a circus of foolish bewilderment from early RTX adopters who are confused and baffled that ray tracing, surprise surprise, smashes the card performance. What did people expect?

And this isn't even real raytracing. This is raytracing on a select few surface reflections, and the cost is over 50% of your framerate.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
The K version of your cpu with a 970 allows 50-60fps on ultra.

Dropping settings to high should see a good improvement.

You'll definitely get a better looking and performing experience than on consoles. (excl x1x and pro)
Actually I have a K version, but does it need to be overclocked to do what you're saying?

The cpu is maybe shit but it has more threads than your 4690. 4 threads are more shitty in that regard. You probably won't be able to hold it above 60fps all the time. But the consoles can't do that either, so...

That's interesting, I hadn't thought of it that way. A quick question (sorry if it's off-topic): my pc is i5 4690k / 970 / 8gb DDR3 RAM. How does that compare to an Xbox One X in terms of specs. I had thought it was stronger, but perhaps it's not?

Sherlocked

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Actually I have a K version, but does it need to be overclocked to do what you're saying?

That's interesting, I hadn't thought of it that way. A quick question (sorry if it's off-topic): my pc is i5 4690k / 970 / 8gb DDR3 RAM. How does that compare to an Xbox One X in terms of specs. I had thought it was stronger, but perhaps it's not?

The cpu itself is faster but BF MP is heavily optimised towards parallelisation. So it is better to have slower cpu with 8 cores than a very fast one with 4. I've raised my 4560k to 4,5ghz and it died even in BF1 in some situations. An I7 with 8 threads was outperforming me even me even without OC.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Specs:
i7-4790k 4ghz
16gb ram
nvidia 1080

I don't really understand it. DX12 Off, Future Frame Rendering On, Vsync Off, Ultra Preset, 1080p, framerate limiter set to monitor refresh.
The game runs at a solid 60fps (PerfOverlay.DrawFPS), but when under load the game looks very "stuttery" or "choppy".
Its like the game has very uneven frame times or something, because the fps counter stays at a solid 60 even when its a choppy.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I'm going to do a bunch of testing tonight at different RTX quality levels and resolutions. Interested to see how much, if at all, frame-rates are affected running my 2080Ti "stock" (just power and voltage set to max) vs my biggest stable OC profile (core max 2160, memory @ 8100). I'm on the Galax BIOS (card is an EVGA) which provides max 380w power draw (vs 338w stock).

I have a feeling differences won't be noticeable without a FPS counter but we'll see. Long-term there's no way I'm playing BFV on 1080p but I'm also ok with not being at my max native (3440x1440) so I'll have to see what combo of res and settings I end up with.

Hojaho

Mar 26, 2018
Specs:
i7-4790k 4ghz
16gb ram
nvidia 1080

I don't really understand it. DX12 Off, Future Frame Rendering On, Vsync Off, Ultra Preset, 1080p, framerate limiter set to monitor refresh.
The game runs at a solid 60fps (PerfOverlay.DrawFPS), but when under load the game looks very "stuttery" or "choppy".
Its like the game has very uneven frame times or something, because the fps counter stays at a solid 60 even when its a choppy.

Looks like your CPU is choking.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Whelp, RTX scaling is basically nonexistent. I'll let these pics speak for themselves:

(this is on my 2080... from those benchmarks above it looks like I could get >60fps on a 2080Ti, but the performance is SO hitchey, I bet 65 avg would feel like 25fps)

Low RTX, 25% scaling:
Battlefield_V_Screenshot_2018.11.14_-_10.18.41.85.png

Ultra DXR, 130% scaling:
Battlefield_V_Screenshot_2018.11.14_-_10.19.11.35.png

With RTX completely off I get no performance problems, although DX12 likes to drop below 60fps for no reason at all. DX11 is beautiful & smooth.

Some scenes really do look a ton better with RTX on. Usually it's around muzzle flare. That's just represented a million times better with RTX. Not super impressed with the effect on a purely visual level when it comes to water and stuff. I think there's still a lot to be done in terms of materials with raytracing interaction.

Also I've seen some limitations of the BVH setup they're using, seeing reflections of fires that are completely obscured by walls, but that's really not a big deal.

Sherlocked

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Specs:
i7-4790k 4ghz
16gb ram
nvidia 1080

It is really smooth for me. Frametime graph is pretty straight with very rare spikes happening. Playing with 8700k@4,8ghz at 1440p with medium settings + gsync. Getting pretty much a solid 100-130fps experience with that. Depending on the situation and map it can go down to 80-90fps but is never really choppy.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I'm noticing Inaccuracies in the reflections. How are Ray traced reflections drawn? Is it an automatic "thing"

DICE gets to choose what items get reflected and where via the design of their BVH implementation (read: algorithmicly, not manually).

I'm no expert though and I really wonder how rasterized materials are interacting with the raytraced effects.

And this isn't even real raytracing. This is raytracing on a select few surface reflections, and the cost is over 50% of your framerate.

It's real raytracing, but to make the calculations manageable they simplify the 'hits' of rays on objects. I don't think that particular optimization will go away for a long, long time.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
Low RTX is the key for RTX@4k.

2080ti (+100 core / + 800 mem) e 7700k @ 4,9ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram.
50hz was used to test gpu usage

4k HDR @ 50hz (single)

4k HDR@ 50hz (multi)

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
This is on ULTRA. I think this is a BVH limitation, although I'm not sure. I know BVH hits on stuff like trees are a bad time altogether, but here the trees are completely not reflected, but the fire behind is.

This is a case where a screenspace reflection is both more accurate and better looking, I'd say.

I wonder if this will be possible for DICE to tune up in their implementation.
Battlefield_V_Screenshot_2018.11.14_-_10.04.27.29.png

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm still on an Origin trial key - is DX12 disabled for trails? Kinda sucks, I thought it was supposed to be the 'full game' for 10 hours? I can play single player but multi says my account doesn't have online access.