• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
If it's abundantly clear in the review that unlocks were shorter than in retail bought copies of the game I can see the justification maybe with short deadlines and embargoes etc but um well it's not a good look overall is it. It's not the game that people buy. No I have talked myself out of the hypothetical scenario I put forth. It's a dirty trick is what it is.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I was already hesitant to pick up the game but have pretty much lost all interest now. If it was 60k to begin with, whatever, but they knew it was shitty and tried to hide it in reviews.

Nov 4, 2017
The Youtubers spreading misinformation unintentionally are going to get a shitstorm of abuse once people find out they've been deceived by them.

What a utter mess of a game.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't the real question then be, were the journalists informed that progression cost/ Hero acquisition cost were tuned down for the event, and if so will they report that on their review?

Not so much the real question, a super valid part of it though. Will be interesting to see who's honest.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think there's a point where, if publishers are giving different versions of games to reviewers, there may even be a legal line being crossed. They need to clarify this immediately, and if they're acting in good faith, that should be an incredibly simple thing to do. Even giving them the benefit of the doubt that this was an accelerated progression for a review event environment, they need to say that, and show official written notice they gave to those reviewers indicating as much. Every single on of those reviews would need to note that in their reviews to corrolate the explanation.

I think even if some review copies were given for assessment while the value was different, and later ones will reflect the launch game, that's a serious accusation.

Last edited:

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this bad? Seriously? This is all overblown and I think this game is going to come out, sell well, and most people are going to like it.

Unlocking a hero shows off a bit more than unlocking a great gun. When you play almost any game online these days, there are unlockables that take a LONG time to get. There are plenty others along the way and they make the journey fun and rewarding. This is accepted as fine.

Heroes in Battlefront are really powerful though, so yes, they should take a long time to unlock. However, reviewers might not have the time to do this, and might not get their hands on them to appreciate their design and how fun they are in order to accurately review the game. So, they lent them some slack so they could see the entire game without sinking hundreds of hours into it.

WHY IS THIS BAD. And why are crates so bad?? From what I understand they aren't doing anything scummy with their crate system that's out of the ordinary for other games. Systems like this help support these AAA titles and are usually optional and don't offer major advantages over those people who choose not to use them/purchase them.

People are just jumping on the same EA hate train that's existed, mostly unwarranted, for over a decade now.

TL;DR stop shaming companies for trying to actually make money off their incredibly expensive-to-create games.

Hahahahaha

It's because of people like you that these companies are doing slimy and exploitative shit to users with this lootbox garbage.

The only reason it costs 10k for reviwers is so that they dont notice theres a big grind pushing you to buy lootboxes

Good job for defending a corporation that does not give a shit about you, is doing stuff that is against your interests and wants you to pay up to unlock heroes quickly ( or grind for 10 years to unlock them instead)

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
This may actually be worse than leaving microtransactions out of the review copies entirely and patching them in later, because instead of a review that can't say anything about the game's economy, you get a review that actively misleads the consumer about the game's economy.

Do not buy this game.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After finding out about this, my gut reaction was to be kind of angry. Now that I've had some time to think, I really don't have a problem with this practice as long as reviewers are upfront about it.

I'd definitely find value in reviewers being able to experience end-game stuff as early as possible so that it isn't excluded from the review. At the same time, I'd also expect outlets to give us a "review in progress" until they have a chance to see whether the amount of time to normally unlock these things seems like it detracts from the experience.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mods, this is false and has already been disproven. The gameplay and screen caps are from a capture event that happened about a week ago where this thing is normal due to the time constraints. I've already confirmed that this isn't the case with other reviewers who have copies.

It's 60k for anyone who has the game right now, review copy or not, it was only 10k at the build at the capture event at DICE office which is pretty normal for any review/capture event.

They didn't tell us about the high cost in the full game though which I wish they would have. https://t.co/nklY9lM4oA

— BattlefrontUpdates (@SWBFUpdates) November 13, 2017

Incorrect. This 10,000 credit value was present at the launch capture event a couple of weeks ago. The value then changed for launch.

Current review copies are all set at 60,000 for those heroes that cost that amount. https://t.co/5STW7xhIdz

— Westie (@MrProWestie) November 13, 2017

Oct 25, 2017
The mass of reviewers won't say anything like usual. Reviewers aren't typically transparent when it comes to this kind of stuff. If it they were you would get a whole opening paragraph of how publishers wine and dimes them before the actual review starts.

Oct 30, 2017
Why is this bad? Seriously? This is all overblown and I think this game is going to come out, sell well, and most people are going to like it.

Unlocking a hero shows off a bit more than unlocking a great gun. When you play almost any game online these days, there are unlockables that take a LONG time to get. There are plenty others along the way and they make the journey fun and rewarding. This is accepted as fine.

Heroes in Battlefront are really powerful though, so yes, they should take a long time to unlock. However, reviewers might not have the time to do this, and might not get their hands on them to appreciate their design and how fun they are in order to accurately review the game. So, they lent them some slack so they could see the entire game without sinking hundreds of hours into it.

WHY IS THIS BAD. And why are crates so bad?? From what I understand they aren't doing anything scummy with their crate system that's out of the ordinary for other games. Systems like this help support these AAA titles and are usually optional and don't offer major advantages over those people who choose not to use them/purchase them.

People are just jumping on the same EA hate train that's existed, mostly unwarranted, for over a decade now.

TL;DR stop shaming companies for trying to actually make money off their incredibly expensive-to-create games.

You and people like you are why companies like EA and 2K get away with this predatory bullshit.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mods, this is false and has already been disproven. The gameplay and screen caps are from a capture event that happened about a week ago where this thing is normal due to the time constraints. I've already confirmed that this isn't the case with other reviewers who have copies.

It's 60k for anyone who has the game right now, review copy or not, it was only 10k at the build at the capture event at DICE office which is pretty normal for any review/capture event.

They didn't tell us about the high cost in the full game though which I wish they would have. https://t.co/nklY9lM4oA

Incorrect. This 10,000 credit value was present at the launch capture event a couple of weeks ago. The value then changed for launch.

Current review copies are all set at 60,000 for those heroes that cost that amount. https://t.co/5STW7xhIdz

You mean to tell me I got angry for nothing?

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

Thanks for the clarification!

I will add it to the OP.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

Interesting. I think EA should still come out and clarify this before it spreads on the internet.
On the other hand, why even lock the Heroes in this case if it was just for an event? Why not have them unlocked from the start for this event?

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Just like NBA2K it's super scummy giving reviewers shortcuts on the grinding hook.

If the "grind" is suppose to be a sense of accomplishment and/or fun to do let reviewers experience it so they can relay it to the consumers accurately

Mit-

Oct 26, 2017
Hahahahaha

It's because of people like you that these companies are doing slimy and exploitative shit to users with this lootbox garbage.

The only reason it costs 10k for reviwers is so that they dont notice theres a big grind pushing you to buy lootboxes

Good job for defending a corporation that does not give a shit about you, is doing stuff that is against your interests and wants you to pay up to unlock heroes quickly ( or grind for 10 years to unlock them instead)
Does this even address anything I brought up? It's dismissive, and worthless. Actively seeking to shutdown discussion that disagrees with you.

Fun fact: I'm not even buying this game. I don't have a ton of interest. I know they're a big bad corporation. I know they want to get my money in any way possible. You know who is ACTUALLY responsible for why they "get away" with stuff you don't like? Because there are people who still buy the games and enjoy them. Making money for any gigantic corporation is always a practice in "how do we make the most money from our customers while also not pissing them off in some way so they don't stop buying our products."

My argument is that these issues aren't a huge deal and this game is probably going to do well. Definitely better than the first. These practices are not particularly heinous or terrible, and if it was a smaller company behind practices like this for a smaller game, I highly doubt people would be on this heavy of a witch hunt. If it's truly terrible, then guess what: the game is going to come out, people are going to be mad and stop playing it, and EA will either address the issues, or the game will not be a great success for them. There will always be people who aren't happy with a piece of entertainment, but in this scenario I'm willing to bet that those upset will be far outweighed by those who enjoy the game and make it a success. As long as, you know, the other 99% of the game itself that no one cares to discuss (singleplayer, multiplayer, graphics/content/bugs/etc) is good.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting. I think EA should still come out and clarify this before it spreads on the internet.

To be fair to them, individual (but still official) responses from figures in the company are the first step when you're trying to get a statement out there. A more formal press release does take some time/effort to draft.

I think you're 10000% right though.
If anyone has questions regarding press copies of games, please feel free to respond or message me, I'm happy to answer.

Were the previous progression values specifically for a [media capture event], or was it also partly characterized as a review event?

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
Making people think that their games look better than they actually are isn't enough for the AAA game industry anymore. Now they make people think that their games are lest grindy than they actually are.

I fucking hate this industry sometimes.

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Genuinely curious to know what companies/games do things like this (whether the OP is true or not)... and what reviewers/outlets were OK with this.

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If it's made clear that the unlock system has been shortened for review copies, I don't even think it's that big of a deal. I think part of the issue I have with these types of games is that the reviewers don't even play long enough to give a good idea of the systems in place. When is the last review you've read that addresses weapon balance or map design. Even in multiplayer only games you get the smallest of information from these reviews.

Nov 4, 2017
The mass of reviewers won't say anything like usual. Reviewers aren't typically transparent when it comes to this kind of stuff..

Mack will.

He buys his own shit so that he's not beholden to any corporation. He's probably one of the few decent skins on YT these days. Not saying everyone else is untrustworthy but let's be honest here ... when you're depending on the success of a videogame for your next paycheck you're not going to bite the hand that feeds you. There is a serious incentive problem when it comes to Youtubers. I just feel sorry for younger audiences who are far more impressionable and can't see they're being manipulated by marketing mouthpieces and corporate representatives.

SantaC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lets see how many reads this post.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I find having a thread open accusing something of something, which then hours later is only corrected (and won't be seen by most people) is pretty shitty as well. Less detrimental when people have an abundance of issues with BFII anyway but it's still something I really dislike when I see it. Especially when the title it stated so matter-of-factly.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
To be fair to them, individual (but still official) responses from figures in the company are the first step when you're trying to get a statement out there. A more formal press release does take some time/effort to draft.

I think you're 10000% right though.
thats not how the press game works for publishers.
first let the problem manifest, then come up with a statement saying "we hear you! we are making changes! we love you!"
so that the last thing mass media transmits about the problem, is that the company "is making changes", so that people that said "not buying" but are still looking for excuses to buy it, will do so, without the other party changing anything significant, maybe trim a 1-2% of the "work" needed for unlocks... but the problem we are discussing right now, even thought it will mainly remain the same and unchanged, it will be handled as "old news".
its not even a new trick, or a trick that works only for videogame publishers and media...

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Might as well just lock the thread. No need to discuss a dirty business practice that is actually not in practice.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Probably gonna take a lot more to stop the rage train. Thread should be deleted, honestly.
The fact the original title remains as-is is embarrassing, honestly. It's completely false, and yet it's running completely rampant as news. Even Reddit's mods gave the story a 'misleading' tag once the facts emerged.

I feel like this thread is a proving ground for how ERA will handle big controversial news stories, and it is failing tremendously.

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
The fact the original title remains as-is is embarrassing, honestly. It's completely false, and yet it's running completely rampant as news. Even Reddit's mods gave the story a 'misleading' tag once the facts emerged.

I feel like this thread is a proving ground for how ERA will handle big controversial news stories, and it is failing tremendously.

A mod has changed it now.

Deleted member 21

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Think twice before starting another thread based on a tweet + video. If you think there is a potential important discussion to have on stuff like that, make sure to check other sources as well. Ask reviewers, influencers etc., don't take a single tweet as gospel.

Oh gosh

Status
Not open for further replies.