• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
bannerg5kg8.png

Release Date: November 8, 2017
Platform: Steam(PC), Xbox(2018)
Developer: Stunlock Studios
Price: Free (Buy all characters, present and future, for $30)

Launch Trailer

What's Battlerite?
Battlerite is a MOBA-esque arena brawler and the spiritual successor to Bloodline Champions, both of which were created by the same developer, Stunlock Studios. In fact, Battlerite is such a spiritual successor, that a number of characters in Battlerite are directly based off characters from Bloodline Champions.

Ok. So what's the hook?
What differentiates Battlerite from traditional MOBAs like League/Dota/Heroes is that, unlike all of those games, Battlerite's primary 2v2 and 3v3 modes do not have: creeps, towers, lanes, experience, gold, items or bosses. Rather, what Battlerite has in common with those games is a strong emphasis on mouse-based skill-shots and a familiar overhead camera view. Otherwise, the basic structure of Battlerite has more in common with teambased arena fighters like Power Stone, Anarchy Reigns or even Virtual On wherein a team of Champions fight each other to the death across multiple rounds until one team is left standing. There are health and energy picks ups strewn across the arenas, a core that periodically spawns in the middle of the map that both teams have to fight over for health/energy, and a circle that slowly encloses each arena as rounds wane, but at the end of the day, Battlerite is pure teamfighting.

It's worth noting that Stunlock has added an early work-in-progress mode that's much more objective orientated where teams fight to defeat each other's core(sound familiar?), but so far at least, this seems to be an early side mode.

Game Modes:
2v2, 3v3 - Casual
2v2, 3v3 - Ranked
Battlegrounds(The work-in-progress objective mode)

Current and future roster:

(The green tree man there is Thorn and he launched today with the game.)

Hey are there cool Ultimates in this game?
ARE THERE

battleritegif3wvj5i.gif

This game has a very original and unique name.
Yeah it does.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
It's basically a condensed game of just those teamfights everyone always wait for to happen in every MOBA. It's a lot of fun. Everything is skillshots. Everything is about movement and positioning and knowing when to use each of your skills.

Highly recommended to try.

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh man I haven't played this game in a while and didn't realize it was finally "launching"... I should read up on the additions and changes in recent months and start playing it again.

Really fun game

Malfred

Oct 26, 2017
If you're a MOBA player who lives for the team fights, then this is definitely worth a shot.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Historically it's been difficult for it to retain numbers, but i hope it does.

Just got back into this game like 3 days ago so ive just been brushing up on the characters i used to play. But thorn looking mighty tempting.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed it finally went F2P myself. Guess I'll have to jump back in to see the changes and how the community is faring. Looks like a couple new characters came out while I've been away.

For anyone who hasn't played it's a great game for people who like Mobas but don't wanna mess with the overall metagame of laning etc. The game is really satisfying when you outplay your opponents, and kinda scratches that fighting game itch.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing as a F2P and have been enjoying it but haven't purchased yet because I want to see what happens the the population in a few weeks. I hope it turns out to be successful as I am having fun with it at the moment.

liezryou

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing as a F2P and have been enjoying it but haven't purchased yet because I want to see what happens the the population in a few weeks. I hope it turns out to be successful as I am having fun with it at the moment.
That was the problem in early access, there was no playerbase. Hopefully it ramps up and stays that way.

OP
OP
Quad Lasers

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Whew buddy. I played a couple matches last week to get my sea legs back, but otherwise, put me in the camp that played this sparingly after launch and forgot just how damn fun this game is. Fuckin' cleaned up tonight with Raigon.

Nov 9, 2017
I bought this game in Early Access and wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do. I hope it retains decent numbers as a free-to-play game.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
First time I played it was two days ago. Game is super fun! It removes everything I dislike about MOBAs and keeps the interesting part, the pvp.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Been browsing stuff like the battlerite reddit and discords, i see a decent amount of ppl asking about tier lists. The majority of the responses say that everyone is good if you play well and that it's more about considering team comp strengths and weaknesses, and i think that's fucking rad

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I always thought it was less like a MOBA and more like an isometric WoW arena game. It's really fun and fluid.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The idea is great but holy fuck how you guys can move a character in a top down moba-ish game with wasd? The controls are obnoxious and i can't even try to use a controller with joytokey since the mouse is still essential to aim.

Maybe i missed the options to control it more like a classic moba or something?

Is a lot better mechanically than Bloodline Champions at least.

liezryou

Oct 25, 2017
The idea is great but holy fuck how you guys can move a character in a top down moba-ish game with wasd? The controls are obnoxious and i can't even try to use a controller with joytokey since the mouse is still essential to aim.

Eh, with how fast paced this game is, the WASD controls are way more suitable then a classic MOBA control scheme. With a MOBA control scheme, you wouldn't be able to dodge shots while shooting them at the same time. With WASD, that's only the beginning of what you can achieve.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

You'd be at a severe disadvantage. If it was a solo game the option would be fine, but since it's team based your decisions would hurt your teammates. WASD controls are a lot more responsive, precise and decouples movement with targeting allowing a lot more freedom. It takes a bit to get used to if you're used to playing League/Dota whatever, but once you do it feels great.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played this in forever, so jumping back in was weird as hell lol. The reworked battlerite system definitely takes some time to get used to.

But, I like it a lot. Now I can start as my endgame builds and go to town. Game's still crazy fun.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I pray for this to be a success on PC, because I want a PS4 port.

Loved my time when I had a gaming PC set up, but can't anymore.

Very well made game, and something that should be considered for e sports.

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
How come not everyone is not talking about this game? 44k players online , thats huge IMHO!

Wow. Didn't realize there was that many. I actually just got through playing my first session in a few months...

Lots of improvements to the UI+profile as well as some effect and character model enhancements since I last played... Game has made solid progress. Need to learn how some of the new characters work though as I lost to a couple since I had no clue how they worked :P

I will say I don't think I'm a fan of the new battlerite system and the loadouts though. I enjoyed picking between each round. Not sure how long that change has been active.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
I will say I don't think I'm a fan of the new battlerite system and the loadouts though. I enjoyed picking between each round. Not sure how long that change has been active.
They just changed to it with the release.

I think maybe an idea would be to have the losers of the round be able to switch rites to try and combat the winning team better, if it were to be worked upon. Though it could drag out game times a bit.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played this in forever, so jumping back in was weird as hell lol. The reworked battlerite system definitely takes some time to get used to.

But, I like it a lot. Now I can start as my endgame builds and go to town. Game's still crazy fun.

It's a great change in terms of balance imo, rather than try to level out the power spikes for diff champs or try to make particular champs about particular spikes it's just "check out your team and their team, pick the correct battlerites".

Mecha Suplex would it be possible to get www.battlecrank.com/start in the ot for newer players? Really essential info here that's well written.

Last edited:

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Tried out that new character Thorn today... really damn fun. the reach on his third hit catches a lot of folks off guard in my current pleb tier mmr lol

anyway I only have one buddy who has the game so when he's not online I'm forced into solo queueing... If anyone is willing to deal with someone (re)learning the game shoot me a PM and hopefully we can get some games in.

It's a shame this thread isn't getting more hits on era even tho the game is picking up steam elsewhere (and has a lot more players now)... It's damn good.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started playing this the other day and surprised how much I enjoy it. And yeah, surprised this isn't getting more posts, game is doing great on steam.

If anyone wants to friend me, it's GLHFGodbless. Everyone friend me, I want those friend achivements, and none of my friends are playing this. :(

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
A word of warning that I just learned reading the RockPaperShotgun review (got their Recommended mark by the way), the Casual queue, has very little skill matchmaking involved so it's high chance that you get matched against players of better skill which can feel incredibly frustrating for a ironically named "Casual" setting.

League has apparently much stronger matchmaking to try and put you with people of your level.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
I played this last night some, and I'm in love! I am probably going to pick up the full roster today. Who is y'all's favorites?

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I played this last night some, and I'm in love! I am probably going to pick up the full roster today. Who is y'all's favorites?

Taya for ranged, Shifu for melee... Although I'm definitely taking a liking to the new character Thorn as well. So that's probably my top 3 favorite for now.

I haven't really clicked with a support character yet although I haven't gotten around to trying all of them.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Taya for ranged, Shifu for melee... Although I'm definitely taking a liking to the new character Thorn as well. So that's probably my top 3 favorite for now.

I haven't really clicked with a support character yet although I haven't gotten around to trying all of them.

What do you like about Tanya? I've been playing Jade only to get her down, but I see Tanya has a lot of play at higher levels compared to Jade.

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
What do you like about Tanya? I've been playing Jade only to get her down, but I see Tanya has a lot of play at higher levels compared to Jade.

I mostly enjoy both Taya and Shifu due to how they are two of the most mobile for their class type. Taya has 5 abilities giving her a variety of movement options if you count the ex-version of Wind Strike (Zephyr). Compare that to someone like Jade who only has 2 and that's the stealth and blast vault. I also find Taya's boomerang attack to be satisfying compared to other default attacks and wind strike is a really easy way to get enemies off you if you do get engaged on.

But just a general rule of thumb for me in almost every game is I'm a fan of whatever classes/characters have high mobility.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Taya is different from when i was first playing, where she was all about doing the e->rmb combo. It's still there but it seems like the proper way to play her atm is to keep haste up with spacebar, q haste refresh, popping e on yourself for more, repeat. Now she feels more in your face and going for ex2 stuns feels rewarding because you get the haste dmg too

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

Poloma was my go to in early access. A support that could dish out a ton of damage, it felt like cheating playing her most of the time. I played Freya a lot too, but she was a lot more work to be good at.

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing it a bunch this week. As a fan of Bloodline Champions, I'm glad this exists and I hope this does well for the studio.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
For me, i pretty much switch around every game. I try to put in time for each hero but id say my top 3 most played are shifu, jumong, and...taya/ashka/oldur? And my least played are probably pestilence, blossom, and raigon (been spamming some thorn, he's really fun)

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I pretty much play nothing but supports other than going for achievements/dailies. My Blossom and Lucie are out of control.

Malfred

Oct 26, 2017
Blossom is hilarious to play as.
Then there's Freya and Varesh, both excellent at punishing those who are a bit too brave.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
This game lies.

People say League is better matchmaking than Casual, but the game has for some reason rated me as Gold which is clearly not true judging by the straight 11 losses I have. Starting to feel like I should give up. As nice as the game is, people are now just yelling me to uninstall the game, teammates leaving midmatch and just yelling how awful I am.

None of my friends wants to play this with me cause they just wanna play PUBG or hate multiplayer games...

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has to be the most generic looking console title this generation, hands down. Will still give it a shot when it comes to Xbox.

Oct 25, 2017
This game lies.

People say League is better matchmaking than Casual, but the game has for some reason rated me as Gold which is clearly not true judging by the straight 11 losses I have. Starting to feel like I should give up. As nice as the game is, people are now just yelling me to uninstall the game, teammates leaving midmatch and just yelling how awful I am.

None of my friends wants to play this with me cause they just wanna play PUBG or hate multiplayer games...

I might give it a shot and I'll be a complete noob.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing after a mate recommended it really liking it so far, would love more games like this on Switch.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
The gold you get in this game is kinda low for unlocking new heros. I mean you get like 8 gold per match... and some of the heroes cost over 4k. That seems a bit much. Why not at least give 10g or something. Or do you get more gold in league? >_>

At the moment I main Rook, as I love juggernauts and he fits the bill to a T. Has surprising many tools to deal with most of the cast as well.

Currently running an armor break defensive build, anyone with experience would recommend a different build?

Squash - Crushing Blow inflicts a 0.5s stun.
Weapon Break - Crushing Blow deals 2 bonus damage and enemies affected by Armor Break deal 33 % less damage.
Crumble - Boulder Toss deals 2 bonus damage and inflicts Armor Break.
Landing Rush causes you to enter Berserk for 1.5s.
Giant - During Berserk you take 30% less damage.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
The gold you get in this game is kinda low for unlocking new heros. I mean you get like 8 gold per match... and some of the heroes cost over 4k. That seems a bit much. Why not at least give 10g or something. Or do you get more gold in league? >_>

At the moment I main Rook, as I love juggernauts and he fits the bill to a T. Has surprising many tools to deal with most of the cast as well.

Currently running an armor break defensive build, anyone with experience would recommend a different build?

Squash - Crushing Blow inflicts a 0.5s stun.
Weapon Break - Crushing Blow deals 2 bonus damage and enemies affected by Armor Break deal 33 % less damage.
Crumble - Boulder Toss deals 2 bonus damage and inflicts Armor Break.
Landing Rush causes you to enter Berserk for 1.5s.
Giant - During Berserk you take 30% less damage.

Supposedly its 30% quicker according to the reddit to unlock champions, factor in the daily/weekly goals its quicker.