blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know what to watch and this was on Amazon prime.. man this show is so fucking good. I'm so in love with Starbuck, shit. can't believe I never watched this.

my life rn halfway through season 1

so does it stay good? I'm looking forward to this. the cinematography in particular is really fantastic, and almost every character has a good performance behind it. you never really know who to trust. there's a whole cylon witch-hunt going on right now in addition to a cylon-controlled caprica story going on for the survivor pilot.

I never watched the classic show or knew anything about the franchise but shit Edward James Olmos is reason enough to watch this so far, script and world-building aside. omg they're doing a tribunal right now to figure out who's a cylon. gotta go, post your thoughts.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Just try not to get too invested in the mysteries/questions they keep throwing at you because they don't deliver at the end.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the last season / ending.

It's not so bad that it undoes everything good that came before. But. I was let down by the ending.

It does become clear at some point that they hadn't really plotted out their whole story bible very well from early on... which they needed to do with that tagline, and I was certainly expecting.

They just sort of... leave a lot up to mystery... and that's not... acceptable given the story they chose to tell the way they chose to tell it before.

Big Wazu

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Also just started watching this for the first time. Currently on episode 10 of season 1 and enjoying the hell out of it.

I have seen the original show and enjoyed that quite a bit, so I don't really know why I put off watching this one for so long.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
don't watch the last season

this is not hyperbole or dumb fanboyism

DO NOT WATCH THE LAST SEASON

Silentbomber

Oct 27, 2017
It is great for the first two - three seasons (bar some weird religious arrow of apollo subplots) but takes a dive mid season 3 and never really recovers. Still and excellent series and one of my favorites, if not my favorite sci fi show!

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Season 2 is the best IMO

A lot of people will say the final season is garbage, but it's not that bad it's just that Season 2 is so fucking good.

Oct 27, 2017
Again, I am going to start rewatching it again soon myself... because I did like it... a lot... but don't expect everything tied up neat with a bow, the writers didn't know how to solve everything at the end so they just... didn't (smh).

One fun fact: BSG is an AMAZING board game, and that WILL NOT disappoint.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I had plenty of issues with season 3 (it was my least favorite sans a fantastic start) and 4 as they aired but I wonder if I would respond better to some of that shit if binged.

OP
OP
blame space

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the space combat sequences aren't even that bad which is high praise for CG made 15 years ago.

Nov 20, 2017
It is absolutely tremendous. I don't like space opera but I love BSG, I resisted it for years until my mate finally made me sit down and watch the opening mini-movie and I was hooked from the first scene.

Goes into some weird Mormon wish fulfilment territory but it's good enough to hold it all together IMO.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Half of the show is great. The other half is a bad joke for the most part. It also went with the Lost style of story telling of creating entire plot threads and not giving a fuck about doing anything with many of them.

Jyester

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic show. I get why people don't like the last season, but I'm glad I rode this train to the end. It's definitely not as earth-shatteringly terrible as people make it out to be, so judge for yourself.

OP
OP
blame space

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how the beginning was a miniseries. a lot of buildup for a backdoor pilot.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
It's better than Breaking Bad.

I like it more than breaking bad but that one is more consistently written throughout the series. Plus its more of a drug and crime drama as opposed to sci fi and inherently has less goofy stuff to contend with

Watch the show the whole way through. I'm not a fan of the mystical elements that the show grappled with but the soap drama and infighting between all the characters was always so good. Straight through to the end

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it collapsed under its own weight by the end, so much so that I'm worried that rewatching it will ruin my feelings for the series. But man, the pilot is the easily the best pilot I've ever seen. Even without watching the miniseries beforehand, it perfectly establishes the characters, setting, and stakes in a single episode.

Oct 24, 2017
I really tried, and a certain someone tries to keep getting me to try, but I'm just not into it. Nothing about it was that interesting to me. Maybe it was too much hype, but I was expecting something revolutionary.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The show is awesome and I love all of it including the final season. That last episode was great and I'm pretty sure people are just mad it didn't match their fanfic.

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
My favorite show of all time.

I've introduced (and thus rewatched) the entirety of the first season to three people, who ended up loving the show. To put into perspective, I hardly watch TV; I've finished four TV shows in my whole life. So, for me to rewatch a show is unprecedented.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some really badass shit happens in this show its so fantastic. I love the emotional element Most of the actors bring too.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Just here to say enjoy the ride, and ignore all the doom and gloom about the ending.

And don't watch, "The Plan".

OP
OP
blame space

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about disappointments. my whole life is a disappointment. I can't even point out an ending of a TV show that I liked and thought I was disappointed by it.

I'm in this for the long haul.

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The first two seasons are solid gold. The third season isn't bad but it's where the series starts to lose it's luster. By the end I was just glad it was over. I rewatch the first two seasons about every other year.

EDIT: as a lot of people are saying the later seasons aren't flat out horrible. It's just that they're bad in contrast with how brilliant the first two seasons are. Particularly season 2. It's about as good as pop sci-fi gets.

Last edited:

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Quality-wise the final season isn't as high as the previous ones, but it doesn't actually get to "bad" or anything close. Dexter is a show that gets actually bad.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Seasons 1 and 2 are fantastic. Season 3 has some of the absolute high points (man, S3 finale and its use of music!) but the season also has some really low lows-. Season 4 has some really great stuff as well but fell off dramatically for me near the end.

mokeyjoe

Dec 22, 2017
Seasons 1 and 2 are fantastic. Season 3 has some of the absolute high points (man, S3 finale and its use of music!) but the season also has some really low lows-. Season 4 has some really great stuff as well but fell off dramatically for me near the end.

This is fair. It gets a bit tied up in it's own story strands in the end, but it was still ok.

Still the best space opera type thing there's ever been.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I go through the exact same thing every time I watch this show regarding Gaius...

I hate this character and wish someone would kill him.

"I know a bit about farming"

I need some tissues. :(

And it starts all over again next time I rewatch it.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The show is amazing.

90% of it is pure brilliance.

Enjoy.

Sadly it's not on my amazon prime =( ...

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on your tolerance for quasi-mystical bullshit that never ends up making sense and has a really dumb catchphrase attached.

OP
OP
blame space

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the fact that certain cylons don't know that they're cylons is the most interesting part to me.