• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pre-order: https://battletech.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

Steam page

GOG page

Summary of game features
  • Turn-based tactical 'Mech combat based on Battletech, the universe behind Mechwarrior and Mechcommander
  • Singleplayer campaign with pilot recruitment, mech customization and loadouts
  • Mission planning
  • Mercenary contracts & factions
  • Procedurally generated side-missions
  • PvP & Skirmish mode
  • If successful, expect HBS to continue the timeline (CLANS!)
Description

>>> WHAT
BATTLETECH is a single-player, turn-based, tactical 'Mech combat game for PC. (And Mac and Linux!) The game may also include PVP multiplayer if enough funding is reached - more on that below.

>>> WHERE
The BattleTech Universe is one of near-constant warfare and feudal political intrigue, where great noble houses vie for dominance of a vast region of space known as the Inner Sphere. It's a universe of flawed heroes, fallen empires and grey moral realities. Great families vie for supremacy, with alliances and betrayals constantly shifting the balance of power.

>>> WHEN
Our BATTLETECH game is set in the popular 3025 Succession Wars Era of the BattleTech Universe - often referred to as "Classic BattleTech".

Footage:
Various gameplay videos after the multiplayer beta got released: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=battletech+gameplay

Screenshots (credit to the various players who made these):
2f4d2f8dfaf21d7f3a0e05aa441202a7cd73d4147b1c4cdd3d1cfde563111094u11469.jpg
567b2eeb38f048c94d9b4e2f0ff2a259fe09098b11f48df5aec934dac02a56f1u10752.jpg
ca98d2-1496596287.jpg
battletech_mar27_screen03.jpg
battletech_mar27_screen01.jpg

Concept art

Get in the Battletech/Mechwarrior/Mechcommander mood

Play the old Mechcommander for free

What is Battletech
A Primer

Art & Wallpapers
Wallpapers at Battletech.com
Art of Battletech

Intros
Mechwarrior 2 Intro (THE GOAT)
ytma!▶MechWarrior 2 Intro (1:18)MechWarrior 2, 1995 See: http://www.mech2.org/forum/index.php I uploaded this for historical purposes and hope nobody has a probl . . .

- Clan Wolf Intro
ytma!▶MechWarrior 2 - Clan Wolf intro (1:13)Intro cinematic for the Clan Wolf campaign from MechWarrior 2.
+ Jade Falcon intro
ytma!▶MechWarrior 2 - Clan Jade Falcon intro (1:10)The introductory cinematic for the Clan Jade Falcon campaign in MechWarrior 2.

Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Lecacy Intro
ytma!▶MechWarrior 2 Ghost Bear's Legacy intro (1:08)Intro cinematic for MechWarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy. A Ghost Bear Kodiak ambushes a Smoke Jaguar Mad Dog on patrol.

Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries intro
ytma!▶MechWarrior 2 Mercenaries intro (1:40)The introductory cinematic for MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries.

Mechwarrior 3 intro
ytma!▶Mech Warrior 3 Intro (3:03)Intro to my favorite PC game, Mech Warrior 3 Hello MW fans. Check this out: http://mwomercs.com/

Mechwarrior 4 intro (maximum cheesy acting)
ytma!▶Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance Intro HD (7:37)

Mechcommander intro
ytma!▶Mechcommander intro (4:36)intro

The Evolution of Mechwarrior 1989-2012
ytma!▶The Evolution of MechWarrior: 1989 - 2012 (6:06)A short showcase of all the major iterations in the MechWarrior series, alongside their respective soundtracks. I would have inclu . . .

Soundtracks
Mechwarrior 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM3M...409CD81FFF6F55
ytma!▶MechWarrior 2 In-Game Soundtrack - 01 - "Umber Wall" (2:19)This is the in-game soundtrack for the PC game "MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat" (1995) from Activision and FASA Corporation. I . . .

Ghost Bear's Legacy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4sq..._KEIFahsvYQstD
ytma!▶Mechwarrior 2 Ghost Bear's Legacy Soundtrack Kitty Kitty Here I Come (2:08)This Soundtrack i copied from my own Ghost Bear's Legacy disc. It is completely original. Soundtrack Number : 1 Title : Kitty Kit . . .

Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0u6...9995D427D6D230

@Mods: If mods need to move this to Hangouts, if a Kickstarter News thread classifies as a community thread, then feel free to move it :)

Last edited:

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like HBS has pushed an update to the double secret (it isn't secret, just opt-in) multiplayer beta. Their twitter is promoting it. Sounds like no balance changes, just some backend stuff to make the connections better and more stable. They were asking for folks to play some online multiplayer matches so they could get data.

Skip

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this game will scratch my Front Mission itch. I enjoyed the Shadowrun reboot games a lot and have high hopes for this one.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
The beta was super promising, I think this is going to be something really special.

deim0s

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the thread.

MP Beta got updated (for backend changes) recently too, so they've asked again to try multiplayer matches.

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
Will I miss a lot if I don't have knowledge of the source material? I have no experience with the tabletop or Mech Warrior games. I also can't find the time to read the primer. I just backed this out of good faith to the developer because of the recent Shadowrun games.

KyouG

Oct 26, 2017
Will I miss a lot if I don't have knowledge of the source material? I have no experience with the tabletop or Mech Warrior games. I also can't find the time to read the primer. I just backed this out of good faith to the developer because of the recent Shadowrun games.

You don't need experience with the tabletop nor past Mechwarrior games, but I do recommend reading the primer, or keeping it handy while you try it out. Set it to the smallest engagement possible, go in and fiddle around with things to get a feel for how it works. There's some nice depth to the combat system, and I've barely scratched the surface myself. Definitely glad I backed this from the beginning.

OP
OP

Lime

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can also just check out some of the intro videos that I've linked. They are without a doubt some of the most impressive FMV/CGI intros of all time! Some of them somewhat catches the aesthetic of the universe I think.

deim0s

Oct 25, 2017

Not really, its basically just you as a head of a mercenary command doing contracts with stompy robots.

Plus there will be an in-game information hub for new comers, iirc.

There's sarna.net it you want to get deeper and of course sourcebooks are available if you're really into Battletech.

OP
OP

Lime

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not game-related as such, but SpoOoky777 who does some amazing art by using the assets from Mechwarrior Online and painting a scenery with them made this nice nostalgia shot:

blast_from_the_past__aep3v.jpg

Here's the original for reference:
battletechwiq8d.jpg

I thought it was a nice homage worth sharing after basically 30 years

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so unbelievably glad they're not neglecting the management/campaign side of things. It looks so hype.

Oct 26, 2017
This is the game I'm most looking forward to next year, great OP Lime.

The combat in the beta was really good I thought, very weighty and the sense of attrition for big metal things fighting was really satisfying.

The campaign though is what could elevate this game to greatness, what they have said so far has me stupidly excited for it!

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really looking forward to this. Having played the beta, I'm looking forward to the campaign mode particularly. Having to take strategic concerns like repairs, ammo and mech warrior lives into account will hopefully stop me from constantly just trying to face-roll the enemy.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really looking forward to this. Having played the beta, I'm looking forward to the campaign mode particularly. Having to take strategic concerns like repairs, ammo and mech warrior lives into account will hopefully stop me from constantly just trying to face-roll the enemy.

Yeh that's what I'm looking forward to with the campaign. Juggling the nitty-gritty details of running a Mercenary Mech Company.

I hope they can give the pilots real personality, so you can get attached to them and if/when you loose them it hurts like in XCom. That could make this special.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally my most anticipated to-be-released game. Well, this and For The King.

Turn based strategy has been FEASTING the last few years!

Oct 28, 2017
Please have tanks and infantry and VTOLs and hovercrafts and vehicles and.... PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLADEPLEASEPLEASEPLEADE!!!..

Oct 28, 2017
AI Vehicles are confirmed, not sure about VTOL and infantry likely won't be in there.

It's very promising, but it's also very easy to see that it's first on the list to be cut off if something goes wrong :)

So I'm really hopeful to see it come true, but I'll believe when I see..

But as far as storytelling, lore amd more varied missions go even vehicles would be AWESOME!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine vehicles and VTOLs will show up as friendly and enemy AI units, but we're confirmed to just field Mechs. Kind doubt they'll bother with infantry.

OP
OP

Lime

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is in San Francisco or London next week, there's a chance to meet Mitch and Mike (SF), or Jordan (London).

rf17oCttWzNX-Riyrl42T8xoUh99fvmvIDbv_3ZtvIw.png

As game development is exciting work that not seldom pulls you all across the globe we are organizing two seperate fan meetups for fans who would like to share a drink and a good talk with some of the old-school faces of HBS!

You can meet Mitch Gitelman and Mike McCain on November 6th in San Fransisco, Learn more and sign up for that meetup HERE

And you can also hang out with the one, the only Jordan Weisman in London on November 9th, learn more, holler at us, and all that good stuff about that right HERE

Deleted member 11025

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great OP, this game looks amazing. I'll try anything Hairbrained Schemes puts out after how awesome Dragonfall was and more Battletech is always welcome.

The campaign looks cool but I really hope the multiplayer is good. I haven't been able to play the tabletop game in years but I'd love to play this online with my old playgroup.

OP
OP

Lime

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great OP, this game looks amazing. I'll try anything Hairbrained Schemes puts out after how awesome Dragonfall was and more Battletech is always welcome.

The campaign looks cool but I really hope the multiplayer is good. I haven't been able to play the tabletop game in years but I'd love to play this online with my old playgroup.

Have you tried out the Backer beta? The PvP is pretty great.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
I wasn't a part of the KS campaign, but it's hard for me to ignore keywords such as MECH + TACTICAL + TURN-BASED. Needless to say I'm keeping an eye on this one.

OP
OP

Lime

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did anything ever come out of the Unseen Mechs and the related lawsuit from HG?

Our local legal scholar Woorloog can elaborate on this :)

My take: Things are not resolved yet and probably won't be until the end of next year, but last I heard Harmony Gold were simply patent-trolling and PGI & HBS took a stand and called bullshit. Catalyst Game Labs are out of the fight since they don't have any resources at all for a legal team.

Nov 1, 2017
Are there any good youtube vids of the pvp's? Not the developer ones, they're obviously going to be gushing, I want to see some real people playing it.

OP
OP

Lime

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good youtube vids of the pvp's? Not the developer ones, they're obviously going to be gushing, I want to see some real people playing it.

Molten Metal has some good ones on the beta, I think. He does some good commentary and I like the thick German accent on his English :P

You can search his channel for the Battletech PvP videos here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=battletech+molten+metal

If you want actual PvPs check out these ones https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWm-gyGZKGI (or search Youtube for Battletech pvp and you'll get a bunch of videos)

Status
Not open for further replies.