• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Serious question, why do developers use Unity? Is it much cheaper to license than other engines? The engine clearly has tons of limitations and is not really suited for graphically intensive games. Just curious.

XCOM 2 also ran like crap at launch, and it's using UE. I think that people give Unity a bad rap based on some PC to console ports that didn't turn out so well, but overall, it's not the engine's fault.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Readout after the first big story mission - Glitch's armor took a beating (and she got injured by an unlucky headshot), but we made it back with everything still attached

JTTeMbG.jpg

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rest in pieces Dekker. That was some garbage dice the game just rolled for you. Also, 120 days paid vacation for my MC after getting punched in the head. (sigh)

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see the OT is active. Anyone else hear missile launches when they close their eyes? Just me?

Man I got CARUSHED in one of the main story missions. It was timed mission with two objectives and I thought I'd be clever and split my forces. One dead pilot and one incapacitated later and one mech desperately hammering away at a structure trying to beat the clock and I lose and had to restart. I guess you can't go on after failing story missions like you can the side jobs. I was actually relieved at getting the second chance.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I feel bad about shooting the little guys.

Nice to see the OT is active. Anyone else hear missile launches when they close their eyes? Just me?

Man I got CARUSHED in one of the main story missions. It was timed mission with two objectives and I thought I'd be clever and split my forces. One dead pilot and one incapacitated later and one mech desperately hammering away at a structure trying to beat the clock and I lose and had to restart. I guess you can't go on after failing story missions like you can the side jobs. I was actually relieved at getting the second chance.

thats the panzyr mission

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
can anybody explain how jump jets work? whats the point of installing multiple of them? are they unlimited use per battle?

this game def needs a better tutorial, especially UI tutorial

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
thats the panzyr mission

I didn't want to get specific for other players, but yeah.

What really did me in was opening up the fog of war where the turrets were before getting turret control. The couple of hits from the turrets weren't bad, but then they were nearly all destroyed by the enemy in the turn before the voice tells them to focus on the mechs. So I didn't have them around to help. The second time around I kept the fog of war there and got turret control. The enemy didn't destroy any of the turrets before focusing on us and it made a huge difference.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
can anybody explain how jump jets work? whats the point of installing multiple of them? are they unlimited use per battle?

I think installing multiple jets increases your jump range. And yeah you can use them every turn if you want but you have to watch out for heat. The tutorial could definitely be better.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You can use them instead of a regular move. More jets = more height and distance. They generate heat and give you max evasion. Unlimited use, unless they're blown off.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah for some I reason I also thought for a few battles that they were limited use per battle and that installing multiple gave you more uses. But as you say it's range, and the only limit on their use is heat generation.

Is the heat generation dependent on the jump distance?

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I didn't want to get specific for other players, but yeah.

What really did me in was opening up the fog of war where the turrets were before getting turret control. The couple of hits from the turrets weren't bad, but then they were nearly all destroyed by the enemy in the turn before the voice tells them to focus on the mechs. So I didn't have them around to help. The second time around I kept the fog of war there and got turret control. The enemy didn't destroy any of the turrets before focusing on us and it made a huge difference.
The turrets actually did some good work for me. I got spotted by the second turn after activating the turrets and they focused me. They had to slog upwards towards me while my lance and the turrets put them under fire.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah for some I reason I also thought for a few battles that they were limited use per battle and that installing multiple gave you more uses. But as you say it's range, and the only limit on their use is heat generation.

It's weird coming from XCom because the pilot abilities (that don't cost Morale) have unlimited uses and no cooldown. You can multi target to your hearts content, allowing for heat.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
So 1st mission Dekker took 2 head wounds and died. Then I went to the first contract job and my character took a head wound from the very first shot fired by the enemy. Headshots being rare my rusty metal ass.

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA

In the table top game they did: walking was 1 and running 2 regardless of distance traveled, jumping was 1 heat per hex moved with a minimum of 3.

Trying to piece together the rules differences is warming this old mechwarriors heart. I'd almost suggest people read the tabletop rules just to get a better idea of what's going on under the hood.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Progression seems slow, isn't it? I haven't seen medium mechs in salvage or stores.

Or should I invest in light mechs?
You get a free Centurion (50 ton medium) from the 3rd story mission (the second after the timeskip). Besides that you're basically stuck hoping to run into medium mechs for salvage.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see. I'm just about to start that mission, actually. Thanks.

After the that mission you'll start running into more mediums and occasional heavies. The further you progress in the story, the more challenging contracts you'll get access to, and the heavier mechs you'll find. I'm guessing the heaviest and rarest mechs are found in faction space, as well. For most of the early game you're essentially hopping around the badlands.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think you fire all your jump jets every time, but I haven't experimented to be sure.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
In the table top game they did: walking was 1 and running 2 regardless of distance traveled, jumping was 1 heat per hex moved with a minimum of 3.

Trying to piece together the rules differences is warming this old mechwarriors heart. I'd almost suggest people read the tabletop rules just to get a better idea of what's going on under the hood.
I just tested this, and yeah, jump heat generation scales with the distance jumped.
(It doesn't seem to be affected by the number of installed jets)

Deleted member 12009

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I was so gunshy after that first mission that I played it WAAAAY too safe in the next few. Now I've wasted nearly an entire month waiting on mechs to repair when one or two could have easily stomped a few tanks...

Jreid2112

Oct 31, 2017
Corpus Christi Texas
Anyone have any good builds for some of the light and medium mechs like the Kintaro, Griffen, Firestarter, ect. The stock builds or ok but wondering if anyone has created more efficient version with the mech lab

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone try the new nvidia driver today, it supposedly has Battletech enhancements. Just curious if that's actually true or not.

I'm assuming not.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
After 4 hours I finished the Panzyr mission.

Also, about Mech availability on shops:

You can buy unlimited Griffins on Panzyr

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
FYI, some missions, a drop shop will set down on a specific location, check the terrain information with your cursor before committing to a movement.

I had one land on one of my mechs and killed it instantly.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played several story missions (5 maybe?) and bunch of merc contracts, and i've yet to lose a single 'Mech or pilot. What the hell are you folks doing???
That said, i do have bunch of pilots in the infirmary after just about every mission, and repairing 'Mechs takes so much time.
Currently working toward second 'Mech bay ASAP.

The silliest thing as been so far how my brand new JagerMech lost an arm in its first mission.

I'd tweak my 'Mechs, especially the Jager since it doesn't even have paper for armor, but i have no time for that, not until i get more 'Mech bays...

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I one-shotted a centurion in the head with a large laser. Nice.

I've played several story missions (5 maybe?) and bunch of merc contracts, and i've yet to lose a single 'Mech or pilot. What the hell are you folks doing???

Just wait till the computer gets lucky with headshots. Had a nearly full health medium mech go down from nothing but headshots to the pilot.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I just tested this, and yeah, jump heat generation scales with the distance jumped.
(It doesn't seem to be affected by the number of installed jets)

And it seems to scale pretty quick from my experience. Jumping a decent distance in certain biomes is basically suicide. Lunar biome in particular REALLY SUCKS at sinking heat and you can get WRECKED if you over heat in those places. Jumping or shooting too many lasers on a moon is like inviting thermal shutdown.

I am very excited to try an overheating strategy when I can get enough Flamers and Jump Jets or a Firestarter mech. Just jump in and burn another mech to overheat and then enjoy the free called shots.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
so are most of you not having technical problems?

No crashes or chugging during gameplay, except when a mech is destroyed I get a slight hitch, but I'm on pretty old hardware.

The missile spam is real. So much knockdown, especially in convoy missions where there's just constant missile vomit. I don't think they balanced this particular aspect very well.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't resist, I just grabbed this for £25 from cdkeys.

Game seems utterly fantastic from first hour or so of play. Excited to play more!

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Readout after the first big story mission - Glitch's armor took a beating (and she got injured by an unlucky headshot), but we made it back with everything still attached
This is ... kind of a bug? Not really a bug.

Basically, wherever you take structural damage, it strips off the remainder of the armor in the after-action report (and it then automatically refills in the mechlab). I think it's to highlight to the player where there is damage to be fixed, but it makes it look like all your armor got blown off and you just barely limped through. Now, that can happen too, of course, but the after-action report can be misleading, basically.

Anyway, I have a Firestarter now.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what makes for good builds and I feel like I can't experiment because of how long and expensive it is to make any changes. :(

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what makes for good builds and I feel like I can't experiment because of how long and expensive it is to make any changes. :(
Hah yeah, the refit time is kinda brutal. I had a good time modifying a few mechs last night, then went to grab another mission and discovered my Vindicator had a 57 day refit time on her. Woopsie daisy.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I'm torn between repairing my wrecked Shadow Hawk, which would cost 400k, or scrapping it (which would give me 460k) and hoping to salvage two parts of a Shadow Hawk.

Eject your pilots when they're in trouble, kids.