• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
So it is!

I read the email so quick my mind mashed up AM and PDT to PM PDT. Go figure :P

EDIT Goddamnit, i had checked it on Google correctly though. 9AM PDT means 7PM here... sigh.

Woof. I wish the regional midnight release would just be the standard. :(
That way we could all just VPN in at the same time lol

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What kind of stuff have they made before?
I've never been interested in Shadowrun so i never followed those.

The Director's Cut of Shadowrun: Dragonfall make the game SO MUCH BETTER.

They added 5 new missions, overhauled the UI and interface, give you more control over the team members as they leveled up, AND added new music. It basically made the game into the amazing CRPG that it is today.

In Shadowrun: Hong Kong the Extended Edition acted as basically a free extra mini-campaign called Shadows of Hong Kong, as well as some visual effects changes and audio commentary. It wasn't as huge an overhaul as Dragonfall, but then HK started in a much better place.

callmeCata

Oct 27, 2017
Mannnn I gotta finish yakuza 6, god of war is out and now we got this. No idea this was coming out and it looks good as hell. 2018 is a good year to be gaming.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
That sounds similar to Front Mission. I'm excited
  • Give the pilots some proper Japanese names and you'll get Front Mission.
  • Mod the pilot portraits with anime girls portraits and you'll get Power Dolls.
The possibilities are endless.

Wednesday is a public holiday in Australia, so I'm looking forward to spend the whole day with the game!

Thanks to Woorloog for picking up the OT as well. :-)

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The developers said they didn't want to spend time developing mod tools and support for mods, but that they left everything in VERY easily modifyable formats so people could tweak their own stuff without much difficulty. I think they were more worried about spending time to support the mods than actually including them. You can definitely edit most of the mechs with a text editor in the beta (and I believe they confirmed it will be that way in the final game as well), so you could easily add your own custom mechs or change parameters of the current ones to whatever you liked.

So in the end Mods that tweak 'Mechs,/difficulty, that sort of thing: Easy - almost trivial. Mods that do new missions, use new maps or assets: Hard. That is my impression of what they're doing here.
I guess that's a start. There's apparently quite a lot of Battletech stuff that people are missing, especially in terms of weapons, mechs and equipment.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I guess that's a start. There's apparently quite a lot of Battletech stuff that people are missing, especially in terms of weapons, mechs and equipment.

Yeah there is tons of stuff in the Battletech Universe that isn't in this game. I think some of it is intentional. Setting the game in 3025 means we don't see anything Clan related or some of the later variant 'Mechs, and I think that's by design. However, there's nothing stopping them from making that stuff available later as DLC or in sequels. The universe has all sorts of weird stuff that this game doesn't have: Quad-legged 'Mechs, a whole set of 'Mechs called the Unseen (lawsuits have held them up), all the Clan stuff that happens much later in the timeline (and is pretty problematic from a lore perspective, honestly), and probably more that I don't even know about.

The Clans in particular are something that lots of people remember (due to them being the focal point of the MechWarrior series of games), but if you really remember the lore of those groups it becomes pretty hard to adapt to modern sensibilities. The Clans are essentially all about "pure" bloodlines and natural selection through combat in a way that reads VERY distinctly of white nationalism in today's America. Not that they couldn't retcon them or reinvent them as something else, but at least they have chose to sidestep that issue and all the associated conflicts in this game by not having them in it. Can't say I blame them. You get people mad either way with including them, and by not including them you don't have to address the issues with the old lore.

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
I've been waiting so long for this. This is the dream game I envisioned when I first started playing battletech all those years ago.

I've been running dark on the game so my hopes wouldn't be up in case it was terrible.

ph1l0z0ph3r

Oct 27, 2017
Very hyped for this. Going to be a great 4 day weekend for me next week with this, Frostpunk and God Of War.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah there is tons of stuff in the Battletech Universe that isn't in this game. I think some of it is intentional. Setting the game in 3025 means we don't see anything Clan related or some of the later variant 'Mechs, and I think that's by design. However, there's nothing stopping them from making that stuff available later as DLC or in sequels. The universe has all sorts of weird stuff that this game doesn't have: Quad-legged 'Mechs, a whole set of 'Mechs called the Unseen (lawsuits have held them up), all the Clan stuff that happens much later in the timeline (and is pretty problematic from a lore perspective, honestly), and probably more that I don't even know about.

The Clans in particular are something that lots of people remember (due to them being the focal point of the MechWarrior series of games), but if you really remember the lore of those groups it becomes pretty hard to adapt to modern sensibilities. The Clans are essentially all about "pure" bloodlines and natural selection through combat in a way that reads VERY distinctly of white nationalism in today's America. Not that they couldn't retcon them or reinvent them as something else, but at least they have chose to sidestep that issue and all the associated conflicts in this game by not having them in it. Can't say I blame them. You get people mad either way with including them, and by not including them you don't have to address the issues with the old lore.
I meant setting/timeline-appropriate stuff.

You might want to check it out. Both universes were created by the same guy!
Get Earthdawn in there to complete the FASA trio.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to play, my dad and I backed the game and we're just so hype it's finally releasing.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, whats the average length of a typical mission? Any mention of campaign length?

Campaign is potentially endless from what I've seen if you just move around systems doing the non story missions. Average length of a mission is usually 20-45 minutes, with some outliers. You only ever control a lance (hope that changes in the future) at a time so things don't get too crazy.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first of two games coming in the next few weeks that I am hyped for. Hopefully I enjoy it as much as their Shadowrun games.

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
I'm going to scrounge up some stuff to trade for Steam credit so I can get this preordered tomorrow. Waiting until the last second, but it was my only option.

Dannerz

Dec 19, 2017
One does not simply complete God of War in time for Battletech. Will have to juggle both, I'm getting this day one. HBS too strong.

Junior

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm going to wait at least a year or two before picking this up knowing HBS's track record.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
This week makes me glad I'm not really a fan of the old God of War games. The new GOW/Zelda/Last of Us mashup looks fantastic enough as is, and I was sorely tempted to pick it up this weekend. But I was already really looking forward to this and Frostpunk on Tuesday, so I'm happy to let GOW chill. I'll grab it during the summer doldrums for sure though, it looks too damn good to miss.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
This week makes me glad I'm not really a fan of the old God of War games. The new GOW/Zelda/Last of Us mashup looks fantastic enough as is, and I was sorely tempted to pick it up this weekend. But I was already really looking forward to this and Frostpunk on Tuesday, so I'm happy to let GOW chill. I'll grab it during the summer doldrums for sure though, it looks too damn good to miss.

I'm trying to play both and I am in crunch time at work. FML.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Curious why you say this. I can't remember any glaring performance issues during the release of Shadowrun HK. Although, I didn't play Necropolis so I can't comment on that.
I'm assuming it's due to the re-releases they've done of their Shadowruns.

There's a bizarre notion that enhanced editions and director's cuts mean the base game was bad/unfinished, which generally isn't the case these days.
I'm having to send emails to my dad instructing him how to update his GPU and get steam running. What a strange feeling.
Can he come here and explain Battletech's combat system to me?

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
The artwork for the game is really amazing, I wish it made it's way more predominantly in the UI design. I'm really disappointing the character portraits use the basic 3D models that don't allow for much identity and can look quite off at times :/

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As long as the writting and the story is on par with the Shadowrun trilogy I'll be happy.

Now to think about how I'm going to juggle between this, GOW and my exams...

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
There's a bizarre notion that enhanced editions and director's cuts mean the base game was bad/unfinished, which generally isn't the case these days.

Yeah, I don't subscribe to that line of thought at all. Having completed Dragonfall twice, I can say even the pre-DC Dragonfall was pretty good on its own. If I were to critique HBS' past releases, I'd say it's more about their choice of Unity as the engine since I can't ever utilize exclusive fullscreen and/or downsampling in the past.

However in a recent Unity game I played, Shadow Tactics, exclusive fullscreen seems to work, including downsampling from 2160p. So I'm keen to see if Battletech can do the same.

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
I'm going to lock in my preorder for the deluxe edition tomorrow. I'm torn on where I want to purchase the game. GOG or Steam. I enjoy the playtime tracking on Steam, but I want to buy it where Harebrained Schemes would get the most profit, if that makes sense.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
What's a good Let's Play video that has a good overview of the systems of this game?

Most of the streams out there have campaign spoilers. Paradox put out some good ones on their YT channel.

The campaign involves running the day to day of your mercenary group:

You 'advance' by salvaging and/or buying better equipment, training your pilots, and raising both your mercenary rating and your relations with the various factions of the game. You can upgrade your dropship as well. Things like travel and repairs take time, meaning you must watch your cash reserves to ensure you have enough to get by.

A significant amount of time will be spent tinkering with your mech loadouts:

Mechs come in different weight classes, with each chassis having its own unique flavor. Weapons are a function of what you have in inventory and what type of hardpoints you have available on your mechs. You can put mechs you don't want in storage or simply sell them to try and keep a healthy cash reserve - you need to pay for the day to day after all.

The combat itself is very familiar to Xcom players, with the nuances of Battletech, like crits, ammo explosions, armor facing etc...
(reached my media limit): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDQIQ6-L_i0

The game should be easy to pick up and offer quite a bit of depth for newbies and veterans alike. If you are into more chill turn based games, this would be right up your ally.

etiira

Oct 25, 2017
v2o0P97.png

Should I be worried? I don't need the game to run super well, if it's a bit stuttery I don't mind(esp since it's turn based and all), I just want it to be playable.

Also, I just wanted to pop in and say hi! I've been on a bit of a blackout regarding the game, but I'm a big fan of the franchise going back to MWDA and backed this back in 2015 right away. I also think I may have the most stealth BT handle on this site?? MWDA got me interested in CBT, the wraith became my favorite battlemech and my username on MWDA forums. Eventually I lost that account and became Wraithtwo. When I was looking to change my handle again a decade or so back, I took the wraith's variant model(T(ea)R2(ii)) and rearranged the letters to form the handle I primarily use today.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Will take me a while until i can play this, still deep into GoW, but i'll make sure i do. After all i loved their previous Shadowrun games, especially Dragonfall.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't a fan of Shadowrun so I'll wait for reviews, but videos look really good -- the depth I was missing in SR seems to be there and XCOM EW / 2 are among my favorite games of the last decade or so.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm a little sad about the low number of weapons and the very lacking pilot customization in this, but I can't wait to get into the MechLab and try and recreate some of the very fun builds I used to run in the older Mechwarrior games.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Kickstarted this game and can't believe it's actually out. I'm very excited to check it out it looks amazing. I haven't looked into it much since then but how is the customisation in the game? For mechs and pilots.