• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey OP you should probably add this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1365402907 Very useful guide for newcomers (like me haha)!
I'll check it out and maybe add something.

You might want to check it out. Both universes were created by the same guy!
I don't like cyberpunk much, and even less if it has fantasy elements. There are very few cases where i like mix of scifi and fantasy.

Somewhat ironically, i don't actually like mechas other than BattleTech (and Starcraft's Goliaths and C&C's titans but those are minor parts).

Great OT.

I'm moderately hyped for this. Are we getting a review thread too?
Thanks.
Someone else can whip up a review thread. I'll add a link to the OP.

I'm a little sad about the low number of weapons and the very lacking pilot customization in this, but I can't wait to get into the MechLab and try and recreate some of the very fun builds I used to run in the older Mechwarrior games.

3025-era BattleTech has very few weapons.
That said, this game does have upgraded versions of weapons (same tonnage and size, AFAIK, but otherwise better). Also, there may be something more... but that goes to spoiler territory so i shut up now, because i don't want to know more than what i already may know.

Kickstarted this game and can't believe it's actually out. I'm very excited to check it out it looks amazing. I haven't looked into it much since then but how is the customisation in the game? For mechs and pilots.

'Mechs have limited customization. Armor and weapons and equipment, including upgrades not part of original board/tabletop game, such as upgraded melee fists. Engine, ie speed, is fixed to each 'Mech.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Man, a pretty vocal minority is extremely pissed about the pronoun option "They" in the character creator, huh?
Fucking pathetic

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there is tons of stuff in the Battletech Universe that isn't in this game. I think some of it is intentional. Setting the game in 3025 means we don't see anything Clan related or some of the later variant 'Mechs, and I think that's by design. However, there's nothing stopping them from making that stuff available later as DLC or in sequels. The universe has all sorts of weird stuff that this game doesn't have: Quad-legged 'Mechs, a whole set of 'Mechs called the Unseen (lawsuits have held them up), all the Clan stuff that happens much later in the timeline (and is pretty problematic from a lore perspective, honestly), and probably more that I don't even know about.
The Unseen exist in MWO and as models already. The current Harmony Gold caused lawsuit just prevented them being used in this game just in case. Outside the current court case, the Unseen issue is past, with 'Mechs having new art both on the tabletop side and otherwise.
As for Quads, unless MWO adds them (lol no chance), i very much doubt we'll see them here as DLC or even in sequels.
The Clans in particular are something that lots of people remember (due to them being the focal point of the MechWarrior series of games), but if you really remember the lore of those groups it becomes pretty hard to adapt to modern sensibilities. The Clans are essentially all about "pure" bloodlines and natural selection through combat in a way that reads VERY distinctly of white nationalism in today's America. Not that they couldn't retcon them or reinvent them as something else, but at least they have chose to sidestep that issue and all the associated conflicts in this game by not having them in it. Can't say I blame them. You get people mad either way with including them, and by not including them you don't have to address the issues with the old lore.
The Clan blood heritages don't really have anything to do with racial purity, me thinks. Race has never been part of BT really, hell, BT writers have even outlined this really, i believe one book noted "no one would bat an eye at a red-headed dark-skinned rabbi" or some such. The same very much applies to the Clans.
The Clans all about being a superior warrior, with anything outside being completely irrelevant. Genetics is a way for producing superior warriors consistently, but that is all. Some of the greatest warriors in BattleTech (like Kai Allard-Liao) are natural born humans, a fact even the Clans acknowledge. Yes, they do think Trueborn warriors are better than others, but at the same time a Trueborn failed warrior is less than a freeborn successful warrior, despite the latter not being genetically superior.

For all intents and purposes, despite them being humans, the Clans are aliens. They occupy slot in scifi that is usually occupied by alien aliens. A warlike conquering alien race first and foremost.

(Also never seen anyone compare the Clan "purity" to white nationalism. EDIT And i really can't see how ideas like genetic super warriors are difficult issues for "modern sensibilities". We see that stuff in Halo and other scifi works consistently, and no one ever really complains. It is part of scifi to explore ideas both good and bad, from different viewpoints. And do not mistake exploring a thing to endorsing or promoting it or even just regarding it it a good thing.)

Last edited:

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
What time can we preload?

What?

Yeah apparently harassment on forums and twitter of the devs and just them trying to paint a "this is SJW agenda!" picture.
you know, the usual outrage snowflake culture. hateful, spiteful, terrible.

Because moronic snowflakes are hurt by implication that transgender etc. other people exist.

EDIT I take it the character creator offers "he, she, they" as options?

Yes, it does. It literally effect nothing else except what pronoun is used for your character in text.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah apparently harassment on forums and twitter of the devs and just them trying to paint a "this is SJW agenda!" picture.
you know, the usual outrage snowflake culture. hateful, spiteful, terrible.

Yes, it does. It literally effect nothing else except what pronoun is used for your character in text.

Yeah, it's mindboggling how delicate these people are.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the he/she option in a let's play but not the "they". Makes me feels even better buying the game.

o7 to all the trans mechwarriors out there.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I spent 15 minutes looking for my backing information for this game. I couldn't find it in my KS profile, so I thought I probably backed it directly (as I often do when the option is available). But after combing through my emails I have come to the horrifying conclusion that I didn't actually back this. What was I thinking.

Anyway, I hope the launch goes well.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I spent 15 minutes looking for my backing information for this game. I couldn't find it in my KS profile, so I thought I probably backed it directly (as I often do when the option is available). But after combing through my emails I have come to the horrifying conclusion that I didn't actually back this. What was I thinking.

Anyway, I hope the launch goes well.
YOU GOTTA FIX IT!

TheBarbarian

Oct 30, 2017
Huge MechWarrior fan, but all I have is a laptop (new I7, mind) with integrated graphics. I'm going to cry lol

Talafas

Oct 27, 2017
The game looks great, but after watching a few lets plays i'm concerned about the difficulty and AI. Looks to be a little bit on the easy side. If this is the case i hope there will be some good mods that address this issue.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game looks great, but after watching a few lets plays i'm concerned about the difficulty and AI. Looks to be a little bit on the easy side. If this is the case i hope there will be some good mods that address this issue.
The AI was my worry in the beta. Haven't really watched any newer vids, but the way i understand it, the streams are mostly limited to earlier game content, the difficulty ramps up with the story apparently.
In the beta, the AI didn't really deal well with my style of defensive advance. That is, i picked defensive spots and waited for the AI to come, moving only to other defensive spots as necessary. And liberal use of focus fire. I did complain about the AI in every beta survey thing...
That said, i did often lose one or two 'Mechs at least, and the campaign will have vehicles and more 'Mechs as enemies so i expect it will be more difficult than the beta.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The thing is also that systems have different levels of difficulty. So if you hang out in like 2 star difficulty systems and take 1-2 star difficulty contracts only, then yeah it's all quite easy. But I bet once you get to the higher level stuff, things will ramp up.
The AI though will probably remain a little...dumb

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The AI was my worry in the beta. Haven't really watched any newer vids, but the way i understand it, the streams are mostly limited to earlier game content, the difficulty ramps up with the story apparently.
In the beta, the AI didn't really deal well with my style of defensive advance. That is, i picked defensive spots and waited for the AI to come, moving only to other defensive spots as necessary. And liberal use of focus fire. I did complain about the AI in every beta survey thing...
That said, i did often lose one or two 'Mechs at least, and the campaign will have vehicles and more 'Mechs as enemies so i expect it will be more difficult than the beta.

The streams also give a slightly poor impression of difficulty since early on, most OpFors you encounter have various maintenance-related debuffs that have them starting with 25/50/75% of total armor. So they go down fast.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Streamer was getting his ass handed to him last night in later systems. It gets harder.
Good. There are some real concerns that the one-size-fits-all difficulty is going to be a problem for the hardcore. I'm hoping we quickly see patches/mods that add a true (rather than self-enforced) Ironman mode, mechs being permanently lost if cored, etc.

I'm not a Battletech fan (I played the Mechwarrior games and tabletop once or twice), but I have been following this game pretty intensely, and spent about 20 hours just playing skirmishes against the AI in the beta, so if anyone needs any basic pointers or tips, I can help out. The systems are pretty deep and the tutorial seems ... incomplete, to say the least.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good. There are some real concerns that the one-size-fits-all difficulty is going to be a problem for the hardcore. I'm hoping we quickly see patches/mods that add a true (rather than self-enforced) Ironman mode, mechs being permanently lost if cored, etc

Kiva posted yesterday saying that that stuff is on the list for 'IN SUCCESS.' I know there's a strong internal desire from some of the devs to add Second Wave style customizations.

Oct 25, 2017
You sure? Because that sucks as I won't be home. Anyone know if you can make steam pre-load games via the phone app?

9am pst.

Heads Up! We'll be sending out #BATTLETECH Backer Keys over the weekend and @steam_games Backers and pre-orders will be able to preload on starting Mon, April 23 at 9am PDT!! #videogames

if steam is currently on and running, you can install games remotely. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6324-IGHC-5301

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Seems the game has lots of stutters and micro freezes :(
It freezes every time a mech blows up and often when turns change.
Didn't notice a lot of that during my 8 hours of playing it. There was a bit here and there, but definitely magnitutes less than say in XCOM 2 release version.
(SSD, i5-6600K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 970, max settings)

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Is the pvp only against AI ? I thought you could take on other players too ?
There is PvP, but it's fairly barebones. You and your opponent select (and customize, if you want) a lance of four mechs. Then you skirmish until one lance wipes. There's a set pool of maps and some modifiable rules around tonnage, turn timers, etc. And there's a lobby system to create and find matches. But no true matchmaking, no ladders or persistence, no MP campaigns. At least so far.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The minimum and recommended requirements are the same in the OP. Something wrong with it?

One big reason I can't get into Shadowrun (and a lot of other WRPGs) is that the game is too dark. Everything happens at night and it's just bad for my eyesight. This game seems a lot brighter, which gives me hope I will enjoy it.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
There is PvP, but it's fairly barebones. You and your opponent select (and customize, if you want) a lance of four mechs. Then you skirmish until one lance wipes. There's a set pool of maps and some modifiable rules around tonnage, turn timers, etc. And there's a lobby system to create and find matches. But no true matchmaking, no ladders or persistence, no MP campaigns. At least so far.

It was a stretch goal in the kickstarter campaign. Remember this is a fairly reasonable budget release. If things go well I could see them fleshing this out in an xpac.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
It was a stretch goal in the kickstarter campaign. Remember this is a fairly reasonable budget release. If things go well I could see them fleshing this out in an xpac.
Oh, I'm fine with it. I'd rather they nail the ruleset and gameplay (check) and the campaign (remains to be seen, but looks good) and build on that frame if and when they're able to.

I am worried that this game is going to get middling reviews just because of the pace and the opacity of some of its systems. Watching most streamers struggle with decision-making has not been heartening.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6muizsa.gif

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
v2o0P97.png

Should I be worried? I don't need the game to run super well, if it's a bit stuttery I don't mind(esp since it's turn based and all), I just want it to be playable.

Also, I just wanted to pop in and say hi! I've been on a bit of a blackout regarding the game, but I'm a big fan of the franchise going back to MWDA and backed this back in 2015 right away. I also think I may have the most stealth BT handle on this site?? MWDA got me interested in CBT, the wraith became my favorite battlemech and my username on MWDA forums. Eventually I lost that account and became Wraithtwo. When I was looking to change my handle again a decade or so back, I took the wraith's variant model(T(ea)R2(ii)) and rearranged the letters to form the handle I primarily use today.

Just turn settings down. Its a turn based game. Nothing is really going to be that demanding with the graphics down.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also think I may have the most stealth BT handle on this site??
Not even a hardcore fan of BattleTech can decipher your name, me thinks :P Stealth indeed.

Speaking of the Wraith, i kinda hope it would get added to MWO at some point, that way it could be seen in potential sequels for this. A good harasser 'Mech, one of the few good FWL 'Mechs (good meaning "both functionally good and good looking").

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
And now it sits there, taunting me. Mocking me.
I'm in the same boat. It's all preloaded and I need more patience. Tomorrow I work 8-5pm, and it's our youngest kiddo's birthday, he's turning 9 years old. First and foremost, his party and presents will be first. After the kids are in bed, I'll finally have time to jump into the game.