• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Beta for patch 1.2:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...attletech-update-1-2-0-release-notes.1115763/
Lots of bug fixes and some UI tweaks. No major additions though.
New Events. A number of new mercenary events have been added to the game.
Combat Morale replaced with Resolve. Players now gain a consistent amount of Resolve every round of combat, and can use it to activate Precision Strike and Vigilance. The amount of Resolve gained each round is determined by the Morale on board your ship.
Improvements to save game management.
New Prologue Skip Option. Added the ability to skip the opening missions and cinematics of the campaign and skip to your first mission as a mercenary commander, helping a group of miners.
Tw2POv.gif

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The flashpoints sound very interesting. I'm fully onboard for this expansion.

Keep up the excellent work, HBS.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I missed the biggest news, in the memorial wall.

Dekker
latest

2995-3025

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a KS update about the patch, and a link to a dev diary about upcoming changes to MW abilities:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...aries-1-mechwarrior-ability-revision.1116566/

Sensor lock got "buffed" (not enough for me to consider even using it unless i really don't have any other reasonable options), Bulwark got reworked, Juggernaut got cut and replaced with Coolant Vents, among other things. But nothing final, there's beta for these.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still playing this a lot. Latest beta is great, especially some of the smaller UI tweaks and improvements. Performance is still a little shaky (both in-mission and menu sluggishness), but hey. The abilities rework is a mixed bag, but probably a step in the right direction on balance.

This is probably my game of the year at this point.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
There was a KS update about the patch, and a link to a dev diary about upcoming changes to MW abilities:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...aries-1-mechwarrior-ability-revision.1116566/

Sensor lock got "buffed" (not enough for me to consider even using it unless i really don't have any other reasonable options), Bulwark got reworked, Juggernaut got cut and replaced with Coolant Vents, among other things. But nothing final, there's beta for these.
Man some of these changes would be hard to adjust to, but they are very welcome. Sensor Lock had battle utility early on helping you to hit lighter mechs with whatever limited alpha strike you had available, but quickly lost utility later on as the matches became stationary slugfests.

It'd be a huge adjustment to see Bulwark changed, but it more or less killed the flow of the endgame for me. Changing it to reinforcing brace/vigilance will make bracing a much more viable tactic, which should greatly change things up.

I enjoyed Juggernaut early on and especially for the short time after getting some grasshoppers loaded with support weapons, but it was completely useless once assaults started showing up and initiative was more or less a formality. Coolant Vent sounds nuts, and could be fun. Being able to alpha a couple of times on a hot environment could get you out of a pinch and add utility to having a lot of health. Would miss knocking people into next week though.

I'm not so sure about their idea for Sure Footing. I find knockdowns to be very fun and satisfying, and it's already getting harder and harder. I understand the need for it, but I wouldn't like the enemy having a bunch of sure footed assaults walking around.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all about the updates, but I'm waiting until they coalesce into a more final state before starting a campaign again.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Man some of these changes would be hard to adjust to, but they are very welcome. Sensor Lock had battle utility early on helping you to hit lighter mechs with whatever limited alpha strike you had available, but quickly lost utility later on as the matches became stationary slugfests.

That's the one major problem I had with the game. Once assaults get into the game it's just slug fests, the missions also lacked variety then. It got boring, and the assault slug fests just feel so drawn out tedious. They expansion update sounds nice with trying to promote more ways to play, kinda wished it was in at launch. For new people buying into the game I think it's gonna be a better experience for them with the flashpoints and new encounter types mixed in.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the one major problem I had with the game. Once assaults get into the game it's just slug fests, the missions also lacked variety then. It got boring, and the assault slug fests just feel so drawn out tedious. They expansion update sounds nice with trying to promote more ways to play, kinda wished it was in at launch. For new people buying into the game I think it's gonna be a better experience for them with the flashpoints and new encounter types mixed in.
I'm going to have to agree with this. I still enjoyed the hell out of it- probably my favorite of the year? - but the end game really did favor all Assault teams it felt like.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wouldn't be such a problem if they just kept a spread of 2-5 skull missions available post story. what's the point of 18 mech berths anyway? also mechwarriors with 100k experience after going 10, 10, 10, 10. i hope the expansion blows open the post game.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
wouldn't be such a problem if they just kept a spread of 2-5 skull missions available post story. what's the point of 18 mech berths anyway? also mechwarriors with 100k experience after going 10, 10, 10, 10. i hope the expansion blows open the post game.

Right, the idea of prolonged campaigns without repair between missions like the expansion is putting in should have been part of the game. Have mission variety that had varied objectives, sometimes limits placed upon them. Dont make it easy to just sit back and wait for your important mechs to get repaired, there needed to be a penalty for wasting time in a war.

With saved games also really many people often would just reload if they lost a pilot, so having a huge selection of Mechwarriors wasnt needed also as players didn't want to lose their max stated characters. The long term game was not well thought out sadly.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the devs fell into same trap as happened with MW4Mercs (not sure if this happened with MW2Mercs). That is, they allowed players to be rich, badass mercs with all the elite gear, instead of being realistic mercs, always struggling to make do, always recruiting people because pilots keep dying (or leaving for whatever reason, like late payment [this could be an interesting outcome of random events actually, pilots leaving your service]).

And, there should not be light to assault 'Mechs progression, but rather there should be missions across the game that demand all sorts of things. Either within one mission, or there should have been more mission types that require player to send down appropriate equipment. And there should've been a possibility of specializing more. How about a merc unit that specializes on light 'Mechs and fast attacks? Or medium generalist team. Etc.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't think its a hard ask, you can open up a dozen 2-5 skulls missions right now with some .json editing. the only thing missing is a hard tonnage limit for low skull missions, but even that is unnecessary, i mean, if we want to bring a steiner scout lance into a 2 skull mission, we should be able to. ;) we've beat the game, let us free-for-all now. but no, 2 contracts per planet, 5 skulls only. bleh.

Oct 26, 2017
A few months ago I asked if it was time to jump into Battletech, and was warned that there was a major patch coming out and I should wait. So I am back now---is it time to suit up yet?

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a date on the new big update? I've been deciding between this or Divinity Original Sin 2. If this one needs to cook a little longer, I can start with Original Sin.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
that's the new paid expansion. the update everyone talked about already dropped. the next big update is coming up.
Honestly, the game's main problem (IMO) is that the actual tactical gameplay feels way too samey, because every unit is some variation of "shoot guns/missiles" unless you deliberately build a "punch/kick" unit, and melee combat barely exists beyond that. Since melee is basically all the Hatchetman does, HBS should have fleshed that out and made it a viable alternative play style, which helps break up the monotony of going through all those missions.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, the idea of prolonged campaigns without repair between missions like the expansion is putting in should have been part of the game. Have mission variety that had varied objectives, sometimes limits placed upon them. Dont make it easy to just sit back and wait for your important mechs to get repaired, there needed to be a penalty for wasting time in a war.
I think the devs fell into same trap as happened with MW4Mercs (not sure if this happened with MW2Mercs). That is, they allowed players to be rich, badass mercs with all the elite gear, instead of being realistic mercs, always struggling to make do, always recruiting people because pilots keep dying (or leaving for whatever reason, like late payment [this could be an interesting outcome of random events actually, pilots leaving your service]).

And, there should not be light to assault 'Mechs progression, but rather there should be missions across the game that demand all sorts of things. Either within one mission, or there should have been more mission types that require player to send down appropriate equipment. And there should've been a possibility of specializing more. How about a merc unit that specializes on light 'Mechs and fast attacks? Or medium generalist team. Etc.
All absolutely awesome suggestions and revisions. Perhaps there will be some mods to account for such slights... Or future balancing is possible. They seem extremely receptive to positive change. That being said-

that's the new paid expansion. the update everyone talked about already dropped. the next big update is coming up. that said, go ahead and suit up. the game was playable from release, nothing was game breaking about it.
- I of course greatly agree with this as well. Fifty five hours between one and a half playthroughs (failed the first attempt) and I absolutely adored it.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All absolutely awesome suggestions and revisions. Perhaps there will be some mods to account for such slights... Or future balancing is possible. They seem extremely receptive to positive change. That being said-
the mods are already out there. the biggest one is roguetech. and boy is that one a doozy. hyper customization on mechs, dozens of new weapons and equipment, special mechs, a full star map, they even managed to add the marauder and warhammer in.
- I of course greatly agree with this as well. Fifty five hours between one and a half playthroughs (failed the first attempt) and I absolutely adored it.
psssh, get on my level: 125 hrs. lol. anyway, what i want is to make some of these ideas official, i've been playing the same merc team since the beginning and i've kind of gotten attached to them. like i said i've got a few mercs at 10, 10, 10, 10 plus unused 100k xp. that and i keep adding new hires and customizing them into doppelgangers of people i know in real life, just to keep things interesting. hahaha. i'm really hoping there's something in the new expansion for players that've gone deep in the post game.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Love the game, the core of it is great too, they just needed more and more thought put into the later game aspect. The first expansion looks like its adding some of what could be needed with new mission types, and the prolonged campaign system of connected missions.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Unfortunately it is unlikely they'd retrofit existing (especially campaign) missions to the new system...

The new mission type designed around light/med mechs and territory control is an encounter, so it should be mixed into the general game's rotation of random missions I imagine. The campaign is preset so that isn't going to change.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new mission type designed around light/med mechs and territory control is an encounter, so it should be mixed into the general game's rotation of random missions I imagine. The campaign is preset so that isn't going to change.
yeah, and that's disappointing. Always the most disappointing thing about game expansions is that the new features aren't retroactive, even though they'd improve things. I get that it is a lot of work, plus would require maintaining vanilla and modified campaigns. But still...

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Looking at the transition between Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall, I think we are in for a treat with the next major game in the Battletech series published by Paradox. Of course, the scale of production is much higher this time around, but I think we can expect great things. At least that's what I hope.

I actually hope they never stop making Battletech :P

Last edited:

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
How much space do you need to download the latest patch? I have 18 GB free and it won't let me download their damn 2GB patch lol

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
Saw this on the Steam forums. A German website has details regarding Flashpoint

Steam forum thread: https://steamcommunity.com/app/637090/discussions/0/1735464254636420743/

article link: https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/bat...euer-sandstrand-mit-mehr-sandbox,3334280.html

• [*]DLC is expected to release on Nov 2018 at 20 EUR.

[*]Free features - new rare equipments, career mode that put you right into sandbox, and add tonnage limit to contracts.

[*]Skill revamp is underway (and can already be tested in beta branch). Morale is also being reviewed and may become skill or ability requirements.

[*]Paid DLC get flashpoints, timed and has known difficulty, with up to five missions and may have no repair time between deployments. Existence of consecutive deployments is also known in advance.

[*]Each flashpoints will have a procedurally generated mini-story with decisions to make. Lostech is mentioned as a potential reward for bonus objectives.

[*]DLC also has the three new mechs, sand beaches, and spores as a new terrain feature that seems to be more interactive than passive terrain.

[*]The new mission type has a turn timer. HBS says it's a commonly requested feature. A mission to capture three zones in eight turns is demo'ed.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm waiting for the DLC to go on sale as well, by that time they should have a few patches and balances for its effects already live.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got an idea.

Light mechs are kinda bad, a major issue is that they have paper thin skin that high evasion value cannot save. You will be hit sooner or later. Armor is life (especially given that the enemy usually outnumbers the player). Light warload isn't as much of an issue, careful use (eg aimed shots, backstabbing) can deal perhaps enough damage, especially if you are able to stay alive.
So, let's make evasion value grant damage reduction, possibly on top of evasion value. So, even if you get hit, your high speed means it was a glancing blow and dealt reduced damage.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I guess we should wait and see how patch 1.3 and the Flashpoint DLC affects light and medium mech viability.
I think your idea, Woorloog, would light mechs tankier even though they aren't supposed to be that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, well, without varied mission design, tonnage limits, or the like in base game and with 'Mech progression (which should not be a thing), lights need something to be of use. And giving them tankiness is basically the only simple option i can think off, merely boosting ability to evade doesn't really solve anything.

Maybe the revamped MW abilities will help but i'm doubtful about that.

As it is, while mediums aren't useful in the late game either, during early and mid-game they can most certainly do anything lights can usually, and often better.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I got an idea.

Light mechs are kinda bad, a major issue is that they have paper thin skin that high evasion value cannot save. You will be hit sooner or later. Armor is life (especially given that the enemy usually outnumbers the player). Light warload isn't as much of an issue, careful use (eg aimed shots, backstabbing) can deal perhaps enough damage, especially if you are able to stay alive.
So, let's make evasion value grant damage reduction, possibly on top of evasion value. So, even if you get hit, your high speed means it was a glancing blow and dealt reduced damage.
That'd just make heavier 'Mechs even better, though. They can get evasion just the same. It'd also be infuriating to fight against IMO.

I think a fix similar to what was used in XCOM 2: War of the Chosen would be ideal. Basically, it's some way to send a skeleton crew on missions requiring speed, and a way to give a B-team work without sidelining them all the time. They'd be missions with punishing turn limits, such that only lights could really work out, but would also not require a full Lance; perfect for situations where most of your Lance is out of commission after a fierce battle, or when money is tight. It needn't replace anything, instead it could augment the existing game.

Another thought, what if light 'Mechs could move after attacking by default? It's been a while so I can't think of how gamebreaking that might be but it sure sounds like a decent perk to me right now. Especially since, IIRC, that perk is (potentially) out of pilot's hands now. It would let them maintain evasion and offensive capabilities, even once mediums and heavies get into place. They won't stand up against heavier 'Mechs, but they're not supposed to so I don't think that's bad.

Improved mission design is absolutely essential for light 'Mechs either way, though.

Edit: Vela's thread makes me think HBS are on the right track. It all still sounds so good.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Evasion DR value could be tailored per weight or even tonnage class, possibly modified by speed for lights (ie slow light gets higher DR more easily).

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So, did anyone here try RogueTech? It looks pretty overloaded but I'm yearning for some Mech action.
I've been watching Molten Metal play through it. Seems super interesting. I still have the main SP to complete, but will totally try it. Is it a separate mod or built in that he can sprint and shoot? Seems a little cheaty

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching Molten Metal play through it. Seems super interesting. I still have the main SP to complete, but will totally try it. Is it a separate mod or built in that he can sprint and shoot? Seems a little cheaty
it is part of the mod. nice to see someone else here watching the daily dose.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
it is part of the mod. nice to see someone else here watching the daily dose.
I'm only on ep 4, but MM is awesome at showcasing the strategy in this game. So far my playthrough has been pretty brute force, but watching how he reserves and manages facing and spacing makes me want to really evaluate how I've been playing. His tabletop knowledge and immediate recognition of unknown missiles flying in is really interesting that that old knowledge is so applicable to the game. I'm still trying to figure out how to build a mech, so I feel I learn a lot from his play.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dived into mods for the first time today after watching my friend play-

OlKs.gif

Wartech adds warring factions, AIM improves the UI to be much more tactical and responsive and shows the real hit chance,
Simple LosTech Recurrence
allows for lore friendly instances I want, Arm Weaponry Can Survive allows for recovering that which you sever, not vaporize, More Knockdowns accounts for doing 60% Stability damage to a 50% stable mech, sound replacements import some familiar weapon FX, Better Sorting for items, Aint Got Time To Bleed allows injured pilots to deploy injured if you have enough MedPoints, a Better Juggernaut perk to make it worth it, the Vehicle Improvement Project to add more variation to campaign NPC enemies-

My oh my oh my. My GOTY just became more GOTY-er.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to jump in and try to finalize a working build before the Flashpoint DLC enters and changes up the game to the point that they'll be totally outdated.

Random mechs and pilots at the start though? Hoo boy, finally. Mods da gawd.