• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I'm confused. Some of my mechs gain 25% damage reduction after a normal move. Is this part of the ability revision beta? If yes, then I don't know which.
Edit: I'm stupid, the mechs just auto brace out of combat.

Last edited:

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Wow, with the custom campaign settings things can get pretty tough.
5 parts for mechs, empty mech on construction, low salvage and low payment. I still have the four medium mechs that you get early in the game and haven't managed to build any additional medium mechs, lol.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
interesting...

HBS has a lot of job openings right now for major positions like art director and senior producer.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
interesting...

HBS has a lot of job openings right now for major positions like art director and senior producer.

IIRC, it was mentioned somewhere that a lot of lead(?) roles went unfulfilled due to budget(??), so when Paradox bought them it let them finally fill those spots.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How goo of a computer do you need to play this? I dropped out of PC gaming awhile ago and now just have a surface pro 4 but if I was going to build or buy something to play this, how good does it need to be?

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
How goo of a computer do you need to play this? I dropped out of PC gaming awhile ago and now just have a surface pro 4 but if I was going to build or buy something to play this, how good does it need to be?
I have a four year old computer that I bought for about €1000 and it runs fine on the highest settings at 1080p. For the most part at least. With lots of stuff going on it can drop a bit.
So a mid range rig should do fine.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Nice for those who have been waiting. And good to see that localization is happening still.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Mechwarrior Online just announced that they'll have the Warhammer IIC soon. This solidies the outcome of the legal case with Harmony Gold...

I haven't seen this mech since Mechwarrior 2 in 1995. Back then it looked like this:

mw2icewarhammer.gif

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Well, I can't say that anything shown in the stream blew my socks of.
The hatchet just increases melee damage, the combat computer of the cyclops increases resolve and the Crab is just a mech with lasers.
The flash point mission was ok, though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the hatchet wouldn't do anything but increase damage. That's what it does in tabletop BT, though it is also more accurate than a punch. I can see it being a bit lackluster here though, as the game doesn't model separate melee attacks and their potential hit locations... plus the Hatchetman isn't terribly good chassis for the weapon itself, as the 'Mech is too slow to get in close quickly, and too light to deal significant damage (for example the Atlas punches harder than the Hatchetman's axe).

Pity the game doesn't have TSM but if they ever do a Fourth Succession War expansion... For those who don't know, Triple-Strength Myomer is an enhancement that increases 'Mechs speed, carrying capacity and melee damage once the 'Mech runs at certain heat level. The melee damage increase is significant, it doubles the melee damage.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the hatchet wouldn't do anything but increase damage. That's what it does in tabletop BT, though it is also more accurate than a punch. I can see it being a bit lackluster here though, as the game doesn't model separate melee attacks and their potential hit locations... plus the Hatchetman isn't terribly good chassis for the weapon itself, as the 'Mech is too slow to get in close quickly, and too light to deal significant damage (for example the Atlas punches harder than the Hatchetman's axe).
Yeah, you really need the ability to have every melee attack be a called shot for the Hatchetman to viable in this game. You're not going to be able to rely on the default melee aiming to do anything useful, like remove a leg or side torso, and if you're just going to beat on something until it dies, you'd be better off with a longer range build.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK, Career Mode sounds nice. I'm not particularly interested in replaying the campaign, but a career mode game and flashpoints and all that stuff? Sure, why not.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Career mode would be cool for a replay along with the new expansion content. If they keep adding to the game, the career mode would allow for some fun replays

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing i really wish the game would get is ability to choose faction and work for them. Either at start or during gameplay. Hell, throw in "operations", larger collections of missions that result in systems changing allegiance. Would allow for stuff like "self-imposed challenge: Help faction X to conquer most of the map in 1200 days".

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Have they stated how many variants of the 3 new mechs we are getting? With the time frame think there's only one Hatchetman available. Do hope they find a way to move the timeline forward to add more mech variants for variety, but imagine they might be saving the timeline jump for a sequel to this game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have they stated how many variants of the 3 new mechs we are getting? With the time frame think there's only one Hatchetman available. Do hope they find a way to move the timeline forward to add more mech variants for variety, but imagine they might be saving the timeline jump for a sequel to this game.
I haven't heard of variants but then again i haven't followed things closely.

Assuming no new variants are on table, then the Hatchetman has 1 variant (HCT-3F), the Crab has 1 variant (CRB-20, a Succession Wars downgrade of the original), and the Cyclops has 2 reasonable variants (the usual CP-10-Z, and the CP-10-Q that swaps the AC/20 for a missile launcher and extra armor). There is also one unreasonable Cyclops variant that carries a mobile command post, but there's no chance it will be in this game.

I do not think they will move the timeline onward unless they have bigger expansion planned, logically such thing would be about the Fourth Succession War though, so not many new variants.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just to double check, the expansions are free for backers right? Can't wait for the flashpoints.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I haven't heard of variants but then again i haven't followed things closely.

Assuming no new variants are on table, then the Hatchetman has 1 variant (HCT-3F), the Crab has 1 variant (CRB-20, a Succession Wars downgrade of the original), and the Cyclops has 2 reasonable variants (the usual CP-10-Z, and the CP-10-Q that swaps the AC/20 for a missile launcher and extra armor). There is also one unreasonable Cyclops variant that carries a mobile command post, but there's no chance it will be in this game.

I do not think they will move the timeline onward unless they have bigger expansion planned, logically such thing would be about the Fourth Succession War though, so not many new variants.

If they go the Shadowrun route, they might be just doing small expansions at most for this and be working on a full fledged sequel. Moving the timeline up would take a big expansion to make all the changes needed, it would add tons of new equipment, mechs, change the map geography as well as dealing with their current campaign structure

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I laughed a bit at this:

The catch, of course, is that there's no end point to the game. You can keep playing as long as you want, letting decades of game-time pass. To make scores meaningful, we needed to limit that open-endedness. So we've added a time limit of 1200 days. You can keep playing after that, but at 1200 days we calculate your final score and display your final ranking, and then we stop tracking score. This means that if you choose, you can compare your final results with others, share screenshots of your ultimate ranking, and compete to try to beat the scores of others.

Why 1200 days? Because that puts the game date somewhere around mid-3028, and we're well aware of the lore events of 3028...

Just to double check, the expansions are free for backers right? Can't wait for the flashpoints.

No they aren't. Expansions weren't mentioned at all during the Kickstarter and none of the rewards include any hint at it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And GoG season pass link
https://www.gog.com/game/battletech_season_pass

So, normal prices are 50€ for season pass or 20€ per expansion. Season pass on sale is 40€. Pretty good, especially since i'd be getting about 5€ store credit too. (Or would using dollars be cheaper for me? I can't recall how much i pay for conversion, probably should check my bank's fees... EDIT Right, looks like euro is cheaper for me at the moment.)

Of course, it is possible one could wait and get things for much cheaper.

Conflicted. I'm doubtful the first expansion is worth its full price. Combined with other stuff, perhaps (assuming expansion contents work together as well as stand-alone), but that's gonna take forever.
When would the third expansion launch? If one takes the timeline at face value, it could take longer but also be bigger. On the other hand, half a year separation indicates the third expansion is probably late 2019 or early 2020.

And now that i know there's gonna be an expansion next year as well, i'm tempted to just keep ignoring the game until at least the second expansion.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
And now that i know there's gonna be an expansion next year as well, i'm tempted to just keep ignoring the game until at least the second expansion.
That's what I'm thinking as well. I recently tried a second playthrough and gave up halfway through. It just becomes a bit too repetitive. Flashpoint should help, but I don't think it will be enough. So I will play the wait-and-see game for now.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the season pass is on sale for limited time, and i'm highly doubtful it will go on sale anytime soon again. At least, DLC/season passes rarely seems to be on sale for games i've followed in the past...

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
There's no way in hell I'll pay for content that will be out in a year or so. Especially when we don't even know what it'll be :P
The season pass and the single DLC packs will be on sale like all other content. I wouldn't worry about it.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's a steep price.

Conflicted. I'm doubtful the first expansion is worth its full price. Combined with other stuff, perhaps (assuming expansion contents work together as well as stand-alone), but that's gonna take forever.
Agreed. Modding is fixing more for me than this proposed expansion's announced content...

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Battletech's main problem, IMO, is that the gameplay styles are way too limited without a proper melee combat system and with the kind of shitty pilot skill setup for you to get the kind of tactical gameplay diversity that an XCOM game has. They had a chance to fix that with Flashpoint, but they wiffed hard.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Battletech's main problem, IMO, is that the gameplay styles are way too limited without a proper melee combat system and with the kind of shitty pilot skill setup for you to get the kind of tactical gameplay diversity that an XCOM game has. They had a chance to fix that with Flashpoint, but they wiffed hard.
What do you mean "proper melee combat"?
Because if they'd go tabletop route, your options would be punch or kick, and kick is superior in most cases by far. OK, there could be club as well, but that's worthless due to time required to pick one up (and animation complexity would mean it is not worth it). Charge could be possible, though as with DFA, it isn't necessarily very smart move. And pushing wouldn't work in this game since there are no real falls, though i suppose it could deal massive stability damage without physical damage for immediate knockdown (not worthwhile trade-off IMO).
Don't really see how options like this would make melee more viable. Melee weapons tend to be waste of tonnage because kicks are free and powerful.

In any case, melee is and always has been a desperation move and a cinematic thing, mostly there because you got piles of junk beating each other because are so close anyway, rather than true combat style within BattleTech.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not into tabletop or anything, I think Battletech is really close to being ~~~perfect~~~ with just some adjustments/additions to the campaign and mission structure. And with what's been revealed on the road ahead so far, I think they're ironing out that path to perfection.

Not sure about the season pass yet, but I do totally dig their direction. The Paradox backing is paying off.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Melee has never been much of a part of Battletech, it just is an option with only a rare few mechs that could even really perform good in melee terms.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a KS update but it basically just sums all info for what's coming next. Still, copying it here because it is pretty useful if one hasn't followed things.

Patch 1.3 looks reasonably meaty at a glance.

Arriving November 27: BATTLETECH: Flashpoint Expansion, Free 1.3 Update, and Localization Beta! Flashpoint Pre-Orders and Season Pass Now Available
Posted by Harebrained Schemes LLC (Creator)
We're excited to announce that BATTLETECH: Flashpoint, our very first BATTLETECH Expansion, will launch on November 27th!
Flashpoint adds new gameplay, endgame depth, 'Mechs, and over 30 hours of new Flashpoint content to your mercenary experience. It's available now for Pre-Purchase on Steam for 10% off. For more about Flashpoint, check out this new video overview with Mitch!

We've also made a new Season Pass available, which includes Flashpoint AND our next two BATTLETECH Expansions. (The next Expansion, we're excited to announce, will be titled Urban Warfare - we aren't ready to share any details on that just yet, but hopefully the name gives some idea what to expect from it. : ) The Season Pass will normally be $49.99 (a $10 savings) but for this week only it's on pre-sale for only $39.99 on Steam, GoG, and Paradox Plaza.

BATTLETECH Update 1.3 Details

Our next free update for BATTLETECH will also launch on November 27th! Update 1.3 adds and improves a bunch of stuff in the base game, including:

• An all-new Career Mode - Career Mode challenges you to begin the game with the Argo in a random system, with a random group of MechWarriors, with no story missions to rely on for big payouts. You wander the Periphery, taking contracts (and Flashpoints, if you have Flashpoint!) and managing your mercenary company to earn a final score. Career mode is played in Ironman mode by default, so it is also possible to "lose" this mode unrecoverably.
  • Revamped MechWarrior abilities - We heard a bunch of feedback about the Bulwark ability and how you HAD to take it to finish the campaign and it got us thinking… and then revising Bulwark… and realizing that we should just rebalance the whole dang thing. Then we put it out as an opt-in Beta and got some great feedback - thanks! We've been working on it ever since and we'll release the revised abilities in 1.3.
  • Revisions to the Reputation System - We've increased the rate at which reputation rises and falls so you can really feel the effects of your actions. When you reach the maximum possible reputation with a faction, you become eligible for an Alliance. By entering into an Alliance, you mark yourself an ally of that faction - and an enemy of that faction's enemies. In addition to making higher difficulty contracts and salvage available, Alliances also allow you to access faction-specific stores containing items you might not find anywhere else.
  • Black Market stores - If you play your cards right, criminal elements will allow you to buy access to the Black Market, where you'll find some equipment that fell off a transport...
  • More Events, including cameos from two Legendary MechWarriors (these were part of our social sharing Backer reward from the Kickstarter, and we expect the other two cameos to make it into the next free update.)
  • New mercenary contracts - now you can take jobs from Pirates!
  • New inventory items, including rare LosTech from before the fall of the Star League!
  • And lots more bugfixes and quality of life improvements (like the ability to drag & drop 'Mechs in the Mech Bay!)
If you haven't played in a while, also check out all the new features and improvements we've already added to the game in our free 1.1 Update and 1.2 Update. And we'll be continuing to release free updates at a similar cadence next year.

Localization Beta Incoming (French, German, and Russian)

We know it's been a long road for Backers awaiting localized versions of the game, and we really appreciate your patience. QA testing for localization is going well, and we're planning to release a public Localization Beta branch on Steam and GOG by the end of November. We're targeting November 27th, to release this Beta alongside Flashpoint and Update 1.3, but it may end up being slightly staggered to accommodate testing schedules. This opt-in branch will include French, German, and Russian localization of the base game (including the 1.3 update), as well as localization of Flashpoint for Flashpoint owners.

We expect the Localization Beta to remain open for at least a couple weeks, after which Localization will exit Beta and be released as a free update to the game on all distribution platforms.

Linux

Last month we released a Steam Beta branch of the Linux version of BATTLETECH. Thank you to everyone who's tested on that branch! We expect the Linux version to exit Beta on November 27th as part of the 1.3 Update on all distribution platforms.

And that's the news, folks! We can't wait for November 27th, and we're excited to already be diving into our next free update and pre-production on Urban Warfare.

-HBS

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Career mode sounds great for replaying, also like you get random location start and you can become allied to a faction and enemy of their enemy essentially. Also nice to see them adding in a little new free content also into the game using these updates. I look forward to a career mode replay once the Flashpoint content is added

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"New inventory items, including rare LosTech from before the fall of the Star League!"

I had a mod that slowly allowed for the resurgence of LosTech across the map as time progressed, felt really organic and natural. I hope this might be following that same idea?