• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no chance they're gonna make this game company-sized. They were very specific about finding a lance to be a "sweet spot". Complete nonsense IMO, since single lance in a game like this promotes going heavy-assault. A company has more flexibility than a lance.

Also don't think they're gonna make vehicles either. BattleTech is about 'Mechs, vehicles exists to be stomped mostly.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
So no news on the next expansions? They sold a season pass with two more expansions to come and there has been zero news on anything in months?

Its nice if you plan to play the free form mode and not do the campaign, but it's not a big expansion, I would wait for a sale
The Urban Combat expansion is still slated for a summer release. I have to expect that we''ll begin seeing more info on it in the coming months.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
I can't imagine how slow the game would be at company size, matches are already slow enough.

I think the time per match could drastically be sped up, pauses between animations take far too long, waiting for audio cues, I love this game but it needs a hard optimization pass. If that can get cleared up I think 8 mechs wouldn't be a stretch at all. Xcom uses 6 units at a time, and LW allows a lot more to be fielded, I don't see why a lance of 4 is so limiting unless the UI/Game itself can't support it.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
I think the time per match could drastically be sped up, pauses between animations take far too long, waiting for audio cues, I love this game but it needs a hard optimization pass. If that can get cleared up I think 8 mechs wouldn't be a stretch at all. Xcom uses 6 units at a time, and LW allows a lot more to be fielded, I don't see why a lance of 4 is so limiting unless the UI/Game itself can't support it.
Honestly, this game's problem is that the gameplay options are so limited that even with the animation pauses reduced, the combat devolves into a boring slog as you whittle down your enemies' armor/try to neutralize them. That's why I keep saying the game needs a melee combat system derived from the called shots system, because it needs something to make fighting more interesting (and possibly faster) than "move and shoot guns/missiles".

It's basically the same problem a lot of the non-XCOM turn based strategy games have - if you don't provide multiple active/activatable abilities that have different tactical effects and animations, the combat system doesn't have enough variety to sustain the player's interest over a long playthrough.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
Honestly, this game's problem is that the gameplay options are so limited that even with the animation pauses reduced, the combat devolves into a boring slog as you whittle down your enemies' armor/try to neutralize them. That's why I keep saying the game needs a melee combat system derived from the called shots system, because it needs something to make fighting more interesting (and possibly faster) than "move and shoot guns/missiles".

It's basically the same problem a lot of the non-XCOM turn based strategy games have - if you don't provide multiple active/activatable abilities that have different tactical effects and animations, the combat system doesn't have enough variety to sustain the player's interest over a long playthrough.

I hear that. I think it could be offset by pre-mission planning and an expanded strategic option system, which I would hope gets expanded at least with hypothetical 'Battletech 2', andwhy I think the game suffers most from the setting it's currently in. Mechs are introduced in this game's lore specifically as ultra-rare, yet I'm coring 6-12 a day, and usually with RNG it's mainly the same 8, and the Weapon selection comes in an extremely limited, as well as mech variety and ammo types.

The top three things for me that would blow this game out of the water and make me love it would be:
  1. More mechs. If I see another Centurion/Kintaro/Catapult I'll roll my eyes, and just core ASAP and skip the salvage. I've seen maybe one enforcer in the 95ish hours I've played. They won the court case, where are the Unseen? The Raven?
  2. Mech Variety. They've starting dipping into this with the Cyclops, but almost every mech should have a quirk or a specialty. Maybe the Centurions left arm has added armor points available as it's a shield arm? Trebs automatically get a free LRM5 with 60 ammo for free built into the design, Crabs can use it's reverse joints to duce, and get an evasion bonus or a extra cover bonus, etc. Thinking what makes give me what synergys or cool quirks that cater to my playstyle would help a lot
  3. Ammo/Weapon Variety. Battletech vanilla is pretty barebones to weapons. (Thanks 3025). Adding ammo types would shift that to more decision based loadouts. LBX ammo for autocannons means you get a more powerful shot, but the damage is spread over multiple parts, inferno srms don't do as much damage, but add a little heat. Maybe change medium pulse lasers from a straight 25 damage, to maybe 7x3 damage, but give it 3 chances to crit to differentiate it from a regular medium laser.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Urban expansion announced. Seems about similar size to Flashpoints with 2 new mechs. 3 new enemy vehicles, new flashpoints, and new mission type. Electronic warfare systems too it seems being added.

Lot of different city scapes shown in the trailer, so wonder how much variety there is in these new terrain types.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what

Gotta check stuff then!

Also, preliminary release date for CGL's House Arano Sourcebook is soon but that might not make it. The sourcebook will canonize House Arano (and presumably the game's events) in mainline BattleTech universe.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Additionally, Heavy Metal is the third DLC and releases winter 2019.
Someone on Paradox forums notes that its Steam blurb indicates it will add the Unseen along with other stuff.

EDIT i'll make gaming thread

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
hi all, I wanted to get into the flashpoint DLC but I wondered if these missions will just be assault-only drops? I feel like the end-game is just me dropping 4 assault mechs that function as a death blob. Does anyone know or have any idea if the Flashpoint actually makes you use different tonnages and not just all out heavy weapons?

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • Homegrown variants:
    • HCT-3K (FP) - Missile hardpoints on your melee 'Mech because SRM Shotguns are cool.
    • UM-R90 - Energy hardpoints instead of ballistic ones because Urbies with PPCs sound Awesome
  • Others!
    • UM-R60L - You heard of "Hobo With a Shotgun"? This is an Urbie with a death-wish, and hopefully a mutual agreement.
    • BNC-3S - Some call it the only good Banshee. Others say no Banshee is good.
    • CPLT-C4 - Because LRM20s on a Catapult follows the design philosophy of variants. "If it fits, make it so."
    • VND-1AA - The "Avenging Angel" Vindicator.
    • BJ-1DB - Lasers instead of autocannons, because why not, everyone does it anyway.
Banshee 3S WOOO!

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
"Heavy Metal is the last DLC in the Season Pass. Future DLC will be mentioned in the future. " sounds like they aren't looking at a sequel just yet, but rather smaller DLCs for the future

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Heavy Metal is the last DLC in the Season Pass. Future DLC will be mentioned in the future. " sounds like they aren't looking at a sequel just yet, but rather smaller DLCs for the future
Considering that was a summary, i'd assume it should be more akin to "future DLC will be mentioned later if there will be any".
I wouldn't expect anything beyond the season pass myself. Not saying it is impossible, but them going all-hands on sequel seems more likely (assuming there will be one).

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
Random but is this game like Front Mission 3 at all gameplay wise? I haven't had fun with a mech game since then.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Random but is this game like Front Mission 3 at all gameplay wise? I haven't had fun with a mech game since then.
Looking at that game's Wikipedia description, not quite.
This one is rather modern XCOM-like.
I'm bad at describing things, recommend checking out a Lets Play or something like it to see things better.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who the fuck came up with these "Target Acquisition" missions?
Two thirds of beacons getting ready, one i'd get next turn... yet the mission suddenly fails? Because apparently beacons need to be placed WITHIN the main objective time, in other words, you actually have one less turn than it looks like!
As if i could have been any faster, not with the random lance i started with (and IIRC, the stock starting lance isn't that fast either).
Why is there hard failure condition anyhow, why not allow the player to try to make most of it?

JFC what shite this type is. Don't think i'm gonna touch them more, not until i got enough fast lights and good equipment for them.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just started a new campaign for the new DLC. It wouldn't be a Battletech campaign without Dekker being the very first casualty (on the very first mission *facepalm*).

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just started a new campaign for the new DLC. It wouldn't be a Battletech campaign without Dekker being the very first casualty (on the very first mission *facepalm*).
This happened so much to me and a friend that we wondered if it was scripted lmao

I started a new career, played for about 4ish hours. Haven't even seen the new urban biome yet, but I have only been on two planets thus far.

Saw a review on YouTube that was impressed with the DLC, but it's relatively early to have a review anyway.
Steam reviews are not being kind to it. I think the pricing of these DLCs has been subpar to say the least, at least compared to what modders offer.

Loving the numbered updates though and the increasing sophistication/streamlining/content additions.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up restarting the campaign and... i'm having more fun than i had during the first playthrough. All the improvements in the patches between then and now... they've definitively made the game better, in small ways but that's the trick.
I think the AI is smarter, taking way more damage even when playing carefully, though the AI still does "mercy rounds".

Haven't had chance to try new DLC content really yet, with the exception of "Attack and Defend" mission type. Man, it is intense, but it does highlight the issue of letting the player have only one lance. Would be way more interesting with two or three lances against as many enemies or maybe even more than now, though i'm doubtful Unity would be able to handle that...
Don't get me wrong though, i like the mission type all the same. Just... don't do that with mediums, you're gonna need a heavy defensively oriented 'Mech, preferably with Bulwark and Multi-Shot to keep attacking enemies occupied while faster units go attack enemy base.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, urban maps.
1) They look really great.
2) Building destruction is fun, also always target a building rather than 'Mech standing on top of one, very useful.
3) The AI is one mean bastard in urban maps. Lack of maneuvering room make missions like base destruction (especially if there's reinforcements) way harder than in other map types.
4) Urban maps run like shit. I get mostly OK performance with nearly highest possible graphics settings but framerate tanks in urban maps badly, especially if the camera doesn't point straight down. Unfortunate, not gonna downgrade settings for them only. Of course, my rig is few years old (gotta upgrade next year) and the game isn't the best performing (Unity issue i suppose) but still annoying.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You've gotta be kidding me!
2.5 or 3 star mission (forgot which), intel says "heavy firepower" and Darius says "I'm sure its nothing we can handle".
Well fuck you too Darius, the thing ends up having a Grasshopper and a Stalker at least on opposing force at full health... AND i've got a ComStar lance incoming into fray too!

So, this is the new "Battle Plus" mission type apparently...

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, they did mention they've been alternating the skull ratings. I've also seem to have run into some serious "wtf" one and a half skull ventures that seem to require an all medium lance in the early game, which isn't exactly easy starting with a random assignment.

I broke down and bought the DLC because I wanted to keep mods up to date, and I've always been interested in the Flashpoints- I really enjoy the writing for each one I've encountered so far.

The city maps are impressive I guess, but the game's performance is so remarkably poor when calculating enemy and friendly turns.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The contract ended up being easy. The original lance was just the two 'Mechs... had there been more beyond my then sensor range, it would've been another matter. As it was, the AI weakened itself nicely for me to finish it off with not even repairs needed.

Still, goddamn Darius, intel's your job and you're a goddamn awful at that.

As i said, the AI has been improved certainly. It is really vindicative SOB nowadays, and really homes in on weakened 'Mechs. Of course, this makes weakened 'Mechs good baits, just need to use a lot of Bracing or the Resolve-activated version.
Ended up with more losses (though no dead pilots so far), have scrapped at least two 'Mechs that were so banged up i decided it wasn't worth repairing them (especially since they were common ones).

And i need to use more 'Mechs (and pilots) nowadays, having at least 12 'Mechs readied off pays for itself easily: first four get damage, send them to repairs while you take second set for a ride... and then rotate to third. With luck, then you have enough 'Mechs cobbled together for yet another contract without having to use wait function.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK, House Arano sourcebook is now available as PDF, print on demand, or both:

This canonizes the game and the faction in broad strokes fashion to mainline BattleTech.

In other BT news, there's gonna be a Kickstarter for tabletop BattleTech: Clan Invasion box set expansion for BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat (that's the name of the newest normal box set). Starts July 17th apparently.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
As a newcomer, the fact that it takes literal months to rearm is...punishing.
I mean, it makes sense, it's just that it's a real kick in the nuts when an experiment doesn't work in the field.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a newcomer, the fact that it takes literal months to rearm is...punishing.
I mean, it makes sense, it's just that it's a real kick in the nuts when an experiment doesn't work in the field.
Reckon you could try stuff out in the custom skirmish games, no? There is a MechLab there, isn't there?

And yes, i've been here since day one and i haven't touched stuff outside campaign at all really... Haven't played a single skirmish or MP game lol.

Also, feel free to ask about ideas and concepts you have. 'Mechs, weapons, pilots, whatever. If it saves rearming time and cost... :)

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
OK, House Arano sourcebook is now available as PDF, print on demand, or both:

This canonizes the game and the faction in broad strokes fashion to mainline BattleTech.

In other BT news, there's gonna be a Kickstarter for tabletop BattleTech: Clan Invasion box set expansion for BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat (that's the name of the newest normal box set). Starts July 17th apparently.

Oh damn, covers just like the old House books too, that's cool.

Do you have a link or tweet for the TT Kickstarter? I'd like to follow it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And read the sourcebook. Well, mostly, skipped over scenarios.

Pretty good, though not a must-have. Nice for a fan of tabletop and electronic BattleTech.

Gives overview of the Aurigan Coalition history up to just after the game ends, culture (it is a melting pot) and economy, some details about planets and noble houses. Also gives explanation for the retcon of including the Aurigan Coalition to mainline BTU: It wasn't a recognized state except by the Magistracy of Canopus, hence everyone has been ignoring them, too small to warrant notice.
Has details and record sheet for Argo-class DropShips for BattleTech, with rules for "daisychain"-docking collar (conveniently made so that it doesn't break JumpShip logistics of BattleTech), record sheets for some APCs from the game along with the Atlas II variant but that has no fluff unfortunately.

The book also has scenarios and a specops company that are tailor made for owners of the Beginner Box and ACOAG, using 'Mechs and maps from those boxes. They've certainly posited this as "first source/scenario book" for new players.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
🤔

So i got the Test Drive mission, where your employer has captured the latest Capellan 'Mech, the Cataphract 1X.
Now, the silly thing here is, my employee is the CapCon... so they captured one of their own 'Mechs and want to reverse engineer it? OK.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
🤔

So i got the Test Drive mission, where your employer has captured the latest Capellan 'Mech, the Cataphract 1X.
Now, the silly thing here is, my employee is the CapCon... so they captured one of their own 'Mechs and want to reverse engineer it? OK.

Sounds like the Liaos to me. They don't share well with themselves, let alone others!

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the game's starting to drag. As mission rating gets higher, the amount of hardware around goes up so quickly... I have an all-assault lance (Atlas, Banshee 3S, LosTech Highlander, Battlemaster), with each 'Mech carrying sufficient firepower to occasionally kill an enemy with one salvo, but they move so slowly the game becomes about tanking damage, which they do admirably. Unfortunately the end result is turret-tech gameplay, completely undynamic.

As it is, the game's sweet spot is when the player and enemies have mix of light and medium designs, perhaps an occasional heavy, corresponding to about 1.5 to 3 difficulty rating missions.
But i suppose this is partially caused by the underlying tech, post-3050 recovered technology and Clan tech increase average speed and firepower. Hopefully a sequel uses later tech and modifies mission design and deployment limits for more dynamic and faster games, especially later on.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At a glance 'Mech list for the tabletop kickstarter:

Clan Invasion box set:
Timber Wolf (Mad Cat)
Mongrel (Grendel)
Nova (Black Hawk)
Adder (Puma)
Executioner (Gladiator)

Also contains two points (5 troopers per point, with one point being the basic game unit) of Elemental battle armor or more depending on stretch goals.

Clan Command Star (higher tier/add-on, stretch goal):
Dire Wolf (Daishi)
Summoner (Thor)
Stormcrow (Ryoken)
Mist Lynx (Koshi)
Shadow Cat

Clan Heavy Striker Star (higher tier/add-on, stretch goal):
Mad Dog (Vulture)
Ice Ferret (Fenris)
Hellbringer (Loki)
Viper (Dragonfly)
Gargoyle (Man O'War)

Clan Fire Star:
Nova Cat
Cougar
Kit Fox (Uller)
Fire Moth (Dasher)
Warhawk (Masakari)

Clan Pursuit Star:
Fire Falcon
Black Lanner
Battle Cobra
Hellion
Arctic Cheetah (Hankyu)

Inner Sphere Command Lance (higher tier/add-on, stretch goal):
Marauder
Archer
Valkyrie
Stinger

Inner Sphere Battle Lance (higher tier/add-on, stretch goal):
Warhammer
Rifleman
Wasp
Phoenix Hawk

Inner Sphere Direct Fire Lance
Atlas
Marauder II
Crusader
Orion

Inner Sphere Heavy Lance:
Banshee
Grasshopper
Centurion
Hatchetman

EDIT Even more 'Mechs

EDIT Existing "Beginner Box" and "A Game of Armored Combat" contain the following:
BB:

Griffin
Wolverine

AGOAC:

Awesome
Battlemaster
Catapult
Thunderbolt
Wolverine
Shadow Hawk
Commando
Locust

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I very much doubt HBS BattleTech is getting Clan 'Mechs. I bet the winter expansion is for the classics, new mission types, planet type, flashpoints, the like.
If this game's getting a sequel, that's where we'll see the Clans.