• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A9pq12v.png

When: April 24th, 2018 (9am PDT)
Platforms: PC, Mac (and Linux later)
Price: Standard 39.99€/$39.99, Deluxe 49.99€/$39.99
Developer: Harebrained Schemes
Publisher: Paradox Interactive
BATTLETECH is a Kickstarted game, details of the campaign here.
Review thread here.​

MiVHLrC.png
FEATURES
  • Turn-based tactics/strategy, command a small mercenary 'Mech unit in the field
  • Management/RPG aspects, manage your mercenary unit contracts, hire and train pilots, and upgrade or customize 'Mechs
  • Epic campaign, take part in a civil war and restore a deposed ruler to their throne
  • Multiplayer PVP and Skirmish vs AI options
  • The game uses 'Mech models from MechWarrior Online (link to ERA MWO OT).
bRKOxET.png
GAMEPLAY
BATTLETECH's basic gameplay is XCOM-like, only instead of humans you command a lance of roughly 12-meter tall 'Mechs, and fight your way through missions with lasers, autocannons, missiles, or even melee attacks. You will inevitably miss those important 95%-hit-chance shots, just like XCOM...
Different 'Mechs have different capabilities, lighter 'Mechs are faster to move and get to move first (or reserve their turns for later) while heavier 'Mechs offer more firepower and armor and some 'Mechs having jump capabilities, but all must manage their heat their weapons generate and try to stay on their feet while under enemy fire. And don't lose those machines, they are valuable!
The 'Mechs' pilots, the MechWarriors, have their own abilities and skills. Some are good gunners, some are excellent at managing their machine's heat levels, and more experience ones bring even new abilities to your unit in the field. Using their abilities is crucial for your mercenary unit's success... and for the MechWarriors' survival. Remember, there are old mercenaries and bold mercenaries but no old and bold mercenaries.
In the campaign, you also need to manage your mercenary unit. You have an unique ship/mobile home base at your disposal: The Argo. The ship can be upgraded, with variety of benefits, but you must also maintain your 'Mechs, repairing and customizing those after missions is important but costly. As a merc you will probably work for the highest bidder, but the best paying missions carry the highest risk, and whoever you work for has enemies of their own who may now be your enemies as well...
8D2cZNf.png
SYNOPSIS
BATTLETECH is set in the year 3025. Humans have long colonized an area of space called the Inner Sphere, once ruled by unified and supposedly utopian Star League. For over 200 years, three Succession Wars have been fought over the mantle of the First Lord of the Star League by five Great Houses: Kurita, Davion, Liao, Marik and Steiner. But beyond the Inner Sphere is the Periphery, consisting of less developed nations, mostly forgotten and ignored by the Successor States. Usually. Now, a young Periphery realm Aurigan Coalition has fallen into civil war, and new wars offer new opportunities for mercenaries...
RmzRlpU.png
GENERAL INFO
Standard Edition: The game itself (and if ordering from GoG.com before May 8th, you also get HBS's Shadowrun Returns)
Deluxe Edition: The game, wallpapers, digital soundtrack, digital artbook, PDX forum avatar/icon
Pre-order bonus: wallpaper and Shadowhawk alternate skin option.

TACTICAL COMBAT GUIDE BY STEAM-USER ECK
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1365402907
Contains short history of BT franchise, terminology, details actions available 'Mechs, game mechanics, among other stuff.
Thanks to Calibro for bringing this to my attention.

FAQ
Q: Is there pre-load?
A: On Steam, starting on today (Monday 23th).

Q: Are Clans in the game?
A: Not in this game. Maybe in a sequel.

Q: Where are my favorite Mad Cats and Uziels and etc. 'Mechs?
A: If your favorite is not the game, it is either because they're not in existence or available in 3025, because MWO does not have model for them, or current legal issues with Harmony Gold have prevented their use.

Q: Is there mod support?
A: There is no official mod support (and no Steam Workshop) but a lot of the game's files can be edited rather easily so mods can be made.

Q: Is there controller support?
A: No, but as the game is turn-based, anything that can emulate a mouse should work OK

Q: Is there a demo?
A: Unfortunately not at this time.

Q: Is this game related to tabletop BattleTech?
A: HBS BATTLETECH is created by Jordan Weisman, the same person who created the original boardgame and its successor MechWarrior Dark Age. This game is not a direct conversion, rather it is an adaptation of the rules for somewhat different gameplay more suited for PC. This game is set in the same universe as well, though its canonicity is unclear at the moment.

-To be updated-

LIST OF 'MECHS AND THEIR VARIANTS:
  • Locust: LCT-1M, LCT-1S, LCT-1V
  • Commando: COM-1B, COM-2D
  • Spider: SDR-5V
  • UrbanMech: UM-R60
  • Firestarter: FS9-H
  • Jenner: JR7-D
  • Panther: PNT-9R
  • Cicada: CDA-2A, CDA-3C
  • Blackjack: BJ-1
  • Vindicator: VND-1R
  • Centurion: CN9-A, CN9-AL
  • Enforcer: ENF-4R
  • Hunchback: HBK-4G, HBK-4P
  • Trebuchet: TBT-5N
  • Griffin: GRF-1N, GRF-1S
  • Kintaro: KTO-18
  • Shadow Hawk: SHD-2D, SHD-2H
  • Wolverine: WVR-6K, WVR-6R
  • Dragon: DRG-1N
  • Quickdraw: QKD-4G, QKD-5A
  • Catapult: CPLT-C1, CPLT-K2
  • JagerMech: JM6-A, JM6-S
  • Thunderbolt: TDR-5S, TDR-5SE, TDR-5SS
  • Cataphract: CTF-1X
  • Grasshopper: GHR-5H
  • Black Knight: BL-7-KNT
  • Orion: ON1-K, ON1-V
  • Awesome: AWS-8Q, AWS-8T
  • Victor: VTR-9B, VTR-9S
  • Zeus: ZEU-6S
  • BattleMaster: BLR-1G
  • Stalker: STK-3F
  • Highlander: HGN-733, HGN-733P
  • Banshee: BNC-3E, BNC-3M
  • Atlas: AS7-D
  • King Crab: KGC-0000

OTHER BATTLETECH INFO:
For more information about BattleTech franchise and setting in general, see Sarna wiki.
XxB2i6X.png
SCREENSHOTS AND MEDIA

btmRStQ.gif
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minimum system requirements - Windows: 64-bit Windows 7 or Higher
Processor: Intel Core i3-2105 or AMD Phenom II X3 720
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 560 Ti or Radeon HD 5870 (1 GB VRAM)
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 30 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9 sound device
Mouse, Keyboard
Additional Notes: Multiplayer is compatible between Windows and Mac versions.

Recommended system requirements - Windows: 64-bit Windows 7 or Higher
Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 or AMD FX-4300
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 or AMD Radeon R9 285 (2 GB VRAM)
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 30 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9 sound device
Mouse, Keyboard
Additional Notes: Multiplayer is compatible between Windows and Mac versions.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You think anything should be added, do tell, i'll update this as necessary.

Last edited:

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Ah yes, this game. Absolutely stunning main menu visuals and music, and it only gets better after that. Some of the tracks in the OST are instant classics for me.

It's slow as molasses and not that pretty inside actual missions (irrelevant imo), but boy are you in for a treat if you want to play with battlemechs and think about every action for a minute or two. Mindblowing detail.

Also hey, the story is basically Game of Thrones in space, in 3025. How motherfucking cool is that!

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is the progression like XCOM where there's a steady increase in stakes and difficulty that you've got to keep up with? Or is it more like Darkest Dungeon where a big loss only really loses you time and resources?

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
Nice OT.

Between this, MechWarrior 5 at the end of the year, & Harmony Gold hopefully being sent packing in court... i think we can call this the year of the mech!

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is the progression like XCOM where there's a steady increase in stakes and difficulty that you've got to keep up with? Or is it more like Darkest Dungeon where a big loss only really loses you time and resources?
From what the devs said, it's possible to trigger a permanent fail state by running out of money but it shouldn't really happen unless you're playing consistently poorly across a bunch of missions.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, i think i found the 'Mech and variant list:
  • Locust: LCT-1M, LCT-1S, LCT-1V
  • Commando: COM-1B, COM-2D
  • Spider: SDR-5V
  • UrbanMech: UM-R60
  • Firestarter: FS9-H
  • Jenner: JR7-D
  • Panther: PNT-9R
  • Cicada: CDA-2A, CDA-3C
  • Blackjack: BJ-1
  • Vindicator: VND-1R
  • Centurion: CN9-A, CN9-AL
  • Enforcer: ENF-4R
  • Hunchback: HBK-4G, HBK-4P
  • Trebuchet: TBT-5N
  • Griffin: GRF-1N, GRF-1S
  • Kintaro: KTO-18
  • Shadow Hawk: SHD-2D, SHD-2H
  • Wolverine: WVR-6K, WVR-6R
  • Dragon: DRG-1N
  • Quickdraw: QKD-4G, QKD-5A
  • Catapult: CPLT-C1, CPLT-K2
  • JagerMech: JM6-A, JM6-S
  • Thunderbolt: TDR-5S, TDR-5SE, TDR-5SS
  • Cataphract: CTF-1X
  • Grasshopper: GHR-5H
  • Black Knight: BL-7-KNT
  • Orion: ON1-K, ON1-V
  • Awesome: AWS-8Q, AWS-8T
  • Victor: VTR-9B, VTR-9S
  • Zeus: ZEU-6S
  • BattleMaster: BLR-1G
  • Stalker: STK-3F
  • Highlander: HGN-733, HGN-733P
  • Banshee: BNC-3E, BNC-3M
  • Atlas: AS7-D
  • King Crab: KGC-0000

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT on short notice. Can't wait for the game. Hope it sells well and gets plenty of after market support.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad folks are liking the OT.
But still, if you have suggestions for additions or improvements, please do tell.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Hyped . Finished GoW need something new.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BattleTech is weird in that it is a rare Western mecha franchise.
It was originally is based, at least as visuals go, to Macross and some other Japanese mecha animes (to the point of licensing the art... only it ended up with revelation that the original licensing agreement wasn't actually valid, and that led to legal troubles continuing to this day!). But BT went with its own twists. The setting was originally very "medieval fantasy"-like really. You had these noble houses, MechWarriors as knights, technology was basically magic, and then there was the ComStar who were something between priests and mages.

It has evolved afterwards, of course. Time always affects things, new folks bring new ideas, as do then-current times.

I linked BattleTech wiki, Sarna.net, to the OP. I recommend checking it out for more general info about BattleTech. Or, well, people can try to find more general info, it is really an enthusiast wiki in that there are no good overview articles.

Funny enough, HBS is headed by Jordan Weisman, the same guy who made the original tabletop game. In a way, this is the second reboot for BT, first with MechWarrior Dark Age clix-game, and now with this computer game...

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Backer since day one, ready to rock!

MechWarrior 2 was a defining moment in really getting me into science fiction. Who hasn't loved giant death robots at one point in their lives?

Prepping my Patlabor squad, brb :D

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
can't wait. Monday is gonna suck really hard so it'll be nice to come back to this on Tuesday after work.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching a ton of preview LPs, and I never watch Let's Plays. Hours of stuff. This game is gonna get its hooks in me deeeep. So many systems, but not in a bad way, you know? Everything seems to flow together and the UI presentation is excellent.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to email them to see if they could change my backer key but since they already sent them out oh well. Guess I'll just have to settle for the Steam version. Might rebuy later on down the line when it goes on sale to have the GOG version just to have the DRM free version.

Looking forward to finally having the full game in the many hands. So many games lately and not enough time to really play them all.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know next to nothing about the Mechwarrior universe but I'm really psyched for this.

if you or others have questions about the universe, i'll answer. I know basically everything worth knowing (well, what i regard worth knowing...)

Thinking of making a bit deeper introduction to the universe to the OP anyway. This was a very quick work really.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope there's a Nexus page set up for this game pretty quick, since I don't want r/BattletechMods to be the only place to get mods.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, this game. Absolutely stunning main menu visuals and music, and it only gets better after that. Some of the tracks in the OST are instant classics for me. It's slow as molasses and not that pretty inside actual missions (irrelevant imo), but boy are you in for a treat if you want to play with battlemechs and think about every action for a minute or two. Mindblowing detail.

Also hey, the story is basically Game of Thrones in space, in 3025. How motherfucking cool is that!
hype.gif

Lorian1986

Oct 29, 2017
Have not looked at gameplay videos so far but will i like this game when i was in love with Mech Commander 1/2 ?.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually wondering, since they're doing a preload, if I were to VPN australia if I could unlock my game early...

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I thought there was no mod support. Which is one of the more disappointing things about this, especially as a kickstarted game.

There is no official mod support.
But a lot of stuff is in .JSON files, just use a txt editor to edit stuff. Hell, folks made mods for the beta apparently.

The developers said they didn't want to spend time developing mod tools and support for mods, but that they left everything in VERY easily modifyable formats so people could tweak their own stuff without much difficulty. I think they were more worried about spending time to support the mods than actually including them. You can definitely edit most of the mechs with a text editor in the beta (and I believe they confirmed it will be that way in the final game as well), so you could easily add your own custom mechs or change parameters of the current ones to whatever you liked.

So in the end Mods that tweak 'Mechs,/difficulty, that sort of thing: Easy - almost trivial. Mods that do new missions, use new maps or assets: Hard. That is my impression of what they're doing here.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
Nice work on the OT, thanks for puttin it together! Just a quick typo fix -- the release time should be AM, not PM.

I'm actually wondering, since they're doing a preload, if I were to VPN australia if I could unlock my game early...
I think launch is simultaneous worldwide, so no VPN shenanigans. Would love to hop into this for an hour or so right away tomorrow night though. :(

Gonna be a looong monday

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice work on the OT, thanks for puttin it together! Just a quick typo fix -- the release time should be AM, not PM.
So it is!

I read the email so quick my mind mashed up AM and PDT to PM PDT. Go figure :P

EDIT Goddamnit, i had checked it on Google correctly though. 9AM PDT means 7PM here... sigh.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
They should do a midnight, New Zealand-timezone launch, like all good developers.

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so excited for this. I remember 5thbgrade, my dad taking me to a flea market expo where there was a huge tent of games.

I saw Mechwarrior there, and it started s love affair that's lasted for 20+ years. This is what I've been waiting for.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So in the end Mods that tweak 'Mechs,/difficulty, that sort of thing: Easy - almost trivial. Mods that do new missions, use new maps or assets: Hard. That is my impression of what they're doing here.
Perfect. The usual re-balancing and customization, with room for extensive story based, larger sized expansion packs cough I mean DLC in the future.

Judging by Harebrained's previous 'Directors Cuts' I'm excited about even more content following profit.