• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deepo

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I noticed that achievements for Battlezone have shown up on some achievement aggregator sites. The achievement list appears to be identical to the Battlezone game that's available for PS VR and PC VR.

https://www.exophase.com/game/battlezone-gold-edition-xbox/achievements/
https://www.trueachievements.com/game/Battlezone-Gold-Edition/achievements

So I guess that leaves two possibilities:
  1. Rebellion has modified the game to work without VR.
  2. VR on Xbox.
I think there's about a 99% chance of the first being true, but VR would be cool.

Has anyone heard anything about this releasing?

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I obviously wouldn't want to play this game outside of VR, but of all the VR games out there it's definitely on the more TV-friendly side of the spectrum. Good game, too.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty neat and I liked the campaign/mission structure but the VR felt non-essential. It should do alright as a regular old tank shooter.

OP
OP
Deepo

Deepo

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
A port without VR would allow me to actually play it, as I don't own a VR headset. But it seems like it would lose a lot in the translation, as you mention.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From a mechanics perspective, the main thing you'd lose is being able to look around in a fast and detached way. Which is notable given the turning speed of the tanks, but not necessarily a huge deal. It's still a clever and fast-paced tank game with a lot of tension due to its randomized and permanent nature.

I'm a big fan of VR and think it's a pretty integral part of all games that decently support it, personally, which is why I said I'd never play the game otherwise, but I'd still consider Battlezone to be a good game even if VR didn't exist.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I have enjoyed the game a lot in VR. I think it's a good buy if you like vehicle action games at maybe $30 or less if there is no VR.

There simply isn't enough vehicle action games, period. I think Battlezone is a pretty great one.

What really hurt the game was it launching on PSVR really unbalanced (gameplay). Now it's real good.