• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
That would work. A Switch version of 4 or Smash 5 could add assist trophies for the DLC guest characters that didn't get one. Add Tifa or Barret for Cloud, Chun-Li for Ryu, and Rodan for Bayo.

This could be a coincidence, but all the third party assist trophies so far have been rival/anatagonistic figures. Instead of Roll, Tails, and Ms. Pac-Man, we got Elec Man, Shadow and the ghosts. Metal Gear had Grey Fox back in Brawl.

With that in mind, I could see Akuma being Street Fighter's assist trophy, and either Sephiroth or a reoccuring enemy type like a Cactuar for Final Fantasy. For Bayonetta, I guess Balder could work?

Deleted member 6436

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think y'all are letting your hype cloud your judgment a little bit.

And I say that as the guy who set an amiibo on fire to summon the last Direct.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This could be a coincidence, but all the third party assist trophies so far have been rival/anatagonistic figures. Instead of Roll, Tails, and Ms. Pac-Man, we got Elec Man, Shadow and the ghosts. Metal Gear had Grey Fox back in Brawl.

With that in mind, I could see Akuma being Street Fighter's assist trophy, and either Sephiroth or a reoccuring enemy type like a Cactuar for Final Fantasy. For Bayonetta, I guess Balder could work?
If you want to take the rival/antagonist route for Assist Trophies, the obvious Bayo analogue would be Jeanne, no? (Rival in first game, buddy in second.)

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
Rodin would make a great trophy in Smash. Also, Smash franchise lives confirmed. Lol

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to necro-bumping this thread with a vengeance when he's confirmed playable

Will be like when Rodin crawls back out of Hell after retrieving an LP weapon

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta returning to Smash is virtually guaranteed. Cutting her would be like cutting a Nintendo character at this point. She also has like five characters' worth of thought and design put her into her moveset.

But I wouldn't write off Rodin. He's arguably the most important supporting character in the series (other than Jeanne, who could easily be a proper alt this time). He might have an increased role in Bayo 3, too.

Yeah, it's already obvious that she's coming back after they announced Bayonetta 3 in works for Nintendo Switch. It's nice to know that she is more likely to come back.

If Rodin got in via Assist Trophy, what kind of attacks are we expecting from him in the game?

I forgot to add that I also think this could mean Rodin could be added as an assist trophy, but I was too far afk to come back and edit.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is completely believable and makes sense at him being in Smash. This is how Nintendo likes to hint at things.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It really does feel like an intuitive inclusion on some levels. Rodin's brawling style... His importance and prominence within his series... And the visual variety he'd bring to the roster (a black man in a sea of white).

He's one of the main characters in a series that just had two titles ported to Switch and has a third one exclusively in development. It doesn't feel like too much of a stretch to think Sakurai would seriously consider him.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The real question — which would be his final smash:

latest

latest

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
IDK, doesn't Ganondorf have a more grey/greenish skin color? Not sure I would qualify that as black, all in all I think he's more from a 'fictional race' than being black.
The way I always saw him was as a Gerudo. His skin having an unhealthy shade basically came from being the living incarnation of evil.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this hints at Rodin being in Smash. That's reading this Easter Egg way too literally. At best, it's hinting at Bayonetta still being in the next Smash/port

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this hints at Rodin being in Smash. That's reading this Easter Egg way too literally. At best, it's hinting at Bayonetta still being in the next Smash/port
Rodin asks Bayonetta to bring him to Smash next time.

It could be nothing, but it could just easily be a tease.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is just a cute easter egg, as others have said. And as much as I love it, I don't know if Bayonetta is a big enough franchise yet (at least in sales) to get a second rep.

But, if it did, I would love for it to be my man Rodin.
Rodin.jpg

Did you know the name was pronounced 'Ro-DAHN' before Enzo said it in the opening of Bayo 1? I sure didn't, lol.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is just a cute easter egg, as others have said. And as much as I love it, I don't know if Bayonetta is a big enough franchise yet (at least in sales) to get a second rep.

But, if it did, I would love for it to be my man Rodin.
Rodin.jpg

Did you know the name was pronounced 'Ro-DAHN' before Enzo said it in the opening of Bayo 1? I sure didn't, lol.
Bayonetta is big enough to Nintendo that Bayo 1 and 2 just came out on Switch, and Nintendo is funding the entirety of Bayo 3, also for Switch

Bayonetta is currently receiving more active support than a number of Nintendo originals on the Smash roster

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it was just cute reference to Bayonetta being in Smash Bros but Rodin would be amazing assist trophy tho if they could input him there.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
This actually seems somewhat plausible. Looking at all the characters who are likely to come back for Bayo3:

- Jeanne is too close to Bayonetta (she would be an alt-skin or clone character).
- Luka is boring.
- Enzo has no fighting ability.

...which leaves Rodin as the most likely Smash candidate, assuming they want a second Bayonetta rep.

Sakurai is trolling and is putting in Enzo instead.

The real troll would be adding Loki.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Spring Man levels of stretching here. They've never teased a charcter coming to Smash in this fashion. While he's clearly referencing the series, this being a hint that he will be in the next installment is laughable. I'M LAUGHING AT YOU NOW

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I read this as Platinum basically asking for Rodin to be in the next Smash, sorta like how Suda51 is always asking for Travis to be in Smash.

Rodin is literally asking for a ticket to the big time.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: Looking at the note again, I'm actually probably reading too much into it. Getting too hyped at the possibility of multiple Bayonetta fighters in Smash, lol.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It probably means that, now that they're unrestricted by 3DS hardware, Rodan and Bayonetya will fight as a tag team.

Miketendo64

Dec 22, 2017
Thanks to HylianSeven for pointing this out when he saw it on Twitter. Several posters here have noted that this message appears in Bayonetta 2 on Switch when you use certain amiibo — and apparently this message wasn't in the WiiU game:

Smash's first black man incoming? (Don't post Mr. Game & Watch, please — you know what I mean, lol)

It also has a Splatoon 2 reference, and Bayonetta 3 reference. Miketendo64 actually posted about all 3, 3 days ago.

https://miketendo64.com/2018/02/14/...ros-fight-club/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The "all-stars fight club" he references is clearly Smash Bros, though
Yes, and he says he always wanted to check out the Inklings' Turf. He wants to talk to the weaponsmith and "maybe grab himself an N-Zap". He also said he "might have to whip something up for Samus someday" when you scan a Samus amiibo, and how everyone knows about Hyrule and it's Legends when you scan Link.

The reason he mentions Smash is because it's a Smash amiibo. I got the same thing when I scanned Sonic.

Sorry, but I honestly don't see this as anything at all.