• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to HylianSeven for pointing this out when he saw it on Twitter. Several posters here have noted that this message appears in Bayonetta 2 on Switch when you use certain amiibo — and apparently this message wasn't in the WiiU game:

Smash's first black man incoming? (Don't post Mr. Game & Watch, please — you know what I mean, lol)

Edit: A few posters here have noted there are Splatoon and Animal Crossing references as well, so Rodin's commentary is not just Smash-related.

Last edited:

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
giphy.gif

It begins.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure that this is just a reference to Bayonetta being in Smash Bros. and in no way indicates that Rodin is going to be in a Smash 4 DX or Smash 5.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
What, the gamr is still getting support?
Nah, this is gotta be a switch port of smash.

If it's not I'll be legit surprised.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit yes!

Rodin is king.

He would also be the first black character for Smash and a great one at that.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they're gonna add a second Bayonetta character, Rodin is pretty much the best choice.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
When it comes to smash teases, anything goes in my book.
Rodin would be a very nice addition, especially when it comes to diversifiaction of the human characters.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
If they're gonna add a second Bayonetta character, Rodin is pretty much the best choice.
True, but we also need a Jeanne alternate for Bayonetta (a real one, not just a recolor), and we also need assist trophies for Enzo and Luka

Bayonetta is practically an honorary Nintendo franchise at this point, so might as well

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think it means anything but man imagine the outcry for Rodin being in.

I would think it's awesome tho.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's most likely just a reference. That being said I would love to see Rodin in Smash.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
If there is a Smash 5, the fact that Bayo 3 exists gives a good chance that Bayonetta could be a character.

Rodan would at most be an assist trophy.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, plus all these new bayonetta switch support, it's perfect timing.

Btw, that dude is one mean bean, is he supposed to be satan?
There is no Satan in the Bayonetta universe. Rodin, if I recall correctly, is basically an angel who decided to go his own way. More like a demon now, but he's loyal to neither Paradiso nor Inferno. I read him as ultimately a good-hearted dude with a tough guy demeanor. One of my favorite character archetypes, lol.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Would they really add another Bayonetta character? I would have even guessed Bayonetta herself wouldn't show up again. Strange that Nintendo invests so much into an IP that isn't even theirs.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
It just sounds like a little joke. There's also Halo and Resident Evil jokes in the game. It's probably nothing.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Would they really add another Bayonetta character? I would have even guessed Bayonetta herself wouldn't show up again. Strange that Nintendo invests so much into an IP that isn't even theirs.
Nintendo is an equal co-owner of Bayo 2 and Bayo 3. And Nintendo signing off on the Japanese dub in Bayo 1 is how the dub appeared in the Steam port. So they have a lot of control over the franchise at this point. They clearly feel it adds something significant to their portfolio (and I'm inclined to agree).

Also, I can only imagine that Iwata had a deep respect for these games. The subject matter may look... edgier than Nintendo's usual fare, but these games are 100% in step with Nintendo's philosophy of fun game design first.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy

You probabily have no idea just how big Bayonetta is in Smash...Even if Bayonetta 3 fail hard they would still release Bayonetta in the next Smash Bros anyway.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo gonna stealth-release Super Smash Bros: Black History Month Edition starring playable Rodin, Marina and Twintelle

tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
It could indeed happen and if that's the case then I suppose that Smash 4 (5?) will come this year for Switch.

Although it would be surprising if we see Rodin before Travis F*cking Touchdown in Smash.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's Mr. Fantastic levels of stretching, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

It's just an easter egg referencing her being in Smash. That is cool in an of itself since I don't think any other game has done so. I'd love a SF game that acknowledges how many crossovers Ryu has been in.

Cryxok

Oct 27, 2017
México
Rodin would be enough to make me buy Smash4DX day1 even if that's literally the only new addition.
"You may call me father" in the soundtrack wouldn't hurt either

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Huge leap to me. He says stuff like this for every amiibo you scan in. I guess he's going to be showing up in Inkopolis in the next Splatoon as well...