• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

InkyVulture

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, I had the chance to try out Bayonetta on Wii U and I had some issues with the button inputs. All in all it just seemed arbitrary what the game considered a pause or full stopp in combos so I really weren't getting the comboes I actually wanted.

Is this how it just is? Is there some technical things I should know about in regards to character movement in regards to button presses?

And is Bayonetta Switch the same in this regard or improved ?

And lastly, how is Bayonetta 2 Switch in comparison?

I really want to give the games a chance but so far I'm not pleased with the combat inputs on Wii U and its putting me off the idea.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I had the chance to try out Bayonetta on Wii U and I had some issues with the button inputs. All in all it just seemed arbitrary what the game considered a pause or full stopp in combos so I really weren't getting the comboes I actually wanted.

Is this how it just is? Is there some technical things I should know about in regards to character movement in regards to button presses?

And is Bayonetta Switch the same in this regard or improved ?

And lastly, how is Bayonetta 2 Switch in comparison?

I really want to give the games a chance but so far I'm not pleased with the combat inputs on Wii U and its putting me off the idea.

Bayonetta 2 does have a longer input buffer, but I'm not sure if that'll solve your issue or make it worse depending on what specifically the problem is with the timing.

If you're having problems getting the inputs you want to register in practice mode on loading screens; then the Wii U to Switch framerate improvement probably won't be particularly helpful either.

Oct 25, 2017
Fooling around with a Jeanne + Gaze of Despair run (in 2) has shown me alarmingly quickly that I don't really know how to dodge.

Have anyone of you tried split joycon setup when playing 1 or 2? How is it?

I've been playing with split Joy-Cons for the majority of my time in 2, after previously playing the game on the Wii U, and one issue that sticks out is that I accidentally nudge R (weapon switch) quite often when I'm pressing ZR to dodge, which I'm doing all the time because this is Bayonetta. It may just be how I hold the right Joy-Con, though, as the shoulder buttons/triggers are small and close enough that I habitually use my index fingers on ZL/ZR (it's just what I'm accustomed to after a thousand hours with the Switch), whereas on the Wii U it was more natural to put the middle fingers on ZL/ZR and the index fingers on L/R, which sharply distinguishes the two inputs.

With the Joy-Cons, putting the middle fingers on ZL/ZR doesn't make sense to me at all, as I'm using my middle fingers to support the hardware whether I'm using the Joy-Cons detached or attached in handheld. And here that runs into trouble. Other than that issue, though (which I think can be addressed by choosing a different button configuration before you get too accustomed to one layout), split Joy-Cons are as comfortable as always.

InkyVulture

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, guess I won't touch the Switch versions until there is a demo/I can try the game on someone else's Switch.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Really, I swear: Bullet Climax in Bayonetta Switch is on an RNG. I don't remember it being this hard to use on the PS3. Did they change something?

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Heard this mega-bombed on Switch. Is that true? :(

Seems like it. It wouldn't be a surprise, nor is 3 coming out to undoubtedly dismal numbers.

But all of that would have been known by them when they approved the games in the first place, so it might have met expectations in that regard.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the only thing i don't like about basically every port version of Bayo1 is that they fucked up the input requirements for QTEs so beating Jeanne at buttonmashing fists is nearly impossible.

I mean it was always better to dodge into witchtime and bust her face, but still

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan

Pauses in attack strings can be timed to animation.

This applies to all games actually. DmC for example has a special animation of sword shining to aid you with timing of pauses.

Bayonetta actually doesn't have that many paused attack strings. It just adds ******+pause+P or K to all strings as an alternate input for hand/feet launchers.

The only paused string with unique functionality are on the sword and sword is very good to time pauses on it because sword's animation is very distinct and unambiguous (look at shuraba's tip) allowing you to see exactly if you want to press or not to press at which frames of animation.

the only thing i don't like about basically every port version of Bayo1 is that they fucked up the input requirements for QTEs so beating Jeanne at buttonmashing fists is nearly impossible.
Wii U port is actually the best for it because you can mash on button AND the touchscreen allowing you to go over the limit easily.

I mean it was always better to dodge into witchtime and bust her face, but still
Failing punching on purpose and parrying incoming punishing hit is cooler.

preta

Oct 25, 2017

what the hell, that's screwed up on Switch too?

And that was something I was thinking was exclusive to the PC port

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I remember there was an explanation floating around for it (thought it might be to do with framerate or something) but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

I know Kamiya will block you if you ask him about it lol

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
I think the general agreement in the NPD February thread was that Bayonetta 2 did pretty good in the US for what it was. It did chart at 14 (all platforms) and 4 (NSW) without digital sales and it might even skew digital more than the usual Nintendo game because it was cheaper to buy Bayonetta 2 indivdually on the eShop if you did not want/need the first game. The WiiU version did not chart at all. I think it met or outperformed the expectations that Nintendo had, at least in the US.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the general agreement in the NPD February thread was that Bayonetta 2 did pretty good in the US for what it was. It did chart at 14 (all platforms) and 4 (NSW) without digital sales and it might even skew digital more than the usual Nintendo game because it was cheaper to buy Bayonetta 2 indivdually on the eShop if you did not want/need the first game. The WiiU version did not chart at all. I think it met or outperformed the expectations that Nintendo had, at least in the US.
For the type of release that it was (A four year port of a niche game on a niche system), I'd say that bodes very well; this wasn't exactly a flagpole release for them.

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017
Seems like it. It wouldn't be a surprise, nor is 3 coming out to undoubtedly dismal numbers.

What? No.

It charted at #14 unlike every other console version of both 1 & 2, which never charted in comparison. The port was also (afaik) one of the top sellers on Eshop digitally too. Its really Japan & i believe UK as well where Bayobetta 1-2 flopped on the Switch.

I'd say it performed ad good ad it could have overall.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
16tMX8R.png

From the Slides for the Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ended March 2018

This graph shows the total sell-through of Bayonetta 2 immediately after its February release for Nintendo Switch, compared to the sell-through for the same period of time following its 2014 release for Wii U. The Nintendo Switch version of this title quickly surged past the original Wii U version.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
If nothing else, Bayonetta Switch sold well enough to have a reputation with Nintendo Support. Here's a fun story:

About a week ago I realized from Bayonetta that my Left-Joycon was defective. Most of the time it was fine, but it wasn't performing rotations correctly, which was making bullet climax virtually impossible to perform. You may have seen some of my posts about this. So I call up Nintendo Support and begin describing my problem:

Me: So when I rotate the stick it cuts off quadrants of the rotation and I can perform certain maneuvers in the game.
Tech: If I may ask, which game are you playing?
Me: Um.....uhhhhhhhhh.....hrm....errr...Bayonetta.
Tech: Yep, that would do it. That would explain it. That and Bayonetta 2 are the games people call about.
He explains:
Tech: It's those extreme character action games Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 that require precise inputs people call about. If it's not those games, then it's fighting games like Street Fighter or Pokken Tournament.

I take this as evidence that Bayonetta has single-handedly upticked calls to Nintendo Support to the point that the phone techs have noticed.

On a side note, my controller is working fine now and Bullet Climaxes are silky smooth.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
And there we go!

I've finished both a clean,New Game Hard Run and Infinite Climax Run. (Pictures to be provided eventually.) Gotta admit, starting Hard Mode from a new game is pretty fun!

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I beat Bayonetta 1 yesterday. Definitely had rough edges, but it was worth it.

Will 2 be much better? From what I've seen the colors got a major upgrade.

That depends on what in particular you liked or found lacking about 1, but generally 2 is agreed to be an improvement; with only a couple of potential arguable drawbacks that likely won't affect your experience with the game.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i mean those bloody hover alfheims are super impossible without the whips

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I beat Bayonetta 1 yesterday. Definitely had rough edges, but it was worth it.

Will 2 be much better? From what I've seen the colors got a major upgrade.

I'm playing Bayo 2 right now. I'd say the game looks much better than 1 (apart from the cutscenes being weirdly lo rez), but the game itself is not quite hitting the highs of the first one, up to chapter 7 so far. It's fun for sure, but not as brutal as the first. I never thought I'd be missing Grace and Glory.

edit: also as an English person, Loki is personally offensive. The accent and dialect are fucking awful.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to pull the trigger on Bayonetta 2 for Switch. It's a good version of the game, right?

The framerate is moderately improved in handheld and noticeably when docked compared to the Wii U game, so it can definitely be recommended over the original - but there's not much in the way of changes beyond that.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a much improved frame-rate over the original. It's still not a complete lock, but it maintains it for the most part.

nick_b

Dec 10, 2017
So I just bought a TV and started playing my switch on it instead of my computer monitor. Managed to somehow tear myself away from Hollow Knight and booted up Bayonetta 2 to see how it looked on the new TV. And
Holy shit at Jeanne getting dragged to hell after being smacked by my runaway summon. Then I get to fight it!
This game is dope! I beat the first game a while ago but this is my first time seeing anything in 2.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
Just finished bayonetta 2. While I think the game is amazing and love the polish compared to the first ( replayed the switch version before starting 2 ) I felt so let down by the ending. I didn't care for character and his mechanics were just boring, it didn't ramp up as good like 1, where the ending kept getting more and more insane.

I hope 3 goes crazier then this, after the ending of one it needs to more bombastic and silly.

The game needed a big surprise boss like 1, bayonetta needed to be more of god witch like 1, they needed to use her theme more other, they needed to have more climax moments with demons.

I expected them to play around with moon River more, if you think about fly me to moon lyrics and how they play into last boss, moon river was completely wasted.

Last edited:

Rurouni

Dec 25, 2017

I remember a Veteran named Yoshesque commented about this when some Steam players made a thread about it for the PC vers., she said its still quite possible to max it out countlessly and that its down to player error AFAIK.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Is Bayonetta 2 better than 1? I'm at Chapter 15 on Bayonetta 1 and I think I'm about to uninstall the game. The combat is really fun, but some of these large bosses are incredibly tedious (I just beat the one in the ocean where you're surfing around on a board). They're so big that half the time you can't see what they're doing and you end up getting hit from off-camera, which is not fun. Then there's QTEs upon QTEs anytime you want to do any damage to them. And on top of that there are some really obnoxious shooter segments like the motorcycle and the missile.

Also the plot is complete nonsense.

I already bought Bayonetta 2 on Switch, so I'm not asking whether it's worth buying. I'm just wondering whether I should bother playing it if I find Bayo 1 tedious.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Bayo 2 is a damn sight easier than Bayo 1 on normal difficulty and there's a lot less giant bosses so maybe. It also removes most of the extraneous shooter segments.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
So I finally got the Climax edition and started Bayo 1 undocked and finished the prologue, really enjoying myself. Everything seems fine frame rate wise but does that continue throughout the whole game undocked?

I'm reading that the game has severe drops in portable mode. I hope it's nothing under 20 fps.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
after giving up on trying to find a retail copy that included both game (the only version shops imported here is the arabic and south east asia version with only bayonetta 2) i finally got the first game on eshop, and just finished it
OH MY FUCKING GOD
it was soooo good. i'm in love with the game. now i need to get the physical version of the second game, also again
IT WAS SO GOOD

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
after giving up on trying to find a retail copy that included both game (the only version shops imported here is the arabic and south east asia version with only bayonetta 2) i finally got the first game on eshop, and just finished it
OH MY FUCKING GOD
it was soooo good. i'm in love with the game. now i need to get the physical version of the second game, also again
IT WAS SO GOOD
welcome to the club

also, if you are in for the combat, prepare to be disappointed by bayo 2,it's still goodthough, but it doesn't touch bayo1's

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
welcome to the club

also, if you are in for the combat, prepare to be disappointed by bayo 2,it's still goodthough, but it doesn't touch bayo1's
i definitely loved the combat. i did play on easy tho (i know, shame on me) but i wanted to have an easy experience the first time i play the game. i will replay the game on normal soon for sure.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i definitely loved the combat. i did play on easy tho (i know, shame on me) but i wanted to have an easy experience the first time i play the game. i will replay the game on normal soon for sure.
bayo 1 gets better the more you get into the mechanics an up the ante in difficulty

jeanne 4 boss battle at ultimate climax it's still one of the best fights i have ever played on a videogame

bayo 2 on the other hand gets worse the more you play it but it's more palatable for the average customer.