• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

Baywatch has undergone the same remastering process that TNG, the X-Files and several 90s shows has undergone.
Apparently this may drive a reboot of the show.

"To remaster 242 episodes of Baywatch and replace over 400 songs cleared for streaming was a monumental project, but with the dedication of the team involved and the superb work done by the remastering houses it was completed within 11 months. The results were stunning and the international TV market agreed, having now sold to 12o countries."

www.forbes.com

How Baywatch Once Again Became One Of The Most Widely Distributed Series

Baywatch is available in 120 countries on countless streaming services, cable networks, and broadcast TV channels. How an old-time hit came back despite the odds.
deadline.com

FremantleMedia Eyes ‘Baywatch’ Reboot After Remastering 35MM Print Into HD

FremantleMedia has remastered Baywatch into HD and will start shopping it to global broadcasters, while also eyeing a new reboot .

Honestly it does look amazing. I want more shows from the 90s to undergo this process.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great restoration, but the move to widescreen losing picture on the top and bottom sucks. Hasn't the Simpsons and Seinfeld bullshit taught people to just keep native aspect ratios?

J75

Sep 29, 2018
This was one of those shows where the post production was done on video in SD, right? Those are always a pain to remaster. X-Files and TNG were herculean efforts. Nice to see another example, but extremely disappointed on the image cropping.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's a cold looking summer. Generally not a fan of changes to color correction in these kinds of remasters or restorations. I get the desire to get more natural looking colors, but there is always something lost in the process.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Ohhhh that explains it! Was playing at the gym a few times, and I wasn't sure if it was Baywatch or like a reboot or something, because the quality of it looked THAT good. Usually shows from the 90s have a bit of grain or that look where you know that it was made at a low resolution rate, but this looked like it was done in present-day.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
This was one of those shows where the post production was done on video in SD, right? Those are always a pain to remaster. X-Files and TNG were herculean efforts. Nice to see another example, but extremely disappointed on the image cropping.

At the very least I'd assume Baywatch doesn't have special effect shots like the sci-fi shows, so it's really just a re-edit of the scanned film elements rather than recompositing multiple ship passes together, for example.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
That's a cold looking summer. Generally not a fan of changes to color correction in these kinds of remasters or restorations. I get the desire to get more natural looking colors, but there is always something lost in the process.
It doesn't seem that egregious based on the credits. And to be honest, the sea in the original SD titles looked like greenish-yellow soup; the remaster at least makes it look like water again.

I do agree that some of the beach shots look a bit too cold, though. Looks like they went with a policy that sand had to be pristine white, and everything else was getting tuned accordingly.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Airs every Friday on H&I as part of their weekday programming block with a lot of other 80s/90s shows (MacGuyver!). Just as in my teens, I find myself watching it for the early seasons and then tuning out episodes in the later seasons...

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
they had to replace 400 songs? Goddamn. The show isn't going to feel the same at all.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It's entirely based on my monitor (I should look on my phone screen, probably) but the remaster definitely looks a bit more "red" compared to the original, but it's also a shitload cleaner and more colorful. The first wide shot of the beach is crazy to look at. I'm convinced at this point, though, that every time we do this it only looks more dialed-up because so many of us are just so used to NTSC coloring that getting into a color standard that's actually a standard to correct it makes it look off. This isn't the Matrix green grading at work, it's legit what your brain remembers versus what is reality.

It's a great restoration, but the move to widescreen losing picture on the top and bottom sucks. Hasn't the Simpsons and Seinfeld bullshit taught people to just keep native aspect ratios?
If you look at the comparison more you'll notice it's not just cropping the top and bottom, it's actually reframing it in a lot of cases. There's more on the sides but sometimes less on the top and bottom. Hell some of it is just straight up changing shots, too.

OP
OP
Wrexis

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Also I just found out MacGyver has been remastered so that's my weekend sorted.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
There's a fantastic clip of an episode Carrie Anne Moss was on where she played twins (one which was evil).

www.youtube.com

Carrie Anne Moss Cameo | Baywatch Remastered

Some famous faces, as you’ve never seen them before star turn in the world-wide hit show Baywatch – available for the first time in HD! The newly remastered ...

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If you look at the comparison more you'll notice it's not just cropping the top and bottom, it's actually reframing it in a lot of cases. There's more on the sides but sometimes less on the top and bottom. Hell some of it is just straight up changing shots, too.
Yeah, the extra footage on the sides isn't really a positive, since scenes were never staged or framed with that footage intended to be visible. At best it adds nothing, at worst you might see some crew or equipment pop up once in a while.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Boys club behaviour
( . ) ( . ) ------------ ( . ) ( . )
----------- ( . ) ( . ) ----------- ( . ) ( . )

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty great how keeping the film negative paid off in the long run. Other 90s shows are sadly forever trapped in SD

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't watch all the episodes but replacing music always sucks

They know what they're doing with that thumbnail though

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hopefully hbo max or netflix gets the rights. i don't want to have to get another streaming app to watch. i definitely want to watch it over once more in hd.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
This has been available for at least two years, the Blurays already got a re-release as a complete box set.

The german Blurays also include the standard definition version of the episodes with the original music and those episodes are also uncut, some remastered episodes are edited when they had to remove on screen performances of some songs.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's pretty great how keeping the film negative paid off in the long run. Other 90s shows are sadly forever trapped in SD
Imagine one of the most popular anime series of all time having its master audio chucked in the garbage so the only remaining audio was crappy mono until people uncovered VHS recordings of the original TV broadcast

latest

that would be something

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
This has been known for a good couple of years, now. If you want to see a more detailed comparison between the original and remastered versions, Allison Pregler (formerly Obscurus Lupa) put out a video focusing on the issues related to the new version, including straight up excising scenes that they couldn't clear the music for (e.g., the Little Richard episode).

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London

A few people on Twitter and Reddit being mad about it doesn't change the fact that internationally broadcasters simply will not buy 4:3 material under any circumstances. It makes no economic sense to keep the native aspect ratios.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when I was very little, like 3 or 4, I used to called Mitch "Bitch" because our reception to Baywatch's channel was crap and that's what I heard his name to be.

For YEARS afterwards, my family would all called Mitch "Bitch" instead just to rib me -_-

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised they didn't colour grade it to hell and back. It honestly looks fantastic and I wish more modern shows looked this aesthetically pleasing.

You can clearly see in the comparison video of the intro that its gaining a bunch on the left and right as well.

The Buffy remaster shows that this isn't always a good thing.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017