• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Funding update: When I posted it it had a mere 80 dollars. As of now they have $25,460 USD raised by 548 backers - 4/7 @ 1:22pm EST

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-bazaar--4#/

It started with the core idea of deckbuilding. Most card games have you build a deck upfront, and then the gameplay portion is completely separate - but deckbuilding is one of the most fun parts of card games. So what if the deckbuilding was the gameplay? What if every game featured you building up a deck, making interesting decisions and tradeoffs along the way?

This isn't just a dream of mine anymore, it is now a fully working prototype, with hundreds of card already designed and drawn. We have a full team working on this game, iterating on the core gameplay and honing in our art style.

For those who don't know who Andre "Reynad" Yanyuk is... he is a former MTG pro who made a name for himself in Hearthstone streaming/pro player early on. He launched a pro team for hearthstone early on and has since expanded it to many other games including Heroes of the storm, pubg, WOW, various fighting games as well.

He is also known for his salt while playing hearthstone (google for some luls).

I was watching his stream yesterday and he compared his card game like this, if hearthstone is the digitized version of magic the gathering, then Bazaar is the digitized version of Dominion.

edit:
According to Lumination dominion shares some core concepts but differs in some mechanics. So don't get hung up on the whole "copy cat" nonsense. We've seen tons of games iterate on established genres. No need to be that person who tries to insult a project just because it's not utterly and completely new.

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Does this mean all cards for all players from the get-go? If TGC and CCG have one big downside it's the grind/pay2win for good cards.
I also really like the concept of deckbuilding mechanics. I casually play Ascension, Legendary Encounter Aliens and Thunderstone in physical form and they are all great. I also really liked Star Realms.

OP
OP
Mobius and Pet Octopus
Oct 25, 2017
But there is a digital version of Dominion. And yeah they deserve their entire lunch eaten from right under their noses with how amateur the digital game looks.

There was also a digital version of MTG.

Does this mean all cards for all players from the get-go? If TGC and CCG have one big downside it's the grind/pay2win for good cards.
I also really like the concept of deckbuilding mechanics. I casually play Ascension, Legendary Encounter Aliens and Thunderstone in physical form and they are all great. I also really liked Star Realms.

It sounds like you get all the cards for your class. And you start with classes and unlock/buy others. He was stressing how consumer friendly it will be, but we'll have to wait to see specific details to know for sure. But it sounds like if you have say, rogue unlocked, then you have access to all the cards rogue can play. And they add to the game by adding new classes rather than new cards to the rogue class (or maybe both? no idea!).

Dosmo

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sound cool, but the description kind of reads like he invented the idea of a deck building game. No mention of Dominion, etc.

OP
OP
Mobius and Pet Octopus
Oct 25, 2017
Sound cool, but the description kind of reads like he invented the idea of a deck building game. No mention of Dominion, etc.

I really don't know exactly what he meant by the comparison. I've never played Dominion, all I know is they both fall under the category of deckbuilding card game which apparently means a card game where you build your deck throughout a match.

Maybe someone with Dominion knowledge can illuminate us.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
He did invent every single deck ever in hearthstone, so is only natural he makes a game

That fivehead was working overtime to come up with this genius game

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't know exactly what he meant by the comparison. I've never played Dominion, all I know is they both fall under the category of deckbuilding card game which apparently means a card game where you build your deck throughout a match.

Maybe someone with Dominion knowledge can illuminate us.
Dominion fan reporting in.

Dominion is pretty much the defacto grandpappy of deck builders. The core concept is the same here, where you draw 5 cards every turn and play out your hand to build your deck, making your further turns better and better. But there's a lot of deviation where you can farm monsters or go face here. In Dominion, you buy better cards (aka farm monsters) or buy points (aka go face) but there are enough differences where I wouldn't consider it a clone.

That said, every card game fan should give Dominion a try. It's a fantastic game with friends with over 10yrs of expansions to spice things up.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Seems interesting, especially since you don't have to grind cards. The backer rewards doesn't seem all that interesting though.

C-Drive

Oct 26, 2017
Seems interesting, especially since you don't have to grind cards. The backer rewards doesn't seem all that interesting though.

Yeah hard to want to back if I don't know what "triple my in game currency" actually buys...

Aside from that though (which I think they'll get around to explaining at some point), it looks interesting and I'll probably put something down on it once there's a better explanation.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I like the sounds of this. I'll play it.

OP
OP
Mobius and Pet Octopus
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, they went from 80 dollars when I created the thread and up to $25,460.

Dominion fan reporting in.

Dominion is pretty much the defacto grandpappy of deck builders. The core concept is the same here, where you draw 5 cards every turn and play out your hand to build your deck, making your further turns better and better. But there's a lot of deviation where you can farm monsters or go face here. In Dominion, you buy better cards (aka farm monsters) or buy points (aka go face) but there are enough differences where I wouldn't consider it a clone.

That said, every card game fan should give Dominion a try. It's a fantastic game with friends with over 10yrs of expansions to spice things up.

Thanks for chiming in.

I'll update the OP some to clarify this for people.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mobius and Pet Octopus
Oct 25, 2017
Brief update for the thread, I haven't been following that closely but this video demos the conceptual build and talks about the mechanics and some ways the game differs from the other deckbuilding games.

They've raised about 94k out of 150k. 1 week left, but he says either way the game will be made.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
You can already play Ascension and Star Realms digitally.

This seems weird that each player can only buy cards from their own specific market. The replayability and balance of deck builders comes from everyone having the same set of options that rotate. This makes the game feel a bit more on-rails.