• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was recommended that I cross post this from EtcetEra for awareness, particularly as we move towards a new generation of consoles. Letting people make informed decisions about where they're willing to put their money is the best thing anyone can do here.

Here's the latest on the various abuses in electronics and video game manufacturing in China against the Uyghur and other ethnic minorities in China:

BBC said:
Thousands of Muslims from China's Uighur minority group are working under coercive conditions at factories that supply some of the world's biggest brands, a new report says.
The Australian Strategic Policy Institute said this was the next phase in China's re-education of Uighurs.
China has already detained about a million Uighurs at internment camps, punishing and indoctrinating them.

And in literal slavery news:

Between 2017 and 2019, the ASPI think tank estimates that more than 80,000 Uighurs were transferred out of the far western Xinjiang autonomous region to work in factories across China. It said some were sent directly from detention camps.
ASPI said the Uighurs were moved through labour transfer schemes operating under a central government policy known as Xinjiang Aid.
According to the report, the factories claim to be part of the supply chain for 83 well-known global brands, including Nike, Apple and Dell.
The report said it was "extremely difficult" for Uighurs to refuse or escape the work assignments, with the threat of "arbitrary detention" hanging over them.

It added that there was evidence of local governments and private brokers being "paid a price per head" by the Xinjiang government to organise the assignments, which ASPI describes as "a new phase of the Chinese government's ongoing repression" of Uighurs.

I don't think our convenient electronics are worth this at all. Not one bit.
www.bbc.co.uk

China Uighurs 'moved into factory forced labour' for foreign brands

A report says China has moved minority Muslims into factory jobs, where their freedom is restricted.

Update 3/2:
Linked Report: https://www.aspi.org.au/report/uyghurs-sale
See Threadmarks for the full list including Apple, Google, Microsoft, Nintendo, Samsung & Sony.

Video Games:
Report highlights
  • On 17 May 2018, 105 Uyghur workers were transferred from Keriya county, Xinjiang, to Hubei Yihong Precision Manufacturing Co. Ltd in Xianning, Hubei province.
  • Hubei Yihong Precision Manufacturing Co. Ltd (湖北奕宏精密制造有限公司) is a subsidiary of Dongguan Yidong Electronic Co. Ltd (东莞市奕东电子有限公 司) and produces precision parts for electronics such as backlights and battery covers.
  • According to their website, Dongguan Yidong Electronic Co. Ltd says they supply directly to BYD, Goertek, Mitsumi, TDK and Toshiba. Their LCD components are directly supplied to Kyocera and BOE. Their end customers include Amazon, Apple, Cisco, General Electric, Google, Haier, HP, Huawei, Microsoft, Mitsubishi, Nintendo, Oculus, Oppo, Panasonic, Samsung, Siemens, Sony, and ZTE.
Next up: FoxConn
  • As reported in late 2019, 560 Xinjiang workers were transferred to work in factories in central Henan province, including to Foxconn Technology in Zhengzhou, Henan province
  • Foxconn Technology, a Taiwanese company, is the biggest contract electronics manufacturer in the world.
  • Foxconn has supplied brands like Amazon, Apple, Dell, Google, HP, Huawei, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, and Xiaomi. Foxconn's Zhengzhou, Henan facility reportedly makes half of the world's iPhones and is the reason why Zhengzhou city is dubbed the "iPhone city". Foxconn's website says their brands and 'marketing channels' include Nokia and Sharp

List of companies benefitting, including gaming companies
OP
OP

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like a list of all 83 brands, please. Listing them all in the OP would be expedient.

Sure, here's the full list from the report. Threadmarking to ensure that it's easily found or referenced elsewhere:

Australian Strategic Policy Institute's Report said:
In all, ASPI's research has identified 83 foreign and Chinese companies directly or indirectly benefiting from the use of Uyghur workers outside Xinjiang through potentially abusive labour transfer programs as recently as 2019:
  • Abercrombie & Fitch,
  • Acer,
  • Adidas,
  • Alstom,
  • Amazon,
  • Apple,
  • ASUS,
  • BAIC Motor,
  • BMW,
  • Bombardier,
  • Bosch,
  • BYD,
  • Calvin Klein,
  • Candy,
  • Carter's,
  • Cerruti 1881,
  • Changan Automobile,
  • Cisco,
  • CRRC,
  • Dell,
  • Electrolux,
  • Fila,
  • Founder Group,
  • GAC Group (automobiles),
  • Gap,
  • Geely Auto,
  • General Electric,
  • General Motors,
  • Google,
  • H&M,
  • Haier,
  • Hart Schaffner Marx,
  • Hisense,
  • Hitachi,
  • HP,
  • HTC,
  • Huawei,
  • iFlyTek,
  • Jack & Jones,
  • Jaguar,
  • Japan Display Inc.,
  • L.L.Bean,
  • Lacoste, Land Rover,
  • Lenovo,
  • LG,
  • Li-Ning,
  • Mayor,
  • Meizu,
  • Mercedes-Benz,
  • MG,
  • Microsoft,
  • Mitsubishi,
  • Mitsumi,
  • Nike,
  • Nintendo,
  • Nokia,
  • The North Face,
  • Oculus,
  • Oppo,
  • Panasonic,
  • Polo Ralph Lauren,
  • Puma,
  • Roewe,
  • SAIC Motor,
  • Samsung,
  • SGMW,
  • Sharp,
  • Siemens,
  • Skechers,
  • Sony,
  • TDK,
  • Tommy Hilfiger,
  • Toshiba,
  • Tsinghua
  • Tongfang,
  • Uniqlo,
  • Victoria's Secret,
  • Vivo,
  • Volkswagen,
  • Xiaomi,
  • Zara,
  • Zegna,
  • ZTE.
  • Some brands are linked with multiple factories.
The data is based on published supplier lists, media reports, and the factories' claimed suppliers. ASPI reached out to these 83 brands to confirm their relevant supplier details. Where companies responded before publication, we have included their relevant clarifications in this report. If any company responses are made available after publication of the report, we will address these online.

Oggmeiler

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling and Dismissing Human Rights Violations; Numerous Prior Bans for Trolling
Stop posting sinophobic stuff like this.

bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
FFFFFFuuuuck. Well I don't think they were transferred just because next gen is coming and would probably wound up doing other stuff but damn this is depressing
Edit: by transferred I meant imprisoned

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
It would be extremely difficult to boycott this list honestly. What other pressures are there. Social media campaigns and writing directly to them?

As it stands these companies tacitly endorse slavery.

Anchelepizze

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
Whew, its basically 95% of the world's electronics brands. We're doomed, aren't we.

But hey, at least now era can sleep safe and sound knowing China is working hard to not delay the next gen! Sony should learn from them!

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ufs-fig9.jpg

Wow.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
We need to make it very clear to these companies that they can't just sweep this shit under the rug.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Edit: Slavery or any form of forced labour is never okay. Fuck the Chinese communist party.

Is this effecting all Muslims in China? People like to generalise but this is not a religious persecution but an ehtnic persecution. The uygurs have seperetist aspritations so of course you know the government is not going to accept that. There are other Muslism in China like the Hui for example who are not as persecuted. As far as I know.

This is not me defending the Chinese regime btw. Just pointing out some details people gloss over.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Thank you for bringing this over to gaming side.

People must be made aware of where their money is going so that they can make a moral choice with what they choose to support and where they are willing to apply pressure as a consumer to help force change.

That's like every tech/popular apparel company on that list.
I was pleasantly surprised to not see Kering, Hermès, or LVMH on there. Biggest luxury players not involved here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The questions are how much do these companies know, why didn't they know more at the time, and when are they taking steps to get production out of China. I'm going to guess a larger portion at least partially knew the situation and the rest just simply didn't ask enough questions. That is NOT an acceptable answer btw.

As for the final question, it better be being worked on today and bearing fruits fast.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thank you for bringing this over to gaming side.

People must be made aware of where their money is going so that they can make a moral choice with what they choose to support and where they are willing to apply pressure as a consumer to help force change.

I was pleasantly surprised to not see Kering or LVMH on there.

Yeh this needs to be here in the gaming side. Stop the slave labour, increase hardware costs if you have too. I'd rather buy a 1000EUR console if it meant it was being manufactured humanely.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
Is this effecting all Muslims in China? People like to generalise but this is not a religious persecution but an ehtnic persecution. The uygurs have seperetist aspritations so of course you know no the goverment is going to accept that. There are other Muslism in China like the Hui for example who are not as persecuted. As far as I know.

This is not me defending the Chinese regime btw. Just pointing out some details people gloss over.

I frankly don't think that changes much. I am of the mind set that if a group of people want to separate from a country, then let them decide for themselves the benefits and costs democratically. Disallowing them to make that decision or even worse forcing them into "re-education" programs and coercing them to do labour is not the right approach.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
We need to make it very clear to these companies that they can't just sweep this shit under the rug.

Yeah this is the approach, not "welp, too many companies so not much we can do about it!"

A petition or even just emailing their customer service centers to let them know this is not acceptable and they should demonstrate they have taken steps to mitigate or divest from these practices.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
God damn it.

How do we get the ear of game companies about this? A call for a boycott is probably going to be ineffective...

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I frankly don't think that changes much. I am of the mind set that if a group of people want to separate from a country, then let them decide for themselves the benefits and costs democratically. Disallowing them to make that decision or even worse forcing them into "re-education" programs and coercing them to do labour is not the right approach.

Oh my post wasn't an excuse or anything. Just pointing out the details as most just break it down to "China hates muslims" which is unfair to what's actually going on Xinjiang.

Any people who want to seperate from a state should be allowed to. Hong Kong should be free. Taiwan should be allowed to declare its independence. Xinjiang should be allowed to become East Turkestan Etc.

Pokiehl

Oct 29, 2017
Is this effecting all Muslims in China? People like to generalise but this is not a religious persecution but an ehtnic persecution. The uygurs have seperetist aspritations so of course you know the government is not going to accept that. There are other Muslism in China like the Hui for example who are not as persecuted. As far as I know.

Edit: I see your post providing clarification/context.

Last edited:

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
The questions are how much do these companies know, why didn't they know more at the time, and when are they taking steps to get production out of China. I'm going to guess a larger portion at least partially knew the situation and the rest just simply didn't ask enough questions. That is NOT an acceptable answer btw.

As for the final question, it better be being worked on day.

So can we expect a response from any of the bigger corporations on that list?

MS was waving the climate change flag pretty hard in the past but I guess this is where they draw the line.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's like every tech/popular apparel company on that list.

Yep. You can definitely boycoyy stuff like Adidas or Nike, but most of us being tech enthusiasts to an extent, good luck skipping: Acer, Amazon, Apple, ASUS, Bosch, Candy, Cisco, Dell, Electrolux, Google, Hitachi, HP, HTC, Huawei, Lenovo, LG, Microsoft, Nintendo, Oculus, Oppo, Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, Siemens, Sony, TDK, Toshiba and Xiaomi in the coming years. You own an Android phone or an Apple phone? You're in. Gaming console? You're in. A PC? Probably in, if not else through Windows. That's not even mentioning the domestic electronics stuff.

Boycotting everything is simply not feasible, not at large surely. Stuff like this will either be fixed because it will be state-regulated thanks to either China coming to senses or other countries forcing them to do it, or it'll never really change anytime soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm double surprised they weren't on it, if I'm being honest here. Wondering if they are even made in China or they get materials from China and manufacture elsewhere.
From what I've read in the past, they get some materials from China. But good on them if their products are not passing through literal slave labor.

Imagine having to say that as a positive in the year of our lord two thousand and twenty. What the fuck, really.

Yep. You can definitely boycoyy stuff like Adidas or Nike, but most of us being tech enthusiasts to an extent, good luck skipping: Acer, Amazon, Apple, ASUS, Bosch, Candy, Cisco, Dell, Electrolux, Google, Hitachi, HP, HTC, Huawei, Lenovo, LG, Microsoft, Nintendo, Oculus, Oppo, Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, Siemens, Sony, TDK, Toshiba and Xiaomi in the coming years. You own an Android phone or an Apple phone? You're in. Gaming console? You're in. A PC? Probably in, if not else through Windows. That's not even mentioning the domestic electronics stuff.

Boycotting everything is simply not feasible, not at large surely. Stuff like this will either be fixed because it will be state-regulated thanks to either China coming to senses or other countries forcing them to do it, or it'll never really change anytime soon.
No, you can boycott buying future electronics until you're sure your company of choice is NOT using slave fucking labor to assemble it. You can call your local representative or congressman. You can write to the company. You can sign petitions.

FOH with it being "simply nto feasible". Yes, yes it is. The question is simple: do you give a shit or not?

Making things hurt in the pocketbook is the most effective way to facilitate change. That might mean a temporary inconvenience, but can contribute to stopping a human emergency. So again, the question is simple: do you give a shit? Or will you glide your hand over the smooth plastic of your next electronic purchase, shrug, and say, "welp, nothing more I could have done."

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
This is disgusting and disappointing.
I don't feel good about supporting any of these companies... :/

Perhaps Kotaku or other publications can help ensure this issue gets seen by the right eyes in the industry so that this can start to change?

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I have to ask myself how I can show these companies my disapproval of this? Should I stop using my PS4? Should I stop using Windows? Should I not buy Animal Crossing? Should I stop using my iPhone? These products are so intertwined in my daily life. I hate what is happening. But I just don't know where I can make a difference. 😔

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020
So because some Uygurs desire their own state the government can force them into slavery?

Didn't I write "I'm not defending the Chinese regime"?. Forced labour is never okay.

I'll put in an edit if people are confused as to what I mean.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
This is horrible but I'm, sadly, not surprised. There are so many things we consume that are produced by slaves or people that get almost no pay.

Chocolate for example.