• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I work for a multinational retailer (though not in its biggest market) and already raised this with the relevant local buyers when I saw this thread posted, I'm not sure what will happen but I'll raise it again next week.

Good on you, more people should be raising this when it's relevant to their workspace.

Just throwing an ask out there to jschreier for some potential kotaku coverage. It's crazy to have seen almost no coverage from tech sites. Not even Wired who has actually been doing semi-regular coverage of Uyghur muslim oppression in China.

Deleted member 19954

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Downplaying human rights violations.
Just want to share the views of Chinese in the mainland on Uighur's issue.

Hope the mods let me talk about this, not just banned me.
Just assume I am brainwashed by Chinese government regarding this issue.

In any right mind, almost nobody in the mainland support this, this issue simply does not exist.
Because the government intention is to give training to the minorities in order for them to find way of living.

Why the need to do such extreme "retraining camp" (as other called it concentration camp)?
This is due to these minorities at poverty condition, once exposed to extremist views, could be convinced to do terrorism attack.
In fact these chain of events are started with the Separation movement and then the terrorism attack at XinJiang.

Inside China, the government has managed to give skill to them, let them get the job, they get to keep on living "freely".

Now the reporting of the west media is totally different from China perspective.

The terrorism attack are not reported the same when it happened on other countries.
It is regarded as Conflict,

Re-education camp are reported as concentration camp.
Making them learn Chinese are reported as forcing them to forget their culture and ethnic cleansing.
More ridiculous were forcing them to eat pork and beer.

It get worst when we mention Organ Harvesting, All news regarding this are linked to Falun Gong.
A simple search on Falun Gong, Epoch Times would easily made them an non credible sources.
But reporting bad China is easily absorbed. even worst in reddit /worldnews

There is no reason for China Government to do all these things, other than keeping the region for themselves.
They need to keep this region, as even appearing as tough as they can, China is extremely fragile.
Allowing one ion to leave will cause others to do the same as they view the government as weak.
It bring no benefit in treating the minorities badly.
What is the point really? The could just bring out the tanks and roll over everyone to cause fear.

On this topic regarding Uighur are forced to these factory, in China, it is reported as China government has helped the minorities to gain a way of living in China by giving them skill to communicate with local.

The result, minorities get lift out of poverty, extremist views are limited, terrorism attack are gone(at least for now).

There are much larger issues such as working condition which causes suicide in many places.
There is no lack of labours in China to force minorities to work.
Some companies even outright reject Uighur for jobs.
Is it wrong for government to give job to these people? are they supposed to be left alone to faith?

How would other country deal with this issue if it happens in their country?
A region where the minorities has low income and ability, get threaten by Chinese from other region moving there stealing their jobs.
How would you change how China deal with this?
All the reporting are criticizing how they did this. Not how they should treat it.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
hopefully this century we get to see a day when China pays for all it's disgusting crimes against humanity.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

In any right mind, almost nobody in the mainland support this, this issue simply does not exist.
Because the government intention is to give training to the minorities in order for them to find way of living.

Why the need to do such extreme "retraining camp" (as other called it concentration camp)?
This is due to these minorities at poverty condition, once exposed to extremist views, could be convinced to do terrorism attack.
In fact these chain of events are started with the Separation movement and then the terrorism attack at XinJiang.

Inside China, the government has managed to give skill to them, let them get the job, they get to keep on living "freely".

Now the reporting of the west media is totally different from China perspective.

The terrorism attack are not reported the same when it happened on other countries.

Making them learn Chinese are reported as forcing them to forget their culture and ethnic cleansing.

It get worst when we mention Organ Harvesting, All news regarding this are linked to Falun Gong.
A simple search on Falun Gong, Epoch Times would easily made them an non credible sources.

There is no reason for China Government to do all these things, other than keeping the region for themselves.
They need to keep this region, as even appearing as tough as they can, China is extremely fragile.
Allowing one ion to leave will cause others to do the same as they view the government as weak.
What is the point really? The could just bring out the tanks and roll over everyone to cause fear.

On this topic regarding Uighur are forced to these factory, in China, it is reported as China government has helped the minorities to gain a way of living in China by giving them skill to communicate with local.

The result, minorities get lift out of poverty, extremist views are limited, terrorism attack are gone(at least for now).

There are much larger issues such as working condition which causes suicide in many places.
Is it wrong for government to give job to these people? are they supposed to be left alone to faith?

A region where the minorities has low income and ability, get threaten by Chinese from other region moving there stealing their jobs.
All the reporting are criticizing how they did this. Not how they should treat it.

No wonder Muslims are getting genocided in China, if many of its citizens are holding this kind of view.

I want to say so many terrible things to you right now, but I'll settle with fuck off, you POS. If this warrants me getting a warning or a ban, I don't care. Fuck. Off. You. Piece. Of. Shit.

Deleted member 19954

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No wonder Muslims are getting genocided in China, if many of its citizens are holding this kind of view.

I want to say so many terrible things to you right now, but I'll settle with fuck off, you POS. If this warrants me getting a warning or a ban, I don't care. Fuck. Off. You. Piece. Of. Shit.
That was not my view, that is how most people in China view.
If you have any message that i could spread to them to fix these, i would gladly do so.
Show them how to fix this problem.
All i see in western board are "fuck china" "fuck their economy" "fuck them for supporting the gov"
But we are looking at billion of people, that are being lifted out of poverty.
You want to them to crush their economy and go back to living in poverty?

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
So far only microsoft said / did something right ? Is this on the news anywhere mainstream ?

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
the fact that this had to be pinned speaks volumes about how little people care sadly

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If you have any message that i could spread to them to fix these, i would gladly do so.
All i see in western board are "fuck china" "fuck their economy" "fuck them for supporting the gov"
Aside from most of your both posts being exactly parroting the words of Chinese authorities and the state down to "poverty alleviating initiatives" and JAQing off, I don't think you've read the leaked internal documents of how the internment camps are run and how oppressive they are in physical and social control. While you're banned, spend the time to educate yourself on the leaked 400 pages detailing internment/concentration camps:
www.icij.org

China Cables: Who Are the Uighurs and Why Mass Detention? - ICIJ

To better explain China’s actions and the findings of the China Cables, we answer some key questions about who is involved, the crackdown’s origins, and the significance of the secret documents.
www.nytimes.com

‘Absolutely No Mercy’: Leaked Files Expose How China Organized Mass Detentions of Muslims (Published 2019)

More than 400 pages of internal Chinese documents provide an unprecedented inside look at the crackdown on ethnic minorities in the Xinjiang region.
www.google.co.uk

Data leak details China's 'brainwashing system' - BBC News

Leaked documents show new evidence of China's systematic brainwashing of Uighur and other detainees.

Here's a testimony of a Uyghur woman Mihrigul Tursun to USA Congress (while pro-govt propaganda sources like CGTN try to say she's fake news):

Here's a few documentaries on how the labour programs work, how the Muslims are targeted, and the surveillance systems through undercover reporting:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Wow.

Words can not describe how disgusting of a post this is. Just how fucked up can you be to think this is okay? What a disgusting mess of a post this is.

Oct 25, 2017

Fuck off. This should be a perm ban..

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Fucking hell, they're not being lifted out of poverty, they're being used as literal slave labour. No wonder China is so messed up if they got the majority to believe your nonsense.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You are crazy. What we want is people to have human rights.

Fuck you, your government and anyone that supports such misery inflicted on these people.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I have flat mate from china and his views on Chinese government are pretty much in line with that post.He thinks Western press are against china and the talk of abuse in so called labour camps and factories is overstated.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Argh. Dammit nintendo. I'll have to boycott it until it resolves its nonsense. Just disgusting

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I can't believe we have people like that guy amongst us.

And I can't believe places like that exist in 2020.

I don't think boycotting will help improve the situation, the issue is a lot bigger than that. And I'm not sure if there are many organizations out there willing to help Muslims. This is just tragic. :/

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
I'm currently writing up an article for this, our site is pretty small in the grand scheme of things but every little helps to spotlight it, really.

I have a question though - is Uighur the preferred spelling? I'm seeing Uyghur more often, but I don't wanna step out of line with it.
Thank you for helping to make awareness.

Other than you unfortunately all these people who are claiming they're game journalist can stand in the wall of shame in the history. Keeping an blind eye to this issue after a week, being silent after being notified shows they're just glorified PR for their own gain.
I'll put them into -avoid traffic to their site- list and remind them when the claim of journalism comes. No need to be easy on them. It's a bigger crime when you spare bigger help.

1invisibleB

Feb 27, 2020
UK
Aside from most of your both posts being exactly parroting the words of Chinese authorities and the state down to "poverty alleviating initiatives" and JAQing off, I don't think you've read the leaked internal documents of how the internment camps are run and how oppressive they are in physical and social control. While you're banned, spend the time to educate yourself on the leaked 400 pages detailing internment/concentration camps:
www.icij.org

China Cables: Who Are the Uighurs and Why Mass Detention? - ICIJ

To better explain China’s actions and the findings of the China Cables, we answer some key questions about who is involved, the crackdown’s origins, and the significance of the secret documents.
www.nytimes.com

‘Absolutely No Mercy’: Leaked Files Expose How China Organized Mass Detentions of Muslims (Published 2019)

More than 400 pages of internal Chinese documents provide an unprecedented inside look at the crackdown on ethnic minorities in the Xinjiang region.
www.google.co.uk

Data leak details China's 'brainwashing system' - BBC News

Leaked documents show new evidence of China's systematic brainwashing of Uighur and other detainees.

Here's a testimony of a Uyghur woman Mihrigul Tursun to USA Congress (while pro-govt propaganda sources like CGTN try to say she's fake news):

Here's a few documentaries on how the labour programs work, how the Muslims are targeted, and the surveillance systems through undercover reporting:

Thank you for the well thought out reply to that (no words to describe them) as a Muslim reading what they wrote sickened me even more on-top of the think of your fellow humans. Seen the post late last night and was so vexed by it couldn't even bring myself to reply, one of those i need to get off the internet things.
Lots of OTHERS also had input, and i know there is no need to pat you all on shoulder but seeing that makes us feel more comfortable here so appreciate it as some places online can be real shit show. One of the reasons i avoid so many forums, agree with the sentiment its 2020 wtf is the world doing.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
I don't think we can avoid buying brands, the problem is too systemic. This is an atrocity but also reflects what happens with globalization, we need goods at a market price. All cellphones are made with child labour but they are also our methods of communication to organize against exploitation, the irony. In a sense, using cancel culture to fight this akin to finding a way for us to feel okay about exploitation when it crosses our moral line, not to actually fix anything.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have flat mate from china and his views on Chinese government are pretty much in line with that post.He thinks Western press are against china and the talk of abuse in so called labour camps and factories is overstated.
Supporting reeducation camps and slavery to own the West. That's quite a flat mate you have there. What exactly has the CCP done that has deserved anyone not being against it? From the purges of Mao to Tienanmen Square to today it's been nothing but a horror show.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see this get pinned. Sadly most of the gaming media seems to be ignoring it so far.

I know you are banned but I just want to say I feel sorry for you that you actually believe what you typed. I hope one day China's own citizens will hold their county accountable for these actions.

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan

As a Muslim myself, reading this was very painful, but unfortunately not surprising. This is the opinion that many around the world have adopted, immediately equating extremist views with religion. The Uigher Muslims have been demonized as a justification to put them through indoctrination and it makes me sick to my stomach. What a fucked up world we live in.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

"No, no, see... The slavery is for their benefit. Cus they are lazy terrorists. All of them. Government repeatedly caught on video beating protesters and arresting people who speak out is just trying to help."

Yeah, yeah, fixing their economy by imprisoning and not fucking paying them.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
It's great that this got pinned. Already brought this up to my boss, who, not surprisingly, dismissed it as a "reality we'll have to live with" ...

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sad to see. I wonder if there's any real way to stop China at this point... they're so embedded in the world economy and they clearly have no real pressure to clean up their act.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sad to see. I wonder if there's any real way to stop China at this point... they're so embedded in the world economy and they clearly have no real pressure to clean up their act.

Engagement through trade is folly as it only gives them more levers, but we should never 'cut them off' and allow them to create a parallel international system, which what their development bank is by the way.

Trump's trade war is a mistake, but the underlying issues he is trying to address are not. He should have worked with the Europeans to engage China in that way.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
As a Muslim myself, reading this was very painful, but unfortunately not surprising. This is the opinion that many around the world have adopted, immediately equating extremist views with religion. The Uigher Muslims have been demonized as a justification to put them through indoctrination and it makes me sick to my stomach. What a fucked up world we live in.

China uses the old doctrine of the Soviet Union regarding Islam, religions and modernization in general and are making it even worse thanks to the internet and their own perverted notion of socialism

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't even know how to begin to fix this. Can't boycott a lot of these because of the way they're so tightly integrated into our lives being functional. U.S. companies, at minimum, need to be forced to extract themselves from these supply chains somehow. It has to be a government mandated solution, along with EU countries. Most of our leaders really don't give a fuck, and most citizens don't either, if they're even aware.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I decided that any future electronic purchases may end up being bought 2nd hand. I was going to pre order the new ACNH switch but that's been cancelled.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
If this is the cost of living in a tech focused society it is simply not worth it and we should take a step backwards. Go back to living simpler lives and stop upgrading.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
Nobody ever seems to bat an eyelid Nintendo doing this kind of shit. It befuddles their clean-cut image to know their hardware is being built in gulags

In the meantime, boycott everything. 95% of the time you don't actually need to upgrade your shit

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

What a load of total, utter poppycock.
Some people have been put in these camps JUST for having a beard.

Please wake up.

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Eye-

I'd rather live in poverty at this point than being persecuted for having a beard.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this is the cost of living in a tech focused society it is simply not worth it and we should take a step backwards. Go back to living simpler lives and stop upgrading.
This is the problem. We've entrenched ourselves to the point where we don't have the capacity to let our lives be simpler than before. The sheer volume of societal technological gains in the past twenty years have been at the expense of others in our worker nations that produce said devices. We would need to break the current system and start over in order to change anything.

it's not just China making devices that's led to the problem but we've let the country buy into so much of the international market whether it's through corporations or buying up international debt we are beholden to them.

www.cnbc.com

About half of China's loans to developing countries are 'hidden,' study finds

China's lending to other countries has surged in the past decade, causing debt levels to jump dramatically, and as much as half of such debt to developing economies is "hidden," a new study has found.

It's not just about devices that are manufactured there, China is literally the biggest lender in the world to the developing market so they'd be able to flex their muscle to remain the only viable choice for manufacturing.