• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-45420915

Israel's Supreme Court has rejected appeals against the demolition of a Bedouin village in the occupied West Bank whose fate has been a subject of international concern.

Judges upheld an order to raze Khan al-Ahmar, where about 180 people live in shacks between two Jewish settlements.

Israel's government says the structures were built illegally, but Palestinians say permits are impossible to obtain.

An injunction against the demolition will expire within seven days.

The United Nations has called on Israel to allow the Bedouin to remain on the land, saying such demolitions are against international law.

Khan al-Ahmar, which is 8km (5 miles) east of Jerusalem, was established in the early 1950s by members of a semi-nomadic tribe the UN says was displaced from the Negev desert in southern Israel.

Israel did not recognise Khan al-Ahmar as a residential area after it occupied the West Bank during the 1967 Middle East war, and refused to connect the community to utilities like water and electricity.

Since 2009, residents have been fighting demolition orders issued for the wooden and corrugated iron shacks in which they live, as well as a clinic, mosque and an Italian-funded primary school.

The Israeli government said the structures were built on state-owned land without permits from the Israeli military which, under the 1993 Oslo Accords, has exclusive control over construction in the 60% of the West Bank known as "Area C".

In May, the Supreme Court rejected petitions to prevent the demolitions at Khan al-Ahmar and the relocation of its residents to a site designated by the Israeli government near the Palestinian town of Abu Dis.

After the Israeli military began preparations for the demolitions in July residents filed new petitions to the Supreme Court, including one asking for the original verdict to be overturned and another for the eviction to be delayed until they could find somewhere else to live.

Israeli Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman congratulated the court on Wednesday's ruling upholding the demolition order, which he said had come despite "the orchestrated hypocrisy of Abu Mazen [Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas], the Left and European states".

"Nobody is above the law, nobody will keep us from acting on our sovereignty and responsibility as a state," he added.

The head of the Palestine Liberation Organisation's human rights body, Ahmed al-Tamimi, warned Israel against proceeding with the demolition, calling it a "flagrant challenge to the whole world and a serious violation of the international humanitarian law and human rights".

The UN has previously warned that international humanitarian law requires an occupying power to protect the population of the territory that it occupies, ensure its welfare and wellbeing, as well as the respect for its human rights.

Any destruction of property by the occupying power is prohibited, except when rendered absolutely necessary by military operations, the UN says. The extensive demolition of property is a grave breach of the Fourth Geneva Convention and may amount to a war crime, it adds.

Other than for the security of the population or imperative military reasons, international humanitarian law also prohibits the transfer of the population of an occupied territory without the genuinely and fully informed consent of the affected people, according to the UN.

Khan al-Ahmar is one of 18 Bedouin communities the UN considers being at risk of forcible transfer because they are located in or next to an area near East Jerusalem slated by Israel for Jewish settlement construction. The settlements are considered illegal under international law, though Israel disputes this.

Apparently making comparisons to "they can live in the desert but nowhere else" we're too kind, because apparently Palestinians aren't allowed to live there either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Conflating Jewish people with the actions of the Israeli government.
Jews build illegal settlements: a-ok here let's redraw a map and move in some armed guards. You are now a city under the iron dome.
Palestinians do the same: lol you're not even human what are you doing *sound of bulldozers*

Karasseram

Jan 15, 2018
International law is void when the US is happy being the empire from star wars sitting back going "good good" in Palpatines voice.

rstzkpf

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So how long is Israel going to be allowed to continue this I-can't-believe-it's-not-genocide policy, anyway?

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The Israeli government showing once again that they're evil cunts. This blind eye that our western governments (and often media) turn to it is frankly disgusting and extremely hypocritical when they speak up against other nations for subhuman acts.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I'm unclear here, are the Beduins Palestinians? I'd always thought they were restricted to North Africa.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They have been trying to remove them for a long time and sadly they succeeded.

Fuck these assholes, I hope the same thing happens to their houses one day so that they would feel the pain of these people.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
I like how the razing of a Palestinian village is a footnote below the massive red text making absolutely sure we don't criticize Israel too harshly.

edit: by like I mean hate.

rstzkpf

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well the Empire was intended to be the US by George Lucas so this is a good comparison.
Yeah, and our genocide of the Native Americans is a much better comparison for this too. An unofficial policy of ethnic cleansing, forcing natives off of land because God says so ("Manifest Destiny"), the remaining natives being forced to live on small, shitty "reservations", and of course, hardly any of us even caring about it.

And this will end in Israel the way it ended here: total cultural destruction until only Israelis remain. Sure, you can say shit like, oh, well, the Palestinians are attacking too! Well guess what? The Native Americans did raids on colonial settlements and killed people too. In the end it didn't matter.

Remember: If you're going to compare the Israeli government to a bunch of genocidal maniacs, it's important to compare them to the correct genocidal maniacs.

Last edited:

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
"1. Do not conflate civilians with their leadership: "

But... the people chose their leadership and they're fine with what they're doing?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really sucks how things like these are mostly ignored by the media. It is like no one wants to speak against Israeli government for some shitty reason.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
For the idiots who'll inevitably show up in this thread and who are used to saying Israel isn't erasing Palestine piece by piece, or go "bu bu but Hamas!": The West Bank isn't supposed to be part of Israel in any way, Hamas doesn't run the place, the PLO, which does, have recognized Israel's right to exist ages ago, and like the article says people keep trying to comply with Israel's bullshit laws.

But I'm sure that won't stop you from trying to justify this, or telling Palestinians they need to be more "peaceful" in their resistance. You know, just stop the hateful rhetoric and all will be good...

I said it before and I'll say it again, Israel is the greatest existential threat against Israel.

Now now, there are plenty of adjectives at your disposable that's there's no reason to bring out the "E" word.
Heh, that got a good chuckle out of me.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Netanyahu is right up there with the most fucked leaders on earth. Fuck that guy and everyone that voted for him

I like how the razing of a Palestinian village is a footnote below the massive red text making absolutely sure we don't criticize Israel too harshly.

lol seriously...we get a "both sides" before the thread even started

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what is even more disgusting?

These people will get a choice of paying the Israeli government to teardown the house house or the people do it themselves.

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL

But... the people chose their leadership and they're fine with what they're doing?

It's still a broad generalization though.

For example, the American people chose Trump. However, the USA is a huge country and many millions did not vote for him. Including me. Hell, more voted for Clinton. So it doesn't make sense to just blame Americans as a whole for what Trump and his admin are doing.

I'm no expert on the Israeli political system, but I don't know how fair it is to blame Isrealis as a whole. I should note that I haven't seen any polls indicating whether the populace favors this action or not. I'm hoping there is a substantial amount that are not in agreement.

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really sucks how things like these are mostly ignored by the media. It is like no one wants to speak against Israeli government for some shitty reason.
Don't worry.

Mods on ResetEra are here looking for an excuse to close these threads too because they get too heated (lol at this shit by the way as if you're dealing with riots or something). It ain't just the media. The "progressives" that run this site are fucking cowards too

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a human rights violation, clearly. In shacks with no water or power, because Israel denies the legitimacy of their village? And now to be razed? No, that's not acceptable.

We gotta divest Israel as a US ally until they cease their gross pattern of human rights violations. As long as we give them a blank check to mistreat the Palestinians then they will continue to be emboldened by that support. I also believe that we have to boycott Israeli-made goods. Responsible consumers can't contribute to a nation that has an official policy of apartheid and oppression of an ethnic minority. It's so appalling that Israelis have elected a government that chooses to furher the genocide against the Palestinians. They could have been a beacon of freedom and democracy for the region but have instead been fairly monstrous.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
There should be a thread to discuss moderation policy on issues with Palestine/Israel in the community or a mod section perhaps?

PM's to obviously biased moderators aren't going to go anywhere and we need community discussion on the subject, not proclamations from on high,

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Red text in OP reads like stereo instructions. Stop trying to micromanage the way people feel, think, and talk.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I dont get this either. I mean this isnt North Korea where the civilians have zero influence over the leadership. Israelis voted for the people that are doing this. They HAVE to share the responsibility.

This forum will happily lynch Trump voters but we are gonna give a pass to people voting for straight up ethnic cleansing?

Jan 18, 2018
It's still a broad generalization though.

For example, the American people chose Trump. However, the USA is a huge country and many millions did not vote for him. Including me. Hell, more voted for Clinton. So it doesn't make sense to just blame Americans as a whole for what Trump and his admin are doing.

I'm no expert on the Israeli political system, but I don't know how fair it is to blame Isrealis as a whole. I should note that I haven't seen any polls indicating whether the populace favors this action or not. I'm hoping there is a substantial amount that are not in agreement.

Nobody gets banned for complaining that Americans let Trump happen

It's disgraceful.

Imagine the shit they'd be in if they wrote something similar in a thread discussing police brutality in America.

lol seriously...we get a "both sides" before the thread even started

Excellent point.

Imagine that red text for any other thread...

Not all cops

Not all Trump voters

All lives matter.

That's the line being shoved down our throats

Deleted member 16609

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
People here learned from the Bibi thread on how ERA handles IDF discussions and people THERE brought proof on reasons why they bring such comparisons. No one in that thread was attacking Israeli civilians but the government.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the logic of the red text, no American whatsoever can be blamed by Trump's actions and all the people wishing Trump dead should be banned immediately. That goes for other wonderful people like Duterte because why not. Spencer is also not technically a Nazi since the Nazi Party does not technically exist. So that's out as well. I would compare Israel with South African Apartheid but that would be unfair on those responsible for the Apartheid.

Please provide guidelines on the amount of criticism allowed towards a Nation that is literally commiting genocide on a downtrodden people with the apparent approval of most of its population. I don't want to step out of line.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
I dont get this either. I mean this isnt North Korea where the civilians have zero influence over the leadership. Israelis voted for the people that are doing this. They HAVE to share the responsibility.

This forum will happily lynch Trump voters but we are gonna give a pass to people voting for straight up ethnic cleansing?

You make the distinction quite clear in your quote. Trump voters voted for trump and are responsible for the shit that he is doing.

Not all Israeli's voted for their current government. Therefore, not all Israelis should held accountable for the actions of their government.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Horrible decision on Israeli Supreme Court.

That red text. Didn't expect it so soon.

Santiako

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So can I call Israel's government (not the people, just those in power) nazis or does that get me banned?

OP
OP

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Can I request that a mod delete this thread entirely because I do not want my OP to be swamped by that Red Mod Edit because I don't want to be indirectly associated with it. I fear that if I just delete everything myself I'll get banned again.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Mods, if you don't want to have this discussion about rules flaring up every time in a Palestine thread, I'd suggest you compile what was said and answered by one of the mods (I can't remember the username right now, sorry) in the last thread about Netanyahu and add it to the other stuff you post in the OP.

Was pretty comprehensive if I remember correctly, several posts.

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
a democratically elected government IS a reflection on the society at large and denying that fact is both irresponsible and reckless.

Status
Not open for further replies.