• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
How quickly posters' criticisms of Israel's oppression on this forum spills over into blaming all Jews for it is effing scary.

Please, go ahead and point out where in that post did they blame all Jews? Pointing out privilege is not "blaming". Are we really going to go back to explaining what privilege is?

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Conflating Jewish people with the actions of the Israeli government"

Don't we do this with Americans who vote for Trump or are Republicans?

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm very much in support of this. The region is so complex, that even knowledgeable and informed Americans don't usually understand it fully. This is why I don't usually reply in I/P threads on here...

I appreciate when you do though. You've always been informative and very very fair. And I realise how hard that can be with this situation.

Oct 25, 2017
How quickly posters' criticisms of Israel's oppression on this forum spills over into blaming all Jews for it is effing scary.
"How quickly"?
giphy.webp

"Effing scary"..
Hate this concern trolling bullshit.

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I don't usually like to post in Israel/Palestine threads, but I think I'd like to offer my view on the mod team's policy as an Israeli, who is quite active in anti-occupation activism and other issues in Israel. Specifically, I'll mention two points in the policy:

1) I think it's wrong to not allow comparisons between Israel and Nazism. I understand why such comparisons can be problematic, and I'd rather people use less comparisons to Nazis in internet discourse in general, and there are plenty of more apt comparisons in the case of Israel, but such a blanket ban is silly. Israel is, in many regards, growing more and more fascist, and have rightly earned comparisons to Nazi Germany.

In fact, this rule is a little funny to me since recently a law was proposed (it actually might have even passed, I don't remember) in Israel to disallow comparisons to Nazis. This has lead to quite a popular idiom in the Israeli left "You mustn't compare." You basically use it to point out the thing is so clearly fascist or downright Nazi, but - "You mustn't compare."

So, I don't mean to compare the mod team to the Israeli government - but this policy is quite similar to a law by my government clearly meant to discourage critical discourse in Israel.

2) While I don't think it should be a mod-sanctioned rule, I do agree one shouldn't focus much on blaming all Israeli citizens for the actions of our government. The reason is that Israeli culture is quite complex and not very heterogeneous. Why some groups in Israel vote as they do - is something that is quite complex to explain. For example, Israel's Druze and Bedouine population mostly serve in the IDF and can be quite right wing (though that is more true in regards to Druze than to Bedouine.) In addition, most Mizrahi Jews (Arab-Jews from Muslim countries) also mostly vote right and so do most Ethiopian Jews. Honestly, I'd avoid making any generalization towards Israeli society unless you have familiarity with it. That's not to say most Israelis actually super-care about Palestinians, they sadly do not, and that can and should be criticized.

Great post (which I have added paragraphs to, to make it easier to read, because im a prick)

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Where is he blaming "all Jews" in that post?

He is simply stating a FACT (for which he was banned, great moderation there!).

Jewish settlers are building illegal settlements, NOT the government, though it certainly then uses them as an excuse to annex more land. This is what the poster you quoted stated. This is a fact.

Those fuckers building these illegal settlements are also the same animals throwing rocks at 9 year old Palestinian children on their way to school. They never get in trouble for it though. And these children are under armed guard because these Jewish settlers are likely to butcher them otherwise.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
"Conflating Jewish people with the actions of the Israeli government"

Don't we do this with Americans who vote for Trump or are Republicans?
Americans are not a persecuted race of people. At least not the ones who vote for Trump.

I don't agree with any of the things that Israel does in relation to Palestine but I also think you have to be somewhat measured in your response to what Israel is doing as a country.

There is still a lot of racism and bigotry that Jewish people outside Israel face.

I say the same thing when people are talking about muslims when an Islamic terrorist attack is committed.

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
Americans are not a persecuted race of people. At least not the ones who vote for Trump.

I don't agree with any of the things that Israel does in relation to Palestine but I also think you have to be somewhat measured in your response to what Israel is doing as a country.

There is still a lot of racism and bigotry that Jewish people outside Israel face.

I say the same thing when people are talking about muslims when an Islamic terrorist attack is committed.

Nobody ever talking about the Jewish people on this thread, some people just don't like it when privileges are pointed out,. If you're American, it would be like white people screaming "white genocide" whenever those privileges are challenged. As you'd imagine, it would be quite frustrating for the mods to participate in another exercise of white fragility.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You know, Nazism wasn't exactly sweet towards Eastern Europeans. And yet we have no problem saying that the Polish far right acting like bloody Nazis.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

this should be common sense on a supposedly progressive forum like resetera

Oct 25, 2017
This has been suggested in the past, but the mods/admins team ignore it. And not only regarding this topic, but the abundant islamophobia you see in every topic regarding Islam or the Middle East. But this site seems to like to shield their white majority from stuff like this.
That sucks fam. Reading their thoughts regarding I/P, it's just lip service.
Especially considering the first post getting banned.
Unbelievable..

Status
Not open for further replies.