• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Israel's parliament has passed into law a controversial bill that defines the country as an exclusively Jewish state.

The "Jewish nation state" bill downgrades Arabic as an official language and says advancing Jewish settlement is a national interest.

It also states that the "whole and united" Jerusalem is its capital.

Israeli Arab MPs condemned the legislation but Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu praised it as a "defining moment".

The bill, backed by the country's right-wing government, says "Israel is the historic homeland of the Jewish people and they have an exclusive right to national self-determination in it".

Last week Mr Netanyahu defended the law, saying: "We will keep ensuring civil rights in Israel's democracy but the majority also has rights and the majority decides."

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-middle-east-44881554

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Democracies are also meant to protect the rights and interests of minorities, apparently Bibi didn't get the memo.

Trash.

If the AG is against this law can't he simply refuse to defend it in court? I'm assuming someone will bring a case against this. Also the president not having veto powers at the very least is meh.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
"majority also has rights and the majority decides"

Damn. I'm sure shit like this was used as a justification for slavery.

Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
This'll definitely enable a lot of apartheid policies in the law system.

"Majority also has rights" is a phrase that kinda chills me to the bone. Every person should have rights - human rights are supposed to be inalienable, universal, and inherent. This phrasing kinda implies that only the majority is going to get full human rights protection under the law. I mean it already was, but entrenching it in the law definitely is going to make it worse.

Oct 27, 2017
One day Israel will love their children more than they hate Arabs.

I don't see that day arriving anytime soon. Boycott Israel

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think we will see Isreal as State fail in our lifetime, and I won't be sad about it.

Probably the opposite at this rate, they will wipe out Palestine eventually. Really horrifying what they are doing. Two state is long gone, one state was a worthy option if both parties agreed ages ago but they've just burned all bridges. It's impossible now.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Literally the worst nation ever. To come from 1945 and systematically perpetrate what was done unto them to others (who actually originate there) is sick, sick, sick.

I feel sorry for Jewish people who have to deal with being associated with this travesty of a nation.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/15/israel-turmoil-bill-allowing-jews-arabs-segregated

The president, Reuven Rivlin, said it would harm the Jewish people worldwide and "even be used as a weapon by our enemies". The segregation clause, he said, could also allow towns that exclude Jews of Middle Eastern origin – who have been historically sidelined – or homosexuals.

Legislator Miki Zohar, from the prime minister's Likud party, said: "Unfortunately, President Rivlin has lost it" and had "forgotten his DNA".

Wearing their racial purity intentions on their sleeve it seems.

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
While Israel is unique in many ways I think we should be looking at decisions like this as part of a wider trend of collapsing liberal values in democracies. I could imagine lots of countries implementing similar laws in the next 20-30 years.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
With Israel having nearly 0 real international push back on both constantly stealing more and more land, while also committing slow motion genocide it's not surprising countries like Russia seem to have no fear when stealing Ukranian territory. Not like anyone else is going to actually do something about it.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
It's a national disgrace for America to support such an apartheid state with money, weapons, and diplomatic cover.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
And here we go again.... fuck this piece of shit governement! they'll keep doing this shit and nobody will stop them, this is depressing...

also how long will this thread stay open this time?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what else to say other than fuck anybody supporting the state of Israel and their supporters. Fuck them.

So many people have lost their lives or had their lives destroyed because of it.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
Israel must be enjoying themselves, they can finally do all the things they've wanted to do, because no one gives a fuck anymore with Trump in the news 24/7.

very disappointing, but not shocking. Netanyahu is a piece of trash who deserves zero respect.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason a lot of people in Israel actually say the wrong Netenyahu died. Bibi is a monster and his wife is even worse. This is not surprising in the slightest.

Deleted member 11934

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry for those living in Isreal. Must suck to see your country going backwards even in laws. Crossing fingers that it doesn't happen here too.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone save this Earth from the hands of right wing human trash nutjobs? Please?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This

Sickening development

They have given in and given up on any semblance of legitimacy as a modern nation state.

Why are we regressing so hard around the world. How do we even begin to fix this?
The regressing around the world is amazing and terrifying.

There are a lot of problems but many countries seem to think the solution is being as shitty as possible.

Sad to see a country think that making apartheid the official law is a solution to anything.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
I caught a ban for calling out the long and ugly history of zionism (that predates the establishment of the state of Israel) last time, so I'll just say I agree with the general opinions stated in the posts above me.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
I used to be fairly pro-Israel in the past. I think they had and still are in one of the most dangerous geo-political situations ever to have existed.

I can't support them anymore. Ethically and morally the government has crossed too many lines for me. It's clear to me that the current Israeli government cannot be trusted to do it's part in bringing peace to the region and respecting the rights of the people who live within it.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this is going to be part of the downfall of Israel at some point. First the U.S. needs to stop its bizarre unconditional support.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
I tended to lean towards Isreal side, but this is really, really dumb and stupid thing to do. It's like they deliberately giving arabian people more reasons to hate them, this shit won't help to stop this goddamn conflict, it would make it only worse you stupid fucks.

Last edited:

Proxy-Pie

Apr 3, 2018
So I'm basically a second class citizen now (Non-Jewish Israeli citizen). I wonder how much this will affect me going forward..

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Israeli Arabs are by law, second class citizens based on ethnicity. How can anyone continue to side with this racist, ultranationalistic government.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
"Controversial bill"

My god I hate the centrist media always thinkig that being neutral is a good thing even when dealing with outright hate and fascism