• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am all over this!!

BBC One has commissioned Dracula from the co-creators of multi-award-winning hit BBC drama Sherlock. It will be produced by Hartswood Films and is a co-production between BBC One and Netflix.
The 3x90' mini-series is written and created by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss and inspired by Bram Stoker's classic novel. Three feature length episodes will re-introduce the world to Dracula, the vampire who made evil sexy. In Transylvania in 1897, the blood-drinking Count is drawing his plans against Victorian London. And be warned: the dead travel fast.

Co-creators, writers and executive producers Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss said, "There have always been stories about great evil. What's special about Dracula, is that Bram Stoker gave evil its own hero."

Charlotte Moore, BBC Director of Content, says:"Genius duo Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss turn their attentions to Dracula for unmissable event television on BBC One."

Piers Wenger, Controller of BBC Drama, says: "Steven and Mark's ingenious vision for Dracula is as clever as it is chilling. In their talented hands the fans will experience the power of Bram Stoker's creation as if completely anew. We are thrilled to be collaborating with them and the brilliant team at Hartswood on yet another iconic British series."

Larry Tanz, Vice President, Content Acquisition, Netflix, says: "We can't wait to bring Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss' brilliant storytelling to our members around the world and we are eager to collaborate on yet another series with the BBC."

Sue Vertue, Executive Producer, Hartswood Films, says: "We are absolutely thrilled to be back at the BBC, and also delighted that Netflix are coming on board with Dracula. There's nothing like fresh blood."

Dracula was commissioned by Charlotte Moore, Director of BBC Content and Piers Wenger, Controller of BBC Drama. It is written and created by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss; executive producers are Mark Gatiss, Steven Moffat and Sue Vertue for Hartswood Films, Ben Irving for BBC and will be handled by Larry Tanz for Netflix.

The series will premiere on BBC One in the UK and on Netflix outside of the UK, and China where the service is not available. BBC Studios Distribution, who brokered the deal with Netflix for Hartswood Films, is the international distributor.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
With Moff and Gatiss involved, this is going to be a trainwreck. A ridiculously pretty trainwreck, but a trainwreck nonetheless.

I'm still gonna watch it, though. At least for a few episodes.

Oct 25, 2017
Moffat..
Unsure-Larry-David.gif

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed every season of Sherlock so I'm down for this.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Can't wait to see another stylish edgy version of a pop culture icon that skips the most essential parts of the character, and then begins hating it's own audience.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Sherlock started off fun but became deadass terrible by like the third season. Didnt even bother picking it up again after the christmas special

Love that a Dracula series is coming but skeptical of this. Really hope they refrain from making him some witty cornball

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sherlock started off fun but became deadass terrible by like the third season. Didnt even bother picking it up again after the christmas special

Love that a Dracula series is coming but skeptical of this. Really hope they refrain from making him some witty cornball

I really hope it isn't another one of those "you think you know the real story but you don't" stories that casts the villain as the protagonist and makes all the original protagonists into asshole obstacles for him to overcome.

The Moffat Jekyll/Hyde show was such a mess.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Was hoping this would be true to the original novel, something so many adaptations struggle with, but Moffat's involvement makes me the opposite of hopeful.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it starts as fun as season 1 sherlock and then it's just a one series thing so we don't have to see what it eventually becomes.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Tremendous first post. Every show moffat is responsible for the long term plotting of never reaches any satisfying resolution and drops off in quality after the first season.
Sherlock Series 4, the final episode in particular was awful, but the show was still brilliant, it's the reason Benedict Cumberbatch became popular, and he's responsible for and wrote the best content of new Doctor Who, by far.

He's not perfect but when he's good he's brilliant.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tremendous first post. Every show moffat is responsible for the long term plotting of never reaches any satisfying resolution and drops off in quality after the first season.

He sucks at sticking the landing, yes, but there's still a lot of quality in the journey. Thankfully this is an adaptation of a story most people already know and it'll only be three episodes long (so five or six hours at a push?).

I'm optimistic. Plus I need something like this after Penny Dreadful dropped the ball halfway through the third season then just ended out of the blue.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to this, although I've seen enough Dracula movies by now to conclude that I think the basic story is just really boring.

With Moff and Gatiss involved, this is going to be a trainwreck. A ridiculously pretty trainwreck, but a trainwreck nonetheless.

It's only 3 episodes

This is crazy talk. Gatiss hasn't ever written anything a fraction as good as Moffat's best work.
I think he's better on Sherlock than on Doctor Who, but otherwise, yeah. I really enjoy him as an actor though.

edit: oh wait, I also really enjoyed his Adventure in Space and Time tv movie.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I'm glad they're going for a period piece, because that plays more to Gatiss' strengths.

With that said...

This is crazy talk. Gatiss hasn't ever written anything a fraction as good as Moffat's best work.

All I know is League of Gentlemen is not at all lost up its own ass, and everything Moffat has ever done is a god-damn champion anal spelunker, so by law of elimination I'd hope Gatiss is taking the helm. Otherwise it's going to be two hours of Dracula and Jonathon Harker making out while winking at the camera.

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Hmm, I loved all but one series of Moffat's run on Who. Sherlock I liked but it seemed to indulge Moff's worst impulses.

I'd rather see Moffat's take on The Time Travellers Wife, which he's adapting for HBO.
Press Gang, Coupling and the latter half of his stint on Doctor Who say otherwise.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I enjoyed Season 1 and 2 of Sherlock so I'll at least give the first Episode a look. There are no other Seasons or Episodes of Sherlock by the way. Only 2.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Their ability to nail episodes and early characterisation befire dive-bombing season long story-arcs and toxically flanderise long-term characterisation into a hindenberg-like mess on the BBC's biggest possible budget will always get a watch from me.

I'm legitimately expecting Dracula to hang around glorified British historical figures while preaching non-stop about how weird and stupid normal people are.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I have many issues with Moffat, but they mostly tie into the late game. Here is the plan, let Moffat wrote everything but the ending.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Will Brambleditch Crumplesnatch be in this one?

All I know is League of Gentlemen is not at all lost up its own ass, and everything Moffat has ever done is a god-damn champion anal spelunker, so by law of elimination I'd hope Gatiss is taking the helm. Otherwise it's going to be two hours of Dracula and Jonathon Harker making out while winking at the camera.
Where do I pre-order the 4K UHD Blu-ray of this?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, unfortunately it will be a bunch of baiting. Then followed up by the director sneering at the fans who saw the baiting like they are idiots.

...why yes I am still salty about the contempt Moffat had for the audience, why do you ask?
If anything I thought Moffat had too much fanservice, at its worst in the Sherlock New Years special and Osgood was in Doctor Who was a de facto Doctor Who fan

Oct 25, 2017
Keep Moffat's hands away from popular culture

Hopefully this is a hell of a lot more Gatiss than Moffat.

Lol these responses are surprising. I haven't watched them, but i thought Sherlock and doctor who were really highly reguarded? Why the hate?