• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
Mod Edit Update: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46547246

Prime Minister Theresa May wins confidence vote with 200 out of 317 Tory MPs supporting her to stay on as leader

Could be another dramatic and historic day in British politics tomorrow.

How it works and what might happen:

The 1922 Committee chairman - who is currently an MP called Graham Brady - does not reveal how many letters he has received until it reaches the 15% mark, which means 48 letters would have to be received.

This would trigger a vote of confidence in Mrs May among all Tory MPs that could happen as soon as the next day. It would be a secret ballot, and if she won, she would be immune from challenge for a year.

But if she lost, there would be a leadership contest, and she would not be able to stand.

The 1922 Committee sets the timetable for the contest.

Tory MPs then choose two candidates to present to a vote of the wider membership of the party.

If necessary, they whittle the field down to two with a series of ballots where the lowest-ranking person is eliminated after each round.

Then it is time for the party members to vote for the winner. The two candidates would be expected to take part in debates to put their cases forward to members before the final voting deadline.

If there is only one candidate, that person becomes leader with no need for a vote from members.

Unless there is a general election, the winner of any Tory leadership contest would also be expected to become prime minister.

UPDATE: CONFIRMED

Conservative MPs have triggered a vote of no confidence in Theresa May, plunging the Brexit process into chaos as Tory colleagues indicated they no longer had faith in the prime minister to deliver the deal.

Sir Graham Brady, the chair of the 1922 Committee, has received at least 48 letters from Conservative MPs calling for a vote of no confidence in May. Under party rules, a contest is triggered if 15% of Conservative MPs write to the chair of the committee of Tory backbenchers.

A ballot will be held on Wednesday evening, Brady said.

Brexit in chaos as Tory MPs trigger vote of no confidence in May

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...sa-may?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Last edited by a moderator:

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
It's worth mentioning that Laura almost kind of walked that back in another tweet, saying her sources in No. 10 did not hear this. I wonder who would be first and last to know if Brady directly asked the PM for a meeting when she's been traveling today?

OP
OP
MassiveNights

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
It's worth mentioning that Laura almost kind of walked that back in another tweet, saying her sources in No. 10 did not hear this. I wonder who would be first and last to know if Brady directly asked the PM for a meeting when she's been traveling today?

Here it is for clarity:

Meeting being arranged or not, it's the senior sources saying letter threshold being reached that is the interesting part.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
At this point the Queen might as well step in, dissolve Parliament and retake control. Pretty sure she'd do a better job than any of the morons we've elected to Parliament.

Give democracy a break for 5 years to regain some fucking sense and let Meghan, Kate and the Queen rule in the meantime. I'd be game

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

As an Australian and thus an expert in Prime Ministers being toppled, it isn't unusual for the inner circle to be the last to know.

That said I don't know how this 1922 Chairman works, do they have to notify May and No 10 before they get the necessary signatures?

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
At this point the Queen might as well step in, dissolve Parliament and retake control. Pretty sure she'd do a better job than any of the morons we've elected to Parliament.

Give democracy a break for 5 years to regain some fucking sense and let Meghan, Kate and the Queen rule in the meantime. I'd be game

Ridiculous notion or not at least they'd have the fucking best interests of the country at heart.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I know of someone who put a bet on in January that Theresa May would not be PM by the end of the year.

So very close.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
As an Australian and thus an expert in Prime Ministers being toppled, it isn't unusual for the inner circle to be the last to know.

That said I don't know how this 1922 Chairman works, do they have to notify May and No 10 before they get the necessary signatures?

I think the chair of the 1922 does have to notify the party leader, yes. But as you imply, that may not have reached the cabinet or staff, or someone's tattling.

As an American, I find parliamentary politics fascinating, so. ;-)

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Bring back the royals! DO it!

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
Great. A months long Tory leadership contest. Good thing there are no pressing deadlines fast approaching.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017

Kate has the same feelings for Meghan as May does for Bojo or Rees-Mog.
You're trading one shit show for another!

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
The interesting thing if the vote has been triggered is what this means for the opposition. It seems likely despite everything that May would survive the Tory vote but that means the best chance of getting rid of her is a no confidence vote from the opposition since the Tories couldn't do another one for 12 months. Corbyn has already been promised support by the other parties.

Obviously the main question would be if the Tories who want her out are willing to allow a big win for Labour and Corbyn by abstaining. How ironic would it be if the Brexiteers saved Brexit?

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Kate has the same feelings for Meghan as May does for Bojo or Rees-Mog.
You're trading one shit show for another!

Haha at least they're more likely to try and resolve their issues and work together for the good of the country... ...you know with them being somewhat normal human beings as oppose to the alien creatures currently infesting number 10 and the houses of parliament

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Why on Earth would anybody want to be PM right now with the brexit shitfest happening!?

Hell, I'll be PM for 2 weeks if it means cancelling Brexit and we can get on with our lives. :)

Will have to see how this pans out, if May does go it's going to get even crazier, if only this was a fictional drama.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I been enjoying the last week of uk and American leaders getting what they deserve. it is like it is on a schedule somewhere

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
o-CORBYN-TWEETS-570.jpg

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
She will win a vote of no confidence, this whole thing is just game playing. They could barely scramble together 48 letters.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out Brexit was one of the dumbest ideas this decade. Who would've thought...

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
At least the UK and US have each other to laugh at in these ridiculous times.