• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
After watching QT last night and that exchange between May and Juncker I've come to the conclusion that we should just leave.

Our politicians are split, even two Tory MP's couldn't agree on what preparations have been made for a no deal Brexit, our Country is so divided that if a 2nd referendum was held, I can see Farage et al boycotting it en mass just so they can veto it.

We didn't deserve to be in the E.U. I think the Country and our politicians need to knocked down a peg or 2 then discuss rejoining 10 or so years down the line if Brexit goes badly. I know ERA is pro-EU and hopes a second referendum is coming but in all honesty I think we are closer to crashing out then another referendum right now.

If these clowns had anything like a plan i would agree with you, but no they don't so fuck that.
We have to live here and deal with the fallout with just as much chance that the pain will make people more angry and stubborn.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
My favourite narrative I keep seeing from those desperate to leave is the EUs unwillingness to bend over backwards and give us a sweet deal proves what a rotten institution it is and we're obviously better off out of it.

These cretins talking about civility and bullying after they've spent decades taking about the EU like it's some sort of evil empire really grinds my gears.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
After watching QT last night and that exchange between May and Juncker I've come to the conclusion that we should just leave.

Our politicians are split, even two Tory MP's couldn't agree on what preparations have been made for a no deal Brexit, our Country is so divided that if a 2nd referendum was held, I can see Farage et al boycotting it en mass just so they can veto it.

We didn't deserve to be in the E.U. I think the Country and our politicians need to knocked down a peg or 2 then discuss rejoining 10 or so years down the line if Brexit goes badly. I know ERA is pro-EU and hopes a second referendum is coming but in all honesty I think we are closer to crashing out then another referendum right now.

While it would be satisfying to see the idiots in power who drove us to this point given a proper drubbing, I don't see leaving working out in that way. Those with the levers of power and driving the media narrative will present every shitty thing that happens because of Brexit as the fault of the EU, or the fault of "Remoaners", or the fault of Tories who didn't leap wholeheartedly into No Deal, or...

Frankly, I feel like we're closer to an outcome that leaves Britain crashing out, then spending the next several generations blaming everyone else for the problems we'll have, becoming a more bitter, less influential nation with every successive year.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I get that our national conscience needs a massive dose of humble pie, but I do not accept for a second that future generations of Britons should be fucked over just so that old Little Englanders get what's coming to them.

I was born a European citizen, I would very much like to still be a fucking European Citizen.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
I get that our national conscience needs a massive dose of humble pie, but I do not accept for a second that future generations of Britons should be fucked over just so that old Little Englanders get what's coming to them.

If these clowns had anything like a plan i would agree with you, but no they don't so fuck that.
We have to live here and deal with the fallout with just as much chance that the pain will make people more angry and stubborn.

While it would be satisfying to see the idiots in power who drove us to this point given a proper drubbing, I don't see leaving working out in that way. Those with the levers of power and driving the media narrative will present every shitty thing that happens because of Brexit as the fault of the EU, or the fault of "Remoaners", or the fault of Tories who didn't leap wholeheartedly into No Deal, or...

Frankly, I feel like we're closer to an outcome that leaves Britain crashing out, then spending the next several generations blaming everyone else for the problems we'll have, becoming a more bitter, less influential nation with every successive year.

I agree with you all. But I have this horrible feeling that it is going to get a lot worse for us and any resolution cannot be agreed, May is going to stall as long as she can. I don't think Corbyn is confident enough yet to call for a VoC because he has one shot at it and as we saw with the leader ship challenge the Tories will fall in line, ofc this might change in January but then we are only 2 months away from the expiry of Article 50. I'm positive there will be last minute talks but over what? Deal or no-deal not to mention all the hoops of getting a 2nd referendum on table and passing Parliament plus asking the EU27 for an extension of Art.50. Parliament has yet to even table it and the Grieve amendment failed (iirc).

The pro-Brexit media is going to turn savage next year, only stroking those fires further. Farage has already stated he will boycott a 2nd referendum and his cronies will follow. I personally think there should be a 2nd referendum but after this weeks events and seeing polls still very close is not filling me with confidence.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Asking as a fellow (for now) EU members the Brexit Ultars you refer to are all those who voted to leave? So the majority of the UK? Or just some of them?
No. The 20 or so percent of UKIP supporting hardcore brexiteers.

They've made it look like they represent the entire of the Brexit voting bloc but they're the No Deal fanatics.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
A 2 question referendum with remain or Mays deal on the ballot may be the only thing that can get through parliament.

I agree. I'm pleased that you left out No Deal as it shouldn't even be a voting option. Why? Because it seems obvious that most of the Leave voters still don't seem to have a fucking clue what No Deal really means. Hint: it doesn't mean that things stay the same but we're just out of the EU. Also the many negatives of No Deal are not Project Fear on steroids.

Oct 27, 2017
London
The polling on No Deal being frighteningly high is a reason to not include it in any such question.

May needs to offer another vote for the public to either ratify her deal or just stop this nonsense and remain now that all the facts are on the table.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
The idea that No Deal is catastrophic for the EU so they should be begging to give us a good deal is hilarious. They don't want it but they'll do it, asking them if they'd dare run that risk is stupid, it is us that would be ruined.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
No deal is only a thing for disaster capitalists and morons. If you back "no deal" you no longer have a say in the whole thing because you're deluded.

No one wants a bad deal and, as it stands, May's Deal (the only one on offer) is a bad deal. Remain is the only viable solution.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like public sentiment has shifted decisively towards remain.

Why didn't they come up with a plan before the referendum? It seems silly that the vote was "the status quo or a hypothetical." They should pick a plan, whether it's May's deal or no-deal and have a vote of "Remain or [insert specific terms of Brexit here]"

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
The idea that No Deal is catastrophic for the EU so they should be begging to give us a good deal is hilarious. They don't want it but they'll do it, asking them if they'd dare run that risk is stupid, it is us that would be ruined.
Yea it's super silly.

"You don't want blood on your carpet when I blow my brains out! So stop me!"

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Why didn't they come up with a plan before the referendum?
They've had DECADES to come up with a plan and had nothing. Even when the likes of Davis or Raab were put in the hot seat, so to speak, nothing came of it because Brexit is a lazy ideology that doesn't work and would never have worked. The only people intelligent enough to make it work are all remainers. That's not a "all leave voters are idiots" statement by the way, it's the people who brought this about - the Farages, the Johnsons, the Goves - they're all too stupid to actually form ideas. Brexit is a great back bench moan that never should have went further than that. Cameron tried to resolved a rift in the Tories by having a referendum on it (all because of tax evasion laws) and all it did was take that rift right down the population, aided by the Tory backing papers.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
I'm watching all this unfold as an expat living in NZ for the last 20 years...

The country remains split and heading towards (I think) some serious civil unrest ....all I am seeing tbh is a hapless flip flop leader and a bunch of self serving politicians floundering to get a feel for the mood of a country still split down the middle (and I truly think it is) that itself is having the same "I am right and you are wrong" arguments while throwing around insults and holding their hands over their ears going "la la la ..I can't hear you"....

It sucks ......I have no solutions other than suggesting some strong leadership, compromise and real listening from both sides is needed. This is not about winners and losers it's about the future of the country... :(

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm watching all this unfold as an expat living in NZ for the last 20 years...

The country remains split and heading towards (I think) some serious civil unrest ....all I am seeing tbh is a hapless flip flop leader and a bunch of self serving politicians floundering to get a feel for the mood of a country still split down the middle (and I truly think it is) that itself is having the same "I am right and you are wrong" arguments while throwing around insults and holding their hands over their ears going "la la la ..I can't hear you"....

It sucks ......I have no solutions other than suggesting some strong leadership, compromise and real listening from both sides is needed. This is not about winners and losers it's about the future of the country... :(

The compromise would be an EEA type deal while the Brexit bunch show they actually have a plan that won't ruin the country, the only thing they seem to want is a hard Brexit on their terms drawn up on the back of a fag packet. That's the trouble with asking questions when nobody put any thought into the possible answers.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
The compromise would be an EEA type deal while the Brexit bunch show they actually have a plan that won't ruin the country, the only thing they seem to want is a hard Brexit on their terms drawn up on the back of a fag packet. That's the trouble with asking questions when nobody put any thought into the possible answers.

I agree - it's the nature of that EEA type deal that's at the heart of this.... and as TM's proposed deal has shown it's not ticking the right boxes for either side....who like you say really at the end of the day want one of two worlds - stay in / leave completely .....

Some would argue we had that vote in 2016 and little (to nothing) has been done to negotiate or plan from that position - and I say this despite the weasel type actions of some of the key leave players who imo have never been fully given the keys and told go on then "show us your brave new world".... ( any fag packet planning would have been well and truly shown up here then ...and I think may have led to a serious mood change)

...and some would argue people didn't know what they voted for and this whole process has changed the mood of the country and a 2nd people's vote will reflect this shift and we will stay in (status quo) .... we are heading this way and it's kind of where the majority of Parliament sits , but as I said would imo lead to civil unrest....

so yep ...it sucks.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
lol....this is great, but if I was Leaver (and I really am unsure now how I might have voted) I would be looking at this going "Ummm, yes it was ...Bye"

So funny , but also fueling all those people who want to leave to just dig their heels in..

As an european I feel like the Luxemburg dude...hard brexiters think they can be extremist because the EU guys won't be, they will budge for the good of all. But people here think "You want no deal? Ok, no deal. Bye"

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
Every time I hear "But the EU needs us as much as we need rhem" I pray for a no-deal Brexit. Really hard

yep...and meme's like this will make devoted leavers even more devoted leavers and the split will continue....

But yeah I can understand the frustrations of the other EU members, it shouldn't be us and them but it is becoming that way - which makes me sad....

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
yep...and meme's like this will make devoted leavers even more devoted leavers and the split will continue....

But yeah I can understand the frustrations of the other EU members, it shouldn't be us and them but it is becoming that way - which makes me sad....

I don't wanna sound too harsh but there's really no love lost between us and the british, specially after the vote.

There's the misconception that EU people don't want the UK to leave; that's the case for politicians and people like me that have british friends. But not for the majority of europeans

I used to work for an english company and spend some time living in Crawley and Worthing. I have nothing but positive experiences from my time there. But then I see the brexiters talk and my lizard brain is like "Gtfo, close the door behind you, don't worry, we have your number, we'll call you if we need you".

Which we don't.

I'm really sorry for my colleagues but if we want the EU to survive we need to make an example of the UK. Plus some of them voted to leave

I mean, what did you guys expect?

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
I don't wanna sound too harsh but there's really no love lost between us and the british, specially after the vote.

There's the misconception that EU people don't want the UK to leave; that's the case for politicians and people like me that have british friends. But not for the majority of europeans

I used to work for an english company and spend some time living in Crawley and Worthing. I have nothing but positive experiences from my time there. But then I see the brexiters talk and my lizard brain is like "Gtfo, close the door behind you, don't worry, we have your number, we'll call you if we need you".

Which we don't.

I'm really sorry for my colleagues but if we want the EU to survive we need to make an example of the UK. Plus some of them voted to leave

I mean, what did you guys expect?

Not harsh and I hear you....problem is we're a pretty resilient and stubborn country, so being made an example of (or thinking that we are) will likely only make polarising opinions ...well...more polar........

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
British politics so hard to follow

It's easy. You just have to look at an economic trade deal and instead of seeing a unilateral agreement between parties to sustain a workable import/export trade across borders, you see a battleground, a war between the proud, patriotic and dutiful British against the freedom-hating, bureaucratic rabble of Brussels.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Not harsh and I hear you....problem is we're a pretty resilient and stubborn country, so being made an example of (or thinking that we are) will likely only make polarising opinions ...well...more polar........

It doesn't really matter after you leave though...not our problem how polarized you are.

But I'm not convinced that you will leave. I really don't see a no-deal Brexit. There's the only majority the house can reach I think, a majority of MP's againts it