• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what wasn't she meant to go to EU like tomorrow to do more deal mongering.

When will this end. Just hope we end up remaining LOL

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who wants to take Theresa May's job is just going to run into the same problems she has with brexit

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Why on earth has the palace been contacted? Isn't the only main role of the Queen to just authorise the
pm once they are selected?

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why on earth has the palace been contacted? Isn't the only main role of the Queen to just authorise the
pm once they are selected?
Probably standard procedure if the PM has had a no confidence vote lodged against them, the head of state would definitely need to be informed. Alternatively, the PM plans to resign.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Probably standard procedure if the PM has had a no confidence vote lodged against them, the head of state would definitely need to be informed. Alternatively, the PM plans to resign.

She has a duty to contact the palace for various things like foreign policy deals etc or if requested to.
There's a lot more contact than you would think.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh God... this is it, isn't it? This is where we get Boris Johnson as PM.

We are so completely beyond fucked it's untrue.

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Irritating a 92 year old lady would probably be apt for this government though.

Breaking: Theresa is nipping around to Lizzie's with a fella from Eon to cap her gas off over winter.

Guys, I can only understand UK politics via meme, so tell me: are things looking pretty good?

tenor.gif

Stella- I mean, stellar!

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The question would be which way the Tories would tip. I feel like any leader who tried to straddle the line between the Leavers and Remainers is going to fail. It will either be someone who wants a Norway deal or someone who wants to put up concrete across Ireland.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
What a shit show.

Looking to get some good whiskey for when this is all done. That way I can pour one out in a good or most likely bad scenario.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Why doesn't U.S. Congress have a No-Confidence procedure like this for the President?

The US has separate and co-equal branches of government, and its structure more closely resembles the British government at the time of the Revolution than the modern Westminster system of today, when the Executive's (monarch's) power is diminished and largely consultative/ceremonial.

In the House of Representatives, the Speaker would be the equivalent of the PM in the UK Parliament. I don't think a formal no confidence procedure exists, but the Speaker's elected with every new Congress that's seated, so if there's an internal party revolt, the longest they would serve would be two years. Even then, the Speaker and the House don't wield the same power and authority that the PM and Parliament does, so there really wouldn't be a need for such a mechanism.

Fun Fact: The Speaker is also second in line of succession to the Presidency, so if the Pres and VP are knocked out at once, the Speaker becomes President.

The only equivalent to a no confidence vote that Congress provides to the Executive is the process of impeachment by the House and conviction by the Senate, though no President has ever been successfully convicted.

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
As an American, it has at least been entertaining to watch both our countries descend into political chaos over the last week.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Official. The worst government and PM in living memory. Possibly ever.

The deal is a shambles, the government is in chaos and the nation hasn't been this divided since the Civil War in the 17th century.

Fuck Brexit. Somebody please just make it stop.

At this point the Queen might as well step in, dissolve Parliament and retake control. Pretty sure she'd do a better job than any of the morons we've elected to Parliament.

Give democracy a break for 5 years to regain some fucking sense and let Meghan, Kate and the Queen rule in the meantime. I'd be game

Fuck it. I'd be down with this. The Queen couldn't do a worse job than this poor excuse of a government.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The US has separate and co-equal branches of government, and its structure more closely resembles the British government at the time of the Revolution than the modern Westminster system of today, when the Executive's (monarch's) power is diminished and largely consultative/ceremonial.

In the House of Representatives, the Speaker would be the equivalent of the PM in the UK Parliament. I don't think a formal no confidence procedure exists, but the Speaker's elected with every new Congress that's seated, so if there's an internal party revolt, the longest they would serve would be two years. Even then, the Speaker and the House don't wield the same power and authority that the PM and Parliament does, so there really wouldn't be a need for such a mechanism.

Fun Fact: The Speaker is also second in line of succession to the Presidency, so if the Pres and VP are knocked out at once, the Speaker becomes President.

The only equivalent to a no confidence vote that Congress provides to the Executive is the process of impeachment by the House and conviction by the Senate, though no President has ever been successfully convicted.
Can't they pass a non binding resolution if they wanted to say something?

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
We'll at least see who's got the better sources based on what happens tomorrow. Or, if these leaks are designed to either force 48 letters or prevent 48 letters based on the source and "target audience", we'll see who has the better sense of shadow play.

I did see another tweet that Brady was polling cabinet on their opinion? That makes me wonder if someone is telegraphing that they're close to 48 and now it's time to prepare for what happens next, without explicitly saying so.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll believe it when I see it. Tories are cowardly as fuck. I loved Marina Hyde's article today, where Boris had been described as Aslan but she said he's the most Edmund fucker there was. Tomorrow should be fun.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Would amuse the hell out of me if Brady has been shredding the letters as they came in out of support for May.

"You're nearly there guys, just a few more letters!"

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Can't they pass a non binding resolution if they wanted to say something?

I suppose they could, but it'd have the same weight as proclaiming National Cheesecake Day. If it doesn't have the force of law, then it would be an empty gesture.

The way it's supposed to work is that they're supposed to show their displeasure with the President by refusing to confirm cabinet and judicial nominees, refusing to pass a submitted budget, and most importantly, not funding things. The problem is that party politics complicates things, even more-so today when they seem to have forgotten that they're an actual, separate branch of government and prefer Party Rule, like they're Soviets or something.