• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Hey Friends, I hope my BBQ folks made it over.

For anyone that maybe wasn't involved in the old thread we love smoking meat and sometimes grilling outside. BBQ is defined as cooking meats over a low fire. This is obviously a loose definition.

Feel free to share your setups, recipes, cooking methods etc. Pictures are *almost* mandatory. :)

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't a part of that thread but I will join you in this one. Gonna be smoking about 30lbs of pork shoulder in a week. Will post pics recipes etc...

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had to search the depths of ERA to find this thread and I'm disappointed to see there's no mouth watering pics!

I have the previous thread to thank for teaching me the ins and outs of smoking and look forward to adding my endeavours here over time. I've still yet to go beyond burgers/sausages but will be doing some pork shoulder or brisket next year. I might also do a light cook this month just to keep it from rusting out over the winter.

Unlike most who will be in this thread I'm actually a brit but had always wanted to try the US style BBQ, so bear with me if I sometimes miss some basics or use different terminology. We have a very different approach to bbq here typically, such as grill over hot coals until black, so I'm still learning a lot.

Last edited:

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Some of my pics from the old site:

HPSH5Xm.jpg

nisAIDH.jpg

LFEwvs8.jpg

xEgiwhp.jpg

WH5NGHT.jpg

FeLCD0r.jpg

gdwwKsQ.jpg

JXAEFoo.jpg

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
Finally, I was hoping this thread would pop up soon. I would have made it once I got out of junior status if you had not.

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017
What is on the menu for thanksgiving? I'm going to smoke some meatloaf, but it's going to have pork sausage on the inside and a bacon wrap onnthe outside.

OP
OP
captive

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
For me it is Brisket. So much better than Turkey.
yea I might try for a brisket too.

Though a brined and smoked turkey is quite delicious. I told my wife I hate thanksgiving from the actual meaning of the holiday to the actual food served, yams? puke, cranberry? puke. the only things I like that are traditional are the turkey and the stuffing. So she said ok then lets do non traditional.

and yes, your pictures are huge. I'm on a 4k screen and they literally take up the entire browser.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
not yet, there will be soon! we gotta get the people back in here.

was just coming to post this. Crowd cow is doing a promotion on Japenese wagyu beef. https://www.crowdcow.com/wagyu?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=RET_Registered+Top10%_NoPurchaseA18+EAST-WagyuNov20_LEARNMORECrowd_cow_fb_110817_02.jpgSI100%WagyuHoliday&fb_id=983707

Also gonna post some pics of my setup soon, we just finished our outdoor kitchen the other day.
Hope I can get in on this and that it doesn't all sell out during the early access!

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
I built this for my Kettle, I was going to post it at the old DIY thread but then that happened, may as well share it here since this thread includes grilling too. Cost me around 45 bucks for all the wood and was done in half a day.

4M7Ffbw.jpg

For normal grilling the wood is fine, but I need to find a way to protect it when I use it as a pizza oven since temps get up to 1000F.

OP
OP
captive

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
remember people, turkey/chicken is not a low and slow cook. You want that skin tight and golden, not saggy and black/brown. 295 is my sweet spot.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Finally invested in a decent home grill, love it, use it all year around.

smoking%20classic.jpg

Same one I have and has served me well for 9 years. The only complaint I have is how thin the metal is which can cause you to leak heat and have to burn a ton of wood for long smokes. To get around this, I bought a welders blanket (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0057RJD0E/?tag=era0f0-20) which I drape over the top while I am smoking. This has cut the amount of fuel I need to use in half and lets me go about 80% longer between having to adjust the temperature. Money very well spent.

Nov 23, 2017
So I just bought a new drum smoker and I pick it up tomorrow. Just in time for my turkey day on Saturday.

I know real wood burns hotter than kingsford charcoal. I still have a good amount of a wood charcoal, but didn't know if I should use regular wood chunks too. What's your suggestion or wood flavor for a turkey and a ham?

Anything I should do to prep the smoker before my first cook? I was thinking of coating some cast irons and letting them bake for a bit.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
So I just bought a new drum smoker and I pick it up tomorrow. Just in time for my turkey day on Saturday.

I know real wood burns hotter than kingsford charcoal. I still have a good amount of a wood charcoal, but didn't know if I should use regular wood chunks too. What's your suggestion or wood flavor for a turkey and a ham?

Anything I should do to prep the smoker before my first cook? I was thinking of coating some cast irons and letting them bake for a bit.

You need to season the smoker by running a fire in it for a few hours to cook off all the shit from the factory. Do not put food in it the first time you use it.

Buy a bag of apple or cherry wood chunks (not chips) to mix in with your charcoal and you should be good to go.

Nov 23, 2017
It's not a factory made. It's custom made from a 55-gal drum.

http://blazingbbqsmokers.com

I got a double rack and a flat lid. He said it's possible to use a weber lid, but I'd lose some smoke through it as the drum is about a 1/2" smaller than a kettle.

How long should I smoke the ham for?

OP
OP
captive

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
We finished our outdoor kitchen. Broilmaster Infrared grill and upgraded to a BGE XL

XL with adjustable rack from ceramicgrillstore.com

Our turkey, smoked for about two hours with apple wood.

First time using the cyberq. Loved how easy it got the egg up to temp. Didn't love how even though the pit probe was attached to a grill it would think it dropped like 100 degrees in seconds after opening.
Also didn't love the food probe thought the bird was 60 degrees after being in for over an hour while my old school thermometer said 150 degrees.
Dunno if mine is defective but that's definitely not cool.

Last edited:

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
It's not a factory made. It's custom made from a 55-gal drum.

http://blazingbbqsmokers.com

I got a double rack and a flat lid. He said it's possible to use a weber lid, but I'd lose some smoke through it as the drum is about a 1/2" smaller than a kettle.

How long should I smoke the ham for?

You still want to season it. No idea on the ham, never smoked one before.

Here is my Thanksgiving Brisket: 13lb prime from Costco, smoked over hickory @ 250 for 14.5 hours. No wrap during smoke, rested for 4 hours before slicing.7

XG8GLGg.jpg

BNNoFsV.jpg

M9TnEXL.jpg

dXWEEzI.jpg

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Just hit up amazing ribs and Aaron Franklin's book then do a bunch of trial and error to find what works for you.
Yeah, Amazing Ribs is a great site. I've only done brisket once and it turned out decidedly dry... but that's alright. I do need to give it another go, this time with less pressure.

Slackerish

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
You still want to season it. No idea on the ham, never smoked one before.

Here is my Thanksgiving Brisket: 13lb prime from Costco, smoked over hickory @ 250 for 14.5 hours. No wrap during smoke, rested for 4 hours before slicing.7

XG8GLGg.jpg

BNNoFsV.jpg

M9TnEXL.jpg

dXWEEzI.jpg

Looks great! Ended up doing a 10lb Costco brisket in my pellet smoker using Oak. 11 1/2 hours over night, no wrap, and rested 6 hours. Forgot to grab pictures. Had wanted to do it in the offset but with the outside temp was 25 with feels like of 20, that's no fun.

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
My first one was inedible. Stick with it.

In Aaron Franklin's BBQ book he talks about how his first year or two's worth of cooking briskets were awful. Now his BBQ is considered one of the best in the states. It's a good book, goes more into detail about how he got started and the basics of BBQ, not so much a recipe book.

Nov 23, 2017
OMG!!! That was the best bird I ever had. I've been nibbling on it as I put it away, and it still tastes moist and juicy cold. I started it around 10:30am, and left it covered with just a bit of the sides pulled up to let in the smoke. At around 2pm I pulled it out, basted it and took the foil off. I left it in for another hour or so to let the skin cook a little further. I also added the ham on the bottom rack to let that cook for a bit.

I went through three chimneys of charcoal. I started off with a 1/2 chimney of kingsford and the remainder with lump charcoal. I added several apple wood chunks on top on each load of charcoal.

The weather was perfect and great. I had my firepit going and a friend brought over a propane outdoor heater. So the backyard stayed pretty warm. The day was very stressfull, but the evening turned out pretty darn good. Now I just to finish packing away the left overs.

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
Htown ERA Kroger has brisket on sale for $1.99/lb and the 14lber I got today looked really good for being Select grade beef. I'll be cooking this for Christmas day dinner.

OP
OP
captive

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Htown ERA Kroger has brisket on sale for $1.99/lb and the 14lber I got today looked really good for being Select grade beef. I'll be cooking this for Christmas day dinner.
nice. I might be able to talk my wife into that.
I did two briskets for my wifes holiday party last saturday. I would never have been able to do both of these at the same time on the large egg. I could have used another rack and added more stuff too if i wanted.
put on at about 3pm on friday.
IK6zHiDh.jpg

took off at 11pm friday
UcjJsnwh.jpg

put in foil with beef broth in the oven at 250 for 2 hours and just let the oven turn off.
they came out super tender. One was too salty so i sprayed some beer on it and cooked a little more in the oven.
Everyone loved them. Sorry i didnt take any pics, i didnt want to be that guy taking pics in front of 50 people.

we've also been doing pork roasts. Brine it for about 4 hours, put on the egg at 325 this one is herb crusted with a honey mustard sauce on the side.
QAo2IXrh.jpg

did one tonight with bbq rub and then chipotle raspberry sauce. Sorry no pics of that one.

Nov 23, 2017
I've opened a new can of worms...

Several years ago I became the elected one for making sweet potatoes at the holidays. Now I've become the official ham smoker too. We're having tamales and smoked ham for Christmas Eve dinner and everyone is in love with it.