• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Reading that other thread got me thinking....has anybody ever done it before? Either by accident or on purpose? It's a stupid thing and I believe anybody who does it is an asshole...but I can be an asshole sometimes, as much as I hate to admit it.

The only time I've driven drunk was when I drank a Manhattan and stupidly decided to leave the bar before it fully wore off. I wasn't drunk enough to start swerving, and I was at least able to drive with SOME cognition, but I didn't take it all that seriously when I was driving home. Only a few hours later did I start to realize how stupid I was that night.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I drank/smoked weed and drove back home, but my house was only 10 minutes away and I was mostly on the highway. I probably should of just stayed at my friend's, but I truly didn't felt drunk or high

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Not proud of it , but I did once in 2009, thankfully I was 5 minutes away from home, but it was bad, I was super drunk (being a dumb teenager), but I drove super slow and thank God there was not much traffic on that road that day.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I've never has an ounce of alcohol and drank. Seen a lot of people eat the extra insurance cost and NJP in the Navy for it.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Everyone has had a drink at dinner and then driven home. Congrats, you were technically drunk.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I drove really tipsy before and was disgusted with myself after. I was younger and it was before I lived in a major city. Now with ride-sharing and public transit there is literally no excuse.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
I haven't, but I know dozens of people who have and have been in the car with drunk drivers. It's an unpleasant experience to say the least. I've driven stoned several times however, always at night, and I was hyper-aware of my driving. Absolutely fucking hated it every time. My friends love to drive high though, I'll admit, I don't get it but it hasn't impaired their driving from where I was sitting so, c'est la vie.

Driving stoned isn't really so much of a big deal when you consider how prescription medications tell you not to drive if you take them. I took anxiety meds that told me not to drive but uh, I had to get to work somehow so that wasn't an option. Didn't make a single difference in my driving ability but when you consider how many Americans are on pain meds and still need to get around? That's a scary thought. I'd wager 1-in-every-5 cars has someone impaired behind the wheel.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I don't drive.
I did however ride a bicycle while drunk and fell on the same leg I had injured a few days prior while skating.

Oct 26, 2017
Where I grew up, it was very common. Before Uber, no real taxis around, terrible public transportation. Even in a country where the laws are very strict, anything over 0.0 is an arrest, I still see it, but nowhere near as often. I fully support crazy strong laws against it. To answer the question, yes. A long time ago

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I did once when I was much younger, and it was one the last times I ever drank alcohol. I was at a house party drowning my depression in liquor, and something bad happened where cops got involved and told everyone to leave. I tried to catch a ride with someone, tried to call a cab (this was pre-Uber), and no luck. I drove twenty minutes back home while still buzzed, but thankfully it was in a pretty remote area at 2 am. Never did it again after that.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
No I don't think so.

Obviously like nearly anyone I've had some drinks and later driven but never drunk or even remotely tipsy or in any way affected by it.

The feeling of alcohol hits me and then goes away ridiculously quickly. After that point if I chase it with more alcohol I'm either getting sick or I'm spending the rest of the night peeing every 4 seconds and I'm definitely not fucking driving like that.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
No.

Only reason I know for certain I haven't though is I had to pull up that weight-to-drink ratio chart on my phone a couple nights to be sure.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone has had a drink at dinner and then driven home. Congrats, you were technically drunk.

I'm not sure much was in that Manhattan. I limit myself to one drink almost always. Maybe I wasn't as drunk as I thought. But I tend to magnify everything I do wrong, so I'm probably not the most objective person when viewing myself.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This basically. They say "one hour for every drink" is the rule for it to wear off but I've definitely had 2-3 beers over the course of 90 minutes during dinner and driven home just fine.

That's not at all how it works

I don't get this response. Are we only taking OP's question as "completely plastered"? Because it's easy as fuck to blow a .08 and not even feel like you're drunk. The laws are strict for a reason.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I like to think not.

My friends and I went to another friend's cottage, and drove to a lake where there was a floating dock. We took beers out there and had some, waited a while and then they had me drive to the beer store. I drove fine, and don't know if I was over the limit. I like to think not and assume not. I'm ashamed of it though, regardless. They had drank more than me, but I worry I didn't give it enough time.

I've never driven after more than 2 beers within a couple of hours since.

My one friend used to gloat about how he drove home drunk and drove past cops who didn't notice. Another friend used to drive with a beer when we were teens and we were going to pick people up. His brother drove us around while drinking near Ottawa. I've had people I know well also say that they used to after partying, and just took backroads. But I'm not that type of person.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Closest I've ever got would be when my vision was extremely blurry and I straight up couldn't see on the edges of my peripheral vision, and I drove to the grocery store anyways.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that everyone's definition of "drunk" varies wildly, the question is open to a variety of interpretations.

Like, there's people who don't think they are drunk unless they are falling down or slurring constantly.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I drank regularly I would drive after a couple beers out at dinner.

Only drove totally drunk as a skunk once in my early 20s. Me and my friends were in the country and luckily there were no other cars around.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
With alcohol in my system? Yes lots of times, though now I don't even do that anymore because why risk it.

Legit drunk? Only once, and it was because it was literally only a block to my friend's house. I've always been self-aware enough to know when I am past my limit of being comfortable enough to drive home and never was the guy to fight for his keys, but this was the only time I broke that rule and even then wasn't proud of it.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
One time, and despite it being 3 am down a rural road and meeting no cars I was so horrified the next day and have never put myself in position to do it again.

ArtTeitlebaum

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
It's more than twenty years ago, so I guess it's safe to confess. Yep, I drove while being over the limit several times in my youth.
The last time this happened, I was REALLY drunk. I can remember every single minute of this, so it wasn't a blackout, but after that I was so thankful that I didn't kill my passengers or any other innocent person that I swore that I would never again touch my car with a single drink in me. And I never did it again.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
This basically. They say "one hour for every drink" is the rule for it to wear off but I've definitely had 2-3 beers over the course of 90 minutes during dinner and driven home just fine.

I don't get this response. Are we only taking OP's question as "completely plastered"? Because it's easy as fuck to blow a .08 and not even feel like you're drunk. The laws are strict for a reason.

Does alcohol really last for strictly one hour though? Even on that night I drove "drunk", I left after an hour.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Hell no. Even at my most wasted I would always get a taxi instead.

Not about to risk my life and others, and jail time, and ruining lives. Even my drunkest self is deeply afraid of and aware of this.

I also hate driving and naturally veer away from it if I can help it. I also don't drink at all when I myself have driven somewhere.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly once, and it was literally from one parking lot to another on my college campus. Was behind the wheel for about 15 seconds total and I still feel guilty when I remember doing it.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
This is what bugs me about the prohibitionists. Theres no nuance.

I mean, shit, it was only made illegal to drink some beers while driving a while ago. No fact checking, but I'm sure it's still allowed in certain states.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
I've never been drunk period, so no.

Only times I've been "under the influence" otherwise to the point where driving would've been a danger, suffice to say I never drove during. In no small part because I wouldn't have made it to the car.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does alcohol really last for strictly one hour though? Even on that night I drove "drunk", I left after an hour.

That's just like the supposed rule of thumb. A safe way to gauge if you might be sobered up. So drink 3 beers between 8-9pm, by 11 PM or so you should feasibly be sober enough to drive and would pass a sobriety test if given one.

But it all doesn't factor in age, weight, height, metabolism, tolerance, etc. I'm 6'1 and 220 lbs and have drank for a long time, I can drink probably 7-8 "light" beers and not even really feel that drunk but I know I'd probably blow over if I got caught driving.