• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Frunobulax

Apr 10, 2019
Yes, many times. It wasn't even seen as a bad thing until I was in my 20's. There was absolutely no stigma against it whatsoever in my community (Rural Alberta).
People here used to drive on the train tracks so they could find their farms easier when hammered to fuck. It was basically a rite of passage to have flipped a truck once or twice. I've tipped beers at cops who have tipped beers at me, and I've both initiated and reciprocated such exchanges.
I often used to drive on the highway drunk as fuck, using only my knee while drinking and smoking hash from a bong, that was my ritual on the way to the bar that I would also drive home from.
I stopped fucking around in vehicles completely after being in a few accidents (I wasn't driving).
In the prairies any direction you go in can be a potential runaway lane, but a telephone pole is a telephone pole.
I stopped screwing around behind the wheel before the M.A.D. campaign even really fired up, so the shift in culture kind of just whooshed over me, I don't know when it happened but that community I came up in is now zero tolerance for that kind of thing, from anybody.
On public roads, obviously. People still enjoy an adult beverage or two out on the combines on their own property of course, because that's just kind of like a chocolate/peanut butter situation that has to happen now and then.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
one funny story I do have in relation to this topic is one time we were on a road trip somewhere and dad was driving and he all the sudden cracked open a Sprite and started drinking it. I had seen the Mothers Against Drunk Driving PSAs and had sat through anti drunk driving demonstrations at school, so I objected to my dad, "you're not supposed to drink and drive". He gave me a very "huh" look.

Just a cute and funny anecdote looking back to a time when I didn't know the difference.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

5 beers in an hour? Apparently I'd be good to hit the road. Good to know if I'm ever doing a Power Hour again at my age...

7-8 in 3 or 4 hours is actually a pretty standard weekend night at a friends and I'll still drive home. I'm talking Yeungling/PBR/Miller, definitely 12oz lighter beers in the 4-5% range. I can tell how much harder a strong beer hits me, some IPAs in the 6-7% range slow me right down and I couldn't drink that many if I tried.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I've had a couple beers and driven. If I drink more than 2 I don't drive. And my wife is pretty much with me all the time when I drink, and she keeps it low. She's always good to cover for me if I have extra.

Oct 28, 2017
Even in my Navy days where I could drink like a fish.

Nope. I have had to intervene when drunk dudes in my circle wanted to drive.

Nah Ski, not on my watch.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
The thread remind of the thread where someone said it was impossible to be blackout while being drunk. I wonder how many people here actually drink or are of age to do so.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not drunk but on two occasions i was likely over the limit and had only felt it after driving for 10-15 minutes. It really bothers me so I'm a lot more conscious of %s in beers i order now.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. When I was younger I made a lot of terrible decisions. I paid a price for that decision though.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I don't *think* I have. I rarely drink and try to keep it to a minimum or not at all if I know I'm gonna have to drive

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Violent rhetoric.
No. My brother died because some scumbag piece of shit lowlife decided to get behind the wheel when drunk.

I won't mince words. If you have ever done the same, then you are just the same as that guy and you deserve to die alone. and if you are reading this and you have driven while drunk then I want you to know that if you were in front of me I'd likely strangle the life out of you or at the very least I'd beat you within an inch of your life.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
After having a single drink, so that I am realistically under the Drink Driving limit? Yes, not often.
Drunk? Actually drunk? Fuck no. I could die dude. I choose life. Also could get someone else killed. I choose life for them, too.

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
If I were ever somewhere drunk and wanted to go somewhere else I'd either call an uber or say fuck it and just sleep in my car till I was sober. So against driving drunk.

That being said I did end up having to drive after drinking too much a couple months back. Was at the bar with some friends and our designated driver must have ended up drinking without us seeing. She's driving us home and I look up and shes on the wrong side of the road driving full speed downtown. Basically screamed at her to pull over. Thinking back on it I should have just taken her keys and called someone sober, but I ended up taking her keys and driving us all back to the house. If I was wasted I wouldn't have, but I def was over the limit I think.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I've done it once by accident. Was on the way home from my honeymoon. Had 4 pints in the airport bar, 3 hour flight straight in the car. Half way up the motorway I had the sudden realisation that I was way over the limit.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. My brother died because some scumbag piece of shit lowlife decided to get behind the wheel when drunk.

I won't mince words. If you have ever done the same, then you are just the same as that guy and you deserve to die alone. and if you are reading this and you have driven while drunk then I want you to know that if you were in front of me I'd likely strangle the life out of you or at the very least I'd beat you within an inch of your life.

You need help.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, I think whoever is in front of him probably does though.

But for real, a drunk driver killed that dude's brother, and I can't say I begrudge him that anger.

To answer the question, no. I've been on scene for enough accidents, frequently involving alcohol, that the appeal just isn't there for me.

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
Drunk? Never.

I don't typically drive if I'm even close to the legal limit. Driven like 3 blocks a few times when I was close to it before. Really no reason to drive out to a party/club scene anymore with Uber's existence though.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I think whoever is in front of him probably does though.

But for real, a drunk driver killed that dude's brother, and I can't say I begrudge him that anger.

He just threatened to kill anyone who may have done something tangentially related to the death of his brother. Not involved in the death of his brother, not someone who has committed involuntary vehicular manslaughter themselves, but someone who has ever gotten behind the wheel 'drunk'.

They obviously view themselves as some righteous vigilante, when in effect they're someone with severe anger issues who, ironically, may end up commiting murder or voluntary manslaughter. If, you know, they aren't some full of shit internet tough guy.

Last edited:

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He just threatened to kill anyone who may have done something tangentially related to the death of his brother. Not involved in the death of his brother, not someone who has committed involuntary vehicular manslaughter themselves, but someone who has ever gotten behind the wheel 'drunk'.

They obviously view themselves as some righteous vigilante, when in effect theiy're someone with severe anger issues who, ironically, may end up commiting murder or voluntary manslaughter. If, you know, they aren't some full of shit internet tough guy.
To be fair, people who drink and drive are super shitty people.

Maybe not 'The First Purge target' level, but I can't say I'm going to shit on someone for being angry at drunk drivers, when their brother was killed by one.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. Lucky I didn't kill myself let alone somebody else. Also lucky that it made me confront personal issues that I had repressed at the time. It was one of the most idiotic things I've ever done. Haven't been drunk since.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
n1Bu4Gi.gif

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
I did often when I was younger. The driving factor for me to stop drinking period years ago was the fact I couldn't trust myself to make the right call when I was drunk.

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut

They obviously view themselves as some righteous vigilante, when in effect they're someone with severe anger issues who, ironically, may end up commiting murder or voluntary manslaughter. If, you know, they aren't some full of shit internet tough guy.

I had a response similar to yours but deleted it because reasons. You aren't wrong. I understand this sort of thing is a subject very important to him/her, and rightfully so, but that was a bit much...

Oct 28, 2017

I've driven drunk one time in college over ten years ago. It was less than 5 blocks and I still regret doing it even though fortunately nothing bad happened. I would never even consider doing it again and I barely drink in general now.

I'm very sorry for your loss but you seriously want to beat me within an inch of my life? Go to therapy man, that shit is not healthy.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Look at you, going to bat for drunk drivers. Why the quotations around the word drunk? Let's not qualify it by degrees. Drunk is impaired, buzzed is impaired. Vigilante? I don't actively go out looking for idiots to hurt, call me whatever you want, but flagrant open and casual admission of drunk driving is something that crosses a line for me. Just look at this thread. Doesn't it sicken you the amount of people who do it?

I won't take back what I said or edit my post in order to soften it. You wouldn't understand unless you've actually seen in person the damage it causes to someone close to you.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look at you, going to bat for drunk drivers. Why the quotations around the word drunk? Let's not qualify it by degrees. Drunk is impaired, buzzed is impaired. Vigilante? I don't actively go out looking for idiots to hurt, call me whatever you want, but flagrant open and casual admission of drunk driving is something that crosses a line for me.

I won't take back what I said or edit my post in order to soften it. You wouldn't understand unless you've actually seen in person the damage it causes to someone close to you.

I don't care about you softening your statement for randoms on the internet, I have driven drunk when I was young and dumb and I don't give a fuck about your threats.

Me telling you that you need help to deal with your grief and anger issues is not for my benefit.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look at you, going to bat for drunk drivers. Why the quotations around the word drunk? Let's not qualify it by degrees. Drunk is impaired, buzzed is impaired. Vigilante? I don't actively go out looking for idiots to hurt, call me whatever you want, but flagrant open and casual admission of drunk driving is something that crosses a line for me. Just look at this thread. Doesn't it sicken you the amount of people who do it?

You sound like a person that sure has their life under control.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Never.

A friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver when I was a kid. Some else I knew killed someone coming home from a bar. The latter was only got a couple of tickets and lost his license for a bit because by the time they tested his blood he was below the legal limit and the other guy was somewhat impaired himself. That means he was probably only buzzed at the time it happened, but he remembers being unable to react quickly enough. He was wracked with guilt and horribly depressed for a long time as a result.

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
I've driven buzzed once and it was a horrible, anxiety inducing experience. Would never drive drunk and almost always call an Uber or have a friend drive me to where I'm going if I know I'm going to be drinking later.

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Also I'm 28 and It really saddens me the amount of people my age ( and typically a bit younger) who drive drunk and don't think anything of it.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care about you softening your statement for randoms on the internet, I have driven drunk when I was young and dumb and I don't give a fuck about your threats.

Me telling you that you need help to deal with your grief and anger issues is not for my benefit.

And here I am arguing with with a drunk driver with a guilty conscience who read my post and got defensive. Continue "not giving a fuck", then.

You sound like a person that sure has their life under control.

I think I do. Own a house, have a long-term partner, good job but always looking for better, and I talk about dumb stuff with randoms on the internet. If you think that by judging me based on my hatred of drunk drivers makes me unstable or irrational, well there's nothing I can do about that.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Only once. Driving back after being on a boat and drinking for several hours with Marines. Not sure how I managed to get all the way home.

Tranquility

Oct 28, 2017
One time i went to a concert, had 5 beers. Took a cab ride and a train ride for 3 hours and then drove the last 2 km to my home. I am ashamed of it and will not do it again. I felt very sober but would probably have lost my license.

Oct 26, 2017

Yup. A lot of us did bad shit even we were younger, including driving drunk, and I don't see anyone bragging about it. I think most of us realize it was terrible and regret it.

But also don't feel like it's something warranting a physical assault or murder years after the fact, or even an empty internet threat as toothless as that is. That anger is definitely something that should be dealt with with a therapist.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
It unfortunately happens a lot in Texas. It probably wouldn't be so much of a problem for the population if Uber/Lyft didn't cost $30-40 one way to get from the suburbs of Houston or Dallas to the bars downtown.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I was 17 years old drinking with some buddies and one of them begged me to go to another party with him and he was going to drive. He was literally pulling me off the couch to go with and I kept saying no I was tired and there was a girl at the party I wanted to hook up with. My dumb ass never stopped him from going.

He drove off, crashed his car into a tree and it blew up.

I will never ever drink and drive in my life after that moment.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
For what it's worth I don't blame that poster for his harshness, I feel he's right in his feelings, especially given he lost his brother to a drunk driver. Yes I have made the mistake of driving drunk, but I posted in this thread in an honest response to the question asked, not in a manner that is prideful or otherwise glorifying a mistake I made. I don't agree with everything posted on this board in regards to alcohol and drugs, but I do tend to agree with the viewpoint that driving drunk is incredibly selfish and quite the asshole-ish thing to do.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And here I am arguing with with a drunk driver with a guilty conscience who read my post and got defensive. Continue "not giving a fuck", then.

I think I do. Own a house, have a long-term partner, good job but always looking for better, and I talk about dumb stuff with randoms on the internet. If you think that by judging me based on my hatred of drunk drivers makes me unstable or irrational, well there's nothing I can do about that.

My actions have only ever harmed myself, whereas you want to actively harm people that have nothing to do with your loss. Seek help.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll have one beer at dinner if I know I'm going to be there for awhile (read with a group of people where I know I'll be chatting for an hour or so.)

Otherwise no. Driving drunk just isn't worth the risk in my opinion and it never has been a problem for me to get a ride or call a taxi/uber to get home from events where I get drunk. Driving drunk is just lazy behavior, reckless behavior and should never be considered an option.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Freshman year of college (10 years ago) I drove home buzzed, which was one of the dumbest things I'd ever done. I had already knocked out at the house party, then decided oh hey would be a good idea to start driving home at 4am. Thankfully I didn't hit or harm anything/one. I woke up later that day and was pretty angry at myself.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think I may have done it with a buzz once or twice when I was younger but never even close to tipsy or drunk, and in general now that I'm a bit more responsible I just make sure to stay away from booze if I know I'm going to be driving, or drink lightly and then hydrate for hours before I drive again(like if I'm at a friend's house all night or whatever).

Though I was in a car a couple times with a drunk driver at the wheel, also when I was young. I would never ever let that happen again. I probably wouldn't have done it then if I had my license at the time(got it in my early 20's).

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had like 2-3 beers at dinner and driven. Used to have a keychain Breathalyzer because i was curious what .08 felt like... never drove if I felt like that. Once I blew like .09 and I just sat in the car on my phone for a bit.

I can understand why some people think they have good control after a few even though they are over the limit. But there is definitely a certain point where even to someone who is wasted they should know its a bad idea. Like swerving everywhere bad. I don't understand how people can drive like that.

I've biked a short distance like that (justified by me largely only being a danger to myself, for the most part) and WOOF I could not imagine driving in that state it would freak me out