• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thugnificent

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
No never, and I hope the people in this thread who have done it no longer do. I've had a friend die in a car accident due to someone driving under the influence, and one of my middle school students got hit and killed by a drunk driver while they were skateboarding. Please don't do it, such a waste of life.

Oct 28, 2017
When I was younger, yes. I always maintained that I had sobered up enough, but in retrospect, it's questionable if that were the case. Luckily, I always made it home safely.

My heart goes out to anyone and everyone who has suffered loss at the hands of a drunk driver.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did it a few times, over 20 years ago. There's some part of me that loves high risk behavior and it manifests itself in different ways. I realized I was playing with fire and I stopped.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Yes, many times. It wasn't even seen as a bad thing until I was in my 20's. There was absolutely no stigma against it whatsoever in my community (Rural Alberta).
People here used to drive on the train tracks so they could find their farms easier when hammered to fuck. It was basically a rite of passage to have flipped a truck once or twice. I've tipped beers at cops who have tipped beers at me, and I've both initiated and reciprocated such exchanges.
I often used to drive on the highway drunk as fuck, using only my knee while drinking and smoking hash from a bong, that was my ritual on the way to the bar that I would also drive home from.
I stopped fucking around in vehicles completely after being in a few accidents (I wasn't driving).
In the prairies any direction you go in can be a potential runaway lane, but a telephone pole is a telephone pole.
I stopped screwing around behind the wheel before the M.A.D. campaign even really fired up, so the shift in culture kind of just whooshed over me, I don't know when it happened but that community I came up in is now zero tolerance for that kind of thing, from anybody.
On public roads, obviously. People still enjoy an adult beverage or two out on the combines on their own property of course, because that's just kind of like a chocolate/peanut butter situation that has to happen now and then.
hahaha, holy shit, this is nuts. I get that you're out in rural Alberta but damn, the balls on display from country drivers.

My uncles used to do this kind of shit. but maybe a little more intense. They'd get high as shit, have a 30 pack in the back and just pound beers while driving. This was in the 1980s before I was alive. My dad told me a story about my uncle getting into a race with a dude and accelerating so quickly that he almost flipped the car over. He fucking tilted his car on the side and intentionally ran the other dude off the road into the shoulder. No cops, no incident report, just two drunk drivers being absolute maniacs at 2 in the morning. To be clear, I'm not saying my uncles are good people, they were interstate drug dealers and ran with an exclusively bad crowd. I know one of them got busted for what was at the time, the biggest marijuana bust in the state's history, but I've tried to find the court records but came up short. I'm excluding which state it was for privacy, but yeah, different times. Wilder times. Honestly, wish I could have been there.

By there, I don't mean in the car. Think fly on the wall.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I spent some time living in a rural area and drunk drivers are way more common than the cities. You got to really be careful and scan for them.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I spent some time living in a rural area and drunk drivers are way more common than the cities. You got to really be careful and scan for them.

I think there are pockets of humanity were people don't drink and drive - mostly in cities and suburbs where there is a lot of police activitiy. However, I have lived in a few different countries and moved around within those countries. I would say that most people drink and drive pretty consistently.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
This reminds me I once rode in the car with my friend's BF while he was high and it scared me shitless. Went off without a hitch but never again.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Only ever been drunk once at all, and I fell asleep at my friend's house and didn't wake up 'til the next morning. Even then, didn't drive home 'til the next night.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
It is not at all socially acceptable in the uk, so it is not common. Smoking whilst high is more acceptable and much more common.

i have had a few occasion where i was possibly still over the limit the next morning.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have once, with a ex girlfriend that was a really bad influence on me, I was start
to drive really reckless and I could tell. Luckily it was like in the AM and there was like nobody on the road
Edit: this was like 4 years ago, I was atleast 24

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Once when I was very young and stupid. It was enough for me never to make that stupid decision again. I didn't get into any crashes or anything, and the back roads I was taking home were deserted. But I was very aware that I was swerving and taking corners too wide.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've driven a little tipsy, but never drunk.

Me and a friend got stopped by cops while having two beers each at a lookout point after-hours and they told us to leave.

We were chilling in the car when they rolled up. I wasn't gone off the beer, especially since I'm a big guy and can hold my alcohol, but I was still feeling it a bit.

Thank God for that manual transmission making me wake up and pay attention to my rev timing and gear position.

I seriously don't understand how people drive drunk. I remember one guy saying that he drove better drunk. This is a 25 y/o man with a child that said this. Someone told me to stop him, but he had previously tried to start a fight with me over something unrelated.

Just too much of a risk.

Last edited:

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Have driven drunk a few times, tipsy a handful of others in my early 20's.
Even got pulled over by a cop while driving drunk (Illegal U turn) and played sober well enough to be let go. I even joked that I was "Obviously incredibly drunk, and please don't look in my trunk". Think the humor and (seemingly) lack of nervousness got me off.

if I have to drive these days, I severely limit my drinking so as to sober up before going anywhere. Kind of limits how often I drink because I almost always have to drive after and it's just not even worth it to spend the money without getting drunk, so I just stay sober.

High is an entirely different issue though. I drive and smoke frequently with my little vape pen.
Then again, now that Vape Pens are a thing, I'm high most of the day. Be it at work, driving, whatever.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
90s small town shit was real bad . Not only would we drink and drive but we'd drive around cruising town while drinking. We used to leave the bar go through a roadblock right down the street and say hey to the cops on our way home. I knew people who had like 5 - 24 hour suspensions which is what you got for getting caught.
I'm absolutely amazed we never knew one person who got hurt out of dozens of friends probably doing this weekly but I guess the only other good thing about small town nowhere is no-one else is really around at 4am. Thankfully we all moved to the city later and smartened up. And the perception changed too and the laws. I don't know if you can even get a 24hr anymore. But yeah small town 90s basically everyone drove home from the bar . Crazy .

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I have driven after having 1-2 beers before/during a concert or a meal and also while quite hung over but never over the legal blood alcohol limit (0.05%).

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Never ever once. Never even crossed my mind. We don't drink unplanned in this house, so me and my wife always have it worked out. If we go out, one of us is a DD, if we stay home we make sure to go out and get everything we might need for the night before we start drinking.

There is never a reason to drive drunk, and absolutely fuck everyone that does it.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Absolutely not. I don't have a license or a car either.

with a bicycle a couple of times, but I wasn't that drunk and I wore a helmet just in case.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Not knowingly. It's hard to tell the next day though if over limit bit certainly not drunk. I have a good breath tester now that cost a fair bit and I wouldn't drive till it says 0.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I was not drunk looking back. I just tend to beat myself up most of the time.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
It's something that I have always wondered about American TV / films for years that if it was actually reality or not as it seems SOOO common to drink drive.

But no personally I never have and never would. I am a bad driver sober so I would be a danger to the world drunk.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only had my license for about 2 years, but no. Not only because I can currently have literally 0 alcohol in my blood (after 3 years I can drink a beer or so and still be fine), but because I'm aware of the risks.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No, but I got my drivers license at a really old age so I'd like to think I am a bit wiser already. My policy is pretty simple. If I drive, I do not drink a single drop of alcohol.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Nope, but I did get in a car with someone who drove drunk when I was like 17. I was at a house party and one of my friends called me asking for a lift there, but I had already started drinking. So I asked around to see if anyone at the party could do it. A close friend volunteered, and off we went. I was drunk enough that I completely missed the signs that he had been drinking as well. I just assumed anyone who would offer clearly wouldn't be, which was very naive.

So yeah, that's a scary memory that crosses my mind sometimes. The worst part was when the friend who had asked for the lift mentioned it to me the next day, and it hit me like a brick that I'd unintentionally put him in danger as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I only get "drunk" in the comfort of my own home. I'll have a few beers out and about, but I'll never be the one driving or need to drive to get to whatever location, bar, party, concert, etc. I'd rather spend my high/buzz listening to music than driving. Driving while intoxicated is not only dangerous and stupid, it is a total buzz kill lol.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

Just a probability problem. Like the old joke in math circles: "you're more likely to get killed within 3 miles of your house than anywhere else, so stay away from there" lol.

Rural people have further to go when drunk, so they have more tine on the road to swerve, get pulled over, or crash.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yep, several times as a teenager and once that I can recall in college. Never since. I was young and dumb, didn't realize how dangerous I was being. Everytime I read a story about some drunk driving accident I feel bad about it. My nephew got caught driving drunk (by his mom when he got home) and I read him the riot act. I felt like a hypocrite but at the same time he needed to learn. Especially since he's half black. If I was pulled over at his age I may have just been slapped on the wrist (half white and asian, cops always assume I am just white). They could have shot him.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I stick to the "one drink" rule in the past, but I've cut all that out now. It's literally playing a dice roll unless you have a breathalyser handy, and it could be so, so damaging if you get it slightly wrong.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I don't believe so.
I stick to the "one drink" rule in the past, but I've cut all that out now. It's literally playing a dice roll unless you have a breathalyser handy, and it could be so, so damaging if you get it slightly wrong.
This basically. I regret driving even though I probably wasn't over the limit and my place was only ten minutes away when it happened. I don't like rolling dice.

Deleted member 10234

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. It was more than 10 years ago and I still regularly think about it. What a stupid fucking thing to do.
Nah, I only get "drunk" in the comfort of my own home. I'll have a few beers out and about, but I'll never be the one driving or need to drive to get to whatever location, bar, party, concert, etc. I'd rather spend my high/buzz listening to music than driving. Driving while intoxicated is not only dangerous and stupid, it is a total buzz kill lol.
How do you know if you've never done it?

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Yes lots of times.

No excuses here, just pure stupidity.
Drinking 16 cans of beer and crawl behind the wheel to drive to Amsterdam for scoring dope wasnt something abnormal for me.

But hey... 4 years clean and sober now!